• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin' |OT| Survival Season Without The G

Sarcastic Bryan wasn't great, but he was at least likable where Cena is a pandering chucklehead. And even when the Punk/Heyman feud got dull, both Punk and Heyman were at least giving it their all and got some good promos out between the two of them.

Vince can disagree with whatever he likes, but there's a difference between growing a business and truly being forward-thinking and looking to the future. He had that when he was young, but he's clearly ossified and lacks any sense of daring, given the way he books these days.

Edit: and considering ratings pretty much always went UP during Bryan's segments after Summerslam, I don't know how one could come to the conclusion that he couldn't draw or be good for business. Casuals were enjoying him just as much as the IWC. The same was true during the Summer of Punk.

I completely agree with your first two paragraph, except that I don't think being ossified and stagnant will hurt the WWE when they're the only game in town. They may never have another 1998-2001 era in business, but they can cost on this current level (as long as they aren't too dumb business-wise, like starting another XFL) for a long, long time.

As for your last paragraph, MitB 2011 actually didn't draw all that well, then it got screwed up right after. Yes, Bryan increased ratings, but not enough in their eyes. You can disagree with that and like I've said, the booking post-Summerslam was horrible. My problem isn't with people who say Bryan should've won the title at either NoC or Battleground, the lost it at another point. My problem is with people who think Bryan and Punk can be the top 2 guys in the compan long-term.

WWE makes way more from television rights and ads per year than PPVs, right? PPVs seem like bonus money from an outdated system.

If I remember the WWE's financials, it's basically even now, with PPV being slightly bigger, but the next rights fee deal will likely mean TV Revenue is a lot bigger.

Ithil

I completely agree with your first two paragraph, except that I don't think being ossified and stagnant will hurt the WWE when they're the only game in town. They may never have another 1998-2001 era in business, but they can cost on this current level (as long as they aren't too dumb business-wise, like starting another XFL) for a long, long time.

As for your last paragraph, MitB 2011 actually didn't draw all that well, then it got screwed up right after. Yes, Bryan increased ratings, but not enough in their eyes. You can disagree with that and like I've said, the booking post-Summerslam was horrible. My problem isn't with people who say Bryan should've won the title at either NoC or Battleground, the lost it at another point. My problem is with people who think Bryan and Punk can be the top 2 guys in the compan long-term.

If I remember the WWE's financials, it's basically even now, with PPV being slightly bigger, but the next rights fee deal will likely mean TV Revenue is a lot bigger.

I call that bullshit, when they endlessly push Orton, who often DROPS ratings, let alone increase them a lot. It's simply "he's not our guy" where they look for a shit excuse to not push him with blatant confirmation bias.

I call that bullshit, when they endlessly push Orton, who often DROPS ratings, let alone increase them a lot. It's simply "he's not our guy" where they look for a shit excuse to not push him with blatant confirmation bias.

Pretty much. Looking at the situation objectively, Bryan is good for business by any metric save PPV revenue, but it takes time for people to get the sense that somebody will be worthwhile enough to plop down $50.

Jesse - I don't think there are many that are THAT upset that Punk and Bryan aren't the top two guys forever and ever. I think people are upset that they get buried for BS reasons while WWE pushes Cena, who has nothing new to do anymore, and Orton, who burned every bridge but still gets chances because he's "their guy". People are upset at a company that blatantly spits in the face of what its fanbase actually wants, time and again. It's just distressing to see something that's "a business" operated like a carny locker room.

Well, yeah. I don't like it, but if you aren't "their" guy, you either have to prove it by being completely awesome in all aspects of your character (wrestling/charisma/etc.) and be willing to stand up and call Vince out on his shit. Bryan has the first part, but not the second part. Punk has both parts and that's why he's allowed to book his own storylines.

Orton continues to get pushed, not because he necessarily grows business, but because they match their view of a wrestler and he doesn't destroy business. In the long term, they'd rather be comfortable than take a risk. I'm not saying it's fair, right, or even smart. I'm just saying, when it comes to 'their' guys, this is how the WWE has been run since approximately 1984. Learn to live with it or do what I do - only watch the matches that I hear are good and focus on New Japan, CMLL, and random old 80's Mid-South matches. :)

Jesse - I don't think there are many that are THAT upset that Punk and Bryan aren't the top two guys forever and ever. I think people are upset that they get buried for BS reasons while WWE pushes Cena, who has nothing new to do anymore, and Orton, who burned every bridge but still gets chances because he's "their guy". People are upset at a company that blatantly spits in the face of what its fanbase actually wants, time and again. It's just distressing to see something that's "a business" operated like a carny locker room.

Then bluntly, you're going to be unhappy for a long, long time. Wrestling companies have gone with who their comfortable with and whose their buddies with over what was the best idea since literally, Gotch vs. Hackinschmidt. However, now, the WWE just has more of a cushion because they've monopolized the industry and for most people, they are wrestling.

strobogo

Banned

WWE has been coasting for years on their current model. I don't think they've had a non-profitable year since 1998. Actually, I believe they had their most profitable year ever some time during the Cena era. Something unthinkably bad would have to happen for WWE to be in any kind of trouble for probably another 20 years on their current model. They've got it down to a science.

I don't know how Triple H and Vince sit backstage with their headsets on, and stay awake for this crap.

Maybe this is about the time in the show when Vince and HHH and Steph collect the reciepts from the box office...so they appreciate a nice quiet place where they can count the money.

I like how no one mentioned Big Show got punted yet isn't out 2-3 months. You people flipped out when Cena was barely touched by Orton yet didn't sit out.
JakeSnakeDDT ‏@JakeSnakeDDT 52s
Cena kicks out on one after the DDT. Better teach these guys how to do it right.
Seriously, all the DDT's are shitty nowadays.

I like how no one mentioned Big Show got punted yet isn't out 2-3 months. You people flipped out when Cena was barely touched by Orton yet didn't sit out.

We've accepted the fact that the WWE's head physician in storylines is this guy:

ibqwtIW68AGJzw.jpg

Does Del Rio have the biggest ratio of in-ring talent vs. crowd appeal of all time? The guy is a joy to watch wrestle, but he's just a total vacuum of audience emotion.

Edit: sorry, typo.

Top Bottom