• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumb question but does the Switch come with any sort of plastic film over the screen out of the box? I didn't play around with it too much last night before docking it, but it felt like there might be something in there. Perhaps I'm just not used to having a plastic screen device though.

It should, but Unfortunately that's not the case.

For some reason my Switch won't charge. I was playing it last night with the AC adapter plugged in while playing Zelda in handheld mode and it wasn't charging. So I left it last night to charge and it didn't. I hope I didn't mess anything up.

For some reason my Switch won't charge. I was playing it last night with the AC adapter plugged in while playing Zelda in handheld mode and it wasn't charging. So I left it last night to charge and it didn't. I hope I didn't mess anything up.

Have you checked if your AC adapter is connected properly or if the turned off?

Does docking the joy-cons while the console is in sleep mode charge them?

Yep

Kjell

I just think it's Zelda honestly.

Correct, it's a stylistic choice ... here's a color & luminosity "corrected" version of a screenshot.
M7NEFjD.png

MikeBison

hey all, sorry if it's been answered, but this thread moves quickly.

I have an LG OLED and when I'm using another HDMI device, say my PS4, I get a 'ping' to the HDMI from the Switch. This prompts my tv to suggest switching over to that HDMI selection because it's active.

Normally it's used for me using my PS4 but then I switch on my Sky box and then all I have to do to watch Sky is point the remote at that prompt and click it, then it swaps over to Sky, rather than going through my HDMI input list.

It seems super intermittent, was playing some Overwatch last night and at first it was every 30 mins or so, then it was flashing up one every few mins.

Any help would be appreciated. Even if it's to turn off that 'auto suggestion' feature on my TV because I've looked and can't find anything.

Felensis

Banned
Zelda is a good game, but man it is running horrible for me. I just can't see the 'crispness' at all. It is blurry as all hell compared to the other systems hooked up... blurry to the point of wondering if I have a setting wrong or something.

This really baffles me! I've set the console manually to 1080p, Full RGB and I've hooked the Switch to a 4K TV. There really is no blurriness at all (i.e. compared to FF XV on my XB1S which is blurry as fuck). It is crisp and clear. Only downside are the occasional frame drops, but other than that the game looks gorgeous especially if you're considering what HW it is running on.

Have you checked if your AC adapter is connected properly or if the turned off?

Yep
Yeah. I double checked to make sure the adapter is connected. I tried with both the system itself and on the dock. And several outlets. I've tried again and it doesn't seem to be holding a charge at all. Like, putting it in the dock doesn't charge it. I wonder if I got a faulty adapter.

Felensis

Banned
Correct, it's a stylistic choice ... here's a color & luminosity "corrected" version of a screenshot.
M7NEFjD.png

Do you guys have set up your RGB color space correctly? You can do this in the Switch's system settings and in your TV settings. On my TV with both Switch and TV set to "HDMI full" it looks definitely very close to the second corrected screenshot.

Future

Feeling the limits of this battery life but playing Zelda last night in bed was great. Love portables. I'd play everything on this thing if it was strong enough

My switch came with a red leaflet where you scratched off a code.

I signed into My Nintendo and went to 'redeem code' but it doesn't seem this is the correct place to enter it. Anyone have any idea?

Lorcain

So far I'm really enjoying my Switch, especially the flexibility to play on the TV and then take it upstairs portable.

A couple of observations so far:
- Undocked in sleep mode with Zelda in suspend play drains the battery...a lot. I woke up this morning and the battery was in the red. I think I need to power off completely and not use suspend play like on the 3DS.

- I've been docking/undocking the switch slowly and carefully, no issues or scratches. I ordered the 2 pack glass screen protectors for $10 to be safe.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

I'm having the same problem.
Does the system just not charge if you play with it plugged in in handheld mode?

ITSMILNER

Ok so, now I've spent more time with the system I can say that I love it. The ideas behind it are great and I never realised really how handy the hybrid thing would be until I was playing Switch and someone wanted to watch the TV so I just popped it out the dock and continued.

That being said, there are things that I would like them to address via updates to the firmware/hardware.

CONSOLE
- The system feels too thin/flat in handheld mode, you don't have anything to grip so doesn't feel overly comfortable after a few hours play. I would like to see them bring out 'fatter' Joycons, ones that have bigger shoulder buttons and maybe a curved back so as to give something to grip in handheld mode

OS/UI
- Ability to create folders, be nice if they have icons you could choose for each folder like different system logos for when VC eventually arrives.
- Needs a web browser, I never thought I would miss it but it was great having one if you were playing a game, got stuck and wanted to check a quick walkthrough to see where you need to go then pop back into the game.
- Like 3DS, an option to choose how many tiles you want on the main screen at once.

ESHOP
- Needs a background theme, I don't like the quietness
- Better organised, right now it's fine as we don't have many games. Once the VC is up and running and we have a selection of indies games they need to shuffle the store and have various sections to tidy it up (New this week, VC, Retail releases, Nindis, demos, apps)

- We don't know much about this yet but the way I hope it works is, each game still allows you to create lobbies, invite friends, create tournaments etc.. as you can on normal online games. I hope the app is only need for voice chat and if you wanted to create a group that travels from game to game without being broken up (like a party chat thing) it would be cool if the app also allowed you to set up games so when you get back to the Switch it's already for you to jump in and play, I just hope features like that are not locked behind the app.

ElfArmy177

I cant remember which switch thread I asked this in so Ill try again lol.

I got the Nintendo bundle from toys R us which includes the games. These games are BOTW, 12 switch, and dance dance 2017. Does anyone have experience with Toys R us, can I return these crappy games and get store credit or do I have to return the whole bundle?

As far as I can tell, the Joycons do not charge if the system is asleep. This is definitely the case undocked, but it puts me in the position that I cannot play it because I have to dock it with the Joycons to charge them.

Pro controller can't get here soon enough.

Biggad

Neo Member
Got a couple of questions and google didnt yield any answers.

1. Are the joy cons charging when the Switch is shut off? I mean not in sleep mode. Because I thought "why wouldnt they?" and I shut the Switch off last night and attached the joycons and after using them for 3 hours today I got the "almost empty" notification.

2. Does it make sense for one joy con to drain its battery faster than the other (when using both in botw)? Just by maybe having to use more buttons more offen on the right one? Just trying to make sure I dont have any faulty units.

3. Could one power mode (i.e. Sleep Mode or shut off) hurt the battery more than the other when it's charged/docked the entire time basically? Really scared of damaging the Switch permanently without knowing it :(

Got a couple of questions and google didnt yield any answers.

1. Are the joy cons charging when the Switch is shut off? I mean not in sleep mode. Because I thought "why wouldnt they?" and I shut the Switch off last night and attached the joycons and after using them for 3 hours today I got the "almost empty" notification.

2. Does it make sense for one joy con to drain its battery faster than the other (when using both in botw)? Just by maybe having to use more buttons more offen on the right one? Just trying to make sure I dont have any faulty units.

3. Could one power mode (i.e. Sleep Mode or shut off) hurt the battery more than the other when it's charged/docked the entire time basically? Really scared of damaging the Switch permanently without knowing it :(

It does not charge the Joycons when turned off or in Sleep mode. My left joycon drained way before the right.

Kintaco

This really baffles me! I've set the console manually to 1080p, Full RGB and I've hooked the Switch to a 4K TV. There really is no blurriness at all (i.e. compared to FF XV on my XB1S which is blurry as fuck). It is crisp and clear. Only downside are the occasional frame drops, but other than that the game looks gorgeous especially if you're considering what HW it is running on.
This is also my experience. I played it on handheld mode first and was worried it would look blurred on my 60" 4K TV, but I was pleasantly surprised how nice it looks.

Now I just need a second Switch as my kids are tag teaming Zelda and I haven't really gotten to play much. And they've never really been into Zelda before.

If you haven't already, check your system's TV settings. Out of the box the resolution and color are set to AUTO and I couldn't believe how bad everything looked on my monitor. I had to change to 1080p and Full Range color myself.

Sora_N

Anyone have pics or thoughts of the hori case? It's the only one I can actually buy right now. I wanted the slick PDP ones but they're all sold out.

I followed the instructions on Nintendo's site and it might, hopefully, be a faulty AC adapter. I'm going to head to GameStop and try to pick up another one and see if that's the issue.

I just barely docked my console last night after pressure from friends that wanted to see it. Its pretty neat doing it for the first time. I've just been loving Handheld mode.

My colors looked washed out like that screenshot. I'm going to try to mess with the settings

sleepnaught

The cards might need to be formatted. I opted for the 200GB card and my Switch wasn't able to read it until I formatted it in the console.

Upgrade to 2.0 (if you haven't), then go to settings, system and then initialize (it's all the way at the bottom). That will give you the option to format your memory card.
Holy crap, thank you!

My initial impressions are very mixed.

I like the snappy OS, power up and time to game. It was such a relief to take a game out of the case slap it in a machine and the game was immediately available to play... All systems moving forward should ensure we revert back to this lost plug and play feature. 10/10 here.

On the flip side, there's lots of worthless cheap plastic in the box. Joy con grip, the dock, straps, bunch of worthless shit. This device only needed a simple cradle for charging and docking. Perhaps an open face one that didn't threaten to ruin your brand new expensive piece of tech... 5/10 for whatever this is.

The screen is smaller than I'd like but I'm new to handheld gaming. I feel like I'm squinting to make out things in the distance in Zelda. That said, I'm liking gaming on the go along with the option to keep the TV going in the background. 8/10, good but could be better.

Then there's... the joycons... oh boy.. these things are not good. They are pathetically small, they feel cheap yet cost $80. The buttons are tiny and feel bad with the little click-in. The analogue sticks have short travel yet manage to be rickity and rough. It's basically impossible to smoothly deflect them in any direction. Then you have the mind boggling layout. The buttons are too close together so you can't press two buttons across from another without hitting the others. Vertically aligned buttons and sticks are exactly as bad as you thought they would be. They are too far apart in normal mode and sideways they are too close together, it's literally the worst of both worlds. In normal control it's awkward to stretch the distance and direction required from the stick to the buttons. I've already resorted to the claw hand pose in order to perform a sprinting jump in Zelda. I wouldn't pay $20 for another set of these pieces of shit. HD rumble, local two player mode and motion controls can kiss my ass for ruining the default controls of the Switch.

So yeah, I give joy cons a 4/10 as far as controllers go. They are better then touchscreen gaming on a phone so congrats there Nintendo. Unfortunately, their form factor driving so many accessories means there will likely not be more ergonomic, higher quality revisions anytime soon. Therefore I downgrade the rating to a 3/10. Not sure I want to suffer through all of Zelda like this but I'd feel dirty rewarding Nintendo buying even more plastic just to get a suitable controller solution in the pro.

Otnopolit

My Switch experience thus far as been perfect. Really falling in love with this thing. I can even play Zelda laying down in portable mode to help the pinched nerve in my neck!

Persona7

Banned
My replacement unit seems to not charge while docked? Not sure if I noticed this yesterday but I also had it in sleep mode for a few hours. It's been at 65% since I plugged it in. I am also charging the joycons and playing with the pro controller.

Is there anyway to upload pictures in their native res instead of being reduced to 1200x675? Despite DQH 1+2 gets shit on being a PS3 port, it's a clean looking game.

Brofield

Does anyone think Nintendo might allow adding further social media to share pictures with? I mean, truth be told if we're sharing screenshots I would imagine Instagram would eventually have that capability, seeing as you can post full 16:9 images on the platform with a single button tap.

Beyond that, I'm so happy with my Zelda purchase. I'm admittedly put off by the high price of the Pro Controller, but I'll likely pick one up when MK8 comes out. I'm hoping I can hold out on further joy con purchases until they come out with additional colours. I'd love a citrus lemon/lime colour combo to go with my neon red/blue

.J.

Banned
So after reading about the fact that the charging controller doesn't have a battery and only charges if you stay plugged in (which in my living room set up is far from ideal), I feel much better about doing this instead:

I picked up a second set of Joy-Cons (got a gray switch, wanted that neon and they had one box left, so I snagged it). When I'm playing docked, which is my preference for Zelda when at home, I just leave the second pair on the switch at all times to charge up. If I've been playing for a few hours, when I put everything up I swap the joy-cons out to let the ones I was using charge up.

It's an easy enough solution for me, and it lets me keep 4 almost completely charged joy-cons at all times for when people want to come over and get into some group multiplayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom