• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in.

Positives (mostly involving software):

- Zelda at launch and Mario within the year puts this on par with the Wii launch for me, if not better. In my books these are the definition of a system-seller. Yes, it's nothing but Zelda for the first few months (and I would alternatively just play it on the Wii U were it not for the fact that I could really use the portability), but if this sufficed for the Wii (which I bought at launch for TP even though I had a GameCube) it will suffice for me here.

- I don't know how I'll make time for Xenoblade, but I probably won't have to worry about it until 2019.

- Arms looks fascinating and I will be keeping an eye on it if it shows up in the demos in the days ahead.

- I love that Nintendo is maintaining its commitment to motion control and am very curious about the actual finesse of the new HD Rumble.

- $299 is what I expected; not exciting, just acceptable. I'm more worried about the software prices in the long run if the Switch is also succeeding the 3DS; the $60 benchmark for everything, especially first-party titles that hold their value, without a low-cost portable line, is going to hit very hard.

Reservations:

- I am not pleased with paid online, but maybe if Splatoon 2 launches early enough I will get my fill of the online multiplayer during the trial period. Not a deal-breaker, but something I am likely to opt out of—online wasn't that important to me even in MK8 and Smash (I get all my online play in on PC), so Splatoon is the game that opting out would really kill.

- What they described of the Capture (Share) button and social-media integration makes me suspect they are preparing to kill Miiverse.

- Smartphone integration with the Nintendo Network doesn't especially matter to me, and if services like these are the reason for the premium online, I don't think the trade-off is worth it.

- 1-2-Switch looked so obviously like a pack-in that I am astonished it isn't. Like Nintendo Land, it's the kind of technical demonstration you want to shove into people's hands so they get it; I don't envision a lot of them seeking it out themselves.

- Maybe this is something for the spec sheets and press kits, but I need to hear about storage, Nintendo Network account integration, and whatever is going on with eShop/VC. We are what, seven weeks from launch?

- Obviously they have a lot up their sleeves for E3, even if it's scheduled for 2018 and beyond. I expected both the first- and third-party presence in this presentation to lean towards Japan. I'm waiting on Retro and Platinum in particular.

- No BG&E, again.

So, my shopping list: the Switch console, Mario, Zelda, and keeping an eye on Splatoon while we wait for more information about online. Passing on the Pro Controller until I know how I feel about the standard grip (I never needed one for the Wii U either, as universally as I heard it praised). I would expect at least one appealing Fall/Holiday game to appear at E3.

depths20XX

Maybe it'll end up like 3DS with a horrible start that catches on later with more releases. That's all I can see cuz this launch looks terrible.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Really weird to see how $50 can be a deal breaker for some people.

I'm on board for $300

NOT $50!!!!

If it was 249, the same people would be saying $199. If it was free, they would be saying youd have to pay me $50 to play it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That presentation was a trainwreck. They spent an ungodly amount of time going over the hardware and presented us entirely with things we already knew about. What's the online going to be like? What's the OS like? How does that mobile app actually work? Can we see the system in action? What's the capacity like?

And that launch line up. My god. Zelda looks stellar but... um... that's it? They didn't even mention Mario Kart 8 (which is launching a month later) and spent more time on third party developers promising to make games than showing the ones that were actually in development. What exactly is that Square Enix RPG? That looked cool. Can we see more of that?

Nintendo learned nothing from the Wii U's reveal. Its message was muddled, confusing and absolutely devoid of any compelling piece of software outside of Zelda. I probably sit the launch out. Wii U Zelda is fine by me.

Watch the US presentation tomorrow at 9:30 AM EST. I think you will see more of those kinds of details in it as it will be more consumer focused.

For the record, this was a presentation to a business audience in Japan. I would expect less of a total rehash tomorrow and more fleshed out details. Hopefully I'm not wrong!

Danj

$300 is a little more than I was hoping for, particularly as thanks to Brexit it'll translate to £300 in the UK due to the weak pound (can't bitch about being short changed any more).

I wasn't planning on waking up at 4am and watching the presentation, so I didn't set my alarm clock and was planning on getting up at 6 as normal. But I woke up this morning and saw my alarm clock said exactly 4:00, so I took it as a sign I should go watch it. And actually I really liked a lot of what I saw.

I haven't owned a Nintendo home console since the Nintendo 64 (I never got a Wii, and the Wii U was always too expensive and didn't have a lot of games I was interested in).

But I did the math and since it's not out till March I think I should be able to afford this (especially if the annual 1% pay rise comes through at some point). So I think I'm going to jump in at launch.

StereoVsn

$300 for a portable and console would seem OK, but Nintendo have to blitz that marketing. Instead of buying a $300 PS 4 console and $200 Vita, you can buy a $300 Switch instead, could be a marketing gimmick. Remember guys this is NOT just a console but a hybrid your buying. I'll wait for more games and them buy close to summer 2017, but count me in as an early adopter.

Yes, instead of a system that has literally hundreds of game (PS4 more then Xbone by this point but large libraries on both), a customer can pay MORE for a system with grand total of 2 games. Clearly, this plan cannot fail.

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot, those other systems range from decent amount more powerful (Xbone S) to quite a bit more powerful (PS4 Slim) to shitload more powerful (PS4 Pro) to this fall's (not even in the same galaxy more powerful with Scorpio). IMO, this will need a price drop and all the usual Japanese suspects releasing games and then localizing them fairly quickly. We probably will be in OG 3DS situation by this Holiday season and even worse with $200 PS4 and Xbone S both with pack in games, $300ish PS4 Pro and $400 Scorpio.

I just don't understand how after the 3DS's bad launch and the continued abysmal sales of the Wii U they thought it was a good idea to go with $300, no pack in game AND paid online.... I have such a bad feeling that this is going to be Nintendo's biggest disaster.

So the launch lineup looks like the following games based on Nintendo's site:
- 1, 2 Switch
- The Legend of Zelda: BotW
- Just Dance 2017
- Has Been Heroes
- Snipperclips
- Super Bomberman R
- Disgaea 5 Complete
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Rayman Legends
- Steep
- Skylanders: Imaginators
- I Am Setsuna

"Has been heroes" sums up that lineup pretty damn well.

$300 + paid online + awful specs = I'll see ya at the end of the generation Nintendo when there are like 6 games I want to play for a fraction of the price.

Bless up. That's the real way to play Nintendo as of late. Wait til the flop console gets extremely cheap and pick up some of the games you missed out on.

£280?

Over £300 if I want to play Zelda at launch? I mean, Zelda looks great and all but nah. Can't justify that to play one game. Will wait for a price cut and hopefully a bigger library by then.

finalflame

I was expecting to not have to pay for online. Switch + games + online is too much for me.

I guess it depends on what kinds of games you're looking to play on Switch; online is not a requirement, When I brought my XBOX with me to Rio in 2002 I had to just play the shit out of Morrowind, Blood Wake, and Halo for a year until I saved the R$200 to buy a new game, and I never had Live. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

£279.99 in UK....damn LKD was saying £249.99 with a game :( She was miles off!

Wow at that price, dead in the water. Combined with Zelda it's almost same price as a PS4 pro. I'm just going to wait till it reaches a more reasonable price and upgrade my PS4. Will just buy Zelda on wii u, must admit I'm very disappointed in Nintendo, seems they have lost the plot. I mean you could buy PS4 and Xbox ones with games for £200 even less just a month or so ago.

$300
$70 controller
Paid online

too expensive, especially if you consider the launch lineup:
- 1, 2 Switch
- The Legend of Zelda: BotW
- Just Dance 2017
- Has Been Heroes
- Snipperclips
- Super Bomberman R
- Disgaea 5 Complete
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Rayman Legends
- Steep
- Skylanders: Imaginators
- I Am Setsuna

Damit, if it wasn't for Zelda, this thing would be DOA. It has a huge price AND a content problem. Not looking good.

Tankard

I'm out with Nintendo, they are still living on their own bubble. Nintendo faithful will love it like they love the Wii u, but i doubt they will reach a new audience.

Mario Odissey though, looked amazing to me, will definitely find a way to borrow the console when it comes out.

It's not just the $300 price tag, it's just nothing at launch besides Zelda which I already preordered on WiiU and no release date for Xenoblade 2. Nothing else discussed interests me, so I'll just buy a PS4 and a new laptop. Maybe next year I'll buy a Switch.

Gemeanie

Jesus even PSVR had a better launch lineup.
I'm surprised they didn't announce a Pokemon game in work to drive the hype

Some NA box art:

_3d_ldcR3G0YQl590uHXZ89Jmouu5aS9.png

4cc8ME3_wWUn4WNbcQ04YMmMpgQqJOUw.png

aRcKLbRChTkJ7FbNIBu3oLiGwJSeaUUT.png

gsOigHCTONwhOcPHcfxwpTx2UaV_m6On.png

fRS6RutrP6S9wkwOk4ZdVIAsCU9dLkAy.png

MQhcEUQFnObuQuxIhb1xLSfnhs9QiBuu.png

Three different versions of Zelda.

NOT $50!!!!

If it was 249, the same people would be saying $199. If it was free, they would be saying youd have to pay me $50 to play it.
You do realize that people live outside your little bubble correct? A $300 USD price is going to be insane for Canada/EU even if it is 'generally' region-free. Also video game prices are $60 at launch and Nintendo doesn't do sales so what did you expect?

People will buy it when the software lineup and price is acceptable to them. Stop jumping up asses about their consumer choice.

Darknight

When PS4 is ~$300, you know you messed up.

Only ones buying this will be die hard nintendo fans. If you really want a gaming box with like 95% of titles out there, it will be a PS4 and I dont mean to sound like Im trolling. Its true.

MissingString

Neo Member
Watch the US presentation tomorrow at 9:30 AM EST. I think you will see more of those kinds of details in it as it will be more consumer focused.

For the record, this was a presentation to a business audience in Japan. I would expect less of a total rehash tomorrow and more fleshed out details. Hopefully I'm not wrong!

I hope you're right. But a press conference for a business audience definitely wasn't the way to go here given how much they hyped the reveal.

Polarbear

Banned
For Wii U owners you're basically spending almost $400 just to play Zelda early and at a better framerate.

There's nothing else happening at launch. It's nuts.

Beats

I'll pass at that price. The eventual online paywall is another strike for me which sucks a lot since most of my playtime with the Wii U was playing online. The insane pricing on the accessories/controllers also doesn't help.

Not too thrilled on the price...but im down for 1 plus zelda. The pro controller will have to wait cuz im not dropping $70 at launch for that UNLESS the standard grip sucks balls.

Def getting this. Will probably sell the xbone to subsidize it since it's going to be upgraded to scorpio later anyways

I'm incredibly conflicted on this thing.

There were a lot of games that excited me, but they aren't coming anytime soon! Zelda is a killer app for sure, but I don't think WiiU owners will be compelled to upgrade to Switch.

So, I have doubts that this thing will sell well. Like I said in the conference thread, I'll get it...when the games are out.

Lo-Volt

Woof, another version of Rayman Legends is filling a launch slot? I know remasters and re-releases are a thing, but sheesh. That game is almost four years old.

So Nintendo has decided that they just want to continue to milk their loyal fanbase until they break. Nice to know. The price is ridiculous, the price onthe controllers is even worse, and paid online for what will be a couple of actual games that people will play on the machine is a fucking joke. Zelda looks great, and Xenoblade 2 looks cool, but seriously, I have never seen a company less concerned about providing value than Nintendo.

GRW810

£279.99 in UK....damn LKD was saying £249.99 with a game :( She was miles off!
I was hoping for £200 as rumoured. I expected £250. This is ridiculous though. UK is already abandoning Nintendo, this won't bring them back. Nintendo are insane for pricing a casual console at that price. It just won't sell.

I'm 100% out. Until Switch hits £200 and the line-up improves I'm going nowhere near it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
When PS4 is ~$300, you know you messed up.

Only ones buying this will be die hard nintendo fans. If you really want a gaming box with like 95% of titles out there, it will be a PS4 and I dont mean to sound like Im trolling. Its true.

I mean, I feel like this is sort of a bad approach? The Switch has other things going for it than just rendering power. The $300 price point might not be justified because of a lackluster lineup, but I don't think that the hardware they're showing off isn't worth $300 nessecarily considering everything it does

im not ready to write it off yet but wow.... did they not at least make a list of stuff that's in the dev pipeline? there's gotta be more, something more

bndadm

That's interesting, thank you. I didn't know there was a "second" conference so to speak either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom