• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

killroy87

Asked this in the Zelda thread, but figured this might be good too. If my partner and I play Zelda on our own Switch accounts on the same system, will that keep our game saves separate? We both want to play, but obviously want our own progress, and the save system of this new Zelda doesn't easily allow that.

marrec

Banned
Asked this in the Zelda thread, but figured this might be good too. If my partner and I play Zelda on our own Switch accounts on the same system, will that keep our game saves separate? We both want to play, but obviously want our own progress, and the save system of this new Zelda doesn't easily allow that.

Yes, my son and I are doing the same thing and it keeps the saves completely separate.

sleepnaught

Looks like my SD card reader is defective on my Switch. Tried everything under the sun to get it to work. It doesn't read it under data management and the format option under Initialize can't read it either. Just great....

Cyanity

Banned
Played 4 player Snipperclips with friends last night and had an absolute drunken blast. Sleeper hit of 2017 IMO.

This might be a dumb question. Is there no way to completely power off the Switch from the Pro Controller? I only get the sleep mode option. And what about powering on the system from the Pro Controller?

You can power on the system with the home button on the joy-cons, so I imagine it would be the same with the pro controller.

Zalman

This might be a dumb question. Is there no way to completely power off the Switch from the Pro Controller? I only get the sleep mode option. And what about powering on the system from the Pro Controller?

unrealist

I actually bought 1-2 Switch and it's great for just one reason today.

My brother and his blind friend played so many of the mini-games for 2 hours straight! Sure, we had to teach his friend how to play but he got it quickly as there were audio cues for most mini-games. In fact, the audio cues are key for most of them (you don't really have to look at the screen). The rumble adds to this too. He loves Table Tennis and can just serve/return by hearing the bounce of the ball.

Despite the flaws of a system, it's literally similar to a human being - We are not perfect. We should sometimes be a little positive and it could just make your day and future a little better.

Persona7

Banned
I've been trying to figure out how to power the system down in general(with joy cons and pro controller) without holding the power button while not docked. I guess when it is docked you can't shut it down completely?

killroy87

Did anyone else have a bitch of a time unhinging the kickstand for the first time? It was incredibly stubborn, I kept looking for a release button or something.

Bii

I've been trying to figure out how to power the system down in general(with joy cons and pro controller) without holding the power button while not docked. I guess when it is docked you can't shut it down completely?

That's correct. Forever sleep mode while docked.

Persona7

Banned
Did anyone else have a bitch of a time unhinging the kickstand for the first time? It was incredibly stubborn, I kept looking for a release button or something.

Yes. It is still difficult even now. It is completely flush with the system and you can't wedge your fingernail in the groove to pop it out.

Does anyone know if Nintendo released the Switch Dock Set accessory and if stores are selling it. Nintendo announced that people can buy an extra Switch dock. I am looking to buy an extra dock for another tv in the house.

Bii

Does anyone know if Nintendo released the Switch Dock Set accessory and if stores are selling it. Nintendo announced that people can buy an extra Switch dock. I am looking to buy an extra dock for another tv in the house.

Assuming you're in the US, you can only get it from Nintendo's Parts Store:

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod840594

$59.99

That does not come with an AC Adapter, so you'll have to buy that separate as well.

MDave

Love the Switch. It's a truly magical moment when I was sitting down at a hotel lobby this morning, decided to pull the Switch out and set it on the table to play some Zelda in tabletop mode. I'm going to be using this everywhere, at home and when I'm out.

So here is a little something. My Switch came with an icon already on the home screen straight out of the box. It's still there after I updated the firmware. Maybe it was some kind of test software Nintendo had on a cart? But they forgot to factory reset my Switch after testing? Here is a link to some screenshots I took:

http://imgur.com/a/HDI3H

I'm going to keep it there on my Switch, makes mine unique hah!

So after a day with my switch my only real complaint is the complete lack of 3.5 jacks on any of the controller options. The Pro should at the very least have it or have the system compatible with Bluetooth headphones . Ugh. Otherwise I like it though.

Furo

I need fast help guys.
Played the switch yesterday in handheld mide and skipped the tv setup. How can I do that now? Nothing is happening in the dock and there is no option in the settings wtf I am trying for 10 minutes now...

JakeD

What's the best USB cable/power bank combo right now? What's the safe specs I should be looking for in terms of power?

Looks like my SD card reader is defective on my Switch. Tried everything under the sun to get it to work. It doesn't read it under data management and the format option under Initialize can't read it either. Just great....

Did you try the card elsewhere ? Might be a defective card

Cyanity

Banned
What's the best USB cable/power bank combo right now? What's the safe specs I should be looking for in terms of power?

To add to this: does anyone know of a good tempered glass screen protector? This and a powerbank are all I need for this to be a 100% portable beast.

Or the Switch doesn't like the SD card you bought. Did the Switch download the SD card update when you first plugged in the card?

My guess 2 Million.
Disagree, that's the entire amount Nintendo plans to ship in all of March, and I doubt they would have shipped all of them on one day, with no more available at all for the rest of the month.

I hope they expand screenshot management options soon. At the very least it needs to support saving to a flash drive through the dock or something.

Shame there's no video capture at launch, either. Zelda is the kind of game that produces tons of weird, unique moments I'd love to save.

Nintendo Switch Screen Protector Glass, amFilm Nintendo Switch Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Nintendo Switch 2017 (2-Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3ASPNV/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I wish I got those ones. Have had the Orzly ones preordered since January and I'm not even sure when they are going to ship out/get to me because of some order problems they were having.

What do you mean? I turned mine off in the dock. I just held the power button down and selected power off.

Yeah same, this is what I did to power mine down. Does this also only put it into sleep mode or something?

Waji

My brother and his blind friend played so many of the mini-games for 2 hours straight! Sure, we had to teach his friend how to play but he got it quickly as there were audio cues for most mini-games. In fact, the audio cues are key for most of them (you don't really have to look at the screen). The rumble adds to this too. He loves Table Tennis and can just serve/return by hearing the bounce of the ball.

Despite the flaws of a system, it's literally similar to a human being - We are not perfect. We should sometimes be a little positive and it could just make your day and future a little better.
That was a really nice anecdote.

Will the Switch charge my Pro controller over USB while in sleep mode?

Also, is it safe for me to charge the tablet over USB to wall outlet? I get that intensive games like Zelda might drain the battery quicker than it's charging it, but if I'm round my girlfriends house, and she has her Switch docked, and we had to go out for a couple of hours - is it safe for me to leave my tablet just hooked up to USB through a wall adapter?

If the console is fully powered off, is it possible to turn on remotely?
No.

How am I supposed to move games to the sd card? The only option I see is to uninstall them.
I would like to know this also. Must we really re-download the games upon inserting an SD card?

nullpoynter

That's awesome! I love hearing stories like this. It's great that Nintendo tries to bring everyone together instead of just the hardcore audience. Say what you will, but Nintendo just wants everyone to have fun. I hope they keep coming out with games like 1 2 Switch, in addition to their usual franchises, so that there is something for everyone.

alf717

Hurray I can finally join in on this thread! Amazon got me the Switch, Zelda SE and Pro controller to me today. Played very little of Zelda but man it looks gorgeous.

pswii60

Is anyone else's fan going in to crazy mode when they're playing Zelda handheld? It's loud and it's annoying! I thought the fan would only be used when docked?

Zafir

I was going to buy another power charger for the Switch but then I saw the price... £25.

Is there any cheaper alternatives, can we use phone chargers with it or something?

Get'sMad

did my first longer Zelda play session in portable mode and yeah the Joycons are hell on my hands without the grip. My left palm starts to fall asleep after using the thing after a bit. I guess I can hope for some 3rd party type thing to attach to them to help with ergonomics for people like me while in portable mode...fortunately I will be using it primarily docked on my tv though.

Data Ghost

Loving this thing so far, played lots of docked Zelda last night and found the pro controller to be fantastic. Then this morning I woke up, undocked the Switch, and sat downstairs on the couch with a cup of coffee for a good 2 hours continuing Zelda. Only slight issue so far is the weird way I have to contort my thumb for the right joycon but I'm adapting. All in all, absolutely NO regrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom