• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely, its just like you said, you have to use it to feel how good it is. I personally love portable mode, but I've also been using docked mode more and more. The versatility of this console makes it quite unlike anything before.

And it will only get better as they add more games and features to it (a youtube app would be insanely good on this).

MK8 is just 3 weeks away, and the last MK game I played was for the N64, so you can imagine my hype lol.

It's the best entry in the franchise - so good that I'll gladly double-dip. So yeah - you're in for a treat! :)

Flaxh

Hi everyone!

My girlfriend loved the Wii and so I decided to get a Switch for us. We're almost finishing Snipperclips and she's loving it so I'd like to know if there's another challenging and fun co-op game to keep us entertained until MK8 comes out.

Hi everyone!

My girlfriend loved the Wii and so I decided to get a Switch for us. We're almost finishing Snipperclips and she's loving it so I'd like to know if there's another challenging and fun co-op game to keep us entertained until MK8 comes out.

World of Goo has co-op and comes highly recommended.

jonno394

Hi everyone!

For retail couch co op with one pair of joycons you've got Bomberman and skylanders. There's also lego city undercover but that requires a second controller.

There's nothing else like Snipperclips available digitally, but shovel Knight and world of goo has full fledged co-op, as do a lot of the neo geo games.

Peterc

My switch language is set on English, but the shop is in French. I'm dutch speaking. I can't read French that well. Where can I change this? I prefer English.

Shahadan

My switch language is set on English, but the shop is in French. I'm dutch speaking. I can't read French that well. Where can I change this? I prefer English.

Belgium I suppose? I think the eshop language is tied to the country you chose in your nintendo account, but they probably forgot about countries with multiple languages.

zigg

Anyone else's gray Joy-Cons getting shiny around the buttons, on the back, etc.?

Anyone figured out a way to fix that? Or is it just that the gray Joy-Cons have a bad finish for controllers?

sirap

Anyone else's gray Joy-Cons getting shiny around the buttons, on the back, etc.?

Anyone figured out a way to fix that? Or is it just that the gray Joy-Cons have a bad finish for controllers?

Yeah, my main joycons have developed quite a bit of shine around the edges. Sweat and oil will do that to plastic.

Nothing you can do besides putting on those rubber condoms. You could also sand them down and give it a fresh coat of paint.

Futureman

Mine is shiny around the buttons... not sure about the back. Not sure if it's cleanable and I wish I had been able to find a neon Switch.

Hi everyone!

Neo Turf Masters. Setup split joycons in the controller settings in the OS (not in game) and have a good time.

Yeah, done it twice now.

Just got back my joycon last week as well. If they had told me to send in the system, they would have gotten laughed at.

Did you have any trouble convincing them to let you send in the joy-cons without sending in the system? When I tried they told me that if both my joycons were having problems that I had to send in my system and wouldn't let me just send in the joycons alone.

Nintendo never mentioned the console to me, only the joycon.

zigg

Mine is shiny around the buttons... not sure about the back. Not sure if it's cleanable and I wish I had been able to find a neon Switch.
I got a pair of red Joy-Cons recently and I love them. Seriously considering selling the used grays to someone who doesn't care about the look and just wants more controllers.

AbaFadi

Banned
Just got back my joycon last week as well. If they had told me to send in the system, they would have gotten laughed at.

Nintendo never mentioned the console to me, only the joycon.

Thanks for replying. They told me that if the left joycon was having problems I could just send that in, but since both were having problems, they wanted the system with it. What annoys me is that I'm pretty sure based on what I am reading from the internet is that its not my system that is having problems but the joycons themselves and the guy wouldn't just let me send in the joycons. Gonna try calling them again tomorrow.

taparoo

Decided I'm going to have to send my left joycon in for "repair", and I play about 50/50 docked/handheld so I wanted to buy another set before I sent it in. I already have black, so I really wanted something different and finally found a set of neon red/blue yesterday in Wal-mart. Since attaching them to the console I don't know why I ever chose black in the first place. The colors make the Switch so much more.... happy.

Thanks for replying. They told me that if the left joycon was having problems I could just send that in, but since both were having problems, they wanted the system with it. What annoys me is that I'm pretty sure based on what I am reading from the internet is that its not my system that is having problems but the joycons themselves and the guy wouldn't just let me send in the joycons. Gonna try calling them again tomorrow.

I can kind of see where they're coming from because both are having the issue versus the one known for it. Do you have an other joycons to compare? Worst come to worst, you can always say you have a second set that works fine so you know that the issue is with those specific joycons and not the console. I'd only suggest that if you are dead set on not sending the system though.

zigg

Decided I'm going to have to send my left joycon in for "repair", and I play about 50/50 docked/handheld so I wanted to buy another set before I sent it in. I already have black, so I really wanted something different and finally found a set of neon red/blue yesterday in Wal-mart. Since attaching them to the console I don't know why I ever chose black in the first place. The colors make the Switch so much more.... happy.
Yeah, I got a set of reds and am similarly in love.

I didn't want to get the red/blue set though since I figured I'd be adding more Joy-Cons later and there isn't a blue/red set.

AbaFadi

Banned
I can kind of see where they're coming from because both are having the issue versus the one known for it. Do you have an other joycons to compare? Worst come to worst, you can always say you have a second set that works fine so you know that the issue is with those specific joycons and not the console. I'd only suggest that if you are dead set on not sending the system though.

Yeah I'll try doing that. I'd rather not send the system in since they said that I may lose all of my data (don't want to restart Zelda). I want to see what they can do with the joycons and if it doesn't work out even after I send it in, I'll consider sending in the system. Truthfully, I haven't used the joycons much since I have a pro controller, but from the limited time I used it I haven't had any trouble while playing Zelda. It's only when I cross my legs and try to calibrate the control sticks on system settings that I notice it becomes less responsive within 10 ft on both joycons, but I'd rather get them fixed so it doesn't become a problem for future games. My pro controller doesn't have any syncing issues though so I guess that's why I think it has more to do with the joycons than the system. Thanks for your advice.

Can I PLEASE TURN OFF that goofy "press +" for second player on the HUD in the upper right hand corner? Please WB let me disable this overlay. It is so frustrating and distracting to see constantly while trying to play...

I don't have friends who want to play at 32 yo in a state where I don't live with them anymore...

Leave me be to play alone without reminding me of my own loneliness.

zigg

Can I PLEASE TURN OFF that goofy "press +" for second player on the HUD in the upper right hand corner? Please WB let me disable this overlay. It is so frustrating and distracting to see constantly while trying to play...

I don't have friends who want to play at 32 yo in a state where I don't live with them anymore...

Leave me be to play alone without reminding me of my own loneliness.
There's a thread for LCU.

What's up with the Nintendo Store only accepting two payment methods? I wanted to order another dock for when Mario Kart comes out, but they only accept Visa and MasterCard. :|

Persona7

Banned
What's up with the Nintendo Store only accepting two payment methods? I wanted to order another dock for when Mario Kart comes out, but they only accept Visa and MasterCard. :|

You can buy a vanilla visa gift card at pretty much any convenience store. I believe it has a $3.95 activation fee and then you can load whatever amount you want.

Waji

No not at all, in fact, it's the exact same cover, except that all the writings, title included, are in Japanese.

I printed the cover mainly so that it fits with my other NA games and to be able to read what's on it. :)
I see.
Though I'd say what's written on a box is rarely very interesting : P.

Yeah I'll try doing that. I'd rather not send the system in since they said that I may lose all of my data (don't want to restart Zelda). I want to see what they can do with the joycons and if it doesn't work out even after I send it in, I'll consider sending in the system. Truthfully, I haven't used the joycons much since I have a pro controller, but from the limited time I used it I haven't had any trouble while playing Zelda. It's only when I cross my legs and try to calibrate the control sticks on system settings that I notice it becomes less responsive within 10 ft on both joycons, but I'd rather get them fixed so it doesn't become a problem for future games. My pro controller doesn't have any syncing issues though so I guess that's why I think it has more to do with the joycons than the system. Thanks for your advice.

No problem. I spent my early twenties working tech support, so I know what to tell em lol.

Just got me a Switch!

I bundled my Wii U games (the ones I know will be re-made eventually) to trade in at Gamestop until I saw the store closed down months ago. Then I returned to Best Buy, and discovered they follow a pawn-shop law citing the necessity of a receipt when accepting trade-ins (I didn't keep a receipt for any of the games).

Anyway, I want to sell these games off before I buy any new ones for the Switch, so I guess Amazon is my best option.

Just got me a Switch!

I bundled my Wii U games (the ones I know will be re-made eventually) to trade in at Gamestop until I saw the store closed down months ago. Then I returned to Best Buy, and discovered they follow a pawn-shop law citing the necessity of a receipt when accepting trade-ins (I didn't keep a receipt for any of the games).

Anyway, I want to sell these games off before I buy any new ones for the Switch, so I guess Amazon is my best option.

Pawn shop law? That specific to your area. They never asked me for that. Kind of ridiculous. A receipt would only serve to remind me of how little they give in comparison to what I paid.

Yeah, mine became like that rather quickly. Haven't seen anything about neon users having this issue thus far.

Pawn shop law? That specific to your area. They never asked me for that. Kind of ridiculous. A receipt would only serve to remind me of how little they give in comparison to what I paid.

Yes it is.

It sort of marginalizes a facet of Best Buy's GCU program, IMO. There are some local re-sellers, including used record shops, that are suffering for it. The law is in place to prevent the sale of stolen property. Additionally, the police department wants the stores to hold items for 15 days for police inspection before they can be re-sold.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Got my Switch today! Really impressed by it.

It does have the left joy con issue but I could only replicate it by sticking it behind my back and of course I'm not gonna play like that! Works just fine when I am resting my hands on my bed/chest. My legs are kinda in the way a little and my TV is sitting slightly in front of the dock which is at the side of the tv. I'm not sitting close to the console...maybe roughly 10ft away from it. I even tried it in the living room where the dock was slightly further away. Right now I don't think I'm gonna bother sending it in unless it starts happening more I play. Only played as far as doing the first shrine.

The dock looks slightly bent inwards and has already left scuff marks but eh whatever. The Switch goes in and out of the dock pretty easily. Not gonna bother with a screen protector. Probably get a case at some point though.

The switch itself doesn't look bent. I know that was a recent issue that appeared. Not even gonna bother checking tbh. Also no dead pixels on the screen as far as I can tell. Wi Fi signal on both 2.4/5GHz is pretty poor. I get 210Mb/s down and 12Mb/s up but over wifi with the Switch upstairs in my bedroom I got 9down 8up. Probably will buy an ethernet adapter soon and connect it to my network switch.

Using the OS is so fast and responsive. I love it. Definitely barebones but fine by me. Would be cool if it eventually gets a browser or stuff like Netflix but I'm here to play games.

Joycons I have to say are uncomfortable when not attached to the console. My hands were starting to get sore quite quickly but I do have big hands. Tried attaching the wrist straps but that made it worse. The grip is actually quite good but might take a while to get used to.

I'm just leaving it to charge now but yeah I like the Switch. Only thing on my mind is this left joy con and what to do about it. I'll spend a couple days playing and decide what to do then.

zigg

It sort of marginalizes a facet of Best Buy's GCU program, IMO. There are some local re-sellers, including used record shops, that are suffering for it. The law is in place to prevent the sale of stolen property. Additionally, the police department wants the stores to hold items for 15 days for police inspection before they can be re-sold.
Would not be surprised if it turned out that businesses competing with used merchandise sales lobbied for a law like that.

It does have the left joy con issue but I could only replicate it by sticking it behind my back and of course I'm not gonna play like that! Works just fine when I am resting my hands on my bed/chest. My legs are kinda in the way a little and my TV is sitting slightly in front of the dock which is at the side of the tv. I'm not sitting close to the console...maybe roughly 10ft away from it. I even tried it in the living room where the dock was slightly further away. Right now I don't think I'm gonna bother sending it in unless it starts happening more I play. Only played as far as doing the first shrine.

The dock looks slightly bent inwards and has already left scuff marks but eh whatever. The Switch goes in and out of the dock pretty easily. Not gonna bother with a screen protector. Probably get a case at some point though.

The switch itself doesn't look bent. I know that was a recent issue that appeared. Not even gonna bother checking tbh. Also no dead pixels on the screen as far as I can tell. Wi Fi signal on both 2.4/5GHz is pretty poor. I get 210Mb/s down and 12Mb/s up but over wifi with the Switch upstairs in my bedroom I got 9down 8up. Probably will buy an ethernet adapter soon and connect it to my network switch.

Using the OS is so fast and responsive. I love it. Definitely barebones but fine by me. Would be cool if it eventually gets a browser or stuff like Netflix but I'm here to play games.

Joycons I have to say are uncomfortable when not attached to the console. My hands were starting to get sore quite quickly but I do have big hands. Tried attaching the wrist straps but that made it worse. The grip is actually quite good but might take a while to get used to.

I'm just leaving it to charge now but yeah I like the Switch. Only thing on my mind is this left joy con and what to do about it. I'll spend a couple days playing and decide what to do then.

Congrats. Got mine today, too.

What games you get with it?

Playing bomberman in the strip club.

MnDcxXFm.jpg

Yousefb

I'm sure it has been addressed in this thread already but the whole warping/bending issue has gotten me paranoid. I took my switch out of the dock earlier today and I noticed around where the volume controls are, there is a small gap between the two parts of the console. It's not seemless. And If I squeeze I can push the two parts together, closing the gap. I tried taking pictures but it's really hard to show it in pics. I have no idea if this was always there and I am only noticing it now after reading those reports, or if there really is some sort of warping occurring. I'll be really bummed if I notice it getting worse. I'll keep my eye on it i suppose. Anyone else experiencing something similar?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

If you think you'll be in and out of the dock a lot, then I would consider a glass screen protector. Should never scratch against plastic, unlike the standard plastic covering

Firebrand

What's the consensus on amfilm screen protectors now that people have had the chance to use them for a while? Any thermal issues, or the protectors loosening over time? I still haven't tried the dock but I'm definitely going to want to for Mario Kart at the end of the month.

//ARCANUM

Just got me a Switch!

I'm guessing that "pawn shop law" is why your gamestop closed down too. That's lame as shit.

I have decided that I would like a phone mounting bracket for my switch, so I can play Zelda, watch TV, and take a crap all at the same time. Glorious!

ColdPizza

Banned
I'm sure it has been addressed in this thread already but the whole warping/bending issue has gotten me paranoid. I took my switch out of the dock earlier today and I noticed around where the volume controls are, there is a small gap between the two parts of the console. It's not seemless. And If I squeeze I can push the two parts together, closing the gap. I tried taking pictures but it's really hard to show it in pics. I have no idea if this was always there and I am only noticing it now after reading those reports, or if there really is some sort of warping occurring. I'll be really bummed if I notice it getting worse. I'll keep my eye on it i suppose. Anyone else experiencing something similar?

Yeah. I have some noticeable gaps at the seams. It is what it is. I'm not letting it bother me.

Korezo

What's the consensus on amfilm screen protectors now that people have had the chance to use them for a while? Any thermal issues, or the protectors loosening over time? I still haven't tried the dock but I'm definitely going to want to for Mario Kart at the end of the month.

I don't like it, it doesn't cover the whole screen, makes fitting the switch on the dock super tight, for the couple of hours I played zelda docked it already lost adhesive on the bottom left corner so now theres a little bubble.

I'm guessing that "pawn shop law" is why your gamestop closed down too. That's lame as shit.

Yeah..

Currently Delaware, the District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio, Utah and Washington state include video games as items that need to be tracked and reported to police. Many counties and municipalities also have secondhand goods ordinances that apply to purchases of used video games. That means that stores like Best Buy, Target, Play N Trade and GameStop now find themselves asking employees in some states to collect a variety of information on their customers including fingerprints, photos and physical descriptions.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/14/3559882/how-selling-used-games-marks-you-as-a-potential-criminal

I think Best Buy found a loophole in the intrusive requirement by asking trade-in customers for receipts which would automatically nullify the possibility that the incoming goods could be potentially stolen. Ironically enough, I wish they hadn't because I don't keep old receipts and wouldn't have a problem providing personal information since I'd be giving it to them anyway for GCU membership.

Firebrand

I don't like it, it doesn't cover the whole screen, makes fitting the switch on the dock super tight, for the couple of hours I played zelda docked it already lost adhesive on the bottom left corner so now theres a little bubble.
Ouch, that doesn't sound good. I thought they were supposed to be like 0.3mm thin or something, is the fit that tight in the dock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom