• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any reason to own a Charging Grip AND a Pro controller? I originally didn't think I'd need a Pro controller, but after one day, I can already tell that sliding the joycons on and off the system and into a charging grip is going to get old real fast. It's just much more convenient/frictionless to leave the joycons on the tablet and pick up a home controller that's idling by.

Long story short, I just ordered a Pro controller, and feel I wasted money on the charging grip. Blah. I guess it could serve as a second controller?

Poppyseed

Very happy. UI is snappy, Nintendo Store on the Switch is fantastic, Zelda looks unbelievable when playing in Handheld mode.

I small feature I do like is you need to press a button 3 times to wake up the system.

I think that feature sucks. Thank goodness you can turn it off. I mean, you're so unlikely to hit the power button by mistake anyway!

dvolovets

Reposting from the Zelda thread: in portable mode, is anyone else's Switch fan kicking into overdrive when playing Zelda? I guess it's not terrible but I can definitely feel a little gust of air being blown out. The system also gets warmer to the touch than I was expecting, nothing major but definitely noticeable. Normal?

Ok here we go. I know non-direct feed images are a dumb way to illustrate this, but I think these shots actually describe my issue.

News screen - looks pretty great. Nice, bright, even.

PEzFVCP.jpg

Zelda - no brightness settings adjusted. Same lighting conditions in the room. Just popped into the game. Look how faded it is. The contrast is crap. The blacks are basically greys.

pv6YhxA.jpg

I just think it's Zelda honestly. I have an OLED, and I still think Zelda looks washed out at times when my black levels are set properly. Crushing the blacks (setting my TV to full and the system to limited) actually makes the game look pretty vibrant to my eyes so that's why I feel like it's just the game. I did notice the blacks aren't great on the Switch screen, but I don't think the contrast is why it looks washed out at times unfortunately. I think it's just the weather effect or something.

jph139

So I've spent the last like ten minutes trying to figure this out via Google and searching this thread, but I'm obviously using the wrong keywords or something.

Is there any way to manually rearrange the tiles on the home screen? Or does it automatically do it based on last game played or downloaded or whatever?

Magnus

I just think it's Zelda honestly. I have an OLED, and I still think Zelda looks washed out at times. Yeah I did notice the blacks aren't great on the Switch screen, but I don't think the contrast is why it looks washed out at times unfortunately. I think it's just the weather effect or something.

Ok. So my Switch isn't broken in Zelda mode? Haha

You know, I think you might be right about it being weather related in game. The issue's bothered me much more over the last hour or so as I've gotten into this eastern area which is more foggy. It's this like haze I guess. See, I'm just being whiny.

I definitely think it looks way better on my TV though. =

lingpanda

A few initial impressions. Screen looks amazing. Blown away when playing Zelda docked and undocked. I don't care for the feel of the screen though. It's like my fingers stick when sliding across. 1-2 Switch is surprisingly fun. This should've been packed in. Missed opportunity IMO. I recommend everyone pick this up if playing locally with friends or family. Didn't think I would ever play undocked, but it's too much fun not to. Region free and the simplicity of the eShop makes this great to get those eastern titles. The wrist straps on the joycons are a bit difficult to remove. Maybe over time it becomes easier to slide off. The Pro Controller is a must buy if playing docked. Such a great feeling controller.

Ok. So my Switch isn't broken in Zelda mode? Haha

You know, I think you might be right about it being weather related in game. The issue's bothered me much more over the last hour or so as I've gotten into this eastern area which is more foggy. It's this like haze I guess. See, I'm just being whiny.

I definitely think it looks way better on my TV though. =

Yeah I edited my post further for some detail, but your Switch doesn't look off to me (even though it is two screen shots :p ). Do you not think Zelda looks washed out on your TV at times also? (Now I'm wondering for my sake..because I hate that it looks washed out on my OLED).

Wow there was a lot less manuals in the box compared to the Wii U.

Just a dumb question: how long does it take for the switch to charge? Just set mine up and right now the light is green. Does that mean it's done?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Just got a screen protector and applied it perfectly first time which has to be a first.

dcx4610

I'm pretty much never going to use the Switch in docked mode on my TV so I'm trying to come up with a charging solution for using it portable. I could simply just buy a 2nd AC adapter but I would prefer a nicer looking solution.

I really don't like the dock at all. Placing and lifting the system into the dock does not feel good and feels like you are going to scratch the screen everywhere. There are already reports where the bezel is getting scratched even though people are being careful.

Has anyone seen any charging cradle type solutions for sale like the Vita hand? Something similar to this:

psvita_cradle2-large.png

pswii60

I got my Switch today with Zelda. Mixed feelings so far.

It's smaller than I expected, which is fine on one level, but the Joycons are painfully small and fiddly for my large hands, whether clipped to the side of the tablet or on the plastic joycon holder thingy in docked mode. They don't feel comfortable at all, the analogue sticks feel misplaced as do the triggers. The buttons are cheap and nasty, the fake D-Pad on the left is really 'clicky'. A Pro controller is an absolutely must if you have anything other than child-like hands and I hope I can find one in stock somewhere tomorrow.

The screen is great at first glance, and leagues ahead of the Wii U screen. But there is a vertical band on mine, reminiscent of shitty Samsung TVs. You can't see it when looking at a still picture, but it becomes obvious on lighter parts of the image in anything that scrolls or pans horizontally. It's annoying but a side effect of LCD tech I suppose.

The dock feels so cheap. There's no soft material in it whatsoever, it's all hard plastic, so it's no surprise that there have been reports of scratching. They really should have put something soft in there (felt, plastic coated foam, whatever) to stop that.

The screen feels too small (to me) for a game like Zelda, but it looks shockingly poor docked on my 55" OLED going straight from a PS4 Pro. It's the aliasing in particular that really gets me. This is a handheld you hook up to your TV, not a console.

All that aside, I've only played an hour of Zelda and I absolutely can't wait to get back in to it this evening, I'm excited just thinking about it. Yet again, I find myself loving Nintendo's games and hating their hardware. But, when I'm sucked back in to Zelda again later I know I won't care. I just wish I'd got a Pro controller damnit!

dcx4610

Just a dumb question: how long does it take for the switch to charge? Just set mine up and right now the light is green. Does that mean it's done?

Green means it should be broadcasting to your TV. There is no charging light. I believe the charge time is estimated to be 3 hours though which is pretty decent.

No, I think the light is there to acknowledge that it's connected to the dock/showing through the TV. It's glowed green even when I've had less than full battery.

I just think it's Zelda honestly. I have an OLED, and I still think Zelda looks washed out at times when my black levels are set properly. Crushing the blacks (setting my TV to full and the system to limited) actually makes the game look pretty vibrant to my eyes so that's why I feel like it's just the game. I did notice the blacks aren't great on the Switch screen, but I don't think the contrast is why it looks washed out at times unfortunately. I think it's just the weather effect or something.

Yep, this is the first ever game i've done this on.
Always kept correct black levels for other consoles and games but for some reason crushing the blacks in breath of the wild actually improves the washed out visuals.
I would have laughed at anyone saying this normally but it does solve some of the visual issues in this title.

Magnus

Yeah I edited my post further for some detail, but your Switch doesn't look off to me (even though it is two screen shots :p ). Do you not think Zelda looks washed out on your TV at times also? (Now I'm wondering for my sake..because I hate that it looks washed out on my OLED).

It does at times. For sure. It's just much more pronounced on the handheld screen imo.

I don't have an OLED TV (you lucky bastard) but a Samsung 65" 4K, and Zelda generally looks great on it. So far, lower-res and older content actually manages to look great on it - must have a good scaler or something. I might be super spoiled with this TV and numerous retina-quality displays in our household (our phones and tablets), so the Switch screen just isn't blowing me away to the same degree as others. It's serviceable and fine, the bare minimum I'd expect for this device which really is shaking out to primarily be a handheld you dock to your TV, and not a console you take with you on the road.

