• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NOA reveals line-up for Nintendo DS/3DS [Dates, Trailers, Delays, Announcements]

Where is Zelda?
Where is F-Zero?
Where is Donkey Kong?
Where is Wave Race?
Where is Animal Crossing?
Where is Wario Land?
Where is Kirby?
Where is Smash Brothers?
Where is Metroid?
Maybe a Pikmin game?
Or a new Stafox?
What about Mario Party 3D with online MP?

No, there's none of them...

It's only been a year and a bit. By the time 3DS becomes 2, we'll have plenty of stuff covered:
There's 3D Mario
There's a Mario Kart with robust online MP
There's a Mario Sports Game with good online MP
There's a pretty ambitious Resident Evil with addictive online co-op
There's a HUGE, practically new, franchise in Kid Icarus with very robust online MP
Edit: Of course, huge franchise with Kingdom Hearts
There's a decent looter/dungeon crawler in Heroes of Ruin with ambitious online MP
There'll be a Paper Mario
There'll be a Mario Side Scroller
There'll be a Luigi's Mansion
There'll be a puzzle game with Mask of Miracle
Remakes of fantastic games like OoT, Starfox64 and Tales of the Abyss to fill the gaps for now.

This is only looking at the more mainstream stuff and ignores a lot of hidden gems. It doesn't even take into account what's on the e-shop. And guess what: there's maybe another 4 years of games to go. Most of what you listed will eventually come. Give it time.

Was on board with the "This seems like a cobbled together holiday season" until the metacritic argument started.

Especially when handheld games have an extremely hard time getting a 90+ on MC no matter how good it is. The DS is one of my favorite systems ever, but it has only a handful of games over 90. There is a strict outline of games that will get over a 90 on MC and most handheld games do not fall into that criteria.

Drago

It's only been a year and a bit. By the time 3DS becomes 2, we'll have plenty of stuff covered:
There's 3D Mario
There's a Mario Kart with robust online MP
There's a Mario Sports Game with good online MP
There's a pretty ambitious Resident Evil with addictive online co-op
There's a HUGE, practically new, franchise in Kid Icarus with very robust online MP
There's a decent looter/dungeon crawler in Heroes of Ruin with ambitious online MP
There'll be a Paper Mario
There'll be a Mario Side Scroller
There'll be a Luigi's Mansion
There'll be a puzzle game with Mask of Miracle
Remakes of fantastic games like OoT, Starfox64 and Tales of the Abyss to fill the gaps for now.

This is only looking at the more mainstream stuff and ignores a lot of hidden gems. It doesn't even take into account what's on the e-shop. And guess what: there's maybe another 4 years of games to go. Most of what you listed will eventually come. Give it time.
That's a lot of Mario :(

I know every Mario game on 3DS is wildly different but I want to see more franchises. Where is Kirby? DK? Metroid? Wario?

Nintendo Fluidity: Spin Cycle Q4

Well this was a delightful surprise.
Agreed. I still need to try and beat the first game. Maybe I'll do that before WiiU comes out. Either way, will get this since its on a portable.

Anywayz: Good to see 999-2 release date reconfirmed for October 23rd and not delayed.

Paper Mario amd Layton feels like both are sent to die. Too close to the Holiday season with the onslaught of Holiday games. Epic Mickey's release date is the worse. Honesly should've delayed them all to Q1 since I don't think any of them will sell well in the Holidays. Hope to be wrong.

Why the fuck did Nintendo say Luigi's Mansion is 2012 just NINE weeks ago? Surely nine weeks ago they new they were gonna delay it.whatever. Glad to see that this won't be sent to die.

Wario Land 2 is cool, never played it so EXCITE.

Ii guess I now have $40 extra dollars since there is no Luigi this year. What to spend it on...

I find it ironic that LM isn't coming this year when theres a CN Platinum poster to go with its release tho lol.

The release dates go up to November 18th. (Maybe more, just saw EM's release date) Now Nintendo, since that is most likely the date, I say its about time you revealled the Wii U launch date...please?

That's a lot of Mario :(

Doesn't make the games any worse, though. And it makes sense. Mario is a a franchise people trust and relate to, and a game that sells systems. Plus, I'd like to think that if we get the Marios out of the way now, then maybe later we'll see some more variety ;-)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
That's probably the reason Luigi's Mansion is getting delayed. With the Wii U launching with NSMBU the amount of Mario overload is probably scaring them to let LM2 breathe.

It's what I think too. Maybe it's for the better, in this way Paper Mario can be the big protagonist ( remember what Mario & Luigi did in US) with Layton for the Holidays ( NSMB2 too) and then Luigi's Mansion 2 will get enough space in 2013. While Paper Mario is a sure seller however, Luigi is a wild card, even more than Kid Icarus: it can do better without other Mario titles releasing too soon.

Okay so what happened to Etrian Odyssey 4, Rune Factory 4, Project X Zone, Soul Hackers, Inazuma Collection and all the good stuff?

NOA being NOA? :/

At least there's Prof. Layton, Paper Mario and Pokemon I guess...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Meh I'll get hated on but fuck it.

How can Luigi's Mansion get delayed when Nintendo's hardly done shit this year on the platform anyways? There was KI which was pushed to this year and immediately full featured. Since then we've gotten a lazy ass Mario Tennis port and an extremely safe NSMB2 game.

That leaves us with Paper Mario and.... *crickets chirping* for the rest of the year...

Saying I'm disappointed would be an understatement. For the next 5 or 6 months I've basically have to hope the new team behind Castlevania delivers and that another go round of Paper Mario is fun. Meanwhile Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion etc... all get pushed to 2013.

And some people wonder why the dedicated handheld business seems so tough these days...

PS: It's also to much Mario for ME to fast. I understand why they did it, but I've been harping on this since before E3.

TDLink

A few things people aren't considering in regards to 3DS.
  1. There are also new Pokemon games coming out, which will be huge and they don't want to put other software near.
  2. They also are focusing on Wii U this year and probably don't want to put out too many 3DS games at the same time in order to entice more people to go for Wii U.
  3. There are no December games here and Nintendo always likes to add to these lists during their Nintendo Directs...so this is probably not quite a complete list.

All that being said, Paper Mario + NSMB2 + Layton (+ Pokemon) isn't a bad first party lineup for them. It could probably have been better though. The plus side is we know Spring 2013 is going to rock for the system with, at least, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, and Luigi's Mansion.

rpmurphy

There are some nice surprises, didn't expect Style Savvy, new Fluidity, and some eShop games from Konami. I got a lot of 3DS games queued up now for the rest of the year. :S

Okay so what happened to Etrian Odyssey 4, Rune Factory 4, Project X Zone, Soul Hackers, Inazuma Collection and all the good stuff?

NOA being NOA? :/

At least there's Prof. Layton, Paper Mario and Pokemon I guess...

NOA has nothing to do with the localization of these games?

The best hope for the games you listed is first-half of 2013 along with Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing and now Luigi's Mansion.

Tookay

I'm sorry but moving LM2 back is bullshit.

It doesn't feel like Nintendo's delivering a stream of high quality games, but only a trickle. Sitting on FE, AC, and LM when they could have filled in some gaps this year is so silly.

CronoShot

Luigi's Mansion and Castlevania (probably) delayed? No Animal Crossing or Fire Emblem (expected, but still)?

reggie-shrug.png

And Nintendo wonders why the 3DS isn't catching on outside of Japan.

Murrah

Banned
DAAAAAaaaaaw you sure? :(

Maaan that's a let down for me.

Yeah I'm pretty sure. I think the GameBoy game's already on the Japanese VC so it makes sense for it to be that as opposed to the N64 game

I know that feel bro. Been waiting almost six years for it to come to Wii's VC. Hope is lost. Faith is broken

Tookay

The plus side is we know Spring 2013 is going to rock for the system with, at least, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, and Luigi's Mansion.

That's assuming some of those don't get pushed back again.

It's beginning to feel like Nintendo exists only in January/March/November.

Javier

Not a bad line-up for the rest of the year.

- NSMB2
- Paper Mario
- Layton 5
- Epic Mickey
- Code of Princess
- ZE: VLR

Still plenty of stuff to keep me busy until next year when my beloved Fire Emblem hits.

Vanillalite

FFS the 3 games I wanted to buy in the 2nd half of this year either we have been told they've been pushed to 2013 ie Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion or else they just aren't on the list ie Castlevania which isn't a good sign.

This makes me salty as fuck about the system as a whole right now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
For those asking about Animal Crossing, I'm fairly confident Nintendo is preparing a Wii U version that allows for crossplay and the 3DS version is being delayed until the Wii U version is ready.

I have absolutely zero inside sources for this. Just a gut feeling that's why we haven't seen hardly anything about it in the states since last E3.

TDLink

That's assuming some of those don't get pushed back again.

It's beginning to feel like Nintendo exists only in January/March/November.

We'll see. I think a lot of this year's scheduling involves working around the Wii U. And again, don't forget Pokemon. That is going to destroy any other software they put near it. I would hope next year does not have the same issues. I think up until now this year the stream of 3DS games has been steady though with RE:R, MGS3, ToA, KI:U, Mario Tennis, Heroes of Ruin, KH3D, and NSMB2.

RM8

Castlevania :(

Not too bothered by Luigi's Mansion since we're still getting Paper Mario. With Paper Mario, Code of Princess, Layton, Epic Mickey, Harvest Moon and maybe NSMB2/Sonic Kart/Adventure Time my 3DS will be fine.

Vanillalite

Didn't know Atlus was the same as NOA. And Soul Hackers isn't even out in Japan at this point.

They posted what appears to be a full list of up and coming games bellow the mini list with release dates of games. That list had 1st and 3rd party stuff on it, and EOIV wasn't on the list. Atlus stuff was on the list to so it's not like they just didn't include Atlus games.

Foffy

Banned
I love how even with this list, Nintendo of America is still Nintendo of America. Seriously, Q4 for releases of Game Boy Color games?

EktorPR

FFS the 3 games I wanted to buy in the 2nd half of this year either we have been told they've been pushed to 2013 ie Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion or else they just aren't on the list ie Castlevania which isn't a good sign.

This makes me salty as fuck about the system as a whole right now.

Thing is, we ALREADY knew about Fire Emblem's slip to 2013. Castlevania is Konami's knot to figure out... Sad, because I really want it as well, but NOA can't do anything about it. And we still don't know the exact reasons as to why Dark Moon got delayed. Can't wait to hear more about it.

Luigi's Mansion and Castlevania (probably) delayed? No Animal Crossing or Fire Emblem (expected, but still)?

And Nintendo wonders why the 3DS isn't catching on outside of Japan.

Exactly. Why does Nintendo take forever with localization? It seems like forever since Fire Emblem released in Japan, and we(NA) have to most likely wait another 6-9 months.

Tookay

For those asking about Animal Crossing, I'm fairly confident Nintendo is preparing a Wii U version that allows for crossplay and the 3DS version is being delayed until the Wii U version is ready.

I have absolutely zero inside sources for this. Just a gut feeling that's why we haven't seen hardly anything about it in the states since last E3.

I don't think this is going to happen. There'd have to be significant retooling of the 3DS game to make it work.

It feels like Nintendo can barely utilize the resources they have, as it is.

Vibed

Code of Princess
Adventure Time
Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion
Harvest Moon: A New Beginning
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
Freakyforms Deluxe: Your Creations, Alive!
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Fluidity: Spin Cycle
Wario Land II
Unchained Blades
999: Virtue's Last Reward
Castlevania: Mirror of Fate

The line up is missing a few things like Luigi's Mansion, Etrian Odyssey, Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing (I thought they were all 2013 anyway, some were confirmed to be before), but with all the above and maybe a few missing I would hardly call that disappointing for the 3DS.

Really though, can't wait for Paper Mario.

Sushigod7

Happy to see Zelda II on the list I'm not a ambassador. Otherwise no good surprises. Not happy to see Luigi slip not sure I care about Sticker Star really didn't seem all that exciting from the demo at E3.

Vanillalite

Thing is, we ALREADY knew about Fire Emblem's slip to 2013. Castlevania is Konami's knot to figure out... Sad, because I really want it as well, but NOA can't do anything about it. And we still don't know the exact reasons as to why Dark Moon got delayed. Can't wait to hear more about it.

Just cause we already knew doesn't make it any less erroneous considering FE has been out for months now in Japan.

Mpl90

About the commercial potential of this lineup, since Ninendo is VERY interested in having momentum again, there's a way: BUNDLES. Like last year, I'm sure there will be many bundles. One positive thing is that IF the momentum is created, this will be well sustained at the beginning of next year, something which lacked this year.

They posted what appears to be a full list of up and coming games bellow the mini list with release dates of games. That list had 1st and 3rd party stuff on it, and EOIV wasn't on the list. Atlus stuff was on the list to so it's not like they just didn't include Atlus games.

See the charts below for a partial list of upcoming games and software for hand-held Nintendo systems (details subject to change).

This seems to extend to holiday 2012. Not Q1 2013. EOIV, RFIV, Soul Hackers, etc were never going to be 2012 games. Fire Emblem was confirmed for 2013 at E3.

Mpl90

See the charts below for a partial list of upcoming games and software for hand-held Nintendo systems (details subject to change).

This seems to extend to holiday 2012. Not Q1 2013. EOIV, RFIV, Soul Hackers, etc were never going to be 2012 games. Fire Emblem was confirmed for 2013 at E3.

And it's partial too ( saying this for Castlevania).

TDLink

There are Konami games on the list though. Why would NOA just leave a big game like Castlevania off the list then? They'd have to know people would fucking notice.

Announce more dates at a Nintendo Direct? Or allow the publisher to do it themselves at a conference like Gamescom or TGS?

Mpl90

There are Konami games on the list though. Why would NOA just leave a big game like Castlevania off the list then? They'd have to know people would fucking notice.

Maybe because in the next days Konami will announce the release date for this year and then say "SURPISE!"
I still remember a Sega PR where they listed every title aside Mad World, despite this having a release date already. It's possible.

rjc571

Banned
So Luigi's Mansion got delayed but we're getting a sequel to Fluidity, the best downloadable game of the generation, in its place? Sounds like an upgrade to me.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Because there is no release date?

Top Bottom