• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

Sarcasm

Water boss and I do pretty pitiful damage - dodging doesn't help lol. This defense tailsmen and something else don't help...lol

=(

Hybris

So I just picked up this game after greatly enjoying Bloodborne and I have to say I'm really raging and not enjoying fighting against the Yokai early on in the game.

Is hitting that horn weak spot really the only way to stagger them / drop their Ki? That seems really cheap and unfun to me :/ Any other advice for fighting them? I literally can't even make it past the first major level because every time I come across a Yokai it feels like I'm just beating my head against the wall against an extremely cheap enemy.

That's the only way to break their Ki and stagger instantly, otherwise you can drain their ki quickly by using moves that deal heavy ki damage, like kicking for instance. Each weapon has abilities that can drain ki very quickly.

lawtowler

Is there a recommended level to start the DLC? I've finished the main story path, done the two kings but not the other double boss mission. Haven't played in a month or so.

Never started Way of the Strong...

Does the game expect you to be a high level Way of the Strong pro, or is standard end-game sufficient?

Deku Tree

Is there a recommended level to start the DLC? I've finished the main story path, done the two kings but not the other double boss mission. Haven't played in a month or so.

Never started Way of the Strong...

Does the game expect you to be a high level Way of the Strong pro, or is standard end-game sufficient?

Standard end game is OK. Not harder than the last region in the main game IMO.

Baalzebup

Since I never bothered to upgrade weapons: how do you upgrade one at level 150? I know they can be pushed to lvl 150+10, but that's the extent of my knowledge, which is now biting me in the ass for the DLC since I'm not inflicting a whole lot of damage. Used to be fine for the end of the main campaign, but with just the first DLC mission I get the impression the game expected me to have better gear by now.
The basics of upgrading Divine Weapons, beyond just upgrading the basic item level via Soul Fusion, involves using other Divine tier weapons that have +# behind the level. You have to use a weapon with equal or higher +# as Soul Fusion material to get the weapon you want to upgrade to go up one +#.

So if you Soul Fuse a lv 150 Divine with a lv 150 (+1) Divine, you get a lv 150 (+1) Divine. Then, if you fuse that with another lv 150 (+1) Divine, you get a lv 150 (+2) Divine. Rinse and repeat. You can get items with pretty high +# numbers from the end missions of the Way of the Strong and the Way of the Demon drops are way better.

You can basically use any melee weapon to upgrade any melee weapon, any ranged weapon to upgrade any ranged weapon and any armor piece to upgrade any armor piece, but you get price reductions if you use a similar item aka a helm to upgrade a helm or an axe to upgrade an axe. You get an even bigger discount if the item is the exact same type, like using a Red Demons chest piece to upgrade another Red Demons chest piece.

Woah, Way of the Demon is delivering some high level drops. I like how they've added in those buffed enemies that, so far, drop a divine item every time you beat them. Playing it though makes me feel like I'm doing so little damage, but I'm kind of excited for that, the challenge is back.
How's the Odachi been in the game? I'm not really in the mood to redo my character again, but that sword looks pretty cool.

Water boss and I do pretty pitiful damage - dodging doesn't help lol. This defense tailsmen and something else don't help...lol

=(

Like others have said use fire talisman to apply fire damage, and light the three fires (one is hidden behind one of those yoki walls) the fires will kill any adds in that fight. I usually get up in the bosses face, it's really hard to dodge it's arms at a distance, plus you can do constant damage. Back off now and then to allow it to do it's distance attacks and the one shot laser attack.

SephiZack

It's a bit laggy, but damn I'm having lots of fun in PvP.

And PvP tip: I have seen nobody using bow, but bow is very strong in PvP. I wouldn't be Rank AA without Bow (and single katana)

The basics of upgrading Divine Weapons, beyond just upgrading the basic item level via Soul Fusion, involves using other Divine tier weapons that have +# behind the level. You have to use a weapon with equal or higher +# as Soul Fusion material to get the weapon you want to upgrade to go up one +#.

So if you Soul Fuse a lv 150 Divine with a lv 150 (+1) Divine, you get a lv 150 (+1) Divine. Then, if you fuse that with another lv 150 (+1) Divine, you get a lv 150 (+2) Divine. Rinse and repeat. You can get items with pretty high +# numbers from the end missions of the Way of the Strong and the Way of the Demon drops are way better.

You can basically use any melee weapon to upgrade any melee weapon, any ranged weapon to upgrade any ranged weapon and any armor piece to upgrade any armor piece, but you get price reductions if you use a similar item aka a helm to upgrade a helm or an axe to upgrade an axe. You get an even bigger discount if the item is the exact same type, like using a Red Demons chest piece to upgrade another Red Demons chest piece.
Much obliged. Further questions though, since I only have a scarce amount of relevant Divine gear:

- Does it need to be an item of the same type? Would something like fusing a +1 armor piece or charm into a weapon be possible?
- In what order do I need to forge them together? Select the +1 item first and then the one I want to upgrade, or vice versa?
- Are (for example) +2 items required if I want to move past +2, or are upgrades in +1 increments accepted no matter how far I advance this process?

Thanks again.

The kick move (from the skill tree) is your friend. Drops a chunk of stamina on any enemy it hits. Cheap on samurai skill points too.

General rule of thumb: if a manoeuvre doesn't look all too flashy in the preview video, then it likely has another primary purpose.

The yoki are slow (except the ninja ones) and have a limited set of moves just go the opposite side they attack. They quickly become the standard enemies and don't need to use anything special to beat them, breaking the horns makes the fights a bit quicker but you don't need to do it to beat them.

I'll try the kicks. Basically I've been kiting them into attacking and then getting 1-2 quick hits in, then retreating and repeating. It's been...tedious.

Onryoki?

Stick close except when he's spinning his balls - he's slow, so evade while in low stance and concentrate getting hits behind him. And get some kicks in while you're at it.

Not sure what they're called. The big red flaming dudes with the glowing horns and dual daggers.

Baalzebup

Much obliged. Further questions though, since I only have a scarce amount of relevant Divine gear:

- Does it need to be an item of the same type? Would something like fusing a +1 armor piece or charm into a weapon be possible?
- In what order do I need to forge them together? Select the +1 item first and then the one I want to upgrade, or vice versa?
- Are (for example) +2 items required if I want to move past +2, or are upgrades in +1 increments accepted no matter how far I advance this process?

Thanks again.
The minimum item type compatibility demands using melee weapons for melee weapons, ranged weapons for ranged weapons and armors for armors. It simply will not let you do otherwise. Charms are completely out of the whole item modification business and cannot be adjusted or used to adjust other things.

For Soul Fusion in general, you will always first choose the item you are upgrading and then the item you are using as material for the upgrade. If you are upgrading a lv 150 item to its first +# value, you will pick that one first and the (+1) item as material.

As I already mentioned, you will always need an item with a equal or higher +# value compared to the item you are upgrading, so you can only use (+1) items to make items up to (+2). For a (+3) item, you need to match a (+2) item with another item with (+2) or higher. To get your favourite beatstick from lv 150 to lv 150 (+10), you will have to Soul Match it 10 times, using materials with (+1), (+1), (+2), (+3), (+4), (+5), (+6), (+7), (+8), (+9) or higher on each step along the way. How you acquire those +# materials is entirely up to you. The end game missions in Way of the Strong (pre-DLC) could drop stuff up to (+7), though I've personally seen drops only up to (+6) before.

You can only move a piece of gear up a single +# digit at a time, so if you upgrade a (+3) item with a (+6) item, you will still only end up with a (+4).

I'll try the kicks. Basically I've been kiting them into attacking and then getting 1-2 quick hits in, then retreating and repeating. It's been...tedious.

Not sure what they're called. The big red flaming dudes with the glowing horns and dual daggers.

This is your basic enemy in this game, there gonna be more of them in a few different forms. There is nothing hard and cheap about them. The attacks have patterns and are easy to read and dodge, most of them is rather slow too. Get use to them cause you gonna fight them a lot.

It's best to tackle dual daggers from behind. When they do the combo, dodge front, so you can go through combo and you will find yourself behind them and they will be open to any form of attack.

Naite

I'm giving up on reforging. It's too diluted with shitty new effects and the ones with the new star icon don't seem to be reforgable or it's really, really rare.

I'm giving up on reforging. It's too diluted with shitty new effects and the ones with the new star icon don't seem to be reforgable or it's really, really rare.

It was always hard to get max roll and it seems the star next to special effect shows exactly this, the maximum possible roll for that effect, so no wonder it's hard to get.

It was always hard to get max roll and still is. Also it seems the star next to special effect shows exactly this, the maximum possible roll for that effect, so no wonder it's hard to get.

Star being maximum roll is bunk.

Seen it on a Soul Match Reduction 50% when there's a Soul Match Reduction 80% on another piece of gear.

Yeah, this is the Dark Souls way of fighting essentially and that's not really playing Nioh to its strengths for what it's worth. With enough practice re: player mechanics and enough understanding of enemy patterns, you can be remarkably aggressive in this game.

I took a break from this went to Bloodborne and came back to it... I find myself a lot more aggressive and even just kinda breezing through the levels. I'm not feeling the whole "whats behind the corner" feeling anymore. Its just "oh its just this enemy".

Yeah, this is the Dark Souls way of fighting essentially and that's not really playing Nioh to its strengths for what it's worth. With enough practice re: player mechanics and enough understanding of enemy patterns, you can be remarkably aggressive in this game.

I have literally no idea what's going on in that video lmao. Are those all late-game skills? How is he staggering the boss so easily with his basic attacks?? What's the crazy spinning AOE attack? How do you do the parry animation?

I feel like I'm playing a different game from that guy. Half the time I buy skills and then it feels like they aren't working in game either. Like the Iado (sp?) sheathe attack where you hold L1 + O just straight up isn't working. Does that work with the dual katanas?

EDIT: Enemy at 4:25 is the one I'm struggling with. How is he staggering him so easily? Whenever I try to attack them they just swing through my attacks and decimate my HP with a single combo.

I have literally no idea what's going on in that video lmao. Are those all late-game skills? How is he staggering the boss so easily with his basic attacks?? What's the crazy spinning AOE attack? How do you do the parry animation?

I feel like I'm playing a different game from that guy. Half the time I buy skills and then it feels like they aren't working in game either. Like the Iado (sp?) sheathe attack where you hold L1 + O just straight up isn't working. Does that work with the dual katanas?

When you break a youkai enemy's/boss's stamina bar (their stamina bar is glowing red), EVERY SINGLE HIT will stagger them until they recover. Stay on them to maximize the opening you create by breaking their stamina.

Parries are bought in the skill tree.

Iai for single katana (R1+O hold) is a separate skill from the draw attack on dual katana. For dual katana the R1+O skill is called Sign of the Cross and it must be bought separately in the dual katana skill tree.(spoilers: It's fucking godlike and literally my favorite skill in the game, especially once you get the charge speed upgrade).

EDIT: Just saw your edit. That enemy starts at 4:24~4:25 like you said, and if you pause right when it starts, you'll notice he cut the clip to start when the enemy is already at like 33% stamina. From there he immediately drains the rest of its stamina with the dual katana roundhouse into God of Wind II (a dual katana roundhouse kick followup).

Since its stamina is broken, it will stagger on every hit, like I mentioned above.

Hybris

Default controls on that should be R1 + O unless you have a different scheme. If that's not it, sometimes it's a bit finicky, but it should always work if you hold R1 and tap O then hold O on the 2nd press.

Naite

Wow the Marobashi mission on way of the demon gives a ton of xp. 3-4 runs gives me enough to level up my level 300 character.

xuchu

I think i'm gonna do dlc tonight, what are peoples thought on odachi and am i gonna like it :p

I've played around with it a bit and liking it a lot. It has in built stance change skills kind of like the spear and a sweet iai strike move. Faster and has more skills than axe, liking it a lot on my strength build.

Wow the Marobashi mission on way of the demon gives a ton of xp. 3-4 runs gives me enough to level up my level 300 character.

Do it with some sake and see how much more you get, although might not be worth it with only the 6 masters.

I think i'm gonna do dlc tonight, what are peoples thought on odachi and am i gonna like it :p

I like it and I think it's great. The only reason it didn't replace my secondary weapon (spear) yet is the armor set that goes with it is heavy armor and I only use light armor. Will try to figure something out,in the worst case I'm willing to drop 11% of my damage to make it work. Really fun weapon to play with.

Naite

Do it with some sake and see how much more you get, although might not be worth it with only the 6 masters.

With the sake I level up in half the time (I only drank once on the 2nd run). Not in a huge rush to level up though. Mostly running this hoping I get some 210 gear here.

Deku Tree

I like it and I think it's great. The only reason it didn't replace my secondary weapon (spear) yet is the armor set that goes with it is heavy armor and I only use light armor. Will try to figure something out,in the worst case I'm willing to drop 11% of my damage to make it work. Really fun weapon to play with.

What is the good armor set to go with the Odachi?

SephiZack

Damn reached Rank 8 in PvP, using Katana + Bow. Ninjutsu and Onmyo ONLY if enemy used first.

I am tired of the hundreds of people using Kusarigama single skill spam lol

I think I am going to do a video about PvP tips and sutff

What is the good armor set to go with the Odachi?

I would say any will work, depends on what are you looking for. If you don't mind heavy armor then the new set is great, (can't remember the name at the moment) You could use two (lightest) pieces and a weapon and you can get 4 piece bonus with yasakani magatama. The rest you can fill as you like. You could use sword, bow and a head piece of Warrior of the West set for another 4 piece bonus and fill the rest with yatagarasu rifle and two armor pieces. All together gives you three active four pieces set bonuses and it should put you in agility B, if not then pump some points to make sure you stay at least at B. I can't use anything other than A, I got so use to it it's super hard for me to play with lower agility.

Damn reached Rank 8 in PvP, using Katana + Bow. Ninjutsu and Onmyo ONLY if enemy used first.

I am tired of the hundreds of people using Kusarigama single skill spam lol

I think I am going to do a video about PvP tips and sutff

Yep, everyone I get is either Kusarigama one move spammer or dual sword tornado (or whaterver is the move called) spammer, no fun at all.

What's it called? I haven't checked any of the new armor sets.

Kill me but I can't remember, not at home yet. There are three new sets, one for axe, one for dual swords and one for odachi. I think the Odachi set is called Unrivalled Warrior, Dual sword set is called One-eye Dragon.

When you break a youkai enemy's/boss's stamina bar (their stamina bar is glowing red), EVERY SINGLE HIT will stagger them until they recover. Stay on them to maximize the opening you create by breaking their stamina.

Parries are bought in the skill tree.

Iai for single katana (L1+O hold) is a separate skill from the draw attack on dual katana. For dual katana the L1+O skill is called Sign of the Cross and it must be bought separately in the dual katana skill tree.(spoilers: It's fucking godlike and literally my favorite skill in the game, especially once you get the charge speed upgrade).

EDIT: Just saw your edit. That enemy starts at 4:24~4:25 like you said, and if you pause right when it starts, you'll notice he cut the clip to start when the enemy is already at like 33% stamina. From there he immediately drains the rest of its stamina with the dual katana roundhouse into God of Wind II (a dual katana roundhouse kick followup).

Since its stamina is broken, it will stagger on every hit, like I mentioned above.

Ohhhh ok, so basically need to drain their Ki before I commit to any major combos. And use the Ki Pulse to extend my attacks I guess. Got it. And yeah I had the single katana I'll have to buy the dual one. And the kick apparently.

Thanks for the tips!

Are the Yokai enemies able to be parried too? Or just the human ones? I don't remember if I saw a Yokai get parried in that video.

Default controls on that should be R1 + O unless you have a different scheme. If that's not it, sometimes it's a bit finicky, but it should always work if you hold R1 and tap O then hold O on the 2nd press.
Yeah I meant R1+O. I bought the single katana version of that skill

Just human enemies, you can't parry Yokai.
You don't need to drain the Ki to do any major combos. Learn to dodge and to dodge a lot. You can dodge pulse and you should dodge out and in a lot during fight, that will keep you in motion all the time, you harded to hit and you always fighting. Don't play defense when you are a perfect offense.

Ohhhh ok, so basically need to drain their Ki before I commit to any major combos. And use the Ki Pulse to extend my attacks I guess. Got it. And yeah I had the single katana I'll have to buy the dual one. And the kick apparently.

Thanks for the tips!

Are the Yokai enemies able to be parried too? Or just the human ones? I don't remember if I saw a Yokai get parried in that video.

Yeah I meant R1+O. I bought the single katana version of that skill

Lolol, yeah, I meant R1+O also, oops.

For your other question, single katana parries can parry the tiny youkai (like human sized skeletons with weapons; NOT the bigger skeletons with giant axes). As far as I know, no other weapon can parry youkai. Dunno why Team Ninja made it that way, other than blatant bias toward single katana, hahaha.

xuchu

Lolol, yeah, I meant R1+O also, oops.

For your other question, single katana parries can parry the tiny youkai (like human sized skeletons with weapons; NOT the bigger skeletons with giant axes). As far as I know, no other weapon can parry youkai. Dunno why Team Ninja made it that way, other than blatant bias toward single katana, hahaha.

Single katana haze doesn't work like it did anymore though T_T

Top Bottom