• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

meppi

I really want to know how the NeoGeo ports are still. I'm this close to getting Metal Slug 3, but if its a shoddy port I'll just be sad.

I bought all 5 that were released in Europe and they all seem really well done.
Seems the same as on PS4 with all the different options and everything in tact.

No issues here.

Kermy

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this before? But is anyone else's switch making a lot of fan noise? It seems to happen right after waking it up from sleep mode, or right after switching it on after it has been off for a little while.

Yep. Same here. Other people have reported it also. Video here: https://youtu.be/xKtHeVkdPfE

Best thing to do now is to report it to Nintendo by calling support. I already did it but the more people pushing this problem the better.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
So a concern I'd not thought of just hit me. As I don't own one yet I can't check. Is the battery in the tablet replaceable by the user?
We don't have any *clear* idea yet but it looks possible me. We do know it's not possible without taking the system apart though and we'd most likely need to get the batteries straight from Nintendo which they problably wouldn't do.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
At the risk of becoming just another voice in the crowd, I will say that Zelda is absolutely stunning: I haven't felt this captivated by a game world since Oblivion, and Zelda handles the gameplay quite a bit better.

This is the most effective marketing I have seen for Zelda (and Switch) yet. This is what everyone I know wants in a game.

spock

Those have been going away for years, though. The Switch is not new in this regard. The vast, vast majority of 3DS releases haven't had manuals for years.

Ahh ok, I'm a lapsed gamer just getting back into things, didnt know they killed off paper completely. Heck I wish we could go back to the old pc ultima days of maps, thick manuals, etc. :)

We don't have any *clear* idea yet but it looks possible me. We do know it's not possible without taking the system apart though and we'd most likely need to get the batteries straight from Nintendo which they problably wouldn't do.

Hmm, that is a bit of a concern. I've had to replace the battery in my tablet and phone eventually. I imagine the tablet will also suffer an extent of battery degradation after a couple years.

ultrazilla

I love my Switch! :) Got it yesterday just before noon via Amazon and then went over to my brother's house who had secured 3 copies of the special edition for him, my other brother and I. :) So we're all rocking Nintendo Switches with Special Edition Legend of Zelda: BOTW!!

Shared a few pics. The Sheikah carrying case is awesome. Rugged, sturdy and lots of room to hold game cartridges, earbuds along with the entire handheld system.

It's basically the Master Edition without the Sword. :)

Also bought Fast Racing RMX off the eShop, downloaded the Snipperclips playable demo. The eShop is pretty barren right now and hopefully Nintendo will be filling it up with content quickly. I'm surprised they weren't more offering through the shop for the launch but Zelda is keeping me more than occupied.

Played Zelda a bit on handheld mode and though it looks "crisper" on the small screen, I prefer it on my 1080p 50 inch tv. Some minor framerate hiccups here and there but nothing game breaking.

My only concern seems to be actual horsepower. Since Zelda is on the Wii U as well, the Switch having framerate issues is troubling. Just going my Fast Racing RMX and Zelda, it appears to me that the system is like 1 or 2 times as powerful as the Wii U.

Hopefully we'll get either updated tablets with better tech/upgrades for 4k/60fps or "add on" docks that add more horsepower via that patent Nintendo secured for add on computational devices(ie more horsepower).

All in all though, I'm very happy with the system.

Sh0k

Don't know if this been answered before, I have a 32GB micro card with me, if I install it in the Switch, can I re-download all the games in the case it gets full and I buy a bigger memory card? Also, does the switch asks you where do you want to download a game, internal memory or additional memory?

trixx

I'm just worried of this console following in line with the Wii U. So much could have went right and there was tons of positivity going in. Now that I have it I'm both impressed and disappointed. Impressed with the hardware(somewhat, things like the dock, and hd rumble in 1-2 switch... not so much) and disappointed by the software; OS, online features, apps, virtual console, games etc.. As a Wii U owner I expected more for the launch. They had ample time since the last year or two of the Wii U was fuck all

Nintendo and Nvidia engineered something crazy in such a small space, it's quality product that should be better imo

Here's a question for you all - is there a way to turn the system on/off via a Pro Controller/Joycon without having to manually push the power button on the console?

I tried everything but the only option available was "Sleep Mode".

My PS4 let's me do this under power settings and I can turn the system on with the controller as well.

I'm just worried of this console following in line with the Wii U. So much could have went right and there was tons of positivity going in. Now that I have it I'm both impressed and disappointed. Impressed with the hardware(somewhat, things like the dock, and hd rumble in 1-2 switch) and disappointed by the software; OS, online features, apps, games etc.. As a Wii U owner I expected more for the launch. They had ample time since the last year or two of the Wii U was fuck all

dont worry. this is not just the wiiu successor but the wiiu plus 3DS successor (the more I hold this thing in my hand the more its clearer that it is a handheld at its core). nintendo needs to make this a success or going third party is inevitable. they will drop prices and pay third parties if necessary this time around (similar to the 3DS)

Leave it on sleep mode while its docked. Just like ps4 had a sleep mode and xbox one has an instant on mode. Same thing.

Sleep mode may be the same thing but if you can't power on the system from the off mode (I dont own a Switch so I don't know) that is different from the PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U. You can power on all these systems from the off mode using the respective controllers.

Sleep mode may be the same thing but if you can't power on the system from the off mode (I dont own a Switch so I don't know) that is different from the PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U. You can power on all these systems from the off mode using the respective controllers.
The thing is, there's very little reason to turn your Switch off unless you're out and want to conserve as much battery as possible.

Actually had a lot of fun with Bomberman r online just now. Quick to find matches and the input delay didn't seem as bad as my first try.

It's very basic but I would recommend it especially since Konami acknowledged the input delay and are working on a fix. It's pretty fun.

GeNoMe

Yep. Same here. Other people have reported it also. Video here: https://youtu.be/xKtHeVkdPfE

Best thing to do now is to report it to Nintendo by calling support. I already did it but the more people pushing this problem the better.

Well that sucks :( I'll be calling Nintendo to report the issue. I hope this will be fixed with a future update. Really don't feel like sending my unit off for repairs. It's only been 2 day :/

I loooove Zelda and I also love the Pro Controller.

My only issue with the Pro Controller is that I keep hitting the Home Button or the Snapshot button while trying to hit the +/- buttons lol!

I'll get used to it :)

SexyFish

Banned
Heads up anyone still wanting to pick up a switch. Target, Toys R Us and Best Buy all told me they'd be receiving more units tomorrow. YMMV. I'm in East Tennessee but I doubt it's regional.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
strange,it looks from the unboxing photos like rubber.

It's dotted plastic, and unlike the rest of the body, it's opaque, so by contrast it looks rubbery. However, rest assured that it's fairly soft plastic, and it's definitely comfortable to hold.

Captain Failure

Neo Member
Anyone having problems with the left joycon just constantly disconnecting when not hooked up to the console itself. I can have it inches away from console and it will disconnect. Starting to get really annoying because I want to be able to play on my TV and I can't.

I'm liking the Switch, loving Zelda but having issues with the left joy-con. It was terrible yesterday to the point where I couldn't control Link as soon as I started the game.

Sargon

Does the serial number sticker on the bottom of the screen bother anyone else? I know it is very nitpicky and OCD, but I wish the sticker wasn't so visible.

Only had the switch for less than a day and I love it.

Zelda is fantastic and my GOTY for 2017 already. Hell, I wasn't planning on it but I bought Fast RMX & shovel knight treasure trove as well.

Fast RMX took a bit to get used to, but after getting the hang of it, It's a fun arcade racing game to play.

I didn't like Shovel knight on the 3DS. However, I find it much easier to play on the switch and I'm starting to get the hang of the controls.

For those who weren't sure, you can buy those Nintendo e-shop cards at the store and use them for Switch games.

DjRalford

I really can't wait to see that first months sales figures, i was suprised how much walk in stock was showing on the stocking sites yesterday but stock seems to be getting much more scarce over the last 24hrs.

orient

Neo Member
Very happy with the Switch so far. I got the bare minimum (console, Zelda) and the only accessory I feel is 100% necessary is a carry case, which I'll pick up soon. I may get a Pro Controller down the line but honestly, the one time I tested out docked mode, I found the grip to be really comfortable playing Zelda. I'll mainly be playing in handheld mode.

Goes without saying that Zelda is incredible; has the same sense of exploration as a Bethesda game. Feels much more organic than other 3D Zeldas.

If I Am Setsuna was a bit cheaper I'd pick that up, but I may just grab Metal Slug or something. I can't do Bomberman -- it just looks horrible -- bad animation, bad effects. The explosions are Might No.9 levels of trash.

Ahh ok, I'm a lapsed gamer just getting back into things, didnt know they killed off paper completely. Heck I wish we could go back to the old pc ultima days of maps, thick manuals, etc. :)

I mean, you aren't alone :V but yeah, there's been a trend away from physical manuals for nearly half a decade now. Most PS4 games come with minimal if any manuals, too.

DjRalford

I mean, you aren't alone :V but yeah, there's been a trend away from physical manuals for nearly half a decade now. Most PS4 games come with minimal if any manuals, too.

Yeah, even WiiU games at best came with a slip of paper just showing controls, no proper manuals for years now

L.O.R.D

It's dotted plastic, and unlike the rest of the body, it's opaque, so by contrast it looks rubbery. However, rest assured that it's fairly soft plastic, and it's definitely comfortable to hold.
For a $70 controller,i wish it's something like the lunar White or forza 6 controller for Xbox one,the only Xbox controller that has rubber grip beside the elite,though the forza/lunar has only back rubber grip,not like full rubber grip like the elite.

Sargon

Does anyone know the charging requirements for the Pro Controller? I thought any old USB-A port would work for charging it, but I have an old USB hub that I have used for my Wii U and it doesn't seem to do anything when I plug the Pro Controller into it. The charging light doesn't come on like it does when I plug the cable directly into the dock.

A local retailer near me said they'll have a new shipment of fifteen Switches in tomorrow at 10AM.

Is two hours before opening too late a time to arrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom