• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

eyesradar

Any of you nice reviewers who got the game early could tell us if the NA/EU retail ver. contains Asian Language options (for text) or not?

Thanks ahead!

Audioboxer

Awesome!

I found the beta a bit confusing, and all the stances and what not turned me off a little. However, I'm certainly getting the game at some point if not launch.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
another complaint that is slowly trickling in: the enemies are pretty much the same the entire game. No new tactics needed.

Weird gameinformer guy said on his reddit ama that he thought new enemies were introduced at a good pace just when you got the hang of old ones.

Gbraga

Why do you automatically go to sales when i'm referring to the competency of the development community in Japan?

I've heard plenty recently that japanese games dont matter and that they are even shit. But we come back and see plenty of great games getting good reception and reviews and filling out the library of what would be some very slow months.

Japan still makes many of the best games out there. That's what i mean.

Honestly, if you ask me, they make almost all of them. The amount of western devs I care about is very low these days.

V-Faction

Wait, what?

Tell me more.

Probably means that loot drops can have random Stats, Enhancement, Rolls, etc. on any given piece of equipment and/or weapon.

Where as in Souls, the Broadsword is the Broadsword, the Spear is the Spear, Havel's is Havel's no matter the playthrough.

Hanmik

Weird gameinformer guy said on his reddit ama that he thought new enemies were introduced at a good pace just when you got the hang of old ones.

They do reuse some enemies.. BUT, they introduce new ones all the time. For me it feels just right.

Alo0oy

Banned
Wait, what?

Tell me more.

Loot have levels and rarity, rarity determines how many bonuses a weapon has, a weapon's level determines how good these bonuses are.

It's a LOT more in-depth than that with rerolling bonuses, transmog, and soul match. The Loot system seems very addictive.

Well, this was definitely unexpected. I haven't followed this game at all, but based on the reviews I might just have to take a look.

Tsunamo

Can't wait to play it. Feels like i've been waiting for so long, the beta, alpha and last chance made the wait harder if anything.

Hanmik

Loot have levels and rarity, rarity determines how many bonuses a weapon has, a weapon's level determines how good these bonuses are.

It's a LOT more in-depth than that with rerolling bonuses, transmog, and soul match. The Loot system seems very addictive.

my only complaint to the loot..sometimes it feel like I find "to much" loot.. and it takes some time to manage all the loot after a mission. So I spend a lot of time managing weapons/armors all the time.. and I have a hard time finding out which one is the best for me...

but that is a small complaint.

Anung

Un Rama
I wonder how long 2017 can keep up this good review momentum?

I really want to grab this but some of the prices online are crazy expensive.

Alo0oy

Banned
They do reuse some enemies.. BUT, they introduce new ones all the time. For me it feels just right.

You have a review copy, right? Does the weapon scaling work like the demo? For example, the sword scales mainly with HEART, but it was broken in the demo and it wasn't beneficial to focus on the weapon's main scaling stat.

Mupod

Wait, what?

Tell me more.

as was said already, the loot system is random rather than set.

For more specifics, loot drops with a level dictating its base power. From there it can have all kinds of modifiers, for example armor can have a percentage damage increase to humanoids, give extra souls on kills, improve magic etc. Weapons can have elemental damage, life leech, that kind of thing.

On top of that there's even armor/weapon sets like Diablo. The demo had a full set that dropped from Muneshige and gave you all kinds of crazy bonuses like boosts to certain moves and resistance to backstabs.

And then it has other systems like the ability to reroll traits on items. I spent a lot of money in the demo trying to make a perfect spear with life leech and some other stuff. You can also level up items you like by feeding higher level items to them, the set I mentioned drops at like level 13 but I leveled it up to 31-ish in the demo and it was awesome.

There's crafting too. The gear system is a LOT deeper than I expected.

Alo0oy

Banned
my only complaint to the loot..sometimes it feel like I find "to much" loot.. and it takes some time to manage all the loot after a mission. So I spend a lot of time managing weapons/armors all the time.. and I have a hard time finding out which one is the best for me...

How hard is it to farm high level purples with a good "grandfathered" bonus? The grandfathered bonus stat was the main thing I hated from the demo.

Hanmik

You have a review copy, right? Does the weapon scaling work like the demo? For example, the sword scales mainly with HEART, but it was broken in the demo and it wasn't beneficial to focus on the weapon's main scaling stat.

I don't think it is broken.. but again I haven't really "looked" for that. I just went with a Sword, and I decided to level all attributes instead of just one. So I did not focus on Heart at all, mostly because I like to switch out weapons and use ninjitsu/magic and the living creature. So I leveled all equally...

Mupod

can you imagine if they kept the alpha's loot system? Every enemy dropped everything they were carrying, and durability wore down so fast you had to dick around in your inventory constantly. It was maddening.

I'm really impressed by how much they improved in a fairly short period by just listening to feedback.

Deku Tree

Which reviews tell us stuff about the game that we don't already know from playing the betas? I feel like IGN review was lacking in this regard.

Pre-ordered

Court-gavel-small.png

I don't think it is broken.. but again I haven't really "looked" for that. I just went with a Sword, and I decided to level all attributes instead of just one. So I did not focus on Heart at all, mostly because I like to switch out weapons and use ninjitsu/magic and the living creature. So I leveled all equally...

That's similar to what I read on Reddit where the current conclusion is that the Developers want people to spread out their stats instead of focusing on 2-3 of them like in Souls.

Obviously this would take a lot of testing to get to the bottom of it but this is something I could put over in the category of "Don't play it like Souls"

Jb

can you imagine if they kept the alpha's loot system? Every enemy dropped everything they were carrying, and durability wore down so fast you had to dick around in your inventory constantly. It was maddening.

I'm really impressed by how much they improved in a fairly short period by just listening to feedback.

Yeah you can tell KT was paying really close attention to what we said after the betas. Good on them, I hope it ends up paying off and Souls fans give it a shot;

Hanmik

How hard is it to farm high level purples with a good "grandfathered" bonus? The grandfathered bonus stat was the main thing I hated from the demo.

To be honest, I haven't even had the need to farm (yet).. just playing through the game normally gives you a lot of loot.. like A LOT. Many of my stuff has that "grandfathered" bonus stat, and I have only concentrated on doing the Main story missions, and playing all the side missions (not online stuff or twilight missions)..

I guess if you want the best weapons/armor, then you need to farm for stuff for the Blacksmith, so that you can forge your own weapons. It takes quite some time to gather the highest quality resources for the better weapons.

Ninja Gaiden got a 91. The entire Souls series is between 88-92, whereas this is 85.

A five point difference is significant given the narrow range game scores fall into.

I'm looking into the stats on review scores over the last few gens and when it comes to the top end (80s-90s) the difference is absolutely huge.

There are literally half as many 90+ scoring games now than there was back in the PS1/PS2 era.

It's not that critics have become more harsh across the board it's that 80-89 has become a soft limit for most games with very few allowed to score more than that.

I'm pretty confident that Nioh and RE7 would have been comfortably in the 90s of reviewed in previous generations, not least back half of the 90+ scoring titles in the 2000s were FIFA/Madden/NBA annual releases...

Mupod

I can't read reviews here, so I dunno if this is mentioned in them, but how are twilight missions handled in the full game?

Alo0oy

Banned
That's similar to what I read on Reddit where the current conclusion is that the Developers want people to spread out their stats instead of focusing on 2-3 of them like in Souls.

Obviously this would take a lot of testing to get to the bottom of it but this is something I could put over in the category of "Don't play it like Souls"

I don't think it's a souls thing to expect different builds based on your stat spread. A STR/STM tank shouldn't have the same stats as a HRT/DEX agile Ninjutsu build.

I really think we don't have the full picture yet.

xuchu

I can't read reviews here, so I dunno if this is mentioned in them, but how are twilight missions handled in the full game?

Two twilight missions that change daily. One high level, one low level. Don't know how I feel about that.

Alo0oy

Banned
Two twilight missions that change daily. One high level, one low level. Don't know how I feel about that.

It depends on how they implement it, if they want to adapt the MMO-like dailies approach, then enemy configuration and loot has to be unique.

EDIT: I actually wouldn't mind daily coop missions as well.

Shengar

Also XLHGladiator's video isn't meant to show how to kill enemies in the fastest way possible, rather kind of the opposite.

I think he deliberately choose the weakest weapon so he can show his fancy skill. If he used strongest weapon at his disposal, I believe the enemy will be dead quickly with that barrage of attacks.

Top Bottom