• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

somme

Still online!

And also just noticed that the blue-print machine is now off. I'm guessing that's because I've already got all the blue prints, which I had assumed by now, with the machine being off, I guess it's confirmed!

EDIT: Actually, everything at this outpost seems to be off. The transmission terminal won't work either. Shall check another Shelter.

EDIT2: It appears it was just that Shelter. Didn't think I'd been to it before, but, er, maybe I had. My mistake!

I haven't checked out any spoilers - but I'm starting to think the Atlas path is just going to slowly fill my inventory with Stones for very little reward in the end. Confirm/Deny?

It's probably not the end you're hoping for / looking for, but it is for a thing. You also need 10 total.

I'd suggest trying to find upgrade slots for your and investing in that. Comes in handy and feels amazing once you actually have all that room to play with.

I'm the opposite, just fully upgraded guns and mine asteroids with those. I don't like having to switch. On foot I fuck up sentinels with my mining laser too. =)

The ship photon cannon is far superior than the laser once fully upgraded. It's not even a fair comparison.

I have both nearly maxed. I need to hunt down 200 Omegons for the last upgrade.

renzollo

Banned
They didn't fix the launching into space glitch with 1.04 on PS4.

Happened twice in a row.

Fucking hell HG, fix this. No excuse for something so simple to be broken.

Or make it an available option for a different input combination...because it would actually be really helpful if you could do it by choice.

So I've only played the game for about 4 hours or so. I'm on my third planet and I have some questions:

- How do I get an AtlasPass?
- What is the most efficient way to free up space in my inventory? I try stacking elements but it won't work for some reason
- Is there any way to upgrade stuff without using an inventory slot?

I'll come back when I think of more.

I haven't checked out any spoilers - but I'm starting to think the Atlas path is just going to slowly fill my inventory with Stones for very little reward in the end. Confirm/Deny?

You get the ability to see black holes on the galaxy map after you complete it.

noomi

Hmm does the Gek transmission crashed ship thing still work?

I just got a 29 slot so I have a bit to go....

To each their own! I'd get bored really quickly if I did it, so sticking to just buying conventionally haha.

Even without the glitch, I was able to go from a 33 slot to 48 slot in about 9 hours. Don't think I could have gotten to 48 slot from simply mining. They cost like 130 million.

neoism

I got one crash after the patch but then restarted the console and everything was pretty smooth since then. I didn't plan to play at all today, just loaded it up to see if anything obvious changed in the patch. Ended up visiting 5 planets and did 4 more jumps.

yeah i played earlier this morn before ge patch just loaded after it installed didnt see much different... but the double option press still crashes the game every time.

WTF? Is this something later in the game? Not seen a Gek tower yet!

I didn't use the gek glitch, just the regular method of transmission towers.

I saw a 48-slotter for 60 mil. I think it's based on ship upgrades.

That's definitely possible. Might also be influenced by your current ship, cuz mine was a totally pimped out 48 slot and I saw a 46 slot for 125 million.

you are correct. Was extremely underwhelming.

Very nice. Did you happen to find a number of waypoints (ruins, structures, etc..) that had been generated deep underwater? How about any structures underwater that had an NPC in it?

Not yet. Is a very harsh planet so I haven't explored yet as have been gathering mats on other planets to build the next hyperdrive but i'm still in that system so I'll be heading back later.
I did find shark like fish.

Because getting stuck in geometry is worse? Do you normally land on flat surfaces? I've had this happen once out of 200 landings

I have it happen in a huge chunk of my landings and it's irritating as hell. You know how many times have I gotten launched into a forced space battle while trying to mine resources? Over 10 times. I have lost so much time because of this stupid bug.

I got launched into space over 30 times.

Muzicfreq

Banned
1d2f3fdf08b345d99d07abaf71ed0444.png

So I wonder what will be added for the people screaming "LIES" to be quieted

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really enjoying the game now that I've gotten settled into the gameplay loop and the new patch (experimental ones weren't available on GOG) on PC has it running great for me.

I can definitely see why it's so divisive though, as you really have to enjoy just exploring and gathering resources to enjoy the game. Even the other gameplay loops the put out videos for aren't really relevant as the combat is lame and the trading is pretty much covered by resource gathering and doesn't have the complexities of finding lucrative trade routes of something like Elite Dangerous.

Great for me as the exploration was what appealed to me, but I can see why it's boring to people who don't enjoy exploring for explorations sake to discover things, gather resources to upgrade things etc.

Only thing that gets a little tedious is having to recharge the things that just use Plutonium. It's not scarce at all, so it's just an annoyance to have to mine it now and then and go into the menus to recharge things often. Hopefully some PC mods will remove some of that stuff, I'd be happier not recharging launch boosters, mining laser, bolt caster etc. and focusing more on uninterrupted exploration. I'd leave the life support related stuff as is to keep the survival element relevant on toxic/harsh environment planets.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I like the title change.
So I've only played the game for about 4 hours or so. I'm on my third planet and I have some questions:

- How do I get an AtlasPass?
- What is the most efficient way to free up space in my inventory? I try stacking elements but it won't work for some reason
- Is there any way to upgrade stuff without using an inventory slot?

I'll come back when I think of more.
Check some of this stuff:
  • Beginner Tips & Tricks (Bunch of stuff here including how to boost dash to get around planets quicker, stripping crashed ships for parts, finding early exosuit upgrades, grouping tech for bonuses, etc.)
  • How to Set On-planet Waypoints (While limited for now, this works to find your way back to points of interest on planets you don't want to lose.)
  • The AtlasPass and You (Info on how to get the AtlasPass V1 and what it can do for you.)
  • Ship Progression Guide (credit to HalfBakedProphet, a look at some of the logistics behind acquiring better ships and example plans you can follow to do so.)

The AtlasPass one should point you in the right direction. You can stack more in your ship than your suit inventory, and transfer stuff between them if you're in range. You should seek out some drop pods to expand your suit slots early though, it's well worth it. Upgrade tech takes an inventory slot, so it's a trade of the space for the benefit. All upgrades stack, and if you group like kinds of tech together they will also get a bonus boost.

Even without the glitch, I was able to go from a 33 slot to 48 slot in about 9 hours. Don't think I could have gotten to 48 slot from simply mining. They cost like 130 million.

It's partially based on what upgrades you have on your current ship. If your ship is all decked out, the ships you're going to purchase will be similarly upgraded and have a much higher cost. If you strip your ship bare and go ship shopping, those ships will be much, MUCH cheaper (though with far fewer upgrades). I ground out distress beacons to get a fully decked out 48-slot fighter ship, and the highest priced 48 slot ship I've seen in the Space Stations was 168 million.

Not yet. Is a very harsh planet so I haven't explored yet as have been gathering mats on other planets to build the next hyperdrive but i'm still in that system so I'll be heading back later.
I did find shark like fish.

Underwater I've found abandoned facilities, ruins, plaques (monoliths), and regular save waypoints. I haven't yet found a shelter or facility underwater with functioning doors that open and close.

Flora AND Fauna not present? Are you on a barren rock? Love to see a screenshot of that since I haven't been on one completely devoid of life.

So is the scanner picking up red dots moving about ? Or is it pinging faint grey ones?

Sorry for the late reply. Yeah it's completely barren:
nomanssky_20160817203hxr6z.png

I also never noticed a sun rise which is weird, spend a lot of time farming as there was a space port thing.
I think there should be more empty planets to give planets with life more significance but oh well. Also TBH the empty planets do not feel that empty when you still have all those bases etc. on it haha

nomanssky_201608172111kyti.png

nomanssky_20160817205w6zn6.png

and here are the white ghost dots. They never turned red as they seemed to be always out of my reach. Probably just a bug and was meant for the pod things which you cannot scan.
nomanssky_20160817203vcbma.png

Alebrije

lol why are you "compelled"? This is the NMS OT. We know about the reddit post, about crowbcat's super edgy roast vid, about the jurassic park "viral sensation of the week", etc... as there are separate threads already for each of those things here on GAF. Nobody here is in some sort of denial bubble. The game's got issues; some technical, some QoL, etc.. but in general people here are focused on playing the game (or trying to) instead of spending bandwidth on message board talking about how proud they are of themselves for not playing it.

Now this. This shit I love. Every time I pop into the OT or photo thread I see things I haven't come across yet. Really great shot here

eaeaf26d06.jpg

This is basically the planet I started the game , nice flora,water and ambient. Have no even tried to move to other solar systems because every 30 seconds I finds pods or stations or language rocks ..my exosuit is almost improved to 100% , only need to find one last animal and will say farewell to this great planet..

One of the animals was basically an Alien baby , predator than lived on caves I killed one and basically every time I find them they run to attack me ,like they know I killed their bro...it seems that if your kill one animal basically on automatic all the other ones of the same specie behave aggressively.

Unicorn

Honestly the "real" soler system model would actually break one of Sean's other things he mentioned.

He wanted to have the planets closer than they really would be to mimic the artistic science fiction covers and movies where you would see multiple moons or planets on the horizon

If they had actual star system properties you would lose much of this effect

Also I could potentially see it as a confusing task as to where you are with planetary rotation built into that as well.
One of the other issues I could see is you see the trade route lines in the areas in which those would have to follow the roations and AI would need far more programming.

So at some point there had to be a trade off and my guess they wanted to have artistic vision over programming

Spore modeled solar systems with orbit and rotation and still had beautiful nearby planets - ringed and gas giant planets even. Shit's possible.

besada

Banned
Also, earlier today I parked on a tree so tall that when I fell out of my ship, I couldn't get back to it. I tried jetpacking up and entering, and nearly killed myself. I wound up walking to a ship calling station to get my ship back.

Handy Fake

Also, earlier today I parked on a tree so tall that when I fell out of my ship, I couldn't get back to it. I tried jetpacking up and entering, and nearly killed myself. I wound up walking to a ship calling station to get my ship back.

So lifelike. ;)

Danlord

Wonder what would happen if you mined the tree.
When I park on the mountain, I tried to destroy the terrain it was standing on to see what happens, but it just makes a bit of the environment underneath the ship immune from terraforming to stop just that. But trees however..

Ambitious

This is just basically paging for a certain post from Griss.. I'll have to look it up.

Here we go:

Well, I'm gonna keep playing for a while longer. Let's see whether I find some outliers.

Then don't, no point playing a game you aren't enjoying. Trading in stations is generally quicker and easier than farming stuff like Emeril to make money.

Is it? So far I haven't really bothered with trading, but I'll give it a try.

Don't bother with those, warp until you find a planet with one of these:
Vortex Cubes
Gravitron Balls
Sac Venom
Pearls

They sell for 20k each. With an inventory full I make 1.2 per trip.

I found a bunch of gravitron balls, but I went back to farming Emeril after realizing that they don't stack. And constantly having to flee from Sentinels sucks too. Haven't found any of the others so far.

somme

I've been on quite a few completely barren worlds. To me, they're just as beautiful as the lush ones.

tumblr_obuqqg9hu51vcevjdo6_1280.jpg

I've been disconnected from the servers now. Was connected for almost an hour, which is progression at least.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I have it happen in a huge chunk of my landings and it's irritating as hell. You know how many times have I gotten launched into a forced space battle while trying to mine resources? Over 10 times. I have lost so much time because of this stupid bug.

I got launched into space over 30 times.

Yeah, ignore that dude.. he's making it sound like it's our damn fault the game is glitched.

It's really annoying when you are mining with a shop nearby and have to find all of it again after you head back down. It's stupid, it's not my fault, and they should fix it.

Alebrije

I've been on quite a few completely barren worlds. To me, they're just as beautiful as the lush ones.

tumblr_obuqqg9hu51vcevjdo6_1280.jpg

I've been disconnected from the servers now. Was connected for almost an hour, which is progression at least.

As a fan on Lovercraft barren worlds are welcome , looking for that "At the mountains of madness feel", also Prometheus movie landscapes...

Septimius

So I updated. Immediate reactions:

- perhaps the varying height bug is gone. I'm tall for the time being
- running animation seems a bit more run-like
- I can open Atlas Pass doors without the passes in inventory

EDIT: nm, I'm short again

besada

Banned
Wonder what would happen if you mined the tree.
When I park on the mountain, I tried to destroy the terrain it was standing on to see what happens, but it just makes a bit of the environment underneath the ship immune from terraforming to stop just that. But trees however..

It disappears and your ship is floating high in the air. First thing I tried:)

More damage?

More damage is an understatement. The damage per second is vastly superior and it''s much more resource friendly. It shreds fighter pilots. I went from struggling in a 5v1 to laughing them off. The laser just consumes resources, but the photon cannon consumes none.

Definitely gonna have to agree with TotalBiscuit, there's nothing wrong with being a mid-budget indie game but the more I play the less I realise there is to this game. It really looks like the vaguery and refusal to discuss the game's details prior to release was just a marketing technique, implying there is more than there really is.

The game is more basic than space traders from the 90s.

Only thing that gets a little tedious is having to recharge the things that just use Plutonium. It's not scarce at all, so it's just an annoyance to have to mine it now and then and go into the menus to recharge things often. Hopefully some PC mods will remove some of that stuff, I'd be happier not recharging launch boosters, mining laser, bolt caster etc. and focusing more on uninterrupted exploration. I'd leave the life support related stuff as is to keep the survival element relevant on toxic/harsh environment planets.

A good idea would be for HG to add an "auto" reload option, or even upgrade, for life support, lasers, thrusters, etc..

The thing about needing common resources is that I find they force me to explore when I wouldn't otherwise. For example, I might land, scan the area not see much of interest and be ready to take off when I see that I let my resources get low and have to go mining. Because I had to explore, I stumble upon a monolith. And I love to explore, but often I have the most fun adventures when I'm forced to go exploring rather than just heading out for no reason.

So I updated. Immediate reactions:

- perhaps the varying height bug is gone. I'm tall for the time being
- running animation seems a bit more run-like
- I can open Atlas Pass doors without the passes in inventory

EDIT: nm, I'm short again

Are you saying you don't have to craft them?

vpance

Wish there were some HR Giger like super creepy planets. And Xenomorphs too.. Maybe in a future DLC.

On planet combat could be expanded to something much more than just being a nuisance.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Ah. Well at least you answered one of those "What if.." 's I had with the game. Thanks :)

There's very little physics at all on the surface of a planet. It's all the same gravity, and only thing that seems to obey any physics whatsoever is barrels from a destroyed droid and your spacedude who falls.

That said, I know floating rock islands look cool... but damn if they don't destroy the sense of losing yourself in the world.

Wok

I just found my first real beautiful planet. It's full of resources, mild climate and it looks great. I think I'll stay here for some time.

Based on my random observations, blue stars have planets with extreme conditions, with little fauna and flora, but lots of rare materials, while green stars have beautiful planets with lots of fauna and flora.

I think yours is yellow.

rafaelr

15mins with new ps4 patch, 1st crash...guess you can´t fix em all at once.

i´m on a sac venom planet atm trying to get enough cash for a decent ship (making ~800k per haul).

Top Bottom