• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo World Championships Qualifier Details - NES Remix Championship Mode

JoeM86

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nintendo has chosen eight Best Buy locations across the country to host qualifying events on May 30 for the upcoming Nintendo World Championships 2015. Nintendo invites video game fans of all skill levels who are United States residents ages 13 and up to take part in the qualifying events for a chance to compete in the Nintendo World Championships 2015 on June 14 in Los Angeles during the week of the E3 video game trade show.

The qualifying competition will feature the Championship mode of the Ultimate NES Remix game for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. In this mode, players will take on a series of three score-based challenges in Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3 and Dr. Mario. Games and systems will be provided at each location, although Ultimate NES Remix is available now in stores and in the Nintendo eShop for anyone who wants to start practicing for the competition. The top scorer from each of the eight regional competitions will move on to the final event in Los Angeles, which will be a multi-round competition with a variety of Nintendo games. An additional eight competitors selected by Nintendo will also compete in the Nintendo World Championships 2015. Nintendo will reveal these competitors in the near future.

The qualifying events will take place from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time at Best Buy stores at the following locations:

1717 Harrison St.
San Francisco, CA

3675 Pacific Coast Highway
Torrance, CA

10760 NW 17th St.
Miami, FL

900 E. Golf Road
Schaumburg, IL

12905 Elm Creek Blvd. N
Maple Grove, MN

5001 Northern Blvd.
Long Island City, NY

9378 N. Central Expressway
Dallas, TX

2214 S. 48th St.
Tacoma, WA
http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ews-8-Buy-Locations-Set-Nintendo#.VVsnbpBwb4Z
Sorry if old

BY2K

Membero Americo
SMB, SMB3 and Dr. Mario? Really?

I hope the games at the finals are gonna be more varied.

JoeM86

Because it was so sudden, they couldn't really do it well and so the qualifiers are isolated. They should have taken a page from the Pokémon Video Game Championships. Regionals & National competitions throughout the year, culminating in the World Championships

Jintor

Because it was so sudden, they couldn't really do it well. They should have taken a page from the Pokémon Video Game Championships. Regionals & National competitions throughout the year, culminating in the World Championships

Yah I was thinking this when they announced it. I mean it clearly wasn't going to be a year already but the logistics seemed pretty rushed with only a month or so to E3.

Oh well, it's a hype event and everybody knows it, so whatevs.

I wonder who the Eight Reserved Competitors will be. The Elite Eight or whatever.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This seems quite odd and limiting. Three VC games on 3ds and only 8 shops? Strange. More like 3ds USA Best Buy* Championship of Very Old Games.

*restricted to several shops

Edit: or Nintendo World Championship of Anti-Climax. Hopefully there is more to it than this.

Is there an Nintendo thread where you don't come in to find something to bitch about?

He's Cheesemeister, the only thing he really bitches about is Nintendo consoles and hendhelds being region locked.

It is named for nostalgia not for truthfulness. That's what it was called in the 90s.

Also quit taking a Nintendo tournament so seriously.

Yeah, because that's what I do, taking a tournament seriously...

kirby_fox

Banned
Illinois only place even remotely close by and still prob a good ten hour drive. Anyone here gonna try? Might as well have someone to root for.

Brofield

Why the heck are people getting so salty over the "World" part of the title.

Well, me personally it stems from being in Canada and getting excluded from cool shit AGAIN in the US.

Maybe I wanted to go on and win the Championship and enjoy my 15 seconds of fame before people forget my name after Super Mario Galaxy 3 is announced.

NotLiquid

Complaining about the "World" Championship part being used despite of the US location feels so disingenuous knowing that sports do this all the time.

Robin64

Complaining about the "World" Championship part being used despite of the US location feels so disingenuous knowing that sports do this all the time.

Only US sports. ;)

But yeah, not really a big deal. The name is more to give a nostalgic feeling rather than an accurate one.

They aren't, they just want another excuse to shit on Nintendo

Or maybe they're from anywhere that's not the US and would've been glad if they could participate in this so called World Championship.

I'm not salty or anything. It's just a missed opportunity for a potential championship of epic proportions.

mclem

To be fair, I complain about that, too. Although I have become pretty desensitised to it these days, anyway. This is a reasonable example: I can't help but feel it'd be *wrong* to call it anything other than the NWC. The problem with the name is really rooted in twenty-five years ago, not now.

thefro

I would guess some of the people who get automatic invites will be international players.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

No, sports don't do this all the time. The majority of sports is using World Championship in the correct way (most of the Olympic sports have actually also World Cups or World Championships where the participants are representing more than one country). There are 2 or 3 sports that use World as an over the top, bombastic title for the national competition.

SerTapTap

"world" is meaningless for something like this anyway unless it's entirely online. Even in the US you'd need to book a plane to attend this depending on where you live. Throwing a location in Japan and the UK wouldn't make it any more accessible to the vast majority of the populace. Don't know why people are allegedly upset.

Pila

Too bad we don't have this thing in Europe. Rooting for the eventual gaffer participant. ^^

NotLiquid

To be fair, I complain about that, too. Although I have become pretty desensitised to it these days, anyway.

I mean yeah I generally agree that its kind of dumb to label it such

But I never actually took umbrage to the idea of titling them in this matter. Its like, no one really cared about the way it was named in multiple contexts before this. In this case its mostly the "world of Nintendo" which extends to people and games alike.

Don't see much reason to change that. Plus, its taking place right before E3 so many people will probably be traveling to the US during that time as well who might join to watch the spectacle alone.

Robin64

"world" is meaningless for something like this anyway unless it's entirely online. Even in the US you'd need to book a plane to attend this depending on where you live. Throwing a location in Japan and the UK wouldn't make it any more accessible to the vast majority of the populace. Don't know why people are allegedly upset.

To be fair, this is exactly how the Pokemon World Championships work.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I just want them to reveal a brand new Super Mario Universe game at the end of the Championship, as the last game of the competition itself :p

JoeM86

To be fair, this is exactly how the Pokemon World Championships work.

Pokémon World Championships have it right

Craptonne of Premier Challenges,in many towns across the world. Small points for those.

Regionals in some places to get decent points. Europe just started having Regionals this year but the US has three sets of regionals: Autumn, Winter, Spring

Nationals - This is the main thing as it usually decides who qualifies for Worlds, but the abundance of Premier Challenges and Regionals means the more skilled trainers can sort their invite long before then, though the free trip would still be to play for. Germany just had their Nationals, UK has them next week, Italy and Australia next month and the US in July.

Worlds is the meat and is amazing. I want to go to a Pokémon World Championship but can't get the time off to be on a flight for so long.

TheMoon

SMB, SMB3 and Dr. Mario? Really?

I hope the games at the finals are gonna be more varied.

Well yea, they say so right there in the next sentence:

The top scorer from each of the eight regional competitions will move on to the final event in Los Angeles, which will be a multi-round competition with a variety of Nintendo games.

Obviously the Best Buy thing is kept simple with Ultimate NES Remix doing the job perfectly.

This seems quite odd and limiting. Three VC games on 3ds and only 8 shops? Strange. More like 3ds USA Best Buy* Championship of Very Old Games.

Not VC games, they're literally playing Ultimate NES Remix.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Not even that. The original toured 29 cities.

This is a tiny competition that uses older games than I thought they would. Pretty disappointing.

I thought it was assumed that the nes remix championship mode would used. Cool that they'll do something more varied for the final.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah, the fact that it's called World Championship it's not the main issue here. The fact that it uses 3 old games in 8 stores is more disappointing. But it will be perfect for the VC guys in the Nintendo Downloads threads. Have fun!

Not VC games, they're literally playing Ultimate NES Remix.

I know. If you want to be pedantic, they are not VC games. .

Robin64

Yeah, the fact that it's called World Championship it's not the issue here. The fact that uses 3 old games in 8 stores is more disappointing. But it will be perfect for the VC guys in the Nintendo Downloads threads. Have fun!

Well it's a specific mode in NES Remix, rather than just 3 VC games. You even earn a NWC Miiverse stamp in that mode.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well it's a specific mode in NES Remix, rather than just 3 VC games. You even earn a NWC Miiverse stamp in that mode.

Fine. 3 old remixed games. Doesn't make it more entertaining for me. Doesn't really set me up in the E3 mood.

this is just PR

NOA really had nothing this year, I would guess all the Best Buy deals got them just 8 locations

this does not really matter
a super rushed job Splatoon Championship would be more fun to watch

Escalario

Banned
Fine. 3 old remixed games. Doesn't make it more entertaining for me. Doesn't really set me up in the E3 mood.

So you didn't read the OP eh?
The top scorer from each of the eight regional competitions will move on to the final event in Los Angeles, which will be a multi-round competition with a variety of Nintendo games

Realistically this small handful of locations covers over a quarter of the U.S. Population, given some people are willing to drive a few hours. Not too shabby IMO.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So you didn't read the OP eh?

I read the OP. For now just the qualification are announced in details, so I'm talking about these. When more details about the actual competition are released, I will talk about those. So, let's wait for the full list of the game there, before commenting, ok? Or maybe you already know the list?

Plus, you take people that are good at some games and then they play other games in the actual championship?

a super rushed job Splatoon Championship would be more fun to watch

Pretty much. Or if you want to make it a combination of three, take 200 cc MK8, SSB 3ds and Splatoon.

Top Bottom