• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Review Thread: The Scores Have Arrived (read OP)

Vex_

Banned
Why are people acting like the current meta score is bad? That is still............ Good. Everything is fine.

It isn't like it turned into Bomba Man's Sky or anything.

Raonak

Banned
yes

the game is so... nothing... I am glad you enjoy it but yes, you do baffle me

It really just depends on whether you like just randomly exploring or not. The "gamey" mechanics are pretty thin, but the thrill of exploration is quite neat.

Yesterday, I landed on a planet and just went for a walk in a random direction. jumped down random hills, found a lake, it had underwater tunnels, which i ventured into, not knowing if it actually led anywhere or not. Got completely lost, ran out of air, nearly died, but managed to find the surface again. Then night was coming, and temperatures started plummeting, and it was a mad dash back up the hills to my ship to get warm. It was fun, and enjoyable, even though i didn't really do anything in a traditional sense.

I'm not entirely sure of it's staying power, but what's there is compelling enough depending on your personal tastes.

Card Boy

Banned
I didn't buy into the hype from the get go. I knew it was going to be a shallow game and I was questioning it in asking "what do you even do". The game looked the same every time we saw it. How could people not see it is beyond me.

Xbox One got the better space console exclusive at the end of the day.

Alex

I really like some of the tech and the aesthetics but on the whole the streams just looked like one of those half finished Steam EA adventures. Maybe someday I'll give it a whirl but I figured there was more to it after seeing it in the media so much.

I didn't buy into the hype from the get go. I knew it was going to be a shallow game and I was questioning it in asking "what do you even do". The game looked the same every time we saw it. How could people not see it is beyond me.

Console wars will begin soon...

30+ hours in. So far, the game might be my GOTY. I'm in love with the sense of scale, loneliness and exploration. I'm always looking forward to seeing what the next planet will look like.

I think a 7/10 is a fair score. It's a weird experimental game that tries something new and delivers on the core promise of procedural discovery. I think the main issue is that the games tasks are incredibly boring with systems that hinder the sense of exploration (inventory is full) rather than rewards it.

If this game is patched then I can see it becoming far better over time, but we'll see.

Are you actually proud of yourself for typing this? You can read it after posting and feel satisfied and quite possibly on a higher level?

It really just depends on whether you like just randomly exploring or not. The "gamey" mechanics are pretty thin, but the thrill of exploration is quite neat.

Yesterday, I landed on a planet and just went for a walk in a random direction. jumped down random hills, found a lake, it had underwater tunnels, which i ventured into, not knowing if it actually led anywhere or not. Got completely lost, ran out of air, nearly died, but managed to find the surface again. Then night was coming, and temperatures started plummeting, and it was a mad dash back up the hills to my ship to get warm. It was fun, and enjoyable, even though i didn't really do anything in a traditional sense.

I'm not entirely sure of it's staying power, but what's there is compelling enough depending on your personal tastes.

No, stop. You're wrong and you shouldn't be enjoying this. I'm baffled and that people are liking a video game is baffling.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

People not seeing and people not wanting to see are two different things.

"What the hell do you do?" Was kinda obvious in this game when the same stuff was being shown for the first year or more. I think the delays seemed like they were there to add "more stuff to do" like the shooting and stuff. But much like Cuphead's platforming, it was shoehorned in after complaints.

Haven't been keeping this game on my personal radar much, but it's a bit of a shame to hear that the game is coming up painfully short in several areas. Hopefully this may change in the coming weeks / months of software support.

That's what hype does to people. They never learn to keep their expectations in check. Especially in this case.

Consumers didn't create these expectations, Sony and Hello Games did. The amount of attention this game was given prior to release, and the sheer scope of the game that was touted by the game's PR, were indicative that the game would be a lot more grand than the final product actually turned out to be. Expectations were deliberately on the selling points Hello Games was claiming this game had and how hard Sony was in return pushing this game in publicity. How about asking them why that is, instead of asking consumers why they listened.

The fire has already risen.

Why are people acting like the current meta score is bad? That is still............ Good. Everything is fine.

It isn't like it turned into Bomba Man's Sky or anything.

I'm trying to figure that out too. I think people are letting their personal biases dictate which of the reviews they look at, so people pre-disposed to disliking it are looking at the 5s while people pre-disposed to liking it are looking at the 8s and 9s. There's a lot of rationalization on both sides with people disregarding the high or low scores.

I can't wait for Spider-man to come out and the inevitable comparisons to the Arkham games. Then we'll probably get a console wars and Marvel vs. DC wars in one thread.

Jackpot

Banned
I foresaw this. I watched the developer walkthroughs where they were right in the meat of the game and saw... nothing. Endless resource management, crafting, and cataloging in a blocky spaceship on a blocky planet.

Mark my words in 2 months it'll be the poster child for "what was all the fuss about?" threads.

You guys that knew this game was too-hyped and it wouldn't be good even though you haven't played it are so smart! 🤓

Small indie developer tries to make an infinite open world space exploration game in 5 years using algorithms, even though it is well-established that randomly generated content often isn't very compelling, especially as compared to handcrafted content.

Succeeds at making the algorithms that piece together planets that look the way they should, but fails to create meaningful content to actually do on those planets.

It didn't take a rocket scientist to see this coming. I think No Man's Sky is still super impressive considering it was developed by the tiny Hello Games, and Sean Murray should definitely be proud of his team. But it was never going to live up to the hype, not in 18 quintillion years.

People not seeing and people not wanting to see are two different things.

"What the hell do you do?" Was kinda obvious in this game when the same stuff was being shown for the first year or more. I think the delays seemed like they were there to add "more stuff to do" like the shooting and stuff. But much like Cuphead's platforming, it was shoehorned in after complaints.
Off topic but cuphead wasn't originally a platformer? I don't follow it to well but I really can't wait for it(I like the art style mostly)

I think that metascore is more than fair. Starts off great, and it does lose a lot of its shine very quickly once the randomness turns out be more repetitiveness than anything else.

Oh there's not nothing do.

It's just that the game basically presents you with chores to do and you have to grind those same uninteresting chores fused with poor gameplay mechanics on every planet.
So like an adult who goes to work everyday

Seriously though, I hope this game gets fleshed out as time goes like Destiny did

dyergram

I foresaw this. I watched the developer walkthroughs where they were right in the meat of the game and saw... nothing. Endless resource management, crafting, and cataloging in a blocky spaceship on a blocky planet.

Mark my words in 2 months it'll be the poster child for "what was all the fuss about?" threads.
You can't say what was all of the fuss about when people have been shitting on this game for at least a year. This game for me has been the most hyperbolic game ever in almost every conceivable way.

i realise that statement in its self is hyperbolic

Small indie developer tries to make an infinite open world space exploration game in 5 years using algorithms, even though it is well-established that randomly generated content often isn't very compelling, especially as compared to handcrafted content.

Succeeds at making the algorithms that piece together planets that look the way they should, but fails to create meaningful content to actually do on those planets.

It didn't take a rocket scientist to see this coming. I think No Man's Sky is still super impressive considering it was developed by the tiny Hello Games, and Sean Murray should definitely be proud of his team. But it was never going to live up to the hype, not in 18 quintillion years.
Agree with the impressive nature of the game. I just hate the concept of hype. "hype" is only as valuable as you make it.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Off topic but cuphead wasn't originally a platformer? I don't follow it to well but I really can't wait for it(I like the art style mostly)

Nope. Cuphead started as a Boss Rush game. When an overwhelming number of people were turned off by a game with nothing but boss battles, they've been shoehorning in platforming levels, which as of now, don't look overly fun.

I think a similar thing happened to No Man's Sky. The game started as nothing but mining and crafting, but when everyone kept saying "That's it? What else do you do?" Hello delayed to add more stuff to do, but none of it is overly great. I think some indie decs need to make a choice when making their games. Either stick to their original vision and take a chance, or maybe be a little more objective about realising what the market at large wants and work to that.

I mean honestly, did Hello think there was a large number of gamers who have the time to sit there and explore quintillions of same-ish planets with no real end game in sight? I just, I don't know how to comprehend the thinking behind that. I think a more focused game with only 20-30 fleshed out planets would have worked much better.

Incredibly mixed reviews. Exactly what I was expecting.

If it clicks for you, it'll click in a big way, but for others it will, literally, leave them wondering what is going on.

I, personally, get an almost ASMR kind of response to it. I find the game INCREDIBLY relaxing and I can't quite put my finger on why. I think it's worth playing, but I also think that it won't be a game everyone enjoys.

I would love to buy this game just for the hell of it, but the time sink would require neglect from my other games and I just can't do it. I was so hype for this game until I really understood how much stuff there is to do so I'm kind of overwhelmed. Despite the reviews, I still think it looks like a good game. Hoping for the best for the team.... The Hype certainly damaged this game 😢

benzopil

Peter Molyneux, Todd Howard and Sean Murray walk into a bar

- What can I do for you? - bartender asks.
- You can do anything! - they answer.

the issue is the marketing and the push from Sony had this indie game hyped from the roof.

I'm still loving it but it has some annoyances that I can't believe I have to deal with. Especially with cargo space.

AHA-Lambda

No man's sky just proves that people shouldn't care about media opinion.

There's people who it's going to love it and there's people that won't.

How is that different from any piece of reviewed media ever?

what.gif

Uthred

Peter Molyneux, Todd Howard and Sean Murray walk into a bar

- What can I do for you? - bartender asks.
- You can do anything! - they answer.

While amusing these comparisons are ludicrous, Murray is no-where near Molyneux's level. Molyneux did this kind of shit for years, he's the god of bullshit, at best Murray is like one of his angels.

I love how people start to realize how much 'reviews don't matter' whenever a game gets average to low review scores.

Reviews dont matter any more or less for a poorly reviewed game than they do for a well reviewed one, they are a tool to help the consumer make a purchasing decision. They are not soldiers in some sad war of personal vindication, or supports to prop up peoples need for validation, "I was right!" is the saddest thing to see posted in a review thread.

Daingurse

I love how people start to realize how much 'reviews don't matter' whenever a game gets average to low review scores.

I mean that's always been the case, but yeah it seems to happen any time a hyped game gets middling reviews lol. But it is a good thing to keep in mind. A game getting good reviews doesn't mean you're automatically going to like it, and the inverse is of course also true.

Top Bottom