• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise |OT| of touching down in HD

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah, Giolon, the models were always good-- they were just in blurovision with that shitty filter. They look great on PS3.

xandaca

Really glad this has arrived on HD consoles, the Wii version is my favourite game of this console generation so it's great that it has the chance to reach a wider audience.

For those who are enjoying it and interested in some of the themes Suda plays with in the game, here's an analysis of the NMH series (including Desperate Struggle, so beware spoilers) I put up on my blog.

One of the reasons I love Suda's games is unpacking all the inspirations and themes, so it would be cool to hear GAF's own thoughts.

Roto13

I played the demo and I can't imagine buying this game unless I get a Move. It's really not fun with a standard controller. Love the Wii version, though.

kiryogi

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Yeah, Giolon, the models were always good-- they were just in blurovision with that shitty filter. They look great on PS3.
Well it's even more of a step up on HD consoles as they've added shaders and whatnot. Seeing that pic of Bad Girl up there really makes you appreciate it.

Man this game is messed up. And I think I hated right until the last second until something snapped and I just accepted how awesome and trippy the whole insane thing is.

Gravijah said:
does this have any rearranged music?

Same soundtrack like the Wii version with some of NMH2 in there for extra boss fights,

Lostconfused said:
Man this game is messed up. And I think I hated right until the last second until something snapped and I just accepted how awesome and trippy the whole insane thing is.

Thus you are no longer lost and confused

Xevren

I always wanted to play No More Heroes but I never had access to a Wii. My copy showed up yesterday and I'm in love with it. Game plays just fine for me on a dualshock so I'm a happy camper.

DeVeAn

What really upsets me is this is the third release and there are bugs in the game that should not be. I start the mine sweeping job and the game freezes when I try to smash the mine. Twice.

For me since I was there day 1 on the Wii, I feel let down with this port. At least the HD part looks decent.

CatPee

Ugh, anyone else having problems activating Dark Side? I've only gotten it to kick in twice, and one of those times was unintentional. Move button + T almost always gets me either a beat or a slash.
LLShC.gif

Why does the front of the box say something like "music downloads not rated by the ESRB"?

Xamdou said:
The big question is: Does the game still have the Heavenly Star song?

According to the OP, no. It's really not a major loss. It only played while in the clothes shop and Naomi's place, and most probably don't spend a lot of time in either location. Plus, the US Wii version didn't have the music video, so it doesn't seem like a major loss. It is a bit disappointing because I did like that song.

kiryogi

Banned
RadioHeadAche said:
Why does the front of the box say something like "music downloads not rated by the ESRB"?

According to the OP, no. It's really not a major loss. It only played while in the clothes shop and Naomi's place, and most probably don't spend a lot of time in either place. Plus, the US Wii version didn't have the music video, so to me it's not a big loss.

It was also played in the background during the limo rides with Sylvia, but yeah, it's not too major of a loss.

Pietepiet

xandaca said:
Really glad this has arrived on HD consoles, the Wii version is my favourite game of this console generation so it's great that it has the chance to reach a wider audience.

For those who are enjoying it and interested in some of the themes Suda plays with in the game, here's an analysis of the NMH series (including Desperate Struggle, so beware spoilers) I put up on my blog.

One of the reasons I love Suda's games is unpacking all the inspirations and themes, so it would be cool to hear GAF's own thoughts.

Great read! Thank you for this :)

DeVeAn

kiryogi said:
Are you using DLC weapons? I'm hearing on Gamefaqs that's whats causing the issues.
Well that's it then because yes I am. Ugh.

Popped the Wii version in holy shit, looks worse but the "feel" was way better. Maybe the better framerate or controls.

CatPee said:
Ugh, anyone else having problems activating Dark Side? I've only gotten it to kick in twice, and one of those times was unintentional. Move button + T almost always gets me either a beat or a slash.
LLShC.gif
Make sure you aren't doing anything else and press move and t button together when you have a stock. Always works for me

CatPee

Man, the battle with
Shinobu
was so incredibly tedious.Attacking her head-on is no good, and the dodge snaps you out of lock-on for a bit. Not to mention that if she or you were standing behind a pillar, you couldn't lock-on to her. Took me 3 tries to finally defeat her.

By the way, I found a bug with the Lawn Mowing job. Tapping L1 a couple times while holding down L2/just after pressing L2 and Travis is still in the turning animation will allow you to freely move around as you would normally. Got all 100 acres of grass in 40 seconds. I played with a Move, so I dunno if this would work with DS3.

CatPee said:
Man, the battle with
Shinobu
was so incredibly tedious.Attacking her head-on is no good, and the dodge snaps you out of lock-on for a bit. Not to mention that if she or you were standing behind a pillar, you couldn't lock-on to her. Took me 3 tries to finally defeat her.

By the way, I found a bug with the Lawn Mowing job. Tapping L1 a couple times while holding down L2/just after pressing L2 and Travis is still in the turning animation will allow you to freely move around as you would normally. Got all 100 acres of grass in 40 seconds. I played with a Move, so I dunno if this would work with DS3.
Ahaha I did as well

CatPee said:
Ahaha I did as well

CatPee said:
Ahaha I did as well

FlashbladeGAF said:
have you PS3 players, playing for the first time, discovered the shadow dodge yet

Shaves 20 minutes off boss fights
Darkstep? Yeah. I've been meaning to write details on it. However I think original Wii players like myself spread the word on it enough for others.

Guys if you want to write this up I can in between my studies. It's one of many hidden mechanics in the game

CatPee

Roto13 said:
Wiggle the control stick left and right to dodge an attack and activate Witch Time. There, written.

That's how you do it? I thought the sidestep and Witch Time were always random.

Urban Scholar said:
Darkstep? Yeah. I've been meaning to write details on it. However I think original Wii players like myself spread the word on it enough for others.

Guys if you want to write this up I can in between my studies. It's one of many hidden mechanics in the game
Yeah I kind of figured it out in like the last 30 seconds of the last boss fight. Can't believe the game doesn't tell you about that at all, probably the reason why I hated it so much for most of the playthrough.
Roto13 said:
Wiggle the control stick left and right to dodge an attack and activate Witch Time. There, written.
Pretty sure you just have to hit the movement stick in any direction when Travis blocks an attack.

Edit: Or wiggle it when blocking I guess. Well whatever works.

MjFrancis

Roto13 said:
That's pretty funny, I'll have to use that next time I fire this game up. I only played the first boss fight and I thought that it was taking entirely too long. It was just a bonafide grind.

MjFrancis said:
That's pretty funny, I'll have to use that next time I fire this game up. I only played the first boss fight and I thought that it was taking entirely too long. It was just a bonafide grind.

Lostconfused said:
Yeah I kind of figured it out in like the last 30 seconds of the last boss fight. Can't believe the game doesn't tell you about that at all, probably the reason why I hated it so much for most of the playthrough.
Pretty sure you just have to hit the movement stick in any direction when Travis blocks an attack.

Edit: Or wiggle it when blocking I guess. Well whatever works.

CatPee said:
That's how you do it? I thought the sidestep and Witch Time were always random.

To clarify further guys: While locked on to an enemy and blocking. Rapidly move left and right on the controls and Travis will get into darkstep, every time. Like mentioned before it's like witchtime, everything slows down and you can unleash enough slashes to constantly get foes into dizzy. You can follow up with lucha libre action or continue with more combos.

PARANO1A

Ordered this for a pretty reasonable price online, looking forward to trying it.

I was looking to pick up a Move controller + navigation controller to play this but I can't believe how much they cost. I already have a PS Eye so I expected to walk out with simply a controller + nunchuck for ~$50 or so. What the hell? No wonder it's not taking off :/

daviyoung

Banned
Roto13 said:

That's it. Dodge, slay the bejesus out of them. It's a cake walk.

I loved this game on the Wii, can't imagine it without waggle though. Isn't it incredibly easy and boring with DS3?

What a shitty port. For some reason I have an encountered a bug where a can not buy the last beam saber and thus not see the real ending.

Fuck this game.

Fuck me! Just purchased this game and the installation process is stuck at 0%.

Been sitting here for 30 minutes and still no progress. I still have 7GB free space.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sorry if this has been answered... but how do I unlock the "dressing room" or whatever it's called? The Red Zone?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
awwyeahgurrl said:
If you mean the character viewer, it's DLC.
Oh! How much money :D? Does it exist in EU PSN store?

Yoshichan

awwyeahgurrl said:
It came out a week after the game released in EU. I think it's £0.99
Perfect! Thank you sir!

Top Bottom