• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo World Championships Qualifier Details - NES Remix Championship Mode

Fox Mulder

Realistically this small handful of locations covers over a quarter of the U.S. Population, given some people are willing to drive a few hours. Not too shabby IMO.

The east coast gets to decide if they want to drive to Miami or NY. Lol.

8 locations is pathetic. I figured it would be at a ton more best buys, since it's a pretty simple event to setup compared to a CoD or Smash tourney or whatever. But I forgot NoA is cheap and lazy.

Jintor

I read the OP. For now just the qualification are announced in details, so I'm talking about these. When more details about the actual competition are released, I will talk about those. So, let's wait for the full list of the game there, before commenting, ok? Or maybe you already know the list?

oh no, the overcrowded qualifiers for the main hype event don't get you hype, how strange

?oe?oe

An additional eight competitors selected by Nintendo will also compete in the Nintendo World Championships 2015. Nintendo will reveal these competitors in the near future.

So, Reggie is 1. That's means 7 more pre-selected.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
oh no, the overcrowded qualifiers for the main hype event don't get you hype, how strange

Are you hyped? Again, you have players good at something that qualify into a competition and then what? They play totally different games? Maybe they suck for those.

And I saw your edit. :p

TheMoon

Fine. 3 old remixed games. Doesn't make it more entertaining for me. Doesn't really set me up in the E3 mood.

Well the important bit is the NWC main event at E3 itself. This is just a quick and easy way to find some competitors without turning this into a gigantic undertaking.

NotLiquid

Obviously the qualifiers won't be interesting to watch, and we're not really going to get a view of them either. NES Remix lent itself perfectly for NWC to start the buildup, but the main event will probably have a bunch of games.

Isn't it going to be held in the Nokia Theater? After the intensity of Smash Bros last year I doubt that they're just going to settle for a few NES rom hacks.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well the important bit is the NWC main event at E3 itself. This is just a quick and easy way to find some competitors without turning this into a gigantic undertaking.

I understand that. I guess I'm to blame for overhyping this to myself. I thought that this will be a bigger thing, having a dedicated day before E3 and such.

I will stop now, as I'm obviously upsetting people and I don't want that.

Piccoro

Isn't the Championship Mode in NES Remix 2 (Wii U) exactly the same (the same 3 games)? I can't remember right now.

NotLiquid

I understand that. I guess I'm to blame for overhyping this to myself. I thought that this will be a bigger thing, having a dedicated day before E3 and such.

I will stop now, as I'm obviously upsetting people and I don't want that.

It's probably still going to be fairly big. Don't think they'd get that big venue if it wasn't. I guess they just didn't want to overspend on the Best Buy qualifiers which is kind of stupid. Or maybe Best Buy already felt that Mario Maker was enough.

Petrae

What a poor effort. Eight locations is a joke. Especially considering what the qualifying method is, there's no excuse to have so few locations... Nintendo is being cheap, lazy, or both.

As pointed out earlier in the thread, PowerFest '90 had far more locations and required much more in the way of setup and expense. Hell, even the Super Star Fox Weekend had a ton of qualifying spots; all it took was sending special carts to the locations.

Tybolt

Banned
Nintendo always does this with the extremely limited store selection, I don't know why anyone's surprised. This is also the same Nintendo that only had, what, the entire country's supply of four copies of the Hyrule Warios Limited Edition at one Ninty World store?

I was out when Dr. Mario got involved, anyway.

StAidan

I don't mind the game choices really, but Tacoma and San Francisco are the closest events to me and they're both a 10-hour drive. I'd probably be crazy enough to make a road trip out of it if I were single, but I just don't see it happening as it stands now.

Too bad, really. I never made it to the 1990 competition either, I would've liked to participate this time.

How many of the finalist places are invited?

The Championship mode in NES remix 2 was a no brainier due to it being a tribute to the even the event (in game play structure). Would have been a cool opportunity to see some of the other competition carts put up on the virtual console so they could be used too (for a very nominal price consider they tend to be 3 minutes of gameplay so not too different to Amiibo tap). You know things like the Nintendo Campus challenge (NES one has a Rare game in it and too similar to championship mode but the SNES one is cool; SMW, F-Zero and Pilotwings), Star Fox (lol Super FX) and that DKC blockbuster one.

Since half of the thread is this dead horse anyway:
You are looking it as Nintendo+"world championships" and complaining about how small its world is.
Instead look at it as "Nintendo World"+championships. When you consider the 80s displays had the phrase world of Nintendo the connection becomes clearer.

8 locations?
25 years later, 19 less locations.

E-phonk

Banned
If this is succesful, I hope they do it properly next year.

- First separate JAPAN/EU/US championships (regions with a significant video game market)
- To participate you have to do download championship software on 3DS/WiiU that can only be started in championship mode 3 times and is linked to you NNID.
- Top 64 players get a key to compete in the regional semi-finals (one for each region)
- Eight finalists from each region, with the finals at E3 where 32 players compete (3 x 8 + 8 selected by nintendo).

If done right it would even increase the hype factor.

Peltz

How could they use a Long Island City location instead of Manhattan? Who honestly thinks that makes sense?

Heck, I'm originally from LI and I still think that's a bad location.

Also, crap... I'm really good at Mario games, but I'm terrible at Dr. Mario. I doubt I'll qualify :-/

Gameboy415

I live ~20 minutes away from the Schaumburg store but I went there for Nintendo's E3 event back in 2013 and the line to play the demos was over 2 hours long.
I have a feeling this will be considerably crazier so I'm not sure I want to deal with the crowds.

- First separate JAPAN/EU/US championships (regions with a significant video game market)
- To participate you have to do download championship software on 3DS/WiiU that can only be started in championship mode 3 times and is linked to you NNID.
- Top 64 players get a key to compete in the regional semi-finals (one for each region)
- Eight finalists from each region, with the finals at E3 where 32 players compete (3 x 8 + 8 selected by nintendo).

You forgot hackers. Online eliminations work when people are not expected to cheat, E3 plane tickets would be too much of a bait.

This sort of thing won't be fair unless Nintendo spends loads and loads of money on it, the amount that is honestly overkill.

E-phonk

Banned
You forgot hackers. Online eliminations work when people are not expected to cheat, E3 plane tickets would be too much of a bait.

This sort of thing won't be fair unless Nintendo spends loads and loads of money on it, the amount that is honestly overkill.
- If they can send safe financial transactions, and let people order DLC, I'm sure they can safely send a secure high score. They just have to encrypt everything that goes into memory etc
- They can only start the software 3 times, and it's linked to an existing NNID. This should help them to eliminate hackers.

Even so:
- Hackers would only be able to get into the regional finals, there they would still have to compete
- Since WiiU isn't hacked yet - afaik that platform is still totally safe at the moment. There is a potential risk in 3DS though since hackers can read memory dumps from it, but encryption/hashing would prevent that.

AdanVC

So underwhelming. Only 8 locations across one country? Tanner, pls. Oh well, this was expected. Organizing something like this so it can be truly a World Championships would take months and months of properly searching for qualifiers across the globe. It could have been amazing that way and the finals at the Nokia Theatre would have been insanely exciting to watch.

mclem

This is a tiny competition that uses older games than I thought they would. Pretty disappointing.

I would have been somewhat surprised if they hadn't used NES Remix's VGC mode at some point in the vetting process. It lends itself naturally to it.

Hatchtag

Banned
Closest location is 3 hours away, and its an all day thing. I'll probably pass, even if I do happen to have that day off.

Tripon

Should have made it a straight invitational. I live fairly close to the Torrance location, but 8 Best Buys for the entire U.S.?

yeeeeeeash.

Thinking about it, they really couldn't do many more locations given that they're limited in how many people they can actually bring to e3. 16 (with 8 being prechosen) is probably as much as Nintendo was willing to bring. As cool as it woud've been to have more locations, it'd also be super impractical

You realize this would be insanely more costly, especially if Nintendo is expected to pay travel costs for participants

Kriken

huh, thought there would be more locations than this, not like 50 or so, but closer to the number for the one 25 years ago. I mean, there were plenty of Best Buy locations for the demo, why not trim that in half or so?

Either way, GL to those participating

qko

Isn't E3 normally a US-centric Video Grame Trade show anyway? Have a World Championship: European Edition at Gamescom done by NoE.

Sounds like this was a NoA decision and not an NCL decision.

Jhoan

I find it baffling that Nintendo has been hosting E3 related demos/events at the Best Buy in Long Island City for the past three years. It would have made a lot more sense to have held it at the Best Buy in Union Square.

On the plus side, LIC on the first stops on the 7 train but it's still annoying for people who don't live near the said line/in the city. I'll be rooting for some fellow NYC GAF members to make it to the finals.

huh, thought there would be more locations than this, not like 50 or so, but closer to the number for the one 25 years ago. I mean, there were plenty of Best Buy locations for the demo, why not trim that in half or so?

Either way, GL to those participating
Because they need to take a winner from each location to e3, plus 8 more people they're choosing seperately

Top Bottom