• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Pretty sure it is on PC, and I'm therefore guessing PS4, too

Man... I took the plunge last night and started the whole crashed ship process, but only got three ships in before I had to quit.

I guess it's a good thing I dismantled all my upgrades; hopefully this is reflected in NPC ships so the prices aren't tens of millions again.

Stoffinator

How the hell do you 100% a planet?

I have 2 species left, there are no birds on this planet and no water. I walked for an hour across cliffs and through caves and couldn't find the last 2 species.....

I have the same issue right now too. If you use L2 it will show little white dots. Those are animals/plants that you have not scanned. Sadly it is broken. :-\

I'm surprised at all of the crashing reports on PS4 honestly. It's been the only thing running on my PS4 since I bought it, and I've never had a crash.

I've been playing NMS for 20+ hours now on my PC/Steam version.

I haven't had a single crash either.

I think Sean is right - only 1% of players are having issues; so, chances are those 1% are right here on Gaf or Reddit while everyone else is happily playing the game with very few, if any, issues.

jond76

Banned
I have the same issue right now too. If you use L2 it will show little white dots. Those are animals/plants that you have not scanned. Sadly it is broken. :-

Nope. White dots are self placed waypoints, like when you scan an installation. Red dots show unscanned animals.

I have the same issue right now too. If you use L2 it will show little white dots. Those are animals/plants that you have not scanned. Sadly it is broken. :-

Us this true? I know it shows white dots if the creatures are far away or obscured by land mass or something, but once you get them in your visibility range they change to green for discovered and red for undiscovered. Seemed simple enough to me, if it's broken I wouldn't have realized it.

Alebrije

Sorry but that dot mechanics do not works hope they improve it becuase find the last 2 animals on a planet is hard sometimes.

oakenhild

I've been playing NMS for 20+ hours now on my PC/Steam version.

I haven't had a single crash either.

I think Sean is right - only 1% of players are having issues; so, chances are those 1% are right here on Gaf or Reddit while everyone else is happily playing the game with very few, if any, issues.

Yup same here for me on PC. I haven't had a single crash, and I get a solid 60fps with my 970 at 1080p. The game has been rock solid for me so far after 15 hours of /played.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I have the same issue right now too. If you use L2 it will show little white dots. Those are animals/plants that you have not scanned. Sadly it is broken. :-\

Nope. White dots are self placed waypoints, like when you scan an installation. Red dots show unscanned animals.
Haha, I hadn't actually seen much posted about this, I will add this to the tips and tricks post.

While holding L2:

White dots with a blinking "radar" ring around them indicate animals that are somewhat far off- too far to detect if they are discovered yet or not. Follow them to get close enough.
Green dots indicate already-discovered creatures.
Red dots indicate creatures not yet discovered.

The white waypoint dots look a little different.
Us this true? I know it shows white dots if the creatures are far away or obscured by land mass or something, but once you get them in your visibility range they change to green for discovered and red for undiscovered. Seemed simple enough to me, if it's broken I wouldn't have realized it.
Nope you're 100% right. Works pretty well in my opinion- only thing is that it can't help you all that much when you're down to say, 1 or 2 creatures left.

I have heard that on the discovery page, animals are listed in rows grouped together like Sky, Land, Water or something but I haven't looked into that yet.

Static white dots are self placed waypoints, but little pulsing white dots are fauna that are out of your normal scanning range. When you see those, get closer and they turn into regular animal dots.

You're both correct. There are two types of this white dot: One for flora/fauna and one for waypoints.

Dredd97

Yup same here for me on PC. I haven't had a single crash, and I get a solid 60fps with my 970 at 1080p. The game has been rock solid for me so far after 15 hours of /played.

Brofist pump!..

same here, and I'm even running it with DSR on :)

that GTX 970 is the best graphics card I've ever owned :D

IvanJ

Banned
Downloaded the patch, but not before backing up my save to the cloud, just to be on the safe side.

I played this morning, thought for a while to upgrade my ship by seeking out crashed ships, but gave up quickly. 30 slots is perfectly enough for what I need.

So, basically I decided to warp to the center. With all 3 upgrades I jump about 700-900 LY (since it's still not a straight shot). To make it less boring, after the jump I boost down to the planet, fly around a bit between POIs and collect V1 containers to stock up on Antimatter, mine some Heridium and pick up some Zinc (which shows up nicely on scans).
Then I leave, blow up some asteroids for Thamium and off I warp.

All you need for warping is:
- Heridium
- Zinc
- Thamium

and Plutonium and Carbon, but that is in unlimited quantities everywhere.

No need for a lot of inventory space, no need for farming or hoarding, if you wish to explore the planet all you need is plutonium and iron or carbon for flying and life support...
Added bonus, I don't get attacked by pirates because I have nothing of value (of course, maybe that is random, but I have not been attacked or even scanned a single time since slumming it).
That way I have no need to build ship's guns or shields, so I saved some time and grinding there.

Wtf, my game used to run perfectly but now with the patch it runs like dogshit, the beggining intro takes forever. Is there anyway to revert the patch?

Edit: The intro took like 5 minutes, but now it actually runs better, forget what i said.

Elandyll

Banned
Weird issue about crash (PS4) last night. It was crashing every time I was trying to get a new Multi Tool update in a specific Outpost. I could repeat the crash evwry time I was trying that.

Anyways...

Finally got my V1 Pass last Night, still having a blast (got on my first "Arctic" planet, with a very small layer of Snow) and hoping to get to a Gek system before they patch it out, but haven't been in a single one yet (Korvax or Vykeen everyvtime), in spite of having had 1 Gek merchant at an Outpost once.

Got a nice looking 24 slot Multi Tool though, and found a crashed ship with 1 more (23) slot.
Suit coming along at 25 slots.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Downloaded the patch, but not before backing up my save to the cloud, just to be on the safe side.

I played this morning, thought for a while to upgrade my ship by seeking out crashed ships, but gave up quickly. 30 slots is perfectly enough for what I need.

So, basically I decided to warp to the center. With all 3 upgrades I jump about 700-900 LY (since it's still not a straight shot). To make it less boring, after the jump I boost down to the planet, fly around a bit between POIs and collect V1 containers to stock up on Antimatter, mine some Heridium and pick up some Zinc (which shows up nicely on scans).
Then I leave, blow up some asteroids for Thamium and off I warp.

All you need for warping is:
- Heridium
- Zinc
- Thamium

and Plutonium and Carbon, but that is in unlimited quantities everywhere.

No need for a lot of inventory space, no need for farming or hoarding, if you wish to explore the planet all you need is plutonium and iron or carbon for flying and life support...
Added bonus, I don't get attacked by pirates because I have nothing of value (of course, maybe that is random, but I have not been attacked or even scanned a single time since slumming it).
That way I have no need to build ship's guns or shields, so I saved some time and grinding there.
Nice, yeah around 30 will be fine for my needs as well I believe. :)

Per the bold, definitely not random, you'll actually get a message concerning it if you have valuable cargo, something like "hostile scan - valuable cargo detected"

mokeyjoe

Depending on the planet that's easier said than done.. and the fact it EVER happens is bad. It might be somewhat rare, but it's annoying as fuck when it happens.

Well I landed on a planet yesterday rocketed sideways for miles and then fell through the surface. Ended up floating around in its liquid centre looking up at the trees with no way out.

Managed to grenade my way back to solid ground. It was only a 6 minute hike back to my ship and the snow planet was pretty scenic, so no harm done. Freaked me out a bit at the time though.

nikos

I just came across a space station with no alien inside. First time that has happened.

Also noticing that, as I hop through systems, ships are getting exponentially more expensive while offering not much of an upgrade.

molnizzle

Is there a way to make the game recalculate your route to the center while taking your upgraded hyperdrive into account? Currently I'm just eyeballing systems roughly 1500ly away that appear to be in a straight line between my current location and the center, but it always ends up only getting me like 400ly closer to the center. Is there a more efficient way? At 162k away that's a shitload of jumps at only 300-400ly a pop.

venomenon

Almost the same here.
Had exactly one random crash in almost 50h, plus one reproducable crash when interacting with a multi-tool tech terminal. No performance issues whatsoever.

But of course people are going to declare the "1% of players" line another lie.

mokeyjoe

I just came across a space station with no alien inside. First time that has happened.

Also noticing that, as I hop through systems, ships are getting exponentially more expensive while offering not much of an upgrade.

It may depend what you're carrying in your inventory, apparently that can skew ship prices.

Hoodbury

Are there any patch notes? Nevermind, checked back a couple pages and saw it's just bug fixes.

Off to try and craft a warp drive. :)

jond76

Banned
I just purposely downgraded my multitool slots because the setup in the smaller one was waaay better. Anyone ever do that?

mokeyjoe

Are there any patch notes? Nevermind, checked back a couple pages and saw it's just bug fixes.

Off to try and craft a warp drive. :)

Coming soon apparently. The previous patch just said bug fixes too, but included content.

With that said they seem pretty focused on actual bug fixes this time.

(ninja posting at the day job)

If you are going to expand your ship by finding crashed ships, make sure you have lots (and I mean stacks of)

Heridium
Iron (to make Carlite)

All you need to repair to make it functional is the boosters and pulse engine. I suggest the shield as well or you will get an annoying warning sound until you fix them.

Danlord

I just purposely downgraded my multitool slots because the setup in the smaller one was waaay better. Anyone ever do that?

I did that with my ship, since I don't care for the offensive guns, since I use the mining laser with upgrades, so it means I have an extra storage slot for my hoarding needs.

How do you find crashed ships? One of those beacon things that needs a bypass chip? What do you scan for?

Use those beacons that require a bypass chip. select transmission and there is a chance it will locate a transmission tower for you, and those will lead to the crashed ships.

E92 M3

long shot, this is a weird note but he doesn't have a full inventory does he? I've seen people suggest freeing up at least one slot in suit and ship before warping...

He does have free space. I told him to die on a planet to "refresh the save." Will see if this works.

molnizzle

I did that with my ship, since I don't care for the offensive guns, since I use the mining laser with upgrades, so it means I have an extra storage slot for my hoarding needs.

I'm the opposite, just fully upgraded guns and mine asteroids with those. I don't like having to switch. On foot I fuck up sentinels with my mining laser too. =)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ha, yeah, with my multitool and with my ship once each. Finally had some luck with multitool upgrades in one of the Atlas systems and traded up to an 18 slot. Feels downright luxurious

Embearded

The game won't save my progress after the patch. It just freezes for a couple of seconds and then it continues normally but if i go to options then the current save isn't the one i just did.

Top Bottom