• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise |OT| of touching down in HD

CatPee

PARANO1A said:
Ordered this for a pretty reasonable price online, looking forward to trying it.

I was looking to pick up a Move controller + navigation controller to play this but I can't believe how much they cost. I already have a PS Eye so I expected to walk out with simply a controller + nunchuck for ~$50 or so. What the hell? No wonder it's not taking off :/

Well if you're going into a store and planning to pay full retail for that stuff, then of course it's expensive. However, Move stuff can be had for very cheap online (used, of course). I've seen the $100 bundles consistently go for $50-$60 nowadays. NMH pretty much requires it, in my opinion. A lot of charm is lost with the Dualshock 3.

TGMIII

Napalm_Frank said:
So the american version has more extras than PAL version that released before?

Not that I know of, unless the DLC is free on the US version but I don't see why it would be.

Wow screen tear galore even at the intro, yet I'm all smiles because of seeing Travis in HD and the trophy list. Move purchase justified, though I know I'm going to miss the
phonecalls
via the wiimote.

CatPee

Hmmm... anyone know where to find out exactly what the techniques Lovikov teaches you are? Game doesn't exactly do a great job of telling you what they are or how to perform them. :\

My copy finally arrived. I'm playing with the DS3 for now until I find another good deal on a Move bundle. As I said before, it's not nearly as fun without the motion controls, but I enjoy NMH enough so that it's not a big deal. As far as controls go, I'm still having some problems activating that shadow-dodge move. I've done it a few times, but it seems to occur more often when I'm not trying to do it.

I don't own a Wii anymore, so I'm glad that I can play this again.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
CatPee said:
Hmmm... anyone know where to find out exactly what the techniques Lovikov teaches you are? Game doesn't exactly do a great job of telling you what they are or how to perform them. :\

If you hover over the technique, a couple seconds later you'll get a description crawl at the bottom.

PARANO1A

CatPee said:
Well if you're going into a store and planning to pay full retail for that stuff, then of course it's expensive. However, Move stuff can be had for very cheap online (used, of course). I've seen the $100 bundles consistently go for $50-$60 nowadays. NMH pretty much requires it, in my opinion. A lot of charm is lost with the Dualshock 3.
Are you able to point me in the direction of the deals you're talking about? I've looked on ebay and whatnot and it's all a bit expensive. Will likely settle for ds3 at this point.

PARANO1A said:
Are you able to point me in the direction of the deals you're talking about? I've looked on ebay and whatnot and it's all a bit expensive. Will likely settle for ds3 at this point.

It's not horrible, just lacking that thrill.

**Potential spoiler alert: The following clip is from the score attack mode, so there are no story spoilers. However, the boss itself could be considered a spoiler. Therefore, you should proceed with caution if you have not reached Rank 1.**

I've been watching a few (several amazing) score attack videos, but this one shows Travis using a melee attack to stun the boss. Is that the same attack used by pressing the X-button on the DS3, or is there another melee attack?

RadioHeadAche said:
**Potential spoiler alert: The following clip is from the score attack mode, so there are no story spoilers. However, the boss itself could be considered a spoiler. Therefore, you should proceed with caution if you have not reached Rank 1.**

I've been watching a few (several amazing) score attack videos, but this one shows Travis using a melee attack to stun the boss. Is that the same attack used by pressing the X-button on the DS3, or is there another melee attack?
Yeah he's throwing a standard punch. One thing to note is that his strength is likely maxed out.

Urban Scholar said:
Yeah he's throwing a standard punch. One thing to note is that his strength is likely maxed out.

I figured that was a likely explanation, but I wasn't sure if that carried over to the score attack mode because of all the videos I've seen, the MK.III doesn't have an infinite charge. Also, I'm Rank 5 right now and I think this is a pretty good port. It's not without flaws, but still enjoyable. I'm just glad that I can play this again.

Shadow780 said:
I love to wag.

Does it use the Navigation controller as well?

I think so. I imagine it's very similar to the Wii control scheme in which the nunchuk was used to move Travis. Have you played NMH before?

So which is the definitive version of this game to get?

Obviously the PS3 version has extra content over the Wii original, [though the Wii version has more/different music?] but as far as controls are concerned, how does the Move compare to the Wii Remote? I wouldn't dream of playing it with a DS3, even if it's acceptable, because it was clearly designed to use motion controls (and the Wii Remote's speaker, apparently?) . So I'm wondering if I should start hunting for a Move set, or if I should just get it for the Wii?

Sub questions:
- I thought I read a post saying the PS3 version is uncensored... I take it that means the Wii version isn't?
- My OCD side wouldn't want to get the first for PS3 and the second for Wii, so either are there any plans to bring NMH2 to the PS3, or does them including the bosses from the sequel in this release kinda... negate the need for them to do it? (Bububu what about the story??)

WordAssassin said:
- I thought I read a post saying the PS3 version is uncensored... I take it that means the Wii version isn't?

The Wii version was never censored, except in Japan where the gore had to be censored. I think it was because this is the 2nd version of the PS3 NMH port and the 1st version was buggier and censored (and not released outside of Japan IIRC)

Ah, ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

Also, thought of another sub question since you mentioned the buggy first PS3 version - I keep reading about the screen tearing that it has. Is that present in the Wii version too?

I'm attempting to S-rank every ranking battle on bitter because I'm insane. 10-8 were easy, Destroyman was a colossal pain mostly because of the enemy encounters beforehand (fuck gun wielders in this game). Holly Summers is next and that will be fun because that level is mostly gun wielders. I think I'm getting the hang of darkstep, though. I still need to experiment with it to use it effectively.

Going back to S-ranks, I heard that you need to have been dealt 50% or less damage for a S-rank, but I think it might be 30% or less on bitter because I got 30-40% a couple times during Destroyman and received an A-rank.

Coldsnap

Nooooooooooooo! Jean walked out of my apartment while I was going to fight #3 guy. I was petting and playing with her through most the game but got caught up in the past two fights and did no interaction. Did I loose my cat :(?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Coldsnap said:
Nooooooooooooo! Jean walked out of my apartment while I was going to fight #3 guy. I was petting and playing with her through most the game but got caught up in the past two fights and did no interaction. Did I loose my cat :(?

It's story related

I did it. Every ranking battle, s-ranked on bitter. I never want to do that again. On a different note, some of the outfits in very sweet mode were pretty funny, especially cowgirl
Jeane
(end game spoiler).

RadioHeadAche said:
I did it. Every ranking battle, s-ranked on bitter. I never want to do that again.

For the achievement/trophy you could also get it if you did it on sweet. Otherwise congrats though. I've been busy with working & class studies back to back but I'm looking to sink in more time one day this week.

Urban Scholar said:
For the achievement/trophy you could also get it if you did it on sweet. Otherwise congrats though. I've been busy with working & class studies back to back but I'm looking to sink in more time one day this week.

I knew I could do it on very sweet, but after s-ranking Death Metal, I wanted to see how far I could get. It eventually turned into a horrible obsession. I don't know if I could have gotten through the Holly Summers pre-boss fights without those dark side powers.

Jintor said:
How to activate super moves with the wand?

If you're referring to dark side modes, press both the move and t trigger together on the MOVE controller.

RadioHeadAche said:
I knew I could do it on very sweet, but after s-ranking Death Metal, I wanted to see how far I could get. It eventually turned into a horrible obsession. I don't know if I could have gotten through the Holly Summers pre-boss fights without those dark side powers.

I'd like to do the same but for certain boss(that shall remain nameless for the sake of spoilers) that's a ton of hp right there. It's a long fight, still though good stuff.

Urban Scholar said:
I'd like to do the same but for certain boss(that shall remain nameless for the sake of spoilers) that's a ton of hp right there. It's a long fight, still though good stuff.

Are you talking about the "real" ending boss? It's not too bad when you figure out when to dodge, but that fight takes so long. I defeated them with over four-hundred hits. No other boss comes close to that many strikes.

Also, this was a pretty good port. The added features and upgraded graphics were nice, and it was great to play one of my favorite games again after having sold my Wii several years ago.

By the way, for any of you trophy hunters, a really good way to grind for that 5100 kills trophy is to play the 22nd(I think it's called "gamble fight" or something) assassination mission. If you have the Mark III katana with all upgrades, fully charge it at the start of the fight. As soon as they close in, unleash your attack by tapping the square button (if you're playing with a DS3). If you time it just right and avoid enemy attacks, you should be able to get over one-hundred kills per mission. Not only does that help you obtain the trophy, but you will make a lot of money by doing so. I had earned so much that I never needed to do a side-job or mission in my bitter and very sweet playthroughs. The mission is also within walking distance from the assassination mission building and your apartment, so it saves a lot of time by having to travel less.

RadioHeadAche said:
Are you talking about the "real" ending boss? It's not too bad when you figure out when to dodge, but that fight takes so long. I defeated them with over four-hundred hits. No other boss comes close to that many strikes.

Yeah dude is a monster just like the Wii version. Still, most impressive instant death move ever though.

TGMIII

Urban Scholar said:

There's a way to force this boss to constantly do the same attack string over and over, the last hit of the string you can dodge and then cause him to do the same attack string again. Makes the fight a lot easier but still takes time.

When Henry attacks you directly he'll end it by doing a jumping attack, if you dodge this and attack him it will stun him but instead of performing a wrestling move on him just attack him once more and he'll begin attacking again. On the 4th/5th hit you can dodge again and again you'll stun him. Rinse and repeat.

awwyeahgurrl said:
There's a way to force this boss to constantly do the same attack string over and over, the last hit of the string you can dodge and then cause him to do the same attack string again. Makes the fight a lot easier but still takes time.

When Henry attacks you directly he'll end it by doing a jumping attack, if you dodge this and attack him it will stun him but instead of performing a wrestling move on him just attack him once more and he'll begin attacking again. On the 4th/5th hit you can dodge again and again you'll stun him. Rinse and repeat.

That's what I did on bitter. Doing the dark-step move during that attack helps a lot (unless he dodges it).

Jintor

Urban Scholar said:
If you're referring to dark side modes, press both the move and t trigger together on the MOVE controller.

Weird, didn't work for me yonks ago. I'll load it up again when I'm done with Driver and see if that plays out.

I got pretty far on Bitter before my PS3 exploded on me so I'm switching to Mild this time so I can just finish the game...

RadioHeadAche said:
Does anyone know where I can find an official copy of the soundtrack? Ebay doesn't seem to have anything.

I imported mine years ago from play-asia, I also hecked the grasshopper store it doesn't have it either. I hit up their facebook page so if they let me know I'll pass it along to you. Also thanks for the hidden boss tips guys, to this date it's still one of my most memorable fights in this current gen.

There are some Amazon Marketplace sellers who have it, but they're asking for almost $200 which is not what I'm spending on a soundtrack (as much as I like it).

ZealousD

Found a reproducible bug in which one of the mines in the metal detector job will cause the game to freeze. I honestly don't see how a tester could have missed it. =/

ZealousD said:
Found a reproducible bug in which one of the mines in the metal detector job will cause the game to freeze. I honestly don't see how a tester could have missed it. =/
Thanks will add to op when I get out of school

awwyeahgurrl said:
Fine, I platniumed it with a DS3. I actually preferred the DS3 over move.

I platinumed with a DS3 as well. It actually plays pretty well with it.

Urban Scholar said:
$200? No way, I bought mine on play-asia with shipping for $50. Speaking of which, I think my only review for the soundtrack is still there.

Play-Asia was one of the first places I looked, and it's out of print. I can find the Killer7 soundtrack on Amazon, why can't I get NMH!?

RadioHeadAche said:
Play-Asia was one of the first places I looked, and it's out of print. I can find the Killer7 soundtrack on Amazon, why can't I get NMH!?

They responded to me on facebook. Their OSTs are first print runs, so once their gone, they are gone unfortunately. Don't give up hope though

Urban Scholar said:
They responded to me on facebook. Their OSTs are first print runs, so once their gone, they are gone unfortunately. Don't give up hope though

I was on the Grasshopper store a short while ago to buy Hand in Killer7. It sold out mere minutes before I was about to buy it. Instead, I got the NMH Dark Side OST, Dr. Peace's single and the Shadows of the Damned OST. It may not have some of the boss themes I really want, but I'd like to have some kind of NMH soundtrack.

RadioHeadAche said:
I was on the Grasshopper store a short while ago to buy Hand in Killer7. It sold out mere minutes before I was about to buy it. Instead, I got the NMH Dark Side OST, Dr. Peace's single and the Shadows of the Damned OST. It may not have some of the boss themes I really want, but I'd like to have some kind of NMH soundtrack.

Cool nonetheless

Urban Scholar said:
Cool nonetheless

I haven't played Shadows yet, though I intend to, but I heard the soundtrack was good. Plus, I love Yamaoka's work from Silent Hill, so it would be great to get his autograph.

I am really surprised that I can't find any NMH OSTs on Ebay. It's bizarre, really.

ZealousD

Has anybody figured out how to unlock the model/costume viewer yet? I assumed it would become available when I beat the game but apparently not. Is it even in this version?

Urban Scholar said:
Thanks will add to op when I get out of school

Was poking around online when I found out that the bug is actually related to the DLC sword you get for preordering. So don't do the minesweeper game while you have that sword equipped.

IrishNinja

arrgh any pointers on handling
jeane
on bitter? i can get to the end of phase 2/3 lately, really just wanna tie up this playthrough and get through very sweet mop-up.

speaking of, i apparently missed a card somewhere (?), despite my best efforts - guess ill check when im back at travis' apt, unless the trophy unlocks later?

*edit wait wait wait...the pink icons on the map are cards?! how do i dig for them?

Top Bottom