• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something's wrong with my switch. It won't charge more than 87%. :(

Anyone had that problem?
You have to determine whether it only holds that amount hence a faulty battery or if the battery indicator is screwed up.
Not sure in your case as I haven't experienced that but many peoples' battery indicators on the Switch are all over the place inaccurate.

RootCause

You have to determine whether it only holds that amount hence a faulty battery or if the battery indicator is screwed up.
Not sure in your case as I haven't experienced that but many peoples' battery indicators on the Switch are all over the place inaccurate.
Well this sucks. Luckily I clocked some of my game sessions on a single charge. It should come in handy for comparisons. I hope this can be fixed via patch or something.

Regiruler

How do you check battery level in the joycons?

Also, is it normal for there to be a little bit of wiggle towards the bottom when attached to the wrist strap or unit itself?

Moreche

I decided to go for a pair of the coloured Neon Joy-Con but it seems that they're an early batch affected by the left Joy-Con signal issue.

Fairly heartbroken, especially because trying to replicate the issue at the store in bought them in doesn't show the problem, meanwhile I'm trying to play Breath of the Wild right now from ~2 meters away and Link is out of control.

Next step is to try contacting Nintendo tomorrow to see if I can arrange a repair. At least this way I'll know for sure that the issue will be solved.

Has anyone here had any experience with Nintendo's repair process? Was it fairly painless?

Edit: I'm in the UK, for the record.
It's really easy to fix yourself. A small tr-wing and Philips screw driver and a sheet of conductive foam.

Jelle

Anyone else slightly worried about the Switch's battery deteriorating if being docked all the time and the battery being at 100%?

Li-ion batteries are happiest between 40% and 80% so I tend to undock my Switch every now and then and play it handheld until ~40%.

jts

...hate me...
Anyone else slightly worried about the Switch's battery deteriorating if being docked all the time and the battery being at 100%?

Li-ion batteries are happiest between 40% and 80% so I tend to undock my Switch every now and then and play it handheld until ~40%.
That kind of micromanagement would seriously undermine my enjoyment. The Switch battery is extremely replaceable and I'm more than happy to shell out less than what a game costs to replace it 2-3 years down the line if I gave the console enough use to justify that kind of wear out, which would be a good sign.

Moreche

I play mine docked all the time, I haven't played handheld once. But I don't worry because the Switch is really easy to open and I'm sure battery's will be easy to buy soon enough.

zarnold56

Picked up a switch today, the Walmart I went to had 11 of them. What is the carrying case people are using for theirs? Looked at a few on amazon and not really feeling any of them.

Vexii

It's really easy to fix yourself. A small tr-wing and Philips screw driver and a sheet of conductive foam.
Unfortunately I don't have any tools available at all, and wouldn't know the correct foam if it slapped me in the face.

Always wanted to get one of those fancy iFixit kits, but I've never had much need for one 😂

Fucking hell. I think my Switch is broken. It's been in sleep mode overnight. This morning I take it out of it's case, turn it on and notice that the screen is flickering wildly, specifically the left side. I've done nothing but take the utmost care of it. I wouldn't mind having to send it off for repairs or a replacement from Amazon but I'm going away tomorrow and I'm also worried I'll end up losing my Zelda data.

Mine has done this as well, when left in sleep mode for too long. Charging the battery tends to "fix" the issue, but I'm calling Nintendo support after work today.

Something's wrong with my switch. It won't charge more than 87%. :(

Anyone had that problem?

Unplug your joy cons, turn system off, plug into dock or wall socket direct to USB c and let it charge to 100% then reconnect your joy cons. Mine gets into a weird charge loop sometimes with this too.

Korezo

Nintendo NYC got all the switches, controllers, and joy con colors. Finally went because no other store ever has any colored joy cons for sale.

Poppyseed

Anyone else feel like the screen is not bright enough? It's just way too reflective when you're outside. Can't even play Zelda in shade

Agreed. Screen is hopeless in terms of contrast inside, and hopeless in terms of brightness/reflections outside. Wish it had been an OLED screen with an anti-reflective coating.

Playing some of the dark levels in Binding of Isaac is near impossible outside, and indoors you have to crank the brightness up to see anything.

RootCause

Unplug your joy cons, turn system off, plug into dock or wall socket direct to USB c and let it charge to 100% then reconnect your joy cons. Mine gets into a weird charge loop sometimes with this too.
Turned off the system by holding the power button for 10 seconds, and left it off for a while. Tried charging again, and it seems to have done the trick.

I'll try your method if it happens again. :)

NimbusD

ordered a cheap wii u lan adapter for the switch. doesn't matter that its not like one of the new usb 3.0 ethernet 1000 ones right? from what I've seen, the switch doesnt even reach those speeds on lan anyway. right?

Picked up a switch today, the Walmart I went to had 11 of them. What is the carrying case people are using for theirs? Looked at a few on amazon and not really feeling any of them.
I've been using the official Nintendo pouch (the one that comes with the screen protector). Like it a lot.

Oreoleo

ordered a cheap wii u lan adapter for the switch. doesn't matter that its not like one of the new usb 3.0 ethernet 1000 ones right? from what I've seen, the switch doesnt even reach those speeds on lan anyway. right?

You might see slightly faster speeds with a 3.0 adapter, but it won't make any real practical difference in daily use. As long as you're wired you should be good, I wouldn't sweat it.

Mob

I decided to go for a pair of the coloured Neon Joy-Con but it seems that they're an early batch affected by the left Joy-Con signal issue.

Fairly heartbroken, especially because trying to replicate the issue at the store in bought them in doesn't show the problem, meanwhile I'm trying to play Breath of the Wild right now from ~2 meters away and Link is out of control.

Next step is to try contacting Nintendo tomorrow to see if I can arrange a repair. At least this way I'll know for sure that the issue will be solved.

Has anyone here had any experience with Nintendo's repair process? Was it fairly painless?

Edit: I'm in the UK, for the record.

I sent one of mine in the other week, it took 9 calendar days in all and it works perfectly now.
I arranged it over the phone and was given a choice of printing a postage paid label myself or having one sent to me (Parcelforce express 48). I was also given a choice of email or text message updates. Once repair was complete the Joycon was returned by DPD next day delivery.

You can track the progress of the repair here https://nintendoservicecentre.co.uk
You can book the repair on that site as well but I phoned them on 03456050247

NimbusD

You might see slightly faster speeds with a 3.0 adapter, but it won't make any real practical difference in daily use. As long as you're wired you should be good, I wouldn't sweat it.
Good to know thanks. Tbh I'm mostly interested in being able to get some 12 player lan party so going with mk8d. Setting up a tournament for launch weekend w friends, so I guess either way as long as it works for that I'll be satisfied, just wanted to know if I'll be annoyed and wind up upgrading it in the future at the cost of saving a few bucks now

Iced

Anyone else feel like the screen is not bright enough? It's just way too reflective when you're outside. Can't even play Zelda in shade

I've played around with 3 Switches. One was pretty dim, and the other two (including the one I own) feel like they could burn my eyeballs out at max brightness. You might have lost the screen lottery.

Plum

So I'm wondering whether I should send in my Joy-Cons in for repair/replacement.

Basically, the left Joy-Con's trigger button has a distinct metallic "spring" sound when pressing it, high-pitched enough to be noticeable if I don't have headphones on. The right Joy-Con's trigger is fine, but the d-pad face buttons are all much more clicky than the ones on the left, again enough to be noticeable.

Is this something Nintendo would care about repairing/replacing or should I not bother? It's not a massive deal but I can see it becoming annoying.

NimbusD

I've played around with 3 Switches. One was pretty dim, and the other two (including the one I own) feel like they could burn my eyeballs out at max brightness. You might have lost the screen lottery.

yeah, mine gets pretty bright past 50-60 percent. as in, too bright.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I sent one of mine in the other week, it took 9 calendar days in all and it works perfectly now.
I arranged it over the phone and was given a choice of printing a postage paid label myself or having one sent to me (Parcelforce express 48). I was also given a choice of email or text message updates. Once repair was complete the Joycon was returned by DPD next day delivery.

You can track the progress of the repair here https://nintendoservicecentre.co.uk
You can book the repair on that site as well but I phoned them on 03456050247

Waiting until after the Easter school holidays and will then send mine in. Have a pro controller to tide me over

Pasedo

So I'm a little OCD but has anyone else noticed very slight imperfections on the grey plastic surface of the tablet part? Mine has a couple of very minor blemishes next to the screen. Only noticeable when I angle it a certain way against light. Would feel better if I knew others also had this outside of the box as its probably from crappy quality control from the factory.

mingo

Love my switch and Zelda, been playing it exclusively since launch and not touched my PS4. Yesterday i completed Zelda so now I can go back to my PS4 and Start Persona 5. Holy shit I can't get used to the PS4 controller again, it feels so clunky and the analog sticks feel so tall and feels like there is so much travel. I never had this problem before with the controller and thought it was one of the best controllers ever. I now realise the joy con with the grip is such a comfortable controller. Only thing it lacks is analog triggers.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How does the switch parental control app work? Does it only show play time after several days of being linked to a switch? And if I don't have any play time restrictions, then it's transparent to me and my kids (just want to use it for tracking usage really)

I almost bought a pro controller today because I needed a charger since I left mine at work. The drive was too far to bother and I was off for two days.

Seems Best Buy restocked most of the accessories. I prefer split mode right now so a pro isn't justified atm.

watershed

Banned
I got a pro controller today and wow, folks weren't lying it is a very comfortable controller. I do wish the triggers were analog and I'm not sure if its as comfortable as the xbox one controller, but it feels great and has a very nice weight to it. I'm impressed. I think its better than the WiiU pro controller for sure.

How does the switch parental control app work? Does it only show play time after several days of being linked to a switch? And if I don't have any play time restrictions, then it's transparent to me and my kids (just want to use it for tracking usage really)
Nope, it shows gameplay time immediately. Pretty cool IMO. The only annoying thing is that after you sync it, the Switch prompts you for a code in the app if you want to do things like connect to a new wifi spot. Can't figure how to turn this off yet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nope, it shows gameplay time immediately. Pretty cool IMO. The only annoying thing is that after you sync it, the Switch prompts you for a code in the app if you want to do things like connect to a new wifi spot. Can't figure how to turn this off yet.

Thanks. I've synced but not showing up. Do I have to launch each game once to update the time? And will it show time across all accounts? My Nintendo account is the 'parent' but I also have my kids accounts on there (but they are only local profiles)

Rubixcuba

Banned
Warning: Stupid Question

Im flying overseas next week, will I be able to charge my Switch with any old USB A to USB C cord with the sockets on available on the plane? Does quality and brand make a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom