• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up until a day before launch I was adamant on buying the Switch around September.

That plan was short lived :p

drXJ6K.jpg

So I saw the other threads about the Switch getting damaged if you put a skin protector on it. That includes all skin protectors from all companies??? I had just ordered a Skinomi see through one.

So I saw the other threads about the Switch getting damaged if you put a skin protector on it. That includes all skin protectors from all companies??? I had just ordered a Skinomi see through one.
I think the coating that is on the Switch tablet and joy cons to make them feel soft and velvety doesn't play well with any skins, sorry. :/

The front panel/screen bit is fine, though - at least I think, as Nintendo is selling screen protectors :p

linkboy

Dbrand doesn't recommend their skins (or similar one), screen protectors are fine (outside of the premium hori one, which has had issues of peeling).

The best bet is to go with a glass screen protector.

Vibed

I did notice the matte paint on especially the black surfaces of the consoles components scratches very easily. What a shame, cause it looks so nice.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Up until a day before launch I was adamant on buying the Switch around September.

Better than me who waffled on my preorder for months, canceled it a couple of weeks out, spent a lot mental energy and posting here trying to talk myself into canceling it having been the right decision only to pop in a Fry's yesterday and buy one. :D

Very happy with that decision so far. :D Ordered a pro controller (coming Monday) and SD card (coming today) from Amazon this morning, so I'm mostly set other than eventually needing a case. Already have 5v 2.4a wall charger that I should be able to use when traveling and can just use the USB C charger cord that comes with the Pro Controller.

No one can blame you for that. ;)
Have fun with Zelda and take your time to play around in the world.

Thank you :)

Unfortunately I can't play a whole lot of Zelda at the moment because I'm deep into Horizon ZD

I'm not good with juggling between two games :p

Better than me who waffled on my preorder for months, canceled it a couple of weeks out, spend a lot mental energy and posting here trying to talk myself into canceling it having been the right decision only to pop in a Frys yesterday and buy one. :D

Very happy with that decision so far. :D Ordered a pro controller (coming Monday) and SD card (coming today) from Amazon this morning, so I'm mostly set other than eventually needing a case. Already have 5v 2.4a wall charger that I should be able to use when traveling and can just use the USB C charger cord that comes with the Pro Controller.

I can relate to that. I cancelled my Switch pre-order on Amazon a while back thinking I would pick one up around September. I saw one in stock at Argos yesterday so I went for it.

Just bought a switch and bout to set it up. Anything I need to know beforehand? Like should I have the joy cons connected to the switch while it's updating or something?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Unfortunately I can't play a whole lot of Zelda at the moment because I'm deep into Horizon ZD

I'm going to try and juggle, but in the same boat! Want to play Zelda and enjoy my new console, but I'm super sucked into Horizon.

Just bought a switch and bout to set it up. Anything I need to know beforehand? Like should I have the joy cons connected to the switch while it's updating or something?

I didn't play at the start and just let the joycons and the pro controller charge. The HDMI cord is a bit short so plan accordingly.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'm the same. For now my switch will be bomberman and snipperclips. Maybe my daughter will play Zelda before I get to it.

Arttemis

drXJ6K.jpg
I was going to wait until a bundle. Then, BoTW got 40 perfect scores and I decided to wait over an hour in the cold for a switch.

GiSk6P8h.jpg

My joycons do disconnect if I lean back on my couch, though. I'll be getting a pro controller to mitigate that.

SeanR1221

Better than me who waffled on my preorder for months, canceled it a couple of weeks out, spend a lot mental energy and posting here trying to talk myself into canceling it having been the right decision only to pop in a Frys yesterday and buy one. :D

Basically in the same boat. Figured I could wait on Zelda and the hype got me

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Anyone else's switch having issues with Wifi? Router is in the other room and still only getting 2 bars and really slow. My 3ds/wii u/ps4/vita all dont have this issue

Futureman

Maybe I'm just focusing on the Scratch-gate thread and the various "Half baked OS" threads, but things feel a little negative.

Overall though people are happy? I really want Zelda and Snipperclips to play w/ my GF.

ElfArmy177

I managed to get one of the Toys R Us bundles with a console, screen protector, case, and zelda/12 switch/dance dance. Curious... does anyone know if I can return the 12 switch and dance dance to a toys r us and get full refund or store credit in order to get some games I actually want?

Maybe I'm just focusing on the Scratch-gate thread and the various "Half baked OS" threads, but things feel a little negative.

Overall though people are happy? I really want Zelda and Snipperclips to play w/ my GF.

Very happy. UI is snappy, Nintendo Store on the Switch is fantastic, Zelda looks unbelievable when playing in Handheld mode.

I small feature I do like is you need to press a button 3 times to wake up the system.

Very happy. Salty salt salts are always the loudest. Seeing Zelda run smooth in all its glory in handheld mode is a sight to be seen.

Super happy right now. The scratching thing is annoying, but I partially lined the interior of the dock with some softer material.

Love the concept and the feel of the system though. I actually like the 'half baked OS' quite a bit. The PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U became too noisy for my taste. Simplicity is a great thing, and I hope they don't change much except offering video apps and a web browser in the future.

Mind you I have never been a big handheld guy even though I have owned every main handheld from Nintendo..always wanted to be into it, but generally speaking the hardware always felt off to me. Not the case with the Switch. Played Zelda in handheld mode for 3 hours straight until the battery died..longest I played a handheld game in one sitting in like 15 years. Maybe it's just Zelda, but I'll be happy if this is the first system to finally get me into portable gaming.

Is anyone else having an issue with sleep mode?

Every time I hit the power button in order to sleep the device (quick press, not long hold) the screen turns off correctly, but then wakes up a couple of seconds afterwards.

Is it motion sensitive? I'm certainly not pressing any buttons

Magnus

No one else disappointed in the screen? Shit is highly reflective, and for Zelda at least, really messes up colour saturation and overall IQ. Was it too much to expect something better? I've gotten way too used to my iPhones for the last four years and expected something as good.

I'm going to try and juggle, but in the same boat! Want to play Zelda and enjoy my new console, but I'm super sucked into Horizon.

aaaand I'm with both of you.

I'm the same. For now my switch will be bomberman and snipperclips. Maybe my daughter will play Zelda before I get to it.

It's frustrating but what else can one do.

I was going to wait until a bundle. Then, BoTW got 40 perfect scores and I decided to wait over an hour in the cold for a switch.

GiSk6P8h.jpg

My joycons do disconnect if I lean back on my couch, though. I'll be getting a pro controller to mitigate that.

Nice. I hope you're enjoying your time with BotW :)

Anyone else's switch having issues with Wifi? Router is in the other room and still only getting 2 bars and really slow. My 3ds/wii u/ps4/vita all dont have this issue

Yeah I'm getting 2 bars as well. It's not that good.

Sh0k

I love my Switch, took me a while to open up the Pro Controller, was playing Zelda with the Joycon Grip but yesterday I opened the Pro controller and what a difference, the Pro is super comfortable to play with.

I have one issue though, while in the process of cleaning up the screen to apply a screen protector, I noticed a couple of dust specks that I believe they are in between the plastic and the actual screen, you can't notice while playing a game but it is one of those that when you know they are there, you will always see it. I'm pretty sure that the dust is under, because is not causing any bubbles with the screen protector on.

Other than that, zero issues with the Switch.

Futureman

No one else disappointed in the screen? Shit is highly reflective, and for Zelda at least, really messes up colour saturation and overall IQ. Was it too much to expect something better? I've gotten way too used to my iPhones for the last four years and expected something as good.

How is the screen brightness/color compared to Wii U? I was playing Tropical Freeze last night on my brother's Wii U on the gamepad. We then switched to TV mode and it was so much easier to see things. Gamepad feels very washed out.

I don't really care about it being reflective as I'll be playing in my house 90% of the time.

How is the screen brightness/color compared to Wii U? I was playing Tropical Freeze last night on my brother's Wii U on the gamepad. We then switched to TV mode and it was so much easier to see things. Gamepad feels very washed out.

I don't really care about it being reflective as I'll be playing in my house 90% of the time.

infinitely better than the wii u gamepad. it's a really good screen.

if you're seeing a huge differential between zelda on your tv and zelda on the switch then you either got a bad switch or your tv is poorly calibrated.

Way better. The Wii U gamepad screen was an utter disaster. The Switch screen is really good, and some even prefer the resolution density of playing in handheld mode over docked mode. It's much more vibrant and bright than the Wii U gamepad.

Magnus

To me, it's definitely a BIT better than the Wii U Gamepad, but barely. The way everyone's talking about it here it's like it's a Vita screen. I don't think it's even close. I hope I'm not sounding like a brat. I just wanted so much more from this screen since it's much more core to this system than the Wii U game pad was.

To me, it's definitely a BIT better than the Wii U Gamepad, but barely. The way everyone's talking about it here it's like it's a Vita screen. I don't think it's even close. I hope I'm not sounding like a brat. I just wanted so much more from this screen since it's much more core to this system than the Wii U game pad was.
that sounds like something is wrong with your system then.

my switch screen is nice, bright, and even.

I feel like something could be wrong with your Switch. The screen is far more impressive to me than the Vita (I had the LCD version though). The Switch screen is on a completely different level than the Wii U gamepad. I'm pretty sensitive to screens on mobile devices in general. I could never get into portable gaming because of how junky the displays have been on portable gaming devices generally speaking (even the Vita screen, while good quality, was not great for me because of the 540p..it was really blurry to my eyes). I'm not feeling the same way with the Switch so far.

Magnus

that sounds like something is wrong with your system then.

my switch screen is nice, bright, and even.

I feel like something could be wrong with your Switch. The screen is far more impressive to me than the Vita (I had the LCD version though). The Switch screen is on a completely different level than the Wii U gamepad. I'm pretty sensitive to screens on mobile devices in general. I could never get into portable gaming because of how junky the displays have been on portable gaming devices generally speaking. I'm not feeling the same way with the Switch so far.

I honestly don't think it's defective. It looks pretty great outside of Zelda. I wouldn't call it infinitely better than the Wii U gamepad (I just ran them side by side to make sure I'm not going crazy, and aside from the Resolution bump and slightly better vibrancy, they're closer than people remember), but it's better, yes. With Zelda specifically, it just seems really washed out and faded. I think my system is honestly just fine and I'm being whiny.

Robiin

Fuck this, I am so angry.

The console and Zelda was sent from the warehouse where I pre-ordered the Switch March 1st. Pro controller that I ordered right before release from the same store warehouse was also sent March 1st.

Pro controller came in the mailbox yesterday. The console doesn't fit in the mailbox, so I expected a text message about going to the local post office to collect it the same evening (this is how it works in my country - whatever doesn't fit in the mailbox, the postman simply delivers to the post office and when they scan it an sms is automatically sent to your phone "You have a parcel to collect at ...."). However, no message came and the whole day went by. I was mad but whatever, one day is fine - even though I have taken three days off because of this launch. I can just play it tomorrow, cause of course it will show up Saturday at the latest right!

Saturday is over, and still nothing. Because it was sent by regular mail, it is untrackable. I have called the post office and they can't search by my name or anything, all they want is a tracking number (which again, I don't have because it was sent with regular federal post).

Of course, tomorrow is Sunday, which means that no post is delivered and even if the parcel comes in tonight, the post office is closed. And Monday I start working. I have taken extra shifts next week so that I could take a long weekend and stay at home when the Switch launched. So even if I get it Monday, I can't pick it up until Tuesday and even if I pick it up, I work 8 days straight and will be tired as fuck.

So I face a dilemma. I got my first Switch unit from BB yesterday, and played about 8 hours of Zelda before realizing it has a dead pixel right in the center of the screen. I have my Switch from Amazon coming in today. So the question is, do I just trash the 8 hours and start over, or do I just deal with the dead pixel and finish Zelda before moving to the new unit?

Thanks for making this an issue by not allowing save transfers, Nintendo.

How do you move data from the console storage to the SD storage? I put my SD into the switch after I downloaded some games and can't find a way to move those games to the SD card.

Magnus

Ok here we go. I know non-direct feed images are a dumb way to illustrate this, but I think these shots actually describe my issue.

News screen - looks pretty great. Nice, bright, even.

PEzFVCP.jpg

Zelda - no brightness settings adjusted. Same lighting conditions in the room. Just popped into the game. Look how faded it is. The contrast is crap. The blacks are basically greys.

pv6YhxA.jpg

It almost looks like I suddenly have a screen protector on it that's diffusing detail and messing with the image. (Honestly, I can't stand any screen protectors on my device. Haven't seen one yet that doesn't fuck with IQ)

I honestly don't think it's defective. It looks pretty great outside of Zelda. I wouldn't call it infinitely better than the Wii U gamepad (I just ran them side by side to make sure I'm not going crazy, and aside from the Resolution bump and slightly better vibrancy, they're closer than people remember), but it's better, yes. With Zelda specifically, it just seems really washed out and faded. I think my system is honestly just fine and I'm being whiny.

Fair enough.

I was just playing MK8 yesterday on the gamepad, and I honestly forgot just how bad the screen was. I'm really sensitive to the 480p > 720p jump personally so maybe that's why I really enjoy the Switch screen. 480p is really distracting and bad to my eyes so I could never really stand the gamepad screen. Other thing is I have an OLED so going from the OLED to the gamepad screen is completely..yeah..just bad obviously. I'm not feeling that way with the Switch as much so that's why I have a lot more praise for it in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom