• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Reckheim

Wish I pre-ordered this during E3 for the discount (played during the trial period and loved it). As a Canadian it sucks buying new games at full price so i'll just wait for a discount.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell is going on in that third gif. It looks so stupid. Even Peter North doesn't spray that much.

It wasn't meant to spray that much, I believe. XD

It's the absolutely balla ending to
Sanjuro.
It is a super intense moment in a fairly light-hearted film, at least in comparison to Yojimbo.

Nonsense.

This is nonesense...
Primarily single-player games are on the decline right now, but Nioh is a strong argument for the merits of this withering form.

From that Eurogamer review.

This right after a strong Resident Evil 7 launch. Single player games are not in decline.

It is not a withering form either. Use terminology that evokes something desirable, not something that is dying when it most obviously is not.

Smacks of agenda-driven writing.

Coxy100

Banned
Like this..

Once you start the game, there are ZERO Twilight missions.
Once you have completed the first mission, 2 Twilight missions are available. One low and one high level.
Complete more missions, then those missions are unlocked for Twilight mode.

But you can't chose which mission to play. They are rotated randomly from the missions you have unlocked. So the game just cycles through the unlocked missions randomly..

Thanks. Sorry if I'm being thick... but in the last chance demo there was a map where you could choose missions. Are you saying that once you've completed a mission - you can't then just access it simply again after? It's random?

(Like in Bloodborne you can just load the bonfire)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What the hell is going on in that third gif. It looks so stupid. Even Peter North doesn't spray that much.

You ever see how anime with swords does the same thing? They got it from old films like this that dramatize combat in this manner

xuchu

Like this..

Once you start the game, there are ZERO Twilight missions.
Once you have completed the first mission, 2 Twilight missions are available. One low and one high level.
Complete more missions, then those missions are unlocked for Twilight mode.

But you can't chose which mission to play. They are rotated randomly from the missions you have unlocked. So the game just cycles through the unlocked missions randomly..

Wait...so the high level twilight and low level are the same level? Or is that only after the first mission. I have heard it cycles daily. Is this the case?

Hanmik

Thanks. Sorry if I'm being thick... but in the last chance demo there was a map where you could choose missions. Are you saying that once you've completed a mission - you can't then just access it simply again after? It's random?

(Like in Bloodborne you can just load the bonfire)

You can replay all missions as often as you want.
But Twilight mode is something else. It is a much Harder version of the same mission. In the last demo I think you could chose which mission you wanted to play in twilight mode. This can't be done in the full game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea that Eurogamer line about the state of single-player gaming is nonsensical. Just a month after almost the entire industry handed out their highest praise to Doom, Uncharted 4, FFXV, Hitman, Dark Souls 3, etc... Oh is it because Overwatch was popular?

You ever see how anime with swords does the same thing? They got it from old films like this that dramatize combat in this manner

I know all that dude, I've been watching Japanese movies since I was 12. But there's a right way and a wrong way to pull off these things, and that gif looks fucking daft.

Coxy100

Banned
You can replay all missions as often as you want.
But Twilight mode is something else. It is a much Harder version of the same mission. In the last demo I think you could chose which mission you wanted to play in twilight mode. This can't be done in the full game.

brill thanks!

Inuhanyou

I know all that dude, I've been watching Japanese movies since I was 12. But there's a right way and a wrong way to pull off these things, and that gif looks fucking daft.

Its an old film man, give it a break. Sometimes its gonna look weird

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I'd actually hope they double down on story but give a character customization option another form of play

I mean it kind of depends what the faults with the story actually are because depending on that doubling down can very well just lead to doubling down on a weakness that might not transform into a strength.

If it's just 2-3 steps away from being something really good sure. If it's kind of entirely forgettable I think playing to your strength and empowering more player customization in all the ways you can even if you have sacrifice some advantages of having a defined protagonist is better.

This is nonesense...

This right after a strong Resident Evil 7 launch. Single player games are not in decline.

It is not a withering form either. Use terminology that evokes something desirable, not something that is dying when it most obviously is not.

No. Your post is nonsense. They weren't shitting on anything. They're pointing out the trend by publishers towards more connected games. There's a veritable laundry list of major games and publishers moving towards multiplayer. That line is saying it may be happening but there are still good single player experiences coming out.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This is nonesense...

You don't think single player games are becoming less common while multiplayer/service-style games are on the rise (in the AAA space especially)?

That's all they meant by that statement. The fact that a single player game just came out isn't evidence against the larger industry trend.

And even if they were wrong about the trend, they still wouldn't be saying single player games are somehow inherently bad.

Good thing I avoided watching new videos today....
Dude, I opened up YouTube and checked my subs just to see a person by the name of PowerPyx uploaded 10 bosses already. I'm also on mobile so the thumbnail spoiled me. I looked away so fast so I only remember about 4. That channel is awesome but I'm trying to go in relatively spoil-free and that didn't help. Stay safe.

BigEmil

This is nonesense...

I see what you mean but I don't think they're shitting on single player games just mwrely pointing out nowadays single player games are on the decline as in less of those type of games...atleast that's what I think they meant. Bleh

Dude, I opened up YouTube and checked my subs just to see a person by the name of PowerPyx uploaded 10 bosses already. I'm also on mobile so the thumbnail spoiled me. I looked away so fast so I only remember about 4. Stay safe.

Not surprised- his MGSV S-Rank guides are pretty good.

Glad this game is viewed positively by reviewers! Will this year harken back to the PS2 era of Sony exclusives? I feel like I have a half dozen Japanese based games on pre-order at GameStop. It's such a wonderful feeling.

Not surprised- his MGSV S-Rank guides are pretty good.

Glad this game is viewed positively by reviewers! Will this year harken back to the PS2 era of Sony exclusives? I feel like I have a half dozen Japanese based games on pre-order at GameStop. It's such a wonderful feeling.
Yeah, his channel is awesome and that's his job so I'm not upset. It just took me by surprise.

BigRedOne

That there are some game so brutally hard that are just simply not for me and the amount of time I have for gaming. I hope you all have a blast.

Why does a very Japanese game that's set in feudal Japan no less features a very very very white protagonist? What am I missing?

BigEmil

Is there a NG+?
Yeah

" Originally Posted by Reviewer on Reddit
NG+ hits right after you complete the mission after credits. You unlock the ability to level up spirit guardians and immediately can engage with the new "difficulty" which is NG+, called Way of the Strong. "

i dont know if this was posted already but i dont see a thread about it so maybe it wasnt.

GI explaining a lot of ins and outs

https://youtu.be/ZV5ONxl-mrI

If you go up to the 18min mark they're showing the new Guardian Spirits and their abilities.

I'm thinking no matter what kind of build, heavy samurai or light ninja, I'll always put 25 points into Spirit just so that I can use all of them @_@ They're too cool!

silva1991

Dude, I opened up YouTube and checked my subs just to see a person by the name of PowerPyx uploaded 10 bosses already. I'm also on mobile so the thumbnail spoiled me. I looked away so fast so I only remember about 4. That channel is awesome but I'm trying to go in relatively spoil-free and that didn't help. Stay safe.
Deleting youtube history seems necessity at this point -__-

I've played all the Souls games and Bloodborne and admit that I resorted to cheap tactics/summoning people for some of the harder bosses in those games. For those who have played the beta or review version or have knowledge about this, is this much harder than those games? I've been hearing horror stories that are making me hesitate. I like a good challenge but I'm afraid my reflexes aren't what they used to be. Ugh, that makes me sound so old... (I'm not... HONEST!...)

thelastword

Banned
So Playstation went from having no games to "too many games".........

Always knew this game was something special and always knew Team Ninja was something special without Itagaki...Awesome reviews for a game in one of my favourite genres....Feelsgoodman.org.........

Inuhanyou

Why does a very Japanese game that's set in feudal Japan no less features a very very very white protagonist? What am I missing?

Nioh from its conception in 2004 was based on William Adams, a western sailor who is a fish out of water in Japan

xuchu

Is there a NG+?

Yes, it is called way of the strong. Here is a post by a player who has beat the game on Reddit:

NG+ hits right after you complete the mission after credits. You unlock the ability to level up spirit guardians and immediately can engage with the new "difficulty" which is NG+, called Way of the Strong.

I uncovered a ton of skins, but none of them female (that doesn't mean they don't exist, however). It takes a fair time investment to earn them using glory currency, but if you do a lot of multiplayer you should be able to get them much faster (my glory came in mostly from revenant slaying)

Edit: haha beaten...

Still trying to find out whether or not users without PS+ can still access revenants.

Bloodborne & Dark Souls 3 without PS+ locks out all online functions. Hopefully it's not the same deal with this game.

Top Bottom