• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duxxy3

Ehhhhh... I'm gonna hold off until next year. $300 is high. Paid online wasn't expected. Launch lineup is on the poor side.

It would just be a Zelda adapter for me.

Rncewind

Nintendo is its own thing, comparing them to PS4 or Xbox is pointless. Nintendo is the only place you can play Zelda or Mario. They are the only one of the three that is actually irreplaceable. If PS4 or Xbox disappeared tomorrow you could just buy the other one.

alright buddy, irreplacable like wiiu

NOT $50!!!!

If it was 249, the same people would be saying $199. If it was free, they would be saying youd have to pay me $50 to play it.
Dude, every dollar counts. I'm sorry that not everyone can be as privileged as someone like you to take $50 more for granted. That extra $50 is several hours of work for some people out there, and it's not quite right for you to be shaming them when they say the price point is out of their budget. Nintendo consoles have never been worth sole ownership since the Gamecube, it's always been a companion console, so it's reasonable to conclude that a lot of people won't be dishing out their hard earned salaries for another console.

BizzyBum

It's funny how $50 can make someone go from "Day Zero" to "Nah, not interested"

I was dieing when they shafted the EU pricing announcement. Classic Nintendo.

I know January 21 is Japan pre-ordering, what about NA?

Certinty

For £200 I was happy to bite with enough decent launch games.

But barely any launch games and £280. I'm out. Will spend my money on something else, not sure what though.

Azzanadra

So something like $400 to $450 in Canada huh? We are fucked, this system on launch will cost as much as the PS4 on launch, and that at least came with The Last of Us!

Damn £280, not a blanket conversion like so many said will happen, this is not the Euro zone.
PS4 US $400 UK £350
PS4 Pro $400 UK £350
XBO US $500 UK £42x
PS3 US $600 UK £42x
3DS US 250 UK £220
GTX 480 US $500 UK £360-400 and so on for a trillion items
That's a sad myth often peddled on forums.

EU is the blanket conversion. XBO EU was 500 euro

Anyway, PS4 has been £200 and still is in many places. Sure its not a handheld nor is it Nintendo but that's still a hefty price.

RibMan

The value of switch for the average casual buyer is very questionable.

Switch can do good at launch because the dedicated Nintendo fans will buy no matter what, but after that it needs a price drop.

Completely agree.

I think $299.99 is too high for what is being offered. The core audience -- the same folks who showed up to the Wii U party -- will show up to the Switch launch party. I think they see enough value in being there day 1 + getting Zelda on launch.

The casual audience is going to be much more hesitant to show up @$299.99. For that price, they can purchase other platforms that have software libraries comprised of all of the current and future third-party games. I think undercutting the competition in pricing would make the device much more attractive to the casual gaming audience.

Def not buying at launch. When Mario drops and if they have a good E3 then maybe next winter. Zelda alone is not enough and the other stuff they showed was either very low key or super far away.

Memento

This thing will die a slow death after the launch hype. All the games they have shown either dont have a release date or is coming later in the year.

Zelda wont be able to keep it afloat from March until the Holidays.

Jorav

$250 would've been better but i have money so $300 aint so bad. Will be interesting how much its here in Aus

Mr Swine

Banned
When PS4 is ~$300, you know you messed up.

Only ones buying this will be die hard nintendo fans. If you really want a gaming box with like 95% of titles out there, it will be a PS4 and I dont mean to sound like Im trolling. Its true.

Apples to oranges man. Do you see people say the same with laptops?

"Oh this is $999 while my desktop costs the same with much better performance"

I'm glad we are getting Wii U performance on a handheld, we could have gotten Vita + for $199

Still I'm buying this day one

It's funny how $50 can make someone go from "Day Zero" to "Nah, not interested"

I was dieing when they shafted the EU pricing announcement. Classic Nintendo.

I know January 21 is Japan pre-ordering, what about NA?
Thats in combanation with bad specs weak launch lineup paid online and inflated controller prices. Its a hell of a lot more than $50

Asd202

This thing will die a slow death after the launch hype. All the games they have shown either dont have a release date or is coming later in the year.

Zelda wont be able to keep it afloat from March until the Holidays.

But you're getting those WiiU ports!

Sinistral

I'll probably go pre-order it tomorrow... or at least try to. If I get shoved down a wait list.... /shrug, meh. So long as I get one by the time Mario comes out.

Price is high, games are low, specs and extra features are largely unknown.

Nintendo is its own thing, comparing them to PS4 or Xbox is pointless. Nintendo is the only place you can play Zelda or Mario. They are the only one of the three that is actually irreplaceable. If PS4 or Xbox disappeared tomorrow you could just buy the other one.
Oh to be a blind Nintendo fanboy.

I don't know how many people Nintendo expects will pay $300 to play Zelda at launch, but I suspect it won't be that many.

We might be looking at another Ambassador Program here, which is fine. I do want to play Zelda eventually but I can wait. The Switch might be $200 by Christmas, especially if the PS4 and Bone are also at that price on Black Friday this year.

- Maybe this is something for the spec sheets and press kits, but I need to hear about storage, Nintendo Network account integration, and whatever is going on with eShop/VC. We are what, seven weeks from launch?

I started to make a thread about it as I haven't seen anyone talk about it, but the site says 32GB replaceable MicroSD storage.

So Nintendo has decided that they just want to continue to milk their loyal fanbase until they break. Nice to know. The price is ridiculous, the price on the controllers is even worse, and paid online for what will be a couple of actual games that people will play on the machine is a fucking joke. Zelda looks great, and Xenoblade 2 looks cool, but seriously, I have never seen a company less concerned about providing value than Nintendo.

This, they've learned absolutely nothing from the Wii U.

I just want to take my keyboard & slam it on the table over & over or something.

yoplay

I'm sorry but, didn't nintendo cease Wii U game production awhile ago? Why the sparse launch lineup? This company will never learn.

AzaK

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! When I was watching the conference, all the graphics looks pretty low end. And they expect me to pay more than a PS4 for that, as well as super expensive accessories? FUCK OFF.

So Nintendo has decided that they just want to continue to milk their loyal fanbase until they break. Nice to know. The price is ridiculous, the price onthe controllers is even worse, and paid online for what will be a couple of actual games that people will play on the machine is a fucking joke. Zelda looks great, and Xenoblade 2 looks cool, but seriously, I have never seen a company less concerned about providing value than Nintendo.

This is how I saw it too - a milking excersise. I guess Nintendo are trying to go for a market that doesn't know better. If they can get those people onto Switch then they might fork out for the accessories etc. But yeah, for someone like me, the price of the console and accessories is just fucking insulting.

£280?

Over £300 if I want to play Zelda at launch? I mean, Zelda looks great and all but nah. Can't justify that to play one game. Will wait for a price cut and hopefully a bigger library by then.

Exactly my thoughts. I want a pro controller aswell so £360 to play Zelda is a joke considering the devices computing power, the battery life and the fact we now have to pay to play online.

I can't get behind this price. The "HD rumble" feature is likely what drove it up, especially considering a pair of Joy Cons will set you back $80 (ouch). It's a shame because I think the thing has some cool games lined up for its first year. I'm debating whether or not I should go through the trouble to pre-order.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, I'm in at launch, but Nintendo did a shit job selling the console tonight. Fully expecting this console to go the way of the 3DS and they'll be dropping this premium pricing shit in a few months when they realize it's tanking their sales.

This shit is to much money for me but my dumb ass will probably still buy it, as of right now i can knock off $120 by selling my wii-u to gamestop which i was planning on doing anyway. I'm one of the reasons Nintendo thinks they can get away with these prices. But what are the launch games? Based on the presentation Zelda and 1 2 switch are the only launch games, unless i missed something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom