• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's arrogance shines through...

Developer: "Why in the hell would I want to develop for Revolution when I can make my game for Microsoft's or Sony's console?"

Nintendo rep: "Because we're Nintendo."

credit to reirom from OA who stole it from IGN.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
IGN mailbag. According to Matt, a developer told him he had such a conversation with a Nintendo rep.

Take, for instance, a conversation a development head at a huge third-party studio relayed to me. His company was allegedly approached by a Nintendo rep and asked to begin developing something for Revolution. Here's how the conversation went, according to him:

Developer: "Why in the hell would I want to develop for Revolution when I can make my game for Microsoft's or Sony's console?"

Nintendo rep: "Because we're Nintendo."

End of conversation. I seriously hope this was an isolated incident and not a reflection of Nintendo's third-party outreach for Revolution.

http://cube.ign.com/mail.html

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Developer: "Why in the hell would I want to develop for Xenon when I can make my game for Nintendo or Sony's console?"

Microsoft rep: "Because we're Microsoft."

Developer: "Why in the hell would I want to develop for PS3 when I can make my game for Microsoft or Nintendo's console?"

Sony rep: "Because we're Sony."

etc.etc.etc.

Oh! and credit to me for doing these interviews....

MaddenNFL64

The Nintendo rep who said that is obviously an ass, but WTF is wrong with that developer? No fucking class with the "Why the hell" comment.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
MaddenNFL64 said:
The Nintendo rep who said that is obviously an ass, but WTF is wrong with that developer? No fucking class with the "Why the hell" comment.

Yup. If anyone talked to me like that I'd tell them to go fuck themselves.

Society said:
But really, why would they develop for Nintendo over sony/MS?
Because things always change from generation to generation. As a developer, you need to hedge your bets and spread things around in the beginning, because you have no idea what's going to happen.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
fenekku-gitsune said:
I'm sure Matt sexed it up a bit.

Perhaps, but then it only makes Nintendo look like the classy one in retrospect. (Really, how else would you reply to a smirky ass comment?)

Kon Tiki

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
Because things always change from generation to generation. As a developer, you need to hedge your bets and spread things around in the beginning, because you have no idea what's going to happen.

Things will change, but it wont be in Nintendo favour.

RevenantKioku said:
Perhaps, but then it only makes Nintendo look like the classy one in retrospect. (Really, how else would you reply to a smirky ass comment?)

Neither look classy, one looks like an ass for even asking a question like that, the other looks like one for thinking they're still high and mighty.

If this is real it only proves what I think is going to happen next gen.

Developers will stereotype the console companies yet again and the prophecy will be self fullfilled.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
SolidSnakex said:
Neither look classy, one looks like an ass for even asking a question like that, the other looks like one for thinking they're still high and mighty.

Eh, I still think its one of the better responses they could have give.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Claus said:
So one rep who can't explain himself makes the entire company of Nintendo arrogant?

Its not a case of that at all tho.

He asked the developer for his side of the story.

He said, she said.

DSN2K

more like....

Developer: "Why in the hell would I want to develop for Xenon when I can make my game for Nintendo or Sony's console?"

Microsoft rep: "how many zero's"

Developer: "Why in the hell would I want to develop for PS3 when I can make my game for Microsoft or Nintendo's console?"

Sony rep: "Because we're the leader of the market, yeah the PS3 is going to be real pain for developers but thats not are problem is it! haha you want a PSP dev kit with that ?."

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Actually, I'm pretty sure from the context of the preceding comments by Matt from IGN, that he was just creating an example of the close-mindedness and secrecy of Nintendo, not citing an actual interview. Though I could be wrong.

Drensch

There's very few developers(especially American ones) who can get away with
"Why in the hell would I want to develop for Revolution when I can make my game for Microsoft's or Sony's console?"

I personally can't think of one, but who the hell do they think they are?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive

Nintendo rep: "My cat's name is Mittens."

it's no less relevant than "because we're nintendo!"

nintendo needs new reps. with a pitch like that, you're only going to get trivial vanity projects from miyamoto-besotted developers like kojima and naka. which i guess makes for lovely press conferences and mutually appreciative soundbytes. doesn't really fill out the library. but hey.

RevenantKioku said:
(Really, how else would you reply to a smirky ass comment?)

You know, if I was the Nintendo rep, I think I would have said the same thing. Maybe not the best reply, but during the heat of the moment...

I still say this whole conversation was either made up or exaggerated.

Hellraizah

Nintendo rep: "Because nobody else will be doing it, leaving the market wide open for Nintendo and....huh..... third...... parties."
Fixed.

JayFro

Banned
The bottom line is that if Nintendo wants devs to makes games for *Revolution* they need to kiss some serious ass. Look how 3rd party games sell on the cube overall, who would want to make games for Revolution when Nintendo is in decline in the console wars.

lordmrw

Chesapeake Silt said:
If you imagine the Nintendo rep as Reggie, the comedy value of this exchange goes through the roof.

I imagine Reggie hulking out and chucking a few tables and chairs and whatnot. Sort of like the Ultimate Warrior when the Macho Man wanted a title shot.

ge-man

If that quote is verbatim, I probably would've told that developer to go shove a PS2 up his ass if I was in the Nintendo rep's position. But since this is hersey to begin with, the quote proves nothing about either person's or company's attitude. Matt should be ashamed of himself for trying to support his stance with such filmsy evidence.

JayFro

Banned
jarrod said:
You mean on par with the XBox versions (besides sports games) and better if they're Japanese?

When I said 3rd party I meant sports as well. Nice try though. Xbox and Gamecube don't really have many of the same titles to even compare sales numbers with in the first place. How did Splinter Cell sell on the Cube?

Insertia

Call it ignorance or arrogance. It seems to believe that third-parties should feel privileged to develop for its consoles as opposed to Sony and Microsoft, who offer third-parties incentive and support. And that, to me, is the scariest part of it.

jarrod said:
You mean on par with the XBox versions (besides sports games) and better if they're Japanese?

What Gamecube 3rd party game this year has sold over 400k copies in a single territory?

Kon Tiki

Banned
JayFro said:
When I said 3rd party I meant sports as well. Nice try though. Xbox and Gamecube don't really have many of the same titles to even compare sales numbers with in the first place. How did Splinter Cell sell on the Cube?
How did Soccer Slam sell on Xbox?

JayFro

Banned
Society said:
How did Soccer Slam sell on Xbox?

Horrible niche title, and I'm sure Splinter Cell more than makes up for any kind of numbers Soccer Slam put up.

You can't make any decent comparisons because many 3rd party games that sell decent on Xbox are rated M. Many 3rd party games that sell well on the cube are E. Comparisons just aren't happening.

etiolate

Banned
All that is to be learned here is that IGN gets dumber by the day.

What Gamecube 3rd party game this year has sold over 400k copies in a single territory?

Tales of Symphonia in Japan would be the closest, but I am not sure of its total sales.

Kon Tiki

Banned
JayFro said:
Horrible niche title, and I'm sure Splinter Cell more than makes up for any kind of numbers Soccer Slam put up.

You can't make any decent comparisons because many 3rd party games that sell decent on Xbox are rated M. Many 3rd party games that sell well on the cube are E. Comparisons just aren't happening.

They are both late ports.

One being a a niche title, the other being a sports game.

jarrod

Banned
JayFro said:
When I said 3rd party I meant sports as well. Nice try though.
Try what? Unless you're talking strictly sports releases, GameCube and XBox sales are generally comparable, while PS2 is way ahead. Not always the case sure, but that seems to be the trend. Overall GC & XBox have moved around the same amount of software (100 million units each) while PS2 has moved almost 5 times that.

JayFro said:
Xbox and Gamecube don't really have many of the same titles to even compare sales numbers with in the first place.
Sure they do, almost everything from EA, UbiSoft and Activision for example.

JayFro said:
How did Splinter Cell sell on the Cube?
Horribly but then that's what you get releasing an inferior outsourced product half a year later. How well did Sonic Heroes sell on XBox?

Top Bottom