Sh0k

The dock feels so cheap. There's no soft material in it whatsoever, it's all hard plastic, so it's no surprise that there have been reports of scratching. They really should have put something soft in there (felt, plastic coated foam, whatever) to stop that.

I believe there is some foam inside the dock to protect the screen, I'm surprised that there are many reports of the dock scratching the screen.

People like this piss me off.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/robertj56/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I wish i could ruin his day somehow. Tons of people looking for these for themselves and he goes out all buys all these to resell

They arent making much money on ebay, they sell for $370-400 which given that the fee calculator shows me a fee price of $41 (that seems crazy high to me) its really not that profitable at $30 end profit, especially given potential buyer scams meaning just 1 in 10 bad buyer removes all the profit

I was really bummed about my Pro controller not being delivered until the 13th, but then after playing Zelda with the included joycon controller for several hours I found it so comfortable that I decided to go ahead and cancel the Pro.

But THEN turns out Amazon decided to ship the Pro early, as in, shipped yesterday and arriving today. So I guess I'll give it a try at least and see how comfortable it is.

I was really bummed about my Pro controller not being delivered until the 13th, but then after playing Zelda with the included joycon controller for several hours I found it so comfortable that I decided to go ahead and cancel the Pro.

But THEN turns out Amazon decided to ship the Pro early, as in, shipped yesterday and arriving today. So I guess I'll give it a try at least and see how comfortable it is.

I think once you get the pro controller in your hands, you will find it hard to go back.

I was initially a bit hesitant to buy the Pro controller at $70 bucks, but I am SO glad I did.

The JoyCon grip is fine, but it is definitely on the small side and doesn't pack enough substance to hold for long gaming sessions. The Pro controller just feels dense and meaty and comfortable. I love it.

Leaving my Joy Cons permanently attached to the side of the Switch. Can't seem myself ever removing them except in rare cases.

linkboy

I think once you get the pro controller in your hands, you will find it hard to go back.

Yep.

I'm really looking forward to this thing fully working on computers (as an emulated 360 controller, like the DS4 does).

One of the best controllers I've ever used.

Always kept correct black levels for other consoles and games but for some reason crushing the blacks in breath of the wild actually improves the washed out visuals.
I would have laughed at anyone saying this normally but it does solve some of the visual issues in this title.

Me too man. Me too, haha.

I felt like I was taking crazy pills when I crushed the blacks on the TV and actually LIKED it..

The quality and design of the dock is really perplexing. I just can't believe so little thought and/or care went into making it not a fucking hazard to dock/undock the machine. Why is there even a cover on the screen side to begin with? It's incredibly poorly designed. Any chance third-parties can make a better dock?

Sh0k

You will love the Pro controller, just the fact that I don't have to detach the JoyCons everytime I want to play on the TV is a big plus and the controller and big buttons feels great.

The pro controller feels so damn good. If anyone doesn't have it, just get it. Battery life is amazing too.

I initially got it just because I wanted to leave the joycons on the tablet at all times for convenience but man it really is perfect for tv play. So comfortable.

Magnus

Huh. Maybe I should do the same here. It's on a unique input so I don't mind messing around with settings to optimize Zelda.

sleepnaught

So, I've tried two 64 GB SDXC cards in my Switch, neither is being read by my Switch, but a phone I have reads them fine. What's going on? Is the SD reader in my Switch faulty?

Has anyone tried skylanders on switch? I'm particularly interested if the graphics match PS4 in quality (except for resolution of course, expecting optimized for 720p)

Me too man. Me too, haha.

I felt like I was taking crazy pills when I crushed the blacks on the TV and actually LIKED it..

No crazy pills, there is nothing worse than crushing blacks on a tv when playing games.

Doing it with breath of the wild doesn't crush anything, it actually improves the washed out visuals.Tried it out very early on and realised it looks much better, first time in about 8 years i've done this with a game.

I can see 1-2 Switch being a pack in game with future SKU's for sure.

So far I'm really liking the experience! I'm surprised with how much I'm playing it undocked, as I don't typically go for handhelds, but it's so much fun to use.

I would like to see more talk about mobile charging. I've ordered a USB A to USB C cable from Amazon. This one in fact:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S8GU2OC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This ought to be good for the occasional charge when I'm on the go, right? I don't plan on charging it while I'm playing as I don't think it'll be able to charge as quick as it's draining. However, I'd like to see more discussion on mobile charging. I read there's an official car charger coming in June. Might pick that up.

But yeah, so far I'm enjoying it. Picked up Zelda, Bomberman, and as I've never played through them yet - Shovel Knight Treasure Trove pack.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, a question:

My power cable is way too short for my setup, can I just buy any USB-C to USB cable and put it into a regular USB phone power brick to power the thing? Do I need anything very specific?

"Could not establish connection to the TV, please make sure you're using the power pack that came with the console".

Well fuck this.

Cepheus

Reposting from the Zelda thread: in portable mode, is anyone else's Switch fan kicking into overdrive when playing Zelda? I guess it's not terrible but I can definitely feel a little gust of air being blown out. The system also gets warmer to the touch than I was expecting, nothing major but definitely noticeable. Normal?

It gets really hot when I play Bomberman for a while, so yeah, I think it's normal. It gets hotter faster when I play it in docked than in portable though.

Really glad that Amazon put up more Pro controllers this morning; it was the only thing I couldn't find yesterday. I'm having a lot of trouble using the grip comfortably, so I'll most likely be sticking with the Pro controller for any game that supports it.

Instro

Yeah not gonna lie, I spent hours dicking around with TV settings to see what was making Zelda look washed out, and although what you mentioned works in a way, there's definitely detail loss. It's a combo of certain daytime lighting and environment conditions, the lighting engine is rather strange in this game. I think it looks great at night or when there is cloud cover, or just when you are outside of certain areas.

The console takes 3 hours and the joycons take around 3.15 hours.

Magnus

Oh wow, my Switch turns my TV on when I dock it. None of my other consoles do that when I turn them on. Cool.

It's not turning my receiver on though so it's not making the experience TOTALLY seamless. :p

So, I've tried two 64 GB SDXC cards in my Switch, neither is being read by my Switch, but a phone I have reads them fine. What's going on? Is the SD reader in my Switch faulty?

Didn't read it at first either, but removed it and plugged it in back did the trick. Make sure you have the latest update.

Oh wow, my Switch turns my TV on when I dock it. None of my other consoles do that when I turn them on. Cool.

It's not turning my receiver on though so it's not making the experience TOTALLY seamless. :p

Yeah this is a big feature for me. So much quicker than my PS4 Pro too, which makes it even more amazing.

pswii60

Your PS4 will do it too, just enable HDMI control / CEC.

But yes even Nintendo now has HDMI control (come on Microsoft!)

linkboy

The cards might need to be formatted. I opted for the 200GB card and my Switch wasn't able to read it until I formatted it in the console.

Upgrade to 2.0 (if you haven't), then go to settings, system and then initialize (it's all the way at the bottom). That will give you the option to format your memory card.

NeoRausch

I'm pretty much never going to use the Switch in docked mode on my TV so I'm trying to come up with a charging solution for using it portable. I could simply just buy a 2nd AC adapter but I would prefer a nicer looking solution.

I really don't like the dock at all. Placing and lifting the system into the dock does not feel good and feels like you are going to scratch the screen everywhere. There are already reports where the bezel is getting scratched even though people are being careful.

Has anyone seen any charging cradle type solutions for sale like the Vita hand? Something similar to this:

psvita_cradle2-large.png

HORI NSW-029U Switch Compact PlayStand "Nintendo Switch"

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01N9RTMWS/

Charges the switch and let's you play in the meantime.

Instro

Dumb question but does the Switch come with any sort of plastic film over the screen out of the box? I didn't play around with it too much last night before docking it, but it felt like there might be something in there. Perhaps I'm just not used to having a plastic screen device though.

Eggiem

Dumb question but does the Switch come with any sort of plastic film over the screen out of the box? I didn't play around with it too much last night before docking it, but it felt like there might be something in there. Perhaps I'm just not used to having a plastic screen device though.

No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom