• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.
$300 for a portable and console would seem OK, but Nintendo have to blitz that marketing. Instead of buying a $300 PS 4 console and $200 Vita, you can buy a $300 Switch instead, could be a marketing gimmick. Remember guys this is NOT just a console but a hybrid your buying. I'll wait for more games and them buy close to summer 2017, but count me in as an early adopter.

That strategy only works works for gamers who would buy both a PS4 and Vita. Note that it doesn't work for gamers who already own either a PS4 or Vita. It also doesn't work for gamers who would be interested in only one which btw would be the vast majority of gamers. Finally it doesn't work for gamers who want modern 3rd party games and graphics.

Basically that strategy would target an exceedingly small number of potential buyers.

I was 100% ready to preorder before the conf but the price of accessories, the EXTREMELY anemic launch lineup, and zero info on nintendo accounts system and system power has me much closer to 0% right now.

Most likely I will end up preordering online and cancelling if the launch lineup doesn't improve. I bought my wii u a year after release, played for a year, traded it in and was prett happy. Not sure why I wouldn't do the same here. In 6-12 months more versions of the console will be out that are cheaper, prettier, and come bundled with a game or more.

For that price it should have had Mario Kart packed in, then it would be reasonable.

Maybe they got carried away after the positive early reception...

Etzer

$300 for the console, $60 for Zelda and you'd be crazy not to get all of the wonderful color variations of the Joycons for $80 a set.

Seriously, though, I thought I was fine with a Wii U 2.0 scenario but after this presentation... I don't think I am. That presentation was just bad.

Weak ass hardware, really no games except Zelda, paid online, expensive accessories. I can't justify to pay $430 plus tax just to play Zelda. ($300 for console +70 Pro Controller +$60 Zelda). I'll just play Zelda on WiiU and will buy Switch in few years when it's cheap. I don't even know how can anyone be excited for this, really. Bought every Nintendo console at launch, this one is the first one I say big No to.

daffy

Banned
So the launch lineup looks like the following games based on Nintendo's site:
- 1, 2 Switch
- The Legend of Zelda: BotW
- Just Dance 2017
- Has Been Heroes
- Snipperclips
- Super Bomberman R
- Disgaea 5 Complete
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Rayman Legends
- Steep
- Skylanders: Imaginators
- I Am Setsuna
They played us.

Piggus

I would try to preorder one if I knew when preorders will be available on Amazon. Will probably go up randomly at 3 am or something.

Nintendo is its own thing, comparing them to PS4 or Xbox is pointless. Nintendo is the only place you can play Zelda or Mario. They are the only one of the three that is actually irreplaceable. If PS4 or Xbox disappeared tomorrow you could just buy the other one.

Uh, no. Pretty sure I can't play Uncharted, Last of Us, Gran Turismo, Gravity Rush, Horizon, God of War, Last Guardian, Street Fighter V, new Spider Man, Etc on Xbox.

Instro

Hard to justify buying at launch when the lineup is basically Zelda, and at that price. I mean I'm not planning to play my WiiU anymore, if I can trade everything in to cover the price I might go ahead, but otherwise...yikes.

AzaK

Weak ass hardware, really no games except Zelda, paid online, expensive accessories. I can't justify to pay $430 plus tax just to play Zelda. ($300 for console +70 Pro Controller +$60 Zelda). I'll just play Zelda on WiiU and will buy Switch in few years when it's cheap. I don't even know how can anyone be excited for this, really.

The Bethesda and EA segments basically summed up the console's future as far as a "gamers" console goes. If that conference is anything to go buy I was completely right about everything.

Did I mishear the translation? For $300 are we getting two sets of controllers or just one? Or did they mean "two" as in left and right joystick?

so Nintendo's strategy is to milk their fanboys as much as they can because they'll easily bend over for the latest mario/zelda.

These prices are quite ridiculous, especially those controllers. I'm sure the switch will sell at launch, but the I highly doubt it can maintain the hype for long. Families are not going to spend hundreds for controllers when they can get a ps4/xbox with less money.

Don't forget the questionable battery life and low onboard storage.

zoukka

Bahahaha I knew they would never consider anything below 249. You guys had utopistic expectations and a really short memory on how nintendo prices things.

Malakai

For that price it should have had Mario Kart packed in, then it would be reasonable.

Maybe they got carried away after the positive early reception...

I'm starting to think this is the case considering of the leakers were saying a lot of things were in flux.

Felensis

Banned
Zelda and Mario looked dope. Hmm... even though Mario reminds me of Sonic Adventure. Not sure if this is a good thing...
Other than that? No MK8? What launch games other than Zelda? 299? I'm noping out here.

TrojanAg

Walmart already gone. I hesitated because they wouldn't have it until March 7. Oh well, I'll wait to see what amazon does

Toxi

Banned
I'd be fine with 300 if the online service was free.

I already hate paying for online on one console, and that console has Bloodborne.

SparkTR

I'd love to be wring but this is going to bomb just as hard as the Wii U did. I don't see a market that will be receptive to this at all. Just another expensive stepping stone to Nintendo's mobile future.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I hate to say I told you so, but... ah, who am I kidding? I live for this.

Da-Kid

So the launch lineup looks like the following games based on Nintendo's site:
- 1, 2 Switch
- The Legend of Zelda: BotW
- Just Dance 2017
- Has Been Heroes
- Snipperclips
- Super Bomberman R
- Disgaea 5 Complete
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Rayman Legends
- Steep
- Skylanders: Imaginators
- I Am Setsuna
Also their new IP, ARMS.

That price, no pack in game, paid online and no real support from 3rd parties. Unless Im missing something I cant see this doing well at all. Theres just nothing there for anybody except for a some niche enthusiasts.

Laieon

I just preordered it on walmart (waiting for Amazon to open preorders) and immediately had my order cancelled. Now it's says it's sold out. Yay!

This has flop written all over it, from the expensive price, to the overpriced controllers, pay for online, horrible graphics, and Nintendo going back to the well for the 3rd fucking time for motion controls.

Machina

Banned
so Nintendo's strategy is to milk their fanboys as much as they can because they'll easily bend over for the latest mario/zelda.

These prices are quite ridiculous, especially those controllers. I'm sure the switch will sell at launch, but the I highly doubt it can maintain the hype for long. Families are not going to spend hundreds for controllers when they can get a ps4/xbox with less money.

Don't forget the questionable battery life and low onboard storage.

Exactly. Arrogant Nintendo is in full flight since the Wii. They are beating their heads against a wall trying to tackle that zeitgeist again and 1, 2 Switch is not going to do it.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This has flop written all over it, from the expensive price, to the overpriced controllers, pay for online, horrible graphics, and Nintendo going back to the well for the 3rd fucking time for motion controls.
So you are saying you will be buying 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom