• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seik

Banned
Hmm... yeah, probably you're right. I might have to settle down a bit. It wasn't an issue to me all the weeks prior to the reports and, to be honest, isn't really one after. Still a bit worried if this could lead to any defect or damage like cracks in the case because then I would have to send it in (and if it's out of the guarantee timeframe then I would have to pay for it).

Honestly, even if you end up having problem with it specifically because of that issue later down the line, I'd be surprised if Nintendo obligates you to pay for a repair. They usually are very kind, especially if the fault is on them.

For example, the Wii disc drive that couldn't read dual-layered discs. I sent my launch Wii for repair when Metroid Other M came out and they fixed it for free. That was waaaay past my guarantee.

Jofamo

That's good.

Just have a feeling I have to do this soon and getting a Japanese Switch outside of Japan is nigh-on impossible at this point

Is there any particular reason you're looking to get a Japanese Switch? I know you've done this in the past for Pokemon reasons, but with the Switch being entirely region free, and very easy to set up alternative accounts with... ?

Felensis

Banned
Honestly, even if you end up having problem with it specifically because of that issue later down the line, I'd be surprised if Nintendo obligates you to pay for a repair. They usually are very kind, especially if the fault is on them.

For example, the Wii disc drive that couldn't read dual-layered discs. I sent my launch Wii for repair when Metroid Other M came out and they fixed it for free. That was waaaay past my guarantee.

Thanks, that sounds promising. I once had to send in my launch Wii just a few months after launch because it produced graphical artefacts (most probably b/c of a overheated VRAM). Even though this was during my guarantee they did the repair fast and were very kind in general. Also ppl who received their left Joy-Con back (connection issues) from Nintendo here in EU got a few merch items back with it :)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So, I decided to add some funds to my Nintendo account via their website for my son (This is the Ireland / UK site)

Why does this not seem to be possible, unless I am being stupid? I was going to add funds and then pre order Mario Kart for Switch.

I decided to delve a little deeper, and noticed it does not seem to be possible to order any games digitally. Under 1-2 Switch it says ”Out of Stock" But it's a digital copy!! How can that be out of stock? For Zelda it does not even give you the option to buy a digital copy.

I assume this is all possible directly on the console itself. But I don't have access to it at the moment. Surely the website should have these options. I want to give them money but they will not allow me to.

PS. If its me missing something very obvious I apologise in advance to Nintendo

You can't pre-order digitally, at least not on the UK/Ireland website. Also, don't mistake the Nintendo UK phyical goods store website for the Nintendo UK website (there's a difference).

Nintendo UK Digital games section for Swtich: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch/Games/Games-1178441.html

Nintendo UK Store for Switch games: https://store.nintendo.co.uk/games/nintendo-switch/view-all.list

The latter sells physical boxes with digital download codes (which in the case of 1-2-Switch is indeed out of stock).

This is the link if you want to buy the game digitally with your Nintendo account:
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch/1-2-Switch-1173186.html

Here's MK8: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch/Mario-Kart-8-Deluxe-1173281.html

Is there an articulating Switch mount that you can ttach to a bed post or something like this?

qdxL7yg.jpg

graybot

You can't pre-order digitally, at least not on the UK/Ireland website. Also, don't mistake the Nintendo UK phyical goods store website for the Nintendo UK website (there's a difference).

Nintendo UK Digital games section for Swtich: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch/Games/Games-1178441.html

Nintendo UK Store for Switch games: https://store.nintendo.co.uk/games/nintendo-switch/view-all.list

The latter sells physical boxes with digital download codes (which in the case of 1-2-Switch is indeed out of stock).

This is the link if you want to buy the game digitally with your Nintendo account:
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch/1-2-Switch-1173186.html

Here's MK8: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch/Mario-Kart-8-Deluxe-1173281.html

thank you

JoeM86

Is there any particular reason you're looking to get a Japanese Switch? I know you've done this in the past for Pokemon reasons, but with the Switch being entirely region free, and very easy to set up alternative accounts with... ?

Because of how event distributions may work, I'm not entirely sure if just having it be listed as Japan will be enough for region exclusive download events.

Plus I need two Switches for local multiplayer testing as is, so I may as well go all out for it

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Because of how event distributions may work, I'm not entirely sure if just having it be listed as Japan will be enough for region exclusive download events.

Plus I need two Switches for local multiplayer testing as is, so I may as well go all out for it

We have a few international so-to-speak Switches in the offices and from what I understand, apart from manufacturing location, they're identical in functionality regardless of origins. Active region is decided by the Nintendo account, of which there can be numerous on the same device.

zigg

Unfortunately not. The only other option is to buy a bunch of store funds at one time and then use it over multiple transactions.
I only use store credit. Best Buy has sales on it every so often, usually around 10-15% off.

As far as the preorder question, I recall that the old eShop used to have preloads... I think those were a case-by-case basis though. In the US eShop you can't normally preorder, I don't think.

Has anyone had a right joy con all the sudden become desynced? This has happened twice so far in the past few days where in the morning when I wake my Switch up...all the sudden the right joy con isn't registered as being attached and won't work at all. I have to disconnect the controller and re sync it and then it works fine..battery is charged and everything.

Seems like something is happening overnight...somehow it just disconnects while not in use.

What have been the favorite wall chargers for the switch? I know the Google Pixel wall charger seems to be good, but I was hoping for an Amazon item.

Has anyone had a right joy con all the sudden become desynced? This has happened twice so far in the past few days where in the morning when I wake my Switch up...all the sudden the right joy con isn't registered as being attached and won't work at all. I have to disconnect the controller and re sync it and then it works fine..battery is charged and everything.

Seems like something is happening overnight...somehow it just disconnects while not in use.

This happened to me the other day.

Came back to play Zelda. Switch was in Sleep Mode and when coming back, in handheld mode, right JoyCon wouldn't respond. I thought it had ran out of battery. I detached both and nothing. I did a hard shutdown and still dead. I left it there turned on for about 30 seconds while thinking what to do and it just came back to life.

Has just happened once last week but still not sure what the problem was.

GokouD

Hmm... yeah, probably you're right. I might have to settle down a bit. It wasn't an issue to me all the weeks prior to the reports and, to be honest, isn't really one after. Still a bit worried if this could lead to any defect or damage like cracks in the case because then I would have to send it in (and if it's out of the guarantee timeframe then I would have to pay for it).

I wouldn't worry about it, by the time it's out of the guarantee you'll probably be looking for a good excuse to buy the Switch Lite or Pro or whatever ;)

This happened to me the other day.

Came back to play Zelda. Switch was in Sleep Mode and when coming back, in handheld mode, right JoyCon wouldn't respond. I thought it had ran out of battery. I detached both and nothing. I did a hard shutdown and still dead. I left it there turned on for about 30 seconds while thinking what to do and it just came back to life.

Has just happened once last week but still not sure what the problem was.

Yeah sounds somewhat similar to what happened with me. I don't want to send the whole console for a repair or anything but if I had to send the joy con itself in, then so be it. But i'll wait to see if it starts to become a consistent issue.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
So I bought Metal Slug, and for the first time, I can see the limitations of the directional buttons on the Joycons. Aiming diagonal is a total bitch. I ended up using the analog stick for controls and it works a lot better. I may end up buying the Pro Controller after all.

JoeM86

We have a few international so-to-speak Switches in the offices and from what I understand, apart from manufacturing location, they're identical in functionality regardless of origins. Active region is decided by the Nintendo account, of which there can be numerous on the same device.

Potentially, but it's a lot of money until we know how Game Freak will go about it, and so it's better to err on the side of caution. if there's no difference then it's fine, just maybe a little more expensive. If there is and I go the other route, then I'm screwed.

Wait so the cart version of Puyo Puyo is really $10 more than the digital version? That's super annoying.

That's super good imo. Too often is the digital version hamstrung by physical price. I'll take this over that any day.

So I bought Metal Slug, and for the first time, I can see the limitations of the directional buttons on the Joycons. Aiming diagonal is a total bitch. I ended up using the analog stick for controls and it works a lot better. I may end up buying the Pro Controller after all.

I really, really want a d-pad joycon.

I've been experiencing a creaking noise when I apply any amount of pressure to the bottom of the tablet. Its a small area in between the kickstand and the charging port, almost as if the plastic isn't tight enough. I'm wondering if tightening the bottom screws will help. Has anyone else experienced this issue? It isn't a major inconvenience but now that I've noticed it my OCD is bothering me. I've heard of people having the same issue but near the serial # on the bottom. anyone have similar issues? or a possible fix?

Iced

I've been experiencing a creaking noise when I apply any amount of pressure to the bottom of the tablet. Its a small area in between the kickstand and the charging port, almost as if the plastic isn't tight enough. I'm wondering if tightening the bottom screws will help. Has anyone else experienced this issue? It isn't a major inconvenience but now that I've noticed it my OCD is bothering me. I've heard of people having the same issue but near the serial # on the bottom. anyone have similar issues? or a possible fix?

Are you sure it's the tablet itself? Mine creaks with my neon joycons but not my grey ones.

Are you sure it's the tablet itself? Mine creaks with my neon joycons but not my grey ones.

Even when I take out the joycons themselves the tablet stillcreaks. If you apply enough pressure it seems to stop for a second but it's only momentarily. It doesn't interfere with gameplay at all and it only creaks if you apply pressure to the specific spot so it's probably just cosmetic damage, but still, its one of those things that is a tad annoying after you realize it.

GDGF

Soothsayer

Happened to me two days ago. I freaked out for a sec because my console had no issues up to that point, but then I just pressed the little sync button on the inside edge of the joycon and all was well.

It's been a week since the Best Seller section was added to the Switch eShop and since it frequently updates, it would be nice if members post the current best-sellers list in their country's eShop in the dedicated thread.

I already collected this week's lists from the US, Japan and the Netherlands, but those don't nearly cover the whole eShop. So if you want to help, please do! :)

Futureman

are there any demos on the US shop? besides Snipper I guess. Don't really want to mess around with creating a fake account for other regions.

are there any demos on the US shop? besides Snipper I guess. Don't really want to mess around with creating a fake account for other regions.

Oh nice, didn't realize Snipperclips had a demo. Will def. test it out with the lady to see if she likes enough to buy. Doesn't seem like a game I can play myself.

deeganay

Neo Member
Has anyone had issues with dodgy battery percentage readings? Mine goes all of the place. Sometimes it will charge very quick, like in 30mins go from 15% to 80%. Then I turned it off, unplugged everything then turned it on and 74%.

I have been incurring similar issues as well and it would be nice to get some further feedback. Additionally even when I power down the Switch and turn it off and turn it on some hours later, the battery level drops to around 80%.
Any one else experiencing any similar issues to ours?

Waji

I had joycons and wifi issues and I had heard about how reconnecting the joycons after the update or something worked for people.
A while back I thought I did but now I know I didn't.
Because I just disconnected them completely in the options, removed them, turned off the system, then on, and reconnect...
And I'm now so happy to see that not only internet but the joycons work flawlessly.
I can go in another room, close doors, put the joycons behind my back... whatever, it works perfectly.
So the Switch became absolutely perfect for me thanks to that.

Now Nintendo bring on the Direct !

I'm just a bit sad there won't be any way to play Splatoon matches without internet or 7 switch users around and obviously no spli screen. Hope I'm wrong.

Wait you can aim diagonal in metal slug? I bought metal slug 3 and could not aim diagonal at all.

newsguy

I have been incurring similar issues as well and it would be nice to get some further feedback. Additionally even when I power down the Switch and turn it off and turn it on some hours later, the battery level drops to around 80%.
Any one else experiencing any similar issues to ours?

I have the same exact issues. Sometimes I will charge it fully for over a day and it will only reach 85% Other days it will show 100%, and after I play for about 5 minutes it instantly shows 70%. Other times it will show 100%, I will unplug it and turn it off completely, and when I turn it back on it's at 80%.

The first time it did that, it basically showed 1% battery for like an hour which meant just the battery meter was wrong. The second time it did that to me the Switch went into sleep mode and made me charge it, which means the battery was actually at 80% I'm not exactly sure what's going on but I know it's fucked.

MattVT

I've been playing my Switch undocked about 70% of the time. Starting this weekend, the battery life seems to have dropped of a cliff. After charging 24 hours, it wouldn't go higher than 91%. I was then only able to play Zelda for an hour before I got the low battery notification.

Do I likely have a faulty battery?

Edit: I see a similar post immediately above mine. Maybe it's an issue with the sensor detecting the actual level of charge?

febLey

I need some new games to play on the Switch, which 2 of those 3 should I get: Mr. Shifty, Snake Pass, Shovel Knight Treasure Trove.

Already played the original Shovel Knight campaign, but not Plague of Shadows.

LordKano

I had joycons and wifi issues and I had heard about how reconnecting the joycons after the update or something worked for people.
A while back I thought I did but now I know I didn't.
Because I just disconnected them completely in the options, removed them, turned off the system, then on, and reconnect...
And I'm now so happy to see that not only internet but the joycons work flawlessly.
I can go in another room, close doors, put the joycons behind my back... whatever, it works perfectly.
So the Switch became absolutely perfect for me thanks to that.

Now Nintendo bring on the Direct !

I'm just a bit sad there won't be any way to play Splatoon matches without internet or 7 switch users around and obviously no spli screen. Hope I'm wrong.

Mmmh I'll try that, internet sucks a lot on my Switch and I have small joy-cons issues too.

What's the consensus on amfilm screen protectors now that people have had the chance to use them for a while? Any thermal issues, or the protectors loosening over time? I still haven't tried the dock but I'm definitely going to want to for Mario Kart at the end of the month.

I love it. Zero issues, zero marks, zero headaches. Like someone else mentioned, got one to spare too. I like it more than the premieum Hori I put on my daughters Switch.

I've been playing my Switch undocked about 70% of the time. Starting this weekend, the battery life seems to have dropped of a cliff. After charging 24 hours, it wouldn't go higher than 91%. I was then only able to play Zelda for an hour before I got the low battery notification.

Do I likely have a faulty battery?

Edit: I see a similar post immediately above mine. Maybe it's an issue with the sensor detecting the actual level of charge?
I made a thread about it.
The battery indicator is inaccurate and all over the place for many users.
More likely than not, the battery length is fine but the indicator is fucked.
Hopefully this can be fixed in an update but I know shit about issues like this.

MattVT

I made a thread about it.
The battery indicator is inaccurate and all over the place for many users.
More likely than not, the battery length is fine but the indicator is fucked.
Hopefully this can be fixed in an update but I know shit about issues like this.

Thanks for this reply. I will check out your thread.

It's a bummer that the indicator isn't working properly, but I'll take that over a battery that's not holding a charge.

Great username, by the way.

Waji

Mmmh I'll try that, internet sucks a lot on my Switch and I have small joy-cons issues too.
I did some more test and it seems to be always perfect except for when it's docked.
Tabletop works in any position.
But now wifi works in any configuration which is already a major improvement.

I'll still try to add the foam in the next weeks to see if it gets even better in docked mode.

I have the standard joycon creak that it appears most people have, but I've taken the joycons out and the tablet itself still creaks if i apply any amount of pressure. I would try to tighten bottom screws, but I've heard that people have been getting cracks from screws that are too tight already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom