• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to bundle Mario Kart DD with Gamecube starting in November.

Syckx

I was looking through the computers at Gamestop before we opened, and noticed a new Gamecube SKU. It looks like we are going to be receiving Double Dash bundles next month and are taking preorders. I'm sorry if this is old -- I performed a search and nothing came up.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Dan said:
But MK: DD's not that good...
eh, regardless of where you feel it stacks up in the MK lineage, it is still better than every other non-MK kart racer out there

Memles

Okay...The ONLY way I approve of this is if it comes bundled with the Mario and Luigi Controllers.

I STILL think they should release Mario Sunshine/Mario Controller and Luigi's Mansion/Luigi Controller for $30 a piece, but doubt it will happen.

Still...everyone loves Mario Kart. And for Christmas, appearing as a good VALUE is more important than the game itself. Because parents buy stuff at Christmas.

Syckx

The problem with the Metroid bundle was that it only had a single shipment and then was discontinued. It really wasn't given a chance at retail. Mario Kart has massive appeal, something Metroid lacks -- I love the series but it's true. The only way Nintendo can fuck this bundle up is release it exclusively in Indigo.

jedimike said:
If Metroid can't help the Cube in a bundle, nothing can.

Metroid is more hardcore. A Mario Kart DD bundle will do much better with the family setting. I mean, it couldn't be doing worse when you factor in it's $70 cheaper right now *sobs*

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
jedimike said:
If Metroid can't help the Cube in a bundle, nothing can.
mario kart has a shit load more appeal than metroid.

especially since we are dealing with a much more recent title.

MK:DD is a lot of fun to boot and a great title for (*cringe*) the whole family.

so who wants to pre-order this package right away?!

***no hands go up.

edit: indigo is THE ONLY color to get your gamecube in ... the others all look fake to me. indigo all day!

Syckx

Don't misunderstand me, I have an Indigo 'Cube, but I have had people refuse the Zelda bundle because it's "purple." The people would then buy the core black Gamecube. Fucking retarded.

Alcibiades

Nintendo should keep shipping the Metroid bundle (though they stopped back in August I think) until whenever this bundle goes into effect (my guess is mid-November like last year with Zelda).

This bundle is a f*cking steal, I may even buy another GCN so I can do LAN.

It's basically like getting a free $50 game...

This bundle is going to do great with parents and teens during Christmas...

cvxfreak

This sounds like a decent step to help MKDD become more popular.

I think Nintendo should just outright drop the price, or make it a real good bundle. Special Color GC + GBP + MKDD + 2nd Controller. Or something.

cvxfreak

Clearly though this move was better than nothing at all. MKDD could increase to 3 Million between stand alone sales and this bundle.

Joe

why are you guys always so quick to believe anything posted here? because you WANT it to be true? this guy has absolutely zero credibility and you believe him? i dont get it.

im not saying its NOT true but i'll believe it when its official or at least START to believe it when more sources are saying the same thing.

Syckx

I have never posted anything incorrect on this, or any forum. Anyone who works at Gamestop can verify this by pushing F3 to enter our inventory lists and typing "99" (reservation SKU) and then typing Nintendo Gamecube into the search function. It's listed right below the Microsoft NCAA/Top Spin bundle. Why are you so quick to assume I am lying?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Joe said:
why are you guys always so quick to believe anything posted here? because you WANT it to be true? this guy has absolutely zero credibility and you believe him? i dont get it.

im not saying its NOT true but i'll believe it when its official or at least START to believe it when more sources are saying the same thing.

well any one of many of the other gamestop employees on the board could verify it in the next 12 hours. I would check but Im off tomorrow.

If someone wanted to lie they could at least fake some halo 2 mag scores so the game could go on for more than a few hours. PRANK'D

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
hey Syckx. have you looked at any DS game skus? what system are they erreneously labeled as?

Mashing

Who cares, honestly.. maybe this causes a 5k spike per month for sales, not much more than that.

Bundle 3 games, MK:DD, SSB:M and Metroid Prime and include RE4 and Mature Zelda demos.

That'll fucking fly off shelves.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Syckx said:
hey Syckx. have you looked at any DS game skus? what system are they erreneously labeled as?

Lynx

there is your answer. anybody not working at gamestop who knows this spends far too much time on the internet. this is as good as confirmed to doubters, but hey you can wait around 12 hours and see if you want.

I wish they'd push the multiplayer aspect more. Cube + game for $99: alright. Cube + multiplayer game + 3 extra controllers for $149 would attract another group. Also cut down on profits from controller sales, but hey. The "cheap" card hasn't always worked for them this generation, so might as well try the "same price but with a lot more included" card.

thomaser

I don't know about the US, but here in Europe, new MK:DD-bundles are coming pretty soon. They come in three colours - black, indigo and platinum, but don't have anything extra. It's just the system, one controller and MK:DD. The price is very good, though... the in-price for retailers is almost as low as the price for the barebones-system.

They're supposed to phase out all the other bundles this Christmas, including system-only. So if you want to buy a GC here, it's with MK:DD.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
The bundles just aren't working. MKDD will do more for the GCN than MP but it still won't be enough. They need to drop to $79 and bundle a game for the holidays. Even better...if they really wanted to be competitive they would play to their strengths and bundle the GBASP with the Gamecube for like $129. If they advertise it heavily and say that its available for only a limited time it would fly off shelves.

Memles

JoshuaJSlone said:
I wish they'd push the multiplayer aspect more. Cube + game for $99: alright. Cube + multiplayer game + 3 extra controllers for $149 would attract another group. Also cut down on profits from controller sales, but hey. The "cheap" card hasn't always worked for them this generation, so might as well try the "same price but with a lot more included" card.

Mario Bros. Bundle
- Luigi's Mansion
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Mario Themed Controller
- Luigi Themed Controller
- Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
- Platinum GameCube
- $130.

Meier

JC10001 said:
if they really wanted to be competitive they would play to their strengths and bundle the GBASP with the Gamecube for like $129.

People need to realize that Nintendo is not going to throw away money at this point on the GameCube since really, what's the point? Their software sales are strong and they're still managing to sell over 100k per month. Not great, but certainly sufficient for survival. If they did a bundle like the SP + GCN, it'd likely be for $150 at the absolute minimum.

jarrod

Banned
They should do a GC+GBA (old model) bundle to clear out stock... they could probably even do it at $99. Maybe throw in a link cable and Puzzle Collection to sweeten the deal.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
agreed.... at this point as long as sales don't atrophy beyond the generation cycle (which they aren't) Nintendo will keep doing business as usual. Don't expect Nintendo to try to gain any more momentum this gen.

And for better or worse, I really don't think things will change next gen either (their methodology that is). I mean it hasn't changed for like 20 years.. They will release the system they release, it will place where it places (likely last place) and as long as they make money they will be happy.

And those who love Nintendo games will keep supporting this model.

Take it as you will.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Meier said:
People need to realize that Nintendo is not going to throw away money at this point on the GameCube since really, what's the point? Their software sales are strong and they're still managing to sell over 100k per month. Not great, but certainly sufficient for survival. If they did a bundle like the SP + GCN, it'd likely be for $150 at the absolute minimum.

And Nintendo needs to realize that they can't let this shit (underperforming) stand. The point would be to remain competitive. Their software sales are not as strong anymore (with the exception of Pokemon). The last game that they released that actually sold well (that isn't Pokemon) was MKDD and even that sold much less than MK64. 100k per month in the US is not enough...it just isn't. They are surviving but they are hanging by a thread. At $150 the bundle wouldn't sell that well. It would only offer a $30 savings to the consumer. Most of the people who are buying this bundle would be parents who were initially going to shell out $79 for a GBASP and thats it. These people would probably be willing to shell out another $50 for a Gamecube but not anything more than that.

And yeah NOA... where the hell is Puzzle Collection?

Meier

jarrod said:
They should do a GC+GBA (old model) bundle to clear out stock... they could probably even do it at $99. Maybe throw in a link cable and Puzzle Collection to sweeten the deal.

This would probably not be a terrible idea for clearing out inventory although I think Mario Kart: DD would have more appeal than an old, antiquated GBA. I realize the vanilla GBA still sells to lower income brackets, but if you're spending the money on a GameCube, you can probably afford to buy an SP as well or instead and that would have more draw.

Subitai

NCAA 2005, Top Spin, and XBL vs MK: DD.

Hmm, maybe MS should have asked Universal for Nitro Kart to bundle instead of plugging Top Spin. MK is just a sales monster. This is probably the best bundle GCN's gonna get short of adding SSBM or more games to it.

NCAA 2005 has to stay. I think MS shoved everything except Halo 2 and Blinx 2 into next year because of the way EA killed its 1st party stuff last year. Can't beat em, join em. MS wants to send the message that PS2 isn't the only system for EA/EA Sports.

Meier

JC10001 said:
And Nintendo needs to realize that they can't let this shit (underperforming) stand. The point would be to remain competitive. Their software sales are not strong anymore.

Totally inaccurate. If there is one thing that Nintendo has strong sales of, its catalog titles that still do 15-20k per month for literally years. You dont need to have first month sales be massive to still be having strong software sales as a whole.

As much as Nintendo fans want it to change, it's simply not going to. Nintendo will remain on auto-pilot for the rest of this gen with the GameCube with profits the sole factor in decision-making and price points. Just the way it is.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Meier said:
Totally inaccurate. If there is one thing that Nintendo has strong sales of, its catalog titles that still do 15-20k per month for literally years. You dont need to have first month sales be massive to still be having strong software sales as a whole.

Inaccurate? So the Gamecube isn't underperforming? Their software sales are as stong as the N64 days?

Top Bottom