• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korezo

Ouch, that doesn't sound good. I thought they were supposed to be like 0.3mm thin or something, is the fit that tight in the dock?

I probably have a terrible dock, but the fit is super tight that it always leaves scuff marks on the screen when I pull it out.

Playing bomberman in the strip club.

MnDcxXFm.jpg

lmao

U2NUMB

Got my switch today.. did not intend to but picked it up along with Zelda. Put a couple hours into it so far.. The system feels nice.. smaller than I thought it would be?? The OS is so crazy thin it sort of annoys me but I like having a ton of shit going on.

Zelda is ok so far.. never been a big fan of the series but this one plays well and I will continue to push through..

I think I will be playing it undocked 99% of the time and I see the potential but not much yet for me to play thats for sure. Glad I have it but I hope they add a ton..

oakenhild

What's the consensus on amfilm screen protectors now that people have had the chance to use them for a while? Any thermal issues, or the protectors loosening over time? I still haven't tried the dock but I'm definitely going to want to for Mario Kart at the end of the month.

My amfilm is great. I like it better than the original screen, to be honest. Feels much closer to an iPhone screen with the oleophobic coating. Can barely tell the protector is on, no bubbles or anything of that sort. I don't dock for marathon gaming sessions though.

The Argus

What's the consensus on amfilm screen protectors now that people have had the chance to use them for a while? Any thermal issues, or the protectors loosening over time? I still haven't tried the dock but I'm definitely going to want to for Mario Kart at the end of the month.

Had mine a month now, no issues. Still have a backup one as well.

spekkeh

Banned
I wish Nintendo release Mario Kart 8 deluxe this week. April 28 is a long time.
Yeah two months since Zelda is too long. It's also right at the end of my holiday with the in-laws, instead of before it.
I can imagine Nintendo only wants to release it once they have decent stock of the console though.

mojo2

Neo Member
MK8 is just 3 weeks away, and the last MK game I played was for the N64, so you can imagine my hype lol.

Damn you're in for a treat. I never liked Mario Kart until the eight. It's excellent, the animation and the 60 fps and... The whole package just works and shines and is fun.

It's essential, I love to touch the screen and wipe it clean now, not so much before. It feels lovely now, premium.

Damn you're in for a treat. I never liked Mario Kart until the eight. It's excellent, the animation and the 60 fps and... The whole package just works and shines and is fun.

Indeed the only version that comes close is double dash, but Deluxe adds ability to use 2 items and battle mode so has a real chance of being the best MK ever

So I bought a neon Switch on Saturday. My logic was if my car passed it's MOT (which I didn't think it would) the money I had saved up for my car would go towards one.

Delivery will be this week. Went in super blind and can't WAIT to play Zelda, and snake pass too.

As I've gone in pretty dark, any of those "nindies" you would recommend?

Protome

So I bought a neon Switch on Saturday. My logic was if my car passed it's MOT (which I didn't think it would) the money I had saved up for my car would go towards one.

Delivery will be this week. Went in super blind and can't WAIT to play Zelda, and snake pass too.

As I've gone in pretty dark, any of those "nindies" you would recommend?
Fast RMX and Graceful Explosion Machine are pretty good.

zigg

I have had a slightly (~1mm) bent dock since launch.

I'm not using a screen protector, but I did put electrical tape on the inside rails.

No scratches.

I do get little rubber marks on the lower corners from the rubber grips, but the dock width is as designed down there, so that's pretty normal. They always clean off when I bother with them.

Fast RMX and Graceful Explosion Machine are pretty good.
Seconded on GEM, though I got sick and now I can't focus well enough to play it. It was a lot of fun before I got sick if you like replaying levels for better scores/ranks.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Got mine on Thursday and spent my whole Saturday with it.

Easily my favourite piece of Nintendo hardware since the GBA SP. It looks and feels like a premium device, but it still has a really fun, inviting and Nintendo-y look about it - at least in the Neon SKU.

The actual switch gimmick is pretty magical, and the convenience is revelatory. I've played all over the house, and I'm definitely considering getting a second dock once they're available or if a third party comes up with a solution.

It is odd going from a state of the art handheld experience to a roughly-last-gen console experience, but the adaptability of the Switch more than makes up for it.

I was worried for the Switch after its terrible reveal, but I think it's gonna do well. It's been a long time since Nintendo's had hardware that is as exciting as the software, and now that the latter doesn't have to do all the heavy lifting in the marketing, it's easy to imagine the Switch proliferating once people start encountering it via friends/family/colleagues. It's just a very want-able device.

ParityBit

My amfilm went on perfectly and still looks brand new. I can't imagine the system without it.

This is so true. Can't even tell it is there.

MK8 is just 3 weeks away, and the last MK game I played was for the N64, so you can imagine my hype lol.

Same! I am actually looking forward to trying it with my 3 year old. Him and I have been playing the demo of Lego Batman in Target when we go there and he loves it. We just run around the starting area, but still!

deadfolk

Does anyone know if a UK eShop code for a game will work on an EU account? I know currency codes do not.

I know you can just create a UK account, but I'm trying to avoid spreading my games across more accounts than necessary.

Persona7

Banned
I just noticed that Nintendo manufactures the power adapters in the Philippines and China. Interesting. I wonder if this has anything to do with the serial number variations.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Well, I decided to get my left joy con repaired so that's it been sent away. Didn't feel comfortable doing a DIY repair. I've boxed the rest of the console and hidden it away so I don't need to spend who knows how long staring at it. I just want to play Zelda but I am forever waiting. Waited 9 days for it to arrive after ordering (arrived yesterday) and now I'll be unable to play it until the Joy Con comes back.

Anyone in the UK who has sent their Joy Con any idea of how long the turnaround time is?

Anyone else's gray Joy-Cons getting shiny around the buttons, on the back, etc.?

Anyone figured out a way to fix that? Or is it just that the gray Joy-Cons have a bad finish for controllers?

Mine is shiny around the buttons... not sure about the back. Not sure if it's cleanable and I wish I had been able to find a neon Switch.

Yeah, mine became like that rather quickly. Haven't seen anything about neon users having this issue thus far.

My red one is like this. Happened with my 3DS too. Nothing to do about it as far as I know.

Felensis

Banned
So I've discovered that my Switch is clearly visibly bent. Also the case seems to uncomfortably widen just in the middle of the console right above the USB C port. Already contacted Nintendo EU about it. First they said as long as it works fine I shouldn't worry lol, but then afterwards they said if I feel uncomfortable with it I should send it in. I don't want to be picky, but what has been seen cannot be unseen and now I see the bent with my bare eyes as well. Also I don't want to risk that this causes any unknown issues in the future (most probably only just a bit after when my guarantee ended :p).

So now I will send it in probably next week. Already have 90hrs in Zelda and am right before smashing Ganon. My biggest fear is that they won't be able to transfer my savegames. That would be absolutely devastating...

Did anyone of GAF sent in their Switch because of this? Experiences?

img_05803pzxx.jpg

img_056945u52.jpg

Jessensor

Not sure if this has been discussed, I was pondering this while falling asleep last night.

Could the switch ever be used for mobile VR, kinda like Gear VR and the other mobile VR solutions?

Nintendo could make a headset to slot the switch into. Joy cons act as handheld controllers. Feels perfect.

What would the limitations be? I guess you need a camera, and the screen might not be high res enough.

Aiii

So not worth it
Not sure if this has been discussed, I was pondering this while falling asleep last night.

Could the switch ever be used for mobile VR, kinda like Gear VR and the other mobile VR solutions?

Nintendo could make a headset to slot the switch into. Joy cons act as handheld controllers. Feels perfect.

What would the limitations be? I guess you need a camera, and the screen might not be high res enough.

It would be just like mobile phone VR, at worse resolutions.

I also don't think VR is ever going to be a mainstream thing that's gonna sell systems, so it would be a waste of energy for Nintendo to invest in it by releasing add-ons, a higher res handheld, just so they can pander to a niche crowd.

They have a patent for such a headset already. The resolution is a limiting factor, yes.

Falchion

Well, I decided to get my left joy con repaired so that's it been sent away. Didn't feel comfortable doing a DIY repair. I've boxed the rest of the console and hidden it away so I don't need to spend who knows how long staring at it. I just want to play Zelda but I am forever waiting. Waited 9 days for it to arrive after ordering (arrived yesterday) and now I'll be unable to play it until the Joy Con comes back.

Anyone in the UK who has sent their Joy Con any idea of how long the turnaround time is?

That's rough. Maybe buy a Pro controller so that you can at least play in the meantime? Kind of crazy to spend more money on the hardware because of an issue that shouldn't have been there though.

Iced

Anyone experiencing slightly loose Joy-Cons when in handheld mode? Is this a widespread issue or am I losing my mind slowly?

Not necessarily loose, but my neon joycons (that I bought separately) creak noticeably when in handheld mode. My grey joycons that came with the system don't. It's not enough for me to return them to the store, but they definitely have a different feel when I'm holding them - almost like they've had years of use. I'm curious if my grey joycons will eventually do the same thing.

dgco86

For some reason, when my Switch is connected to the dock via the USB-C extension cable, my wired ethernet adaptor is not detected, even when I go into Internet Settings and manually select wired network. The wired connection is detected automatically if I dock the Switch normally however.

I've tested this with 2 different wired ethernet adaptors (1 for the Wii and a 3rd party Gigabit adaptor) and 2 different extension cables and both exhibit the same issue. The ethernet adaptors work perfectly fine when the Switch is docked.

Anyone else facing this issue?

If the Ethernet adapters work fine when docked but not with the extension cable...it's probably the extension cable (or perhaps the seating). Do you know the spec of the cable (USB 2.0, 3.0, 3.1*?), and what length is it? If it's a longer cable you might want to try a shorter one. I'd guess it's just a signal degradation thing.

*Technically 3.0 got semi rebranded to "3.1 gen 1" once 3.1 came out, which itself became "3.1 gen 2". Or "Superspeed" vs "Superspeed+", or 5gbps vs 10gbps. I'd be kinda surprised if the Switch used 10gbps USB cause it isn't necessary for what it has now, but who knows.

This is the cable I got:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FM4ZWV0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It claims to be USB 3.1 Gen 2, but I have seen a few reviews complaining about issues with data transfer/USB peripherals when using the cable. I've stopped using it for now since I'm a bit concerned about the cable potentially causing long term damage to the Switch.

I've done further testing and realized that the issue pretty much extends to USB peripherals in general. My Pro Controller when hooked up to the dock's USB port will charge if the Switch is docked normally, but not when the extension cable is used.

As mentioned by japtor, this could be cable length related since someone I know with a 1.6ft cable doesn't seem to have this problem. I'm using a 3.3ft cable.

Has anyone had any issues with their right joycon lately? Mine just straight up died and wouldn't charge all the sudden. Apparently it had in-paired at some point so I just had to pair it again and it's fine...but strange.

Also, has the joy con wheel accessory been up at amazon at any point? Says it's unavailable at this point..wasn't sure if it had ever been listed or if pre-orders have sold out

Iced

Has anyone had any issues with their right joycon lately? Mine just straight up died and wouldn't charge all the sudden. Apparently it had in-paired at some point so I just had to pair it again and it's fine...but strange.

Also, has the joy con wheel accessory been up at amazon at any point? Says it's unavailable at this point..wasn't sure if it had ever been listed or if pre-orders have sold out

Only issue I've had with my right joycon is gyro drift. It seems to come and go, though.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Anyone experiencing slightly loose Joy-Cons when in handheld mode? Is this a widespread issue or am I losing my mind slowly?

I can feel the joy cons move a tiny bit sometimes but honestly doesn't bother me. The whole console feels really well built and designed. I tried holding it with one hand and didn't feel any flexing. I'm happy with it.

That's rough. Maybe buy a Pro controller so that you can at least play in the meantime? Kind of crazy to spend more money on the hardware because of an issue that shouldn't have been there though.

I can't really afford £65 for a pro controller right now. Spent a while saving money for a Switch. Already paid £340 for the console + zelda. I have my ps4 and pc to keep me busy anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom