• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

That's an early-ass embargo, relative to a lot of previous game releases. Very smart strategic marketing method as well actually. It'll get greater mindshare now everyone knows it's a well-reviewed game.

Are there people with early access to this that would be streaming it, or do we have to wait until the 7th Feb?

Hanmik

I can't read reviews here, so I dunno if this is mentioned in them, but how are twilight missions handled in the full game?

Once you have finished a mission, that mission is cycled into the twilight mission cycle.

then you can play 2 random twilight missions from that "bundle" of twilight missions. One high level, and one low level..

That is at least what I have observed, but I have not played one of those yet... but they look to be completely random, so you can't chose which mission you want to play in Twilight mode. Unless I missed something..

Greedings

The Eurogamer review is pretty fair. I don't think Nioh is a 9/10 personally, but it's got a hell of a lot going for it, I hope it sells well. Maybe Team Ninja can knock it out the park with a sequel.

Milijango

Game Informer posted a video on youtube with the title "We defeat Nioh's final boss"
Is this some kind of joke? This game is out in a week.

I saw on YouTube earlier GameInformer had a Nioh video showing the last boss!! Why the hell would you do that when the game's not even out for a week?!

The video is labelled clearly and the thumbnail isn't a spoiler, so I don't see the issue.

Fandangox

What's the problem with posting the final boss video? It will be there for those that want to watch it. Its not like people are going to accidentally watch the entirety of a half hour video.

firelogic

I saw on YouTube earlier GameInformer had a Nioh video showing the last boss!! Why the hell would you do that when the game's not even out for a week?!

Thanks; watching now.

The title of the video specifically says Last Boss so it's not like they stuck it in another video to catch people by surprise. And the thumbnail doesn't show the boss either. Just a picture of the main character.

Edit:
Whoops. Already answered.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What's the problem with posting the final boss video? It will be there for those that want to watch it. Its not like people are going to accidentally watch the entirety of a half hour video.

posting spoilers of games that arent even out generally is frowned upon. Maybe if the game was released it would be a different story.

It doesn't matter if they titled it, they should show some flipping restraint

Wow, did not expect these scores! Granted I did not touch the beta or anything but my assumption is this is a cross between Ninja Gaiden / Onimusha / Dark Souls; would I be correct in saying that?

vaderise

With this and RE7, 2017 is off to a great start. I'm broke as hell so i won't be picking this up soon but it's good to know that it's good enough for my Souls-like thirst.

Fandangox

posting spoilers of games that arent even out generally is frowned upon. Maybe if the game was released maybe.

For this specific video. There is no way it will ever affect anyone trying to not get spoiled on the game.

No spoilers in thumbnail.

They label the video title with spoilers even thought it should be pretty obvious already.

They have a warning at the beginning of the video in case someone that didn't read the title or got it in with autoplay can hear it.

They play through the ENTIRE level before showing the final boss. People will have enough time to exit the video if they don't want to be spoiled.

There's absolutely no issue here.

galvenize

posting spoilers of games that arent even out generally is frowned upon. Maybe if the game was released it would be a different story.

It doesn't matter if they titled it, they should show some flipping restraint

Still makes you curious though, like that time the streamer played the final FFXV boss before release.

Inuhanyou

Wow, did not expect these scores! Granted I did not touch the beta or anything but my assumption is this is a cross between Ninja Gaiden / Onimusha / Dark Souls; would I be correct in saying that?

Your right on that account but you forgot one. Its a cross between Ninja Gaiden(pace of combat/depth of combat systems), Souls(general level design, and RPG mechanics), Onimusha(fusing your weapon with elemental bodies to fight oni in feudal era Japan, meeting historical figures) and Diablo(a lot of random loot drops and micro management).

Still makes you curious though, like that time the streamer played the final FFXV boss before release.

Yeah, i'm sure that also colored many expectations...people downvoted leaked vids to hell

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
i dont know if this was posted already but i dont see a thread about it so maybe it wasnt.

GI explaining a lot of ins and outs of Nioh

https://youtu.be/ZV5ONxl-mrI

Fucking crazy you can level up guardian spirit :-x holy shit.
Nioh is actually almost the evolution of Diablo I always wanted. It might not be quite up to snuff on some aspects like potential useful stat variety but it has a lot of cool options. Insanely fun customization.

Nioh 2 needs to get rid of William and just give us full character customization.
Especially after hearing that the story is kind of "ok".

crimilde

Banned
Where's that gif " nioh after x hours of play " with Kurosawa movies when we need it

On it!

16244456_1293820047342843_777417785_n.gif

IvorB

Well, I don't pay any mind to professional reviews but I guess many people still do so I'm glad this scored well. It improves the chances of the game doing well and also means brutally hard action games can find favour. Thanks for Fromsoft for blazing the trail.

Inuhanyou

Fucking crazy you can level up guardian spirit :-x holy shit.
Nioh is actually almost the evolution of Diablo I always wanted. It might not be quite up to snuff on some aspects like potential useful stat variety but it has a lot of cool options. Insanely fun customization.

Nioh 2 needs to get rid of William and just give us full character customization.
Especially after hearing that the story is kind of "ok".

I'd actually hope they double down on story but give a character customization option another form of play

Coxy100

Banned
Once you have finished a mission, that mission is cycled into the twilight mission cycle.

then you can play 2 random twilight missions from that "bundle" of twilight missions. One high level, and one low level..

That is at least what I have observed, but I have not played one of those yet... but they look to be completely random, so you can't chose which mission you want to play in Twilight mode. Unless I missed something..

what is a 'twilight' mission cycle?

TreIII

Not that reviews were going to sway me either way after enjoying all 3 demos, but hey, good to see others are enjoying it too!

Spot on, yup.

Your right on that account but you forgot one. Its a cross between Ninja Gaiden(pace of combat/depth of combat systems), Souls(general level design, and RPG mechanics), Onimusha(fusing your weapon with elemental bodies to fight oni in feudal era Japan, meeting historical figures) and Diablo(a lot of random loot drops and micro management).

Yes, this is pretty accurate.

+ Diablo-like loot and you're pretty on the money.

Thanks guys. Had no idea this had loot like Diablo!

I wonder if the complaints of story could be due to western reviewers not familiar with Sengoku period history and characters? I imagine these would have been common knowledge to most Japanese players by now so the emphasis might not have been so strong on explaining too much on them.

Hanmik

what is a 'twilight' mission cycle?

Like this..

Once you start the game, there are ZERO Twilight missions.
Once you have completed the first mission, 2 Twilight missions are available. One low and one high level.
Complete more missions, then those missions are unlocked for Twilight mode.

But you can't chose which mission to play. They are rotated randomly from the missions you have unlocked. So the game just cycles through the unlocked missions randomly..

Top Bottom