• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man’s Sky |OT| Next!

Banned
So I’m debating whether to wait until the hot fix comes out for PS4 before continuing. I need my save game file to be ok and it’s been good so far but I’m not sure I want to risk it.

Copy your save to a USB jump drive for a backup. I do that for all of my games every so often.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Back in the saddle!

29801363308_7d4e09241a_o.png

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Got more crashes. I'm just going to write off the PS4 version and go back to my GoG install. Was a stupid impulse buy on Next launch day as GoG was the last to update, already played a little and it's just night and day with how much better it looks on ultra settings on pc, stable 60 FPS etc. Nice have my ship, suit and multi tool with a bunch of slots instead of having to grind them out again too.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMikado

Banned
Got more crashes. I'm just going to write off the PS4 version and go back to my GoG install. Was a stupid impulse buy on Next launch day as GoG was the last to update, already played a little and it's just night and day with how much better it looks on ultra settings on pc, stable 60 FPS etc. Nice have my ship, suit and multi tool with a bunch of slots instead of having to grind them out again too.

No Mans Sky Patch 1.51 live NOW on PS4.
Downloading as we speak. Will be playing in the next 5 minutes.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
No Mans Sky Patch 1.51 live NOW on PS4.
Downloading as we speak. Will be playing in the next 5 minutes.

Glad it's out. I can't go back after seeing how much better it looks/runs on PC though. Stupid impulse buy on PS4 the other day....oh well, I don't mind throwing them some more money for all the updates they've put into the game.

TheMikado

Banned
Glad it's out. I can't go back after seeing how much better it looks/runs on PC though. Stupid impulse buy on PS4 the other day....oh well, I don't mind throwing them some more money for all the updates they've put into the game.

Playing it now definite bug fixes, better atmosphere but bugs when skimming planet atmospheric area.

Their base tutorial still sucks and I can’t get it to work...

Grey Specter

Neo Member
I haven’t played since the original release how much of a change is all this and the other expansions. I put about 30 hours into the original and enjoyed it but got a bit bored and then my save file corrupted and I was done.

Will this blow my mind or is it all hype again?

It's definitely different and I would recommend creating a new save file solely for it anyway. It's not a different game, but where the original seemed to have great emphasis on using planets as skipping stones to get to destinations, the update seems to encourage remaining on one planet for at least half an hour to an hour or so.

Base building is pretty interesting, there's a denser story and the planets look a bit more well designed. The UI has also gone through big changes, and there are things like refining materials in refineries which adds a very slight layer of depth. I heard there's also customisation, and there's a third person view which looks pretty good actually.

It won't blow your mind but I'll be damned if this isn't the biggest and greatest update I've ever seen in a game.

TheMikado

Banned
So even after the update I’ve given up, someone hit me up when we have a sure fire way of locating of a base in the wild and restoring it. Or at least how this restor base quest is supposed to work if I can’t find a habitable base to restore from.

Redshirt

Banned
The Skull's suggestion seem to have helped. FPS is still unpredictable in co-op.

Really don't like how the interface was presumably made for the PS4 and then ported to the PC.

Also, not being able to access trade windows in co-op at the same time is really frustrating.

Otherwise, really enjoy co-op survival.

Last edited:
^you know what, third-person in this game helps remind me why first-person for Cyberpunk 2077 is such a good idea haha

third-person can be fun on occassion but with so much of this game focused on up closer interactions or focused on game interiors (bases and freighters are all very dense areas), I find myself usually still playing in first-person to better see the details I'm interacting with and to get a clearer (more eye level) view of interiors.

same reason I wouldn't play Deus Ex or Minecraft in third-person I guess... dense interiors, but even when outside, the focus is on up-close interactions.

that said, it's cool they added it and I switch to third-person on occasion because it looks sexy haha ... and I admit I like seeing my 'exosuit' now that we can customize it -- a big reason why third-person is a must in fantasy RPGs

that and obviously you're focused less on mining stuff up close and more on vast orange sunrises ;)

TheMikado

Banned
So even after the update I’ve given up, someone hit me up when we have a sure fire way of locating of a base in the wild and restoring it. Or at least how this restor base quest is supposed to work if I can’t find a habitable base to restore from.

It took me more than 15 hours but I finally recovered my darn base. It’s rendered with a ton of bug but who cares since I have my farm back. Now I finally buy up an Armada.

Kadayi

Banned
The third person animations are weird. I guess i'll go back to first person.

I've been playing in 3rd person, but I must admit I find it awkward to target the small red boxes or pick up stuff like Sodium or Oxygen from plants with the janky camera. I might well swap back to first person, and keep 3rd person just for flying.

So I converted an old save last night and I got the glitch where you don't get a blueprint analyser. Does this patch allow me to make those now? There's a lot I can't do without it, and I've been trying for 15 minutes to see if this fixes it but so far no go.

I've been playing in 3rd person, but I must admit I find it awkward to target the small red boxes or pick up stuff like Sodium or Oxygen from plants with the janky camera. I might well swap back to first person, and keep 3rd person just for flying.

This. And when you run on uneven terrain the body has this jerky movement. It's a shame because otherwise i'd enjoy 3rd person more.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The third person animations are weird. I guess i'll go back to first person.

Yeah, and they've infected the inhabitants of NMS too. Tonally, Hello Games have dropped their trousers and taken a big steaming dump on the game. It's gone from Luke Slywalker to Ja-Ja Binks.

TheMikado

Banned
It took me more than 15 hours but I finally recovered my darn base. It’s rendered with a ton of bug but who cares since I have my farm back. Now I finally buy up an Armada.

Alright so I’m cruising a lot now, with my rebuilt land and freighter bases and frigates I know have a steady stream of income. Just wish I could own multiple capital ships.

Tarkus98

Yes, and that's how you take pictures in Photo Mode. Photo mode is my thing. I just wonder if Hello Games are aware you can change how you use it. I've got mine reconfigured for just one press of the 'share' button and I'm wondering if it's not configured for that. I sent a twitter to them but I doubt they'll answer:

36891433606_1a8733d535_b.jpg

35435800684_8db8c9f98a_b.jpg
I also have mine configured the same way as yours and so far I have not had any problems doing the pic quests. Doesn’t mean there isn’t a bug though, I might have just gotten lucky

Tarkus98

I haven’t figured it out yet either so you’re not alone. Frustrating.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I also have mine configured the same way as yours and so far I have not had any problems doing the pic quests. Doesn’t mean there isn’t a bug though, I might have just gotten lucky

Other people are having the same problem even with the default configuration, so you're just lucky, or I'm unlucky ...

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yeah, it seems a lot of the bugs are real hit or miss. I have faith HG will get things ironed out though, may just take another patch or two.

One thing I want them to do immediately is slow the movement of the clouds down 'generally' by 90% (adjust according to wind levels), and cut their broiling down by 90% too (unless it's a strange alien world).

Last edited:

Tarkus98

One thing I want them to do immediately is slow the movement of the clouds down 'generally' by 90% (adjust according to wind levels), and cut their broiling down by 90% too (unless it's a strange alien world).
Lol, the clouds are really bothering you. It’s actually one of the first things I noticed because of your earlier posts mentioning them. They are kinda cool to fly through though.

Grinchy

Banned
The game just lost my progress on one of the quest lines. It took me back like 3 parts of the quest out of nowhere. Weird bug and kind of annoying because now the person I'm co-oping with is further ahead and I can't help build the base stuff until I go do the awful questline on my own a second time.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I need to ask about the base building because I'm not sure if my game is bugged. Normally you'd hire the Overseer first (the mechanic workstation is already available from the start) and then the Overseeing will give you the Scientist workstation, the weapon workstation and the farming workstation. I did not get the Overseer but instead went straight to the scientist (no mechanic workstation so far). I've now completed all the scientist quests but still haven't got the Overseer, the mechanic, the farming or the weapon workstation.

I'm just going back to the base every 1 hour and a half to download data, where I get given some tech. Should I have got the Overseer first or has this changed?

VulcanRaven

How do I get Carbon Nanotubes? I need that to fix my Analysis Visor and for multi-tool upgrades. I don't remember getting any blueprints for it. I continued my old save that I started before Next.

Last edited:
How do I get Carbon Nanotubes? I need that to fix my Analysis Visor and for multi-tool upgrades. I don't remember getting any blueprints for it. I continued my old save that I started before Next.

Should be able to build it right off the bat in your inventory. Just requires metal plates to build.

Kadayi

Banned
Uggh. Got a Freighter sent a frigate off on a couple if mission, First went ok, but the second the Frigate got damaged. However albeit it's supposed to have returned home, the icon is slap bang in the middle of a planet.....*sigh*

Saving and then returning sorted it out thankfully.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got time to play again and just realized there's not Multiplayer in the GoG version--it's delayed until later in the year. Super lame, but GoG is awesome and offering refunds (well GoG wallet credit) for all owners regardless of time of purchase. I'm taking advantage of that and will just stick with the PS4 version--downloading the update for that now.

https://www.gog.com/news/extended_refund_policy_for_no_mans_sky

And wow, already got the $59.99 credit (had bought at launch) in my account, they must have it automated. So that worked out great getting that back and having bought the PS4 version for $26.99.

If anyone else has it on GoG, the refund option is only through tomorrow (July 29, 10:00 PM UTC ).

Redshirt

Banned
Finally got time to play again and just realized there's not Multiplayer in the GoG version--it's delayed until later in the year. Super lame, but GoG is awesome and offering refunds (well GoG wallet credit) for all owners regardless of time of purchase. I'm taking advantage of that and will just stick with the PS4 version--downloading the update for that now.

https://www.gog.com/news/extended_refund_policy_for_no_mans_sky

And wow, already got the $59.99 credit in my account, they must have it automated. So that worked out great getting that back and having bought the PS4 version for $26.99.

If anyone else has it on GoG, the refund option is only through tomorrow (July 29, 10:00 PM UTC ).

GOG is awesome. The cynic in me feels like this is more a DRM thing than an actual logistical challenge.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I deleted the game, rebuilt the database, reinstalled the game + update and haven't had a crash in 8 hours. However ... I still don't know if the base building quests are broken. It very much looks exactly the same as it was before and there's no Overseer in sight. Is the scientist the first and ONLY NPC to get at your base now because last time I finished his quest line and had no opportunity to hire the Overseer, the farmer, the mechanic or the armourer.

Kagey K

Banned
I deleted the game, rebuilt the database, reinstalled the game + update and haven't had a crash in 8 hours. However ... I still don't know if the base building quests are broken. It very much looks exactly the same as it was before and there's no Overseer in sight. Is the scientist the first and ONLY NPC to get at your base now because last time I finished his quest line and had no opportunity to hire the Overseer, the farmer, the mechanic or the armourer.

I had to hire the overseer, then the scientist, now it wants me to build a weapon terminal but the terminal doesn’t appear in my build menu.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I had to hire the overseer, then the scientist, now it wants me to build a weapon terminal but the terminal doesn’t appear in my build menu.

When did you get the overseer? Was it before or after you get the first storage container? And where did you hire him and what were your instructions?

Kagey K

Banned
I had to build a structural cylinder at my base, after that they wanted me to build a construction terminal, once I built that terminal they asked me to go to the space station and hire him.

After I did all that they got me to do the science stuff. Essentially they same. I now have my scientist hooked to his new convergence and They want me to build a weapon terminal, but I don’t know how to build it. It didn’t just show up in my build list like the other 2.

I should note that all those happened after I did one of the main quest lines where an alien is lost and he wants me to triangulate my coordinates, then they suggest I expand my base in order to attract more or something.

Can’t remember the name of the questline, but now they want me to take down sentinels to continue it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I’ve gotten no crashes on PS4 since the update.

Just found a really cool planet. Beautiful rainy planet with orange grass and a lot of plants and animals (including a T-Rex like one). Frequent heat storms though.

Banned
Well, hell. I'm playing a Creative Mode save and I'm on this gorgeous planet. Found a Gek stone and after "talking" to it, I got a message that it gave me coordinates and to consult galaxy map. I don't see anything in the map. Is this a Creative Mode glitch?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I had to build a structural cylinder at my base, after that they wanted me to build a construction terminal, once I built that terminal they asked me to go to the space station and hire him.

After I did all that they got me to do the science stuff. Essentially they same. I now have my scientist hooked to his new convergence and They want me to build a weapon terminal, but I don’t know how to build it. It didn’t just show up in my build list like the other 2.

I should note that all those happened after I did one of the main quest lines where an alien is lost and he wants me to triangulate my coordinates, then they suggest I expand my base in order to attract more or something.

Can’t remember the name of the questline, but now they want me to take down sentinels to continue it.

Ah, I wonder if not building the circular room bugged my game and so it didn't register in the Log? I'll do that as soon as I get it this time and hope the mission appears.

Snakey125

Been playing with a couple of my buddies. Problem we have is that the quests for the base stuff is glitched for them and I'm unable to get them on my main, older save from the last big update.

So far, I like it a lot more.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
An idea for the next update I've just tweeted Hello Games about:

A DNA analyser for your mining tool!

You simply point it at either flora or fauna and it analyses the DNA.

You would then be able to seed the flora DNA in a grow tray and once it's partially grown, take it outside and plant it. There would obviously have to be a limit on this in some way because of framerate problems. Putting 20 giant trees next to each other would likely break the game, especially when your base is also close by.

You would also get a new 'Incubator' in which you place the DNA for fauna. Once that has grown into a young fledgling, you can then place it in a pen.

There would be new building parts made available: A fence, a gate, shelters and feeding trays. Once you have built your ZOO (or farm if you're a little cruel), you are then tasked with feeding the creatures as you would in the wilds.

An automatic feeder would also be made available once your farm has more than 50% of the creatures on that planet

Of course you would also have to limit this per planet and have an 'incompatible Fauna or Flora' warning if you tried to move it to another planet.

So ... are you IN!?

Top Bottom