• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last time I noticed the fan just flat out stops when you put the system into sleep mode so I put in the dock and started BOTW up again and had my tv muted and put the Switch in Sleep mode, and the fan just stops until I wake the system up.

Could that be the cause of the warping?

I have a mild inflation of the lower back end of the switch like it has a little butt, but it's not bending the front side of the screen at all.

Mega

Banned
Not sure if this has been discussed, I was pondering this while falling asleep last night.

Could the switch ever be used for mobile VR, kinda like Gear VR and the other mobile VR solutions?

Nintendo could make a headset to slot the switch into. Joy cons act as handheld controllers. Feels perfect.

What would the limitations be? I guess you need a camera, and the screen might not be high res enough.

--very low resolution (640x720p per eye), lower than Oculus Rift DK1

--not a low persistence screen, so expect nausea-inducing motion blur and input lag

--hardware isn't powerful enough to offer more than very basic graphics if it wants to hit 60fps

--cannot do the optimal 90-120fps to minimize nausea

--tablet is very large/heavy compared to the phones used for mobile VR

I don't look forward to VR with the current iteration of the Switch. Maybe a lighter, more powerful, higher-res model.

Got my Switch today, and holding it for the first time was kind of a surreal experience. Loving everything about it so far. My LZ clicks louder than my RZ, but I was planning on buying a set of blue joycons at some point anyway, so it's fine. Having the joycons attach to the controller grip is surprisingly comfortable, and I really like how sleek and accessible the UI is.

JoeM86

If I had to, I could link my Japanese account to my UK Switch then unlink it later, linking it to my Japanese Switch when I could, right?

Hey guys and gals,

What are the chances of a Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze port for the switch?

I sold my Wii U but kept a few games (this was in the hope Ninty's new console would be backwards compatible before we knew what it was going to be) and I look at it all the time wishing I could experience that game again, but on the handheld!

It's a crime not enough people got to experience that game, along with many other amazing Wii U titles. Just wondered if anyone reckons it might come? I really hope so!

spekkeh

Banned
So I've discovered that my Switch is clearly visibly bent. Also the case seems to uncomfortably widen just in the middle of the console right above the USB C port. Already contacted Nintendo EU about it. First they said as long as it works fine I shouldn't worry lol, but then afterwards they said if I feel uncomfortable with it I should send it in. I don't want to be picky, but what has been seen cannot be unseen and now I see the bent with my bare eyes as well. Also I don't want to risk that this causes any unknown issues in the future (most probably only just a bit after when my guarantee ended :p).

So now I will send it in probably next week. Already have 90hrs in Zelda and am right before smashing Ganon. My biggest fear is that they won't be able to transfer my savegames. That would be absolutely devastating...

Did anyone of GAF sent in their Switch because of this? Experiences?

img_05803pzxx.jpg

img_056945u52.jpg
Of course not. Come on.

Shahadan

Hey guys and gals,

What are the chances of a Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze port for the switch?

I sold my Wii U but kept a few games (this was in the hope Ninty's new console would be backwards compatible before we knew what it was going to be) and I look at it all the time wishing I could experience that game again, but on the handheld!

It's a crime not enough people got to experience that game, along with many other amazing Wii U titles. Just wondered if anyone reckons it might come? I really hope so!

Well considering it didn't even use the gamepad we can say its chances are better than the rest.
But I wouldn't expect it anytime soon unless they got another DK game in their bags or a big hole in their planning.

Well considering it didn't even use the gamepad we can say its chances are better than the rest.
But I wouldn't expect it anytime soon unless they got another DK game in their bags or a big hole in their planning.

Yeah good point tbf I forgot about the complete lack of gamepad use! Fingers crossed.

Raitaro

Is there a way to bring up the power options using the pro controller? Or do I have to go to the console itself for it to pop up?

If there is a way to activate it using the controller, I haven't found it. It's been my biggest beef with the system in terms of the UI. No idea why they made sleep mode the standard option for the system (even in docked mode) when pressing the power button (save for it perhaps suiting the handheld configuration best). Hopefully they'll patch in a way to alter this to a power down option later.

Hey guys and gals,

Hey, I hear ya! Love that game. More people should indeed try it.

Bring on many (enhanced, MK8 Deluxe style) Wii U ports to fill out the first party release schedule I say, as well as a few Wii ports ones to boot (like Donkey Kong Country Returns).

Persona7

Banned
You can't power down without holding the button while the system is not in the dock. You can power a system on with a controller by holding the home button though...really weird decision.

Is it even normal for consoles to allow themselves to be shut completely off from a wireless controller? They go into some low power mode so they can be wirelessly woken back up.

inner-G

Banned
Is it even normal for consoles to allow themselves to be shut completely off from a wireless controller? They go into some low power mode so they can be wirelessly woken back up.

Yes? I always turn mine all the way off instead of putting them into sleep mode (360/PS3/XBO/PS4)

Persona7

Banned

I can do this on my PS3, 360, PS4, Wii, Wii U and probably others. You can wake the switch up wirelessly when the system is completely shut down so why would it matter?

Raitaro

The PS4 definitely allows for it in the sense that you can navigate the menu and choose "turn off", so not through a direct button command on the controller as far as I know. To be clear, I was hoping the Switch would also allow me to enter (the currently hidden behind holding down the power button on the console for a short while, thereby risking the screen to touch the dock even more...) power option menu somewhere within the home menu using the controller, not necessarily for it to directly power down using a button press.

I can do this on my PS3, 360, PS4, Wii, Wii U and probably others. You can wake the switch up wirelessly when the system is completely shut down so why would it matter?

Indeed. That said the second sentence of your post actually worries me too since this means that there is no guaranteed way to avoid accidentally powering on the system when carrying it with you along with the pro controller, especially since the latter is very easy to wake up with any button press while in a bag. I assume the wake up only happens when you hold the home screen button on the pro for a longer while, or?

Petohtalrayn

Neo Member
Anyone experiencing slightly loose Joy-Cons when in handheld mode? Is this a widespread issue or am I losing my mind slowly?

Yeah this is happening to me too. My right joycon was a little looser than the left from day 1. About a week later it creaks a little and wiggles just a tiny bit. The left one is pretty sturdy though. I searched a bit online and it seems sorta common but probably not a big deal.

Bluenoser

So many issues being reported here... not sure if anyone has had the one I'm going to ask about, but its worth a shot.

I just noticed my Switch (docked) blinking on and off by itself. I haven't used it in a couple of days, and when I sat down I noticed the screen was lit. Puzzled, I watched it for a few seconds, and it turned off, then back on, etc. I grabbed one of my joycons and pressed the home button to turn it on, and nothing happened, and I couldn't get it to display on my TV either. I had to remove it from the dock to get it to respond.

Overall, not a huge issue I guess, but I'd rather it didn't do this, as I assume its not supposed to (or is it?)

Futureman

Probably the biggest mainstream portable ever? Still ok though to just throw in a pocket if you are moving between rooms or have to stop playing briefly and move around.

This is my foot stance playing Zelda at all times. Even if I'm on the bus.

hjhSkFSl.jpg

icespide

Banned
Probably the biggest mainstream portable ever? Still ok though to just throw in a pocket if you are moving between rooms or have to stop playing briefly and move around.

hjhSkFSl.jpg

I'd be terrified of it falling out

Pif

Banned
Is anyone noticing right joy con battery drainage much faster than the left one?

Playing Zelda, my right JC will drop to half charge while the blue JC is still at 80% or so.

hjhSkFSl.jpg

bruh i'm getting second-hand anxiety from looking at this.

Persona7

Banned
The PS4 definitely allows for it in the sense that you can navigate the menu and choose "power down", so not through a direct button command on the controller as far as I know. To be clear, I was hoping the Switch would also allow me to enter (the currently hidden behind holding down the power button on the console for a short while, thereby risking the screen to touch the dock even more...) power option menu somewhere within the home menu using the controller, not necessarily for it to directly power down using a button press.

Indeed. That said the second sentence of your post actually worries me too since this means that there is no guaranteed way to avoid accidentally powering on the system when carrying it with you along with the pro controller, especially since the latter is very easy to wake up with any button press while in a bag. I assume the wake up only happens when you hold the home screen button on the pro for a longer while, or?

Yeah, you have to press the button down for like 2-3 seconds before it wakes.

JSoup

Banned
Oh joy, I get to fight with Nintendo's shitty online again just to set up the same account I've set up five times.
Yes, Nintendo, I have a mynintendo account and a NNID, stop telling me I don't. I'm literally looking at the page right now.
No, Nintendo, that was not the wrong Facebook password, I just used it to login on my PC.
Yes, Switch, I know, you 'can't connect to the internet cause wifi lol' while you're currently online downloading updates.

I managed to luck into mine, i had heard some gamestop employees talking about how they were getting a shipment in at noon a few mornings ago when i went to grab persona, decided to skip persona and waited around til 12, shipment came in and i got one and zelda, didnt get the pro controller as this was alread financially irresponsible, but im gonna grab one next week.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
While my joycon is off getting fixed I am looking for a screen protector + case. I know the orzly protector seems to be popular but what about case? I was looking at the Hori one but noticed orzly have one too which seems better reviewed.

gnomed

I managed to luck into mine, i had heard some gamestop employees talking about how they were getting a shipment in at noon a few mornings ago when i went to grab persona, decided to skip persona and waited around til 12, shipment came in and i got one and zelda, didnt get the pro controller as this was alread financially irresponsible, but im gonna grab one next week.

Welcome to the club. I think your enjoyment with Zelda will ease your buyers remorse.

Nosgotham

Oh joy, I get to fight with Nintendo's shitty online again just to set up the same account I've set up five times.
Yes, Nintendo, I have a mynintendo account and a NNID, stop telling me I don't. I'm literally looking at the page right now.
No, Nintendo, that was not the wrong Facebook password, I just used it to login on my PC.
Yes, Switch, I know, you 'can't connect to the internet cause wifi lol' while you're currently online downloading updates.

None of the problems have surfaced for me. Sounds like some bad luck. I've found it quite easy to link and unify eShop accounts, my Nintendo etc....

What's wrong with wifi?

Felensis

Banned
Of course not. Come on.

So you think such a warped console case isn't worth the fuzz? No one can tell me how this develops further down the line besides it's odd looking. If my Switch gets a defect because of this heck even just a crack in its case while my guarantee has ended what then?

I simply cannot accept such a faulty device in 2017 and for a price of 330€.

So no one else here on GAF with the same issue? Do you send your unit in? Yes? No? Thoughts?

Yes? I always turn mine all the way off instead of putting them into sleep mode (360/PS3/XBO/PS4)
I'm surprised. I mean, if something is there listening for a wireless signal, I wouldn't consider it all the way off. All the way off products don't continually light LEDs displaying their presence. I'm thinking of something like PS2 which had a switch on the back for when you really really wanted it without power, and assumed taking the Switch past sleep mode was the equivalent of that.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So you think such a warped console case isn't worth the fuzz? No one can tell me how this develops further down the line besides it's odd looking. If my Switch gets a defect because of this heck even just a crack in its case while my guarantee has ended what then?

So no one else here on GAF with the same issue? Do you send your unit in? Yes? No? Thoughts?
I wouldn't bother personally, Would you have noticed this on your own without any outsider feedback? If no then it's probably not an issue. But it sounds like you've already made up your mind.

Felensis

Banned
I wouldn't bother personally, Would you have noticed this on your own without any outsider feedback? If no then it's probably not an issue. But it sounds like you've already made up your mind.

No, not really. Of course I'm a bit upset about it, but on the otherside I don't want to send it in and risk losing my saves (finished BOTW just yesterday after 95 hours). That's why I asked GAF if others are affected and what they've done (or if they have done anything at all about it).

ASIS

Not that your point isn't valid, I agree with everything you said. But why do people put the "it's 2017!" Part in their rants. Would you accept these faults in 2016?

Aiii

So not worth it

It's a 2mm bend at the back of the device. If you want to send it in, go right ahead, but a slight bend of a bit of plastic that you're not even going to see (I know you claim to see it with your bare eyes, but the bend is way too small for that so that's just your mind playing tricks on you) wouldn't be worth the hassle to me, especially since I'm not looking at anything but the -perfectly flat- front of the device.

Felensis

Banned
It's a 2mm bend at the back of the device. If you want to send it in, go right ahead, but a slight bend of a bit of plastic that you're not even going to see (I know you claim to see it with your bare eyes, but the bend is way too small for that so that's just your mind playing tricks on you) wouldn't be worth the hassle to me, especially since I'm not looking at anything but the -perfectly flat- front of the device.

Hmm... yeah, probably you're right. I might have to settle down a bit. It wasn't an issue to me all the weeks prior to the reports and, to be honest, isn't really one after. Still a bit worried if this could lead to any defect or damage like cracks in the case because then I would have to send it in (and if it's out of the guarantee timeframe then I would have to pay for it).

Has anyone had issues with dodgy battery percentage readings? Mine goes all of the place. Sometimes it will charge very quick, like in 30mins go from 15% to 80%. Then I turned it off, unplugged everything then turned it on and 74%.

graybot

So, I decided to add some funds to my Nintendo account via their website for my son (This is the Ireland / UK site)

Why does this not seem to be possible, unless I am being stupid? I was going to add funds and then pre order Mario Kart for Switch.

I decided to delve a little deeper, and noticed it does not seem to be possible to order any games digitally. Under 1-2 Switch it says ”Out of Stock" But it's a digital copy!! How can that be out of stock? For Zelda it does not even give you the option to buy a digital copy.

I assume this is all possible directly on the console itself. But I don't have access to it at the moment. Surely the website should have these options. I want to give them money but they will not allow me to.

PS. If its me missing something very obvious I apologise in advance to Nintendo

So, I decided to add some funds to my Nintendo account via their website for my son (This is the Ireland / UK site)

Why does this not seem to be possible, unless I am being stupid? I was going to add funds and then pre order Mario Kart for Switch.

I decided to delve a little deeper, and noticed it does not seem to be possible to order any games digitally. Under 1-2 Switch it says “Out of Stock” But it’s a digital copy!! How can that be out of stock? For Zelda it does not even give you the option to buy a digital copy.

I assume this is all possible directly on the console itself. But I don’t have access to it at the moment. Surely the website should have these options. I want to give them money but they will not allow me to.

PS. If its me missing something very obvious I apologise in advance to Nintendo

I've bought digital copies from Nintendo.com multiple times, but that's the North American sites. That doesn't sound right at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom