• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin' |OT| Survival Season Without The G

G-Fex

I watched a shitty straight-to-DVD Seagal movie (Driven to Kill, I think) a few years back where the end fight was just Seagal completely dominating the other dude, who got like two hits in.

So yeah, that's pretty accurate

On Deadly Ground is the best just for the sheer absurdity.

I'd love to hear Cena do the same environmental speech he did.

Here's the CMLL talent announced for the joint NJPW/CMLL FANTASTICAMANIA 2014 shows next January in Japan;

Technicos; Mistico, La Sombra, Rush, Mascara Dorada, Titan, Maximo, Stuka Jr, Rey Cometa & Fuego

Rudos; Ultimo Guerrero, Volador Jr, Mephisto, Rey Escorpion, Vangelis, Okumura & Niebla Roja

Also, added to the Power Struggle iPPV this Sunday;

BYcwCbMCEAEPjqQ.jpg

Entropia

No One Remembers
FIIIIIIIIIIIIINALLY THE DRUNKTROPIUA HAS
COME
BACK
TO WRASLEFAGE

Hi guys

at blizzcoN! :)

drunk as fuck!

I haven't watch wrestling in awhile hgope y'all ar ewell
<3

Aiii

So not worth it
FIIIIIIIIIIIIINALLY THE DRUNKTROPIUA HAS
COME
BACK
TO WRASLEFAGE

Hi guys

at blizzcoN! :)

drunk as fuck!

I haven't watch wrestling in awhile hgope y'all ar ewell
<3

I will provide
sexual
favors for beta keys.

Just saying.

Aiii

So not worth it
Damn. 1/5th? That's intentionally insulting.

Honestly though, is it?

He's 36, has no name recognition (plus he'd have to change it to Styles or something because there's no way they'd make AJ change her name after putting it on a shitload of merchandise), his mic skills aren't top notch and they're stacked with talent of his size and skill. He's essentially coming in as any other top indie talent and would be offered the same money as they would get.

In TNA he's one of the top talent, but that means shit for WWE, he's not going to bring in any new viewers as TNA's viewers all already watch WWE.

Jamie OD

I'm heading to a WWE house show tonight. Hopefully it will be better than the last one I went to (although to be fair that show was 2 weeks after I went to Mania so of course the experience would drop hard) Judging from last night's show in Belfast I will probably get Rhodes & Big E Vs Shield, Ziggler Vs Sandow and Show Vs Orton. Or if it's the other team I might get Cena Vs Del Rio and Bryan & Punk Vs Wyatt Family, at least according to comments I read on other boards. Either way it should be a nice fun show if nothing else.

strobogo

Banned
Honestly though, is it?

He's 36, has no name recognition (plus he'd have to change it to Styles or something because there's no way they'd make AJ change her name after putting it on a shitload of merchandise), his mic skills aren't top notch and they're stacked with talent of his size and skill. He's essentially coming in as any other top indie talent and would be offered the same money as they would get.

In TNA he's one of the top talent, but that means shit for WWE, he's not going to bring in any new viewers as TNA's viewers all already watch WWE.

Offering less money would obviously happen. But 1/5th? Is AJ really making that much money in TNA to begin with? 1/5th seems like it is sending a message to other TNA wrestlers that Vince/HHH don't give a shit out them.

Aiii

So not worth it
Offering less money would obviously happen. But 1/5th? Is AJ really making that much money in TNA to begin with? 1/5th seems like it is sending a message to other TNA wrestlers that Vince/HHH don't give a shit out them.

I have no clue how much AJ makes exactly, but he's likely one of the best paid performers