• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo World Championships Qualifier Details - NES Remix Championship Mode

I live 20 mins away from the Miami location.
It's the one I usually pick up my games anyways lol
Will be going even though I've never played a NES remix title before.

I find it equally hilarious and odd that the 8 national finalists will be decided by who's better at setting up massive Dr Mario combo chains.

I understand using the NES Remix 2 mode for simplicity and to plug some semi-recent software available on both platforms, but it is rather bizarre. Dr. Mario is lately nothing more than a Nintendo also ran.

The actual championships will surely feature a wider variety of more modern games and I'm looking forward to seeing how much they've put in to blowing it out with bombastic flare, but I know Im no where near the best Dr Mario player in NYC and have zero chance of winning

Speedrunners are gonna dominate this competition. Learn and use speedrun strats and you're gonna win.

nope. learn to set up large dr mario virus clear combos in a short time and youll win. the x100 multiplier on the three section means it all hinges on Dr mario. Yes, you want to give yourself the most time possible going in to that section, but its points based

Not surprised NES Remix is used. In fact, that was my first guess.

I am upset that only eight locations are used as qualifiers.

Then again, this isn't the first time it was like this

They do realize that the games were modern during the NWC, right? Using old games some people have spent their lives obsessing over as qualifiers is rather unfair.

Oh well, not in my state anyway. Nintendo of America's love affair with spreading things out across a tiny number of Best Buy stores continues.

They do realize that the games were modern during the NWC, right? Using old games some people have spent their lives obsessing over as qualifiers is rather unfair.

Oh well, not in my state anyway. Nintendo of America's love affair with spreading things out across a tiny number of Best Buy stores continues.

Did anyone really think it would replicate the Nintendo World Championships way back then???

This is just Nintendo piggybacking on the hype the Smash Brothers tournament generated.

They probably put together the idea in 5 minutes.

I thought they'd have a Splatoon tournament this time around.

Either way, just like the Smash tourney, this is the least thing I am looking forward to at E3 from Nintendo.

It's just all nice fluff for me before the Digital Event and then Treehouse.

Like usual, Minnesota gets fucked. We never get anything ni-

Wait, what do you mean we didn't get boned for once!? What the hell? That's not how it's supposed to work Nintendo. We aren't supposed to actually have a location for once.

Hm.. This is a huge let down. It's a marketing stunt for a smalltime release.

I thought it was going to be the next videogame olympics.

Hm.. This is a huge let down. It's a marketing stunt for a smalltime release.

I thought it was going to be the next videogame olympics.

Reggie-3.jpg

Penguin

I don't get what's so wrong with using Ultimate NES Remix

It's something everyone has access to right now, it's a mixture of games... granted wish wasn't all Mario.And custom-built for this high-score type competition.

Also, it's not being streamed or anything so the real treat will be e3... now if this is what they did on e3....

Kumubou

NintendoLife are claiming that Mike Iarossi - winner of Powerfest '94 - is one of them.
Wow, that's a name I haven't heard in years, goddamn. I remember trading Super Punch-Out and F-Zero X times with him by mail way back when. (And at this moment, I realize how old I am, yikes.) F-Zero X was such a body montage. ;_;

Man, I remember wasting way too many weekends during the summer of 94 when they ran Powerfest, trying to qualify. Thinking back at it, I'm shocked my parents even let me do that; I don't think I would have put up with that much if I had kids. x_x

For people complaining about the format: it's always been like that. Both the NWC in 1990 and Powerfest in 1994 (and there was a Japanese event in 1992 that was similar, except it was using Super Mario World -> F-Zero -> Pilotwings). A time attack through the first two games to get as much time as possible to score attack the third.

It would be crazy if they end the event by demoing a brand new game (which they did at both events previously...).

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Torrance is about an hour away from me, so maybe I'll go. Not that I'll get very far, though, since I'm pretty terrible at Dr. Mario...

adroit

I'll be going to the one in Denver!

NO I WONT WILL I

I did some Google mapping and the closest one to the Denver area is Dallas. Maple Grove and Schaumburg were second and third. Thank goodness I suck at video games so I don't have to worry about going.

Closest one is in IL, but still over 4 hours away. Maybe go and check out Chicago as well, but still 4 hours away is a bit much. Good luck to all the Gaffers competing!

Hobbun

I actually only live about 20 minutes, maybe a half hour, from the Schaumburg location. However, I doubt I will play. Maybe I will stop in just to take a look.

So I got my hands on Ultimate NES Remix.

Since I can't make threads yet, is anyone willing to discuss strategies to maximizing their scores?

From what I've gathered so far, it ALL hinges on how good you are at Dr. Mario.

How do I get good at that game?

RagnarokX

I wonder what the games at the finals will be. It would be so badass if they revealed a new game as the final round like The Wizard.

E-phonk

Banned
You realize this would be insanely more costly, especially if Nintendo is expected to pay travel costs for participants

Doing it worldwide would cost them about as much as a normal PR campaign for a new game with tv ads would cost them - and it's something they could get press/blog/viral press with for many months.

They did something similar in europe in the early 90's btw - I don't know what it was called but I know that by playing at a local game store I got a ticket to play in Brussels. I think it was 1991 since the SNES wasn't out yet but they had it on display there.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I still can't see how you would expect that people qualifying because they're good at Dr. Mario will be asked to play some totally different games in the final.

Oh, you're good at Dr. Mario? Play W101.

I was pretty good on the WiiU remix, topped out at around 1.7 million and took first place one day.

Stopped playing though because it refreshed everyday and there was no persistent leaderboard.

mclem

It would be crazy if they end the event by demoing a brand new game (which they did at both events previously...).

I would genuinely be surprised if they didn't.

If not actually brand new, I think "single-player component of Mario Maker" might well fit the bill, we haven't really seen that yet. They're not going to ship it without some sample levels!

From what I've gathered so far, it ALL hinges on how good you are at Dr. Mario.

Well, for one thing, your performance in the first two stages will dictate how long you have, and that's not insignificant. There's more points available in later levels.

Well, for one thing, your performance in the first two stages will dictate how long you have, and that's not insignificant. There's more points available in later levels.

True.

On another note, the hype seems to have completely died down.

Neiteio

Was looking forward to watching the championships (they'll be streamed, right?), but my stupid hipster friends are dragging me to a museum that Sunday

For those participating in the qualifying events tomorrow, how early are you planning on going? The E3 site mentions that it will be open to the first 750 attendees, so I can't imagine you would have to get there that early.

Also, seems like there will be some GAF competitors with me at the MN location, good luck to everyone competing!

Beartruck

For those participating in the qualifying events tomorrow, how early are you planning on going? The E3 site mentions that it will be open to the first 750 attendees, so I can't imagine you would have to get there that early.

Also, seems like there will be some GAF competitors with me at the MN location, good luck to everyone competing!

I'd say early. My local best buy has it in their general Sunday ad, so a lot of people know about it.

Top Bottom