• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man’s Sky |OT| Next!

Tarkus98

An idea for the next update I've just tweeted Hello Games about:

A DNA analyser for your mining tool!

You simply point it at either flora or fauna and it analyses the DNA.

You would then be able to seed the flora DNA in a grow tray and once it's partially grown, take it outside and plant it. There would obviously have to be a limit on this in some way because of framerate problems. Putting 20 giant trees next to each other would likely break the game, especially when your base is also close by.

You would also get a new 'Incubator' in which you place the DNA for fauna. Once that has grown into a young fledgling, you can then place it in a pen.

There would be new building parts made available: A fence, a gate, shelters and feeding trays. Once you have built your ZOO (or farm if you're a little cruel), you are then tasked with feeding the creatures as you would in the wilds.

An automatic feeder would also be made available once your farm has more than 50% of the creatures on that planet

Of course you would also have to limit this per planet and have an 'incompatible Fauna or Flora' warning if you tried to move it to another planet.

So ... are you IN!?
I like this idea, a lot. A DNA scanner and your own zoo/farm would add a whole new dimension to this game. I would also like the option of being able cross breed animals as well as plants. Once a successful animal or plant is cross-bred, depending on how hearty it is you would be able to transport it to another planet, set it free and see what it would do to that ecosystem.
Maybe “mark” the creature so other explorers can see your creation and perhaps utilize it for their own Frankenstein creation.
Perhaps add the ability for some gene splicing and really make some crazy shit.
Of course all these creations can be properly logged and documented (by the creator)for reference. Might be cool to look back through a creations history to see what (and where) it started as and how many permutations it went through to get where it is now.

Grinchy

Banned
The base sharing stuff kinda doesn't make sense. I've been playing co-op and I built a teleporter on his base and it won't let me use the teleporter I made. I can't use the storage containers he put down either.

It also doesn't let me do the base buliding questline on the same planet as him. So basically, you have to each build bases on two separate planets, get through all the quests and get blueprints, and then if you both build a new base together on a new planet, you can't even both use the teleporter on it? How does that make any sense?

Kadayi

Banned
Apols about the big screen: -

37A17990A83CBAC820A69A5ACB4B1AD3C90B0CDE

Found that bad boy rooting around a ruin.

I basically went to a standard Artifact building with the knowledge stones, but when I interacted with the main part I elected to learn from the past, that then gave me directions to a set of ruins with 3 crates in them each of which contained an ancient key, a scan revealed a buried crate in the middle of the site which I unlocked with the keys and found the plant. I did the same with another location and got a bunch of ancient sticks worth 600K, so this ruin hunting is worth doing, especially early on.

Note: there are Gravitino Balls as these sites as well, but if you pick them up you get savaged by sentinels, save those for last and after you've saved.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still really enjoying getting back into this game. Third person is just much more enjoyable for me.

My one gripe is I wish there was something in between Creative and Normal mode as I mostly like the gathering and crafting (so I don't want to play on Creative), but it some of it does get old like having to recharge the mining beam, terrain manipulator etc. There's enough gathering/grinding just keeping the ship fueled, getting things to craft gear and upgrades and so on that it gets old to have to stop that and go get more carbon/ferrite to recharge the beams.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Damn it. Just got a crash on PS4 so I guess the update didn’t totally fix it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Try deleting the game, rebuilding your data base and then reinstalling the game + updates. I did that yesterday and haven't had a crash since.

Thanks. I got 4 more crashes so I’m doing that now since I’m done playing for the day.

Snoopycat

Banned
The only thing I don't like so far is my suit was all tricked out on my old save. When I loaded it all my protection upgrades that I spent ages mining for were wiped. Piss me right off, mostly because it was totally unneccesary

mitchman

Gold Member
The only thing I don't like so far is my suit was all tricked out on my old save. When I loaded it all my protection upgrades that I spent ages mining for were wiped. Piss me right off, mostly because it was totally unneccesary

You didn't get replacement modules called "obsolete technology" or similar that can be recycled to expensive tech modules thingies?

took some screenshots of Biological Horrors the other night ...

had already nicknamed the planet Pandora because of the poor jungle visibility, aggressive sentinels, constant and relentless slightly toxic and radioactive 150c boiling rainstorms

and then these things greet me upon landing lol -- the idea was to bomb their eggs from the air first but all it seemed to do was piss them off

screenshots:
z90eL1A.png

nope

Aug97qM.png

WrlPLxn.png

NOPE

lyKxaNx.png

NOPE NOPE NOPE

5hfX7aw.png

3n5Uc1Y.png

3yoYXaO.png

kSu5tmW.png

fuck this planet lol
was from this segment haha

was a really fun (but scary on permadeath) experience... but, seriously, fuck Pandora =p

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
First of all, this game is so much better, and it was so much better after each update, but this particular update has brought everything nicely together. I'm still noticing a few compromises the engine has to make. For instance, if you have high mountains, you can't have deep caves, and visa versa. I'm fine with this though and I'm certain they'll improve the height/depth ratio at some point in the future. It just means you can't really have extremely deep oceans unless the land itself is reasonably flat. All in all though, it's broader and deeper in terms of gameplay mechanics and some changes, such as material combinations are a great addition. But there's always a 'but' with me ... You should know that by now, so:

1: Remove the unit distances because it's of no consequence whatsoever. All it does is complicate for the sake of it. Just keep it as it was and give me the time it takes to get there. Unit distance for close up and time for further away is just silly in my opinion.

2: Reinstate the timers on the sentinels. I can only think of one reason they've done this, and that's the please the 'pew-pew' crowd. All they had to do is tweak the old system a little and they could have pleased both the explorers (which there are many and 'were' once the mainstay of the NMS community) and the battle orientated. It was ALWAYS the case that the timers varied and you'd sometimes have less or more time to deal with the sentinels before they called for back up. Now you don't really have an option unless you fancy killing every sentinel that comes your way. All you can do is run, which I see nearly everyone do on Youtube. Before this change, even explorers would take on a sentinel or two.

Adjust the sentinels and give them personalities, depending on the planet. Some could have 1 - 3 second timers, giving us the same result we're seeing now. Others could have 5 - 10 second timers, making it an urgent matter to kill them as soon as possible, while others could just be as they've always been. The change has removed that moment of panic you had when you wasn't sure you could deal with them fast enough. There's no point in killing them now.

Some examples of possible sentinel personalities. These (or whatever they decided to call them) could be information added to your scanners, giving us a very good reason to actually scan the sentinels:

Fickle: These sentinels vary in the time you get. It could be anywhere within a range of 1 - 20 seconds, depending on how they felt that day. That would add a moment of regret or relief once you see how fast the timer is moving.

Bully: These sentinels only ever give you 1 - 3 seconds before they call for back up. They're to be avoided at all cost unless you decide it's the day the worm turns.

Balanced: These sentinels give you between 10 - 20 seconds before calling calling for back up and are the pride of the Atlas.

Aggressive: These already exist, and I hate the little blighters.

3: Slow those clouds down by at least 50% and stop them broiling for 50% too. I'm not keen on watching a time laps in real time and it breaks the immersion in my opinion. Wind swept planets could increase those percentages whilst calm, idyllic planets could slow them further.

Last edited:

Redshirt

Banned
I'm really enjoying my time with it. I have some gripes, but I think it has its hooks in me.

All of my recent time has been on survival, and perhaps it's a bit too grindy and maybe that'll wear on me.

That said, it has a lot of what I love about Minecraft and some other survival games in such a cool setting and in a pretty polished package comparatively.

iconmaster

Banned
Could we promote this thread to the Next |OT|?

Picked up with a save from last September (almost a year ago!) and my ship and freighter were intact. Rebuilding my base, and have to acquire again a lot of technologies obsoleted by the update -- but not all. Still have my advanced mining laser, hazmat gauntlets, and a couple ship drive upgrades.

If you're a previous NMS player, don't feel like you have to start over. You'll be relearning a lot, but that's probably true no matter what.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Could we promote this thread to the Next |OT|?

Picked up with a save from last September (almost a year ago!) and my ship and freighter were intact. Rebuilding my base, and have to acquire again a lot of technologies obsoleted by the update -- but not all. Still have my advanced mining laser, hazmat gauntlets, and a couple ship drive upgrades.

Agreed. This should be retitled to be the OT.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks to the mods for the title change!

And damnit, still getting crashes on PS4 Pro even after deleting, rebuilding the database on the console and redownloading the game.

Mochilador

Do you really need to learn alien languages in order to buy upgrades? I'm still early in the game and can't understand these guys. :alien:

iconmaster

Banned
Thanks mods!

So, my strategy pre-Next was farming components for circuit boards and selling those. I had a pretty good system going. Now, circuit boards are microprocessors but the ingredients seem relatively unchanged. Working on getting my farm up and running again, but don't know if economically it's still a good idea.

Catphish

Co-op base building is working for me. Merging can be a little weird if you get out of sync.
So what do you have to do to get it to work? I've been trying with a friend, and we're having no success. If one of us starts a base, the other can't interact with it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks mods!

So, my strategy pre-Next was farming components for circuit boards and selling those. I had a pretty good system going. Now, circuit boards are microprocessors but the ingredients seem relatively unchanged. Working on getting my farm up and running again, but don't know if economically it's still a good idea.

Apparently crying pumps are the big money thing to craft post Next. Have to get the schematic to drop though.

https://kotaku.com/how-to-make-lots-of-money-in-no-mans-sky-next-1827967433

Grinchy

Banned
So what do you have to do to get it to work? I've been trying with a friend, and we're having no success. If one of us starts a base, the other can't interact with it.
We were able to get it to let us build pieces on each other's base, but we couldn't both interact with things like the teleporter, which really hurts the experience.

It made us wonder if it was even worth continuing since we don't know if it will even let us both farm at the same time on the same base.

Catphish

We were able to get it to let us build pieces on each other's base, but we couldn't both interact with things like the teleporter, which really hurts the experience.

It made us wonder if it was even worth continuing since we don't know if it will even let us both farm at the same time on the same base.
Exactly. Please let me know (PM, if you don't mind) how it plays out, should you choose to continue.

Redshirt

Banned
I don't have a really elaborate base, am on a new save and am kind of green, so...

But we can interact with some things, like refiners, but not portals, and we just thought that's the way it was.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I don't have a really elaborate base, am on a new save and am kind of green, so...

But we can interact with some things, like refiners, but not portals, and we just thought that's the way it was.

I haven't played co-op at all, but have you gotten to the point in the game where you can use the teleporters? I just got to where I could use them and teleport across space stations and to and from base using the base portal yesterday as I hit a part in the story where they got enabled.

Redshirt

Banned
I haven't played co-op at all, but have you gotten to the point in the game where you can use the teleporters? I just got to where I could use them and teleport across space stations and to and from base using the base portal yesterday as I hit a part in the story where they got enabled.

Yes. Teleporter. I called it a portal, but I think that's what I meant. It lets me go to any base I've constructed as well as any space station I've visited.

Built myself two small mining outposts so far ~

for context (3rd and 4th video), 'mining' and trading has always been my main focus, 250 hours in... so, this is how Mother Base looked as my 1.3 mining and farming base, and as my pre-mass biodome farms 1.2 mining base

(embedded videos)

Both of these are on yellow stellar star systems though. Still useful, though even moreso for the atmosphere harvesters lol since sulphurine and radon are a big part of either Freighter Fuel or Superconductors and I think Cryo-pumps. But phosphorous or copper or sodium, whatever I end up mining, sells maybe 50-200 units each, and doesn't produce that much Chromatic Metal. Even Emeril is like... 300-400 units each, Indium I think is 500 units each, Actived Emeril is 750 or so...

But Activated Indium (from blue stellar star systems) is about 950 units per (or like half million a stack), or makes something like 1000 chromatic metal refined.

So whenever I do choose to try rebuild my main mining 'Mother Base' I'm going to do it on an Activated Indium planet. Desert, preferably, but I'm not sure if that makes a good choice for other resources.... I think Uranium would be more practical than Copper, and I'm not sure I nee another set of Sulphurine atmosphere harvesters. But I'm pretty set on desert planets for aesthetics so probably still stick to that -- Uranium or Launcher Fuel is easy enough to buy from space stations anyhow and even a few stacks last forever.

(*it used to be a lot more Mother base inspired as seen here but because of base limits, I had to get rid of a lot of it to add a large biodome farm -- damn I was I still had the original base in 1.5 with the new limits)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
1.52 up folks! (PS4)

Mmmmm ... I just saw this and wondered if you can in fact get two upgrades to your exosuit at the space stations. Look closely at the exosuit unit:

iconmaster

Banned
Has anyone found a good resource (article or YouTube video) for bringing old players up to speed with all the changes? I don't mind learning the new features by trial and error but some of the really basic stuff -- you power your launch thrusters with launch fuel instead of plutonium -- I wouldn't mind just being told.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. Hoping 1.52 leads to fewer crashes for me on PS4 since the database rebuild and delete and reinstall of the game didn't help.

Kadayi

Banned
So why do some waypoints disappear when you enter your ship? I marked an alien artifact and the waypoint disappeared.

Waypoints need a major overhaul. It's annoying that waypoints do just randomly disappear (I second Hendricks on that), it's also equally annoying that the game will happily redirect you to a location you've visited before such as an artifact, ruin, crashed freighter, drop -pod etc.

Yesterday I found a small settlement with a sweet S grade Multi-tool in that was just out of my price range. I tagged the building and went off to raise some funds but of course the waypoint just straight up disappeared as some juncture .

I actually emailed Hello Games today to suggest they make a player craftable location beacon/marker or some such that you can drop at a point of interest. There would probably have to be a limit on the number you can use, but something like that would be super useful

You can actually send suggestions to them direct here: -

https://hellogames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Apparently, they do read them,

DryvBy

Has anyone found a good resource (article or YouTube video) for bringing old players up to speed with all the changes? I don't mind learning the new features by trial and error but some of the really basic stuff -- you power your launch thrusters with launch fuel instead of plutonium -- I wouldn't mind just being told.

I need this too. I'm so lost in this game.

VulcanRaven

The 3th person camera is great. I still play in first person most of the time but its good to have it there. It looks great but it is a little hard to pick up things. Looks great (PS4):

qTD8znu.jpg

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
By the way, the new slot capacity for the exosuit:

48: Normal
48: Cargo (it's best to search for drop pods with this one though, they get expensive to buy at spacestations)
14: Tech

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
48: Cargo (it's best to search for drop pods with this one though, they get expensive to buy at spacestations)

Expensive is an understatement. First one will cost you 50K, the second 150K were as a general slot starts at 5K. unless you're rolling in cash, far better to do the drop pod thing for sure, as the repair costs on those are the same regardless from what I can tell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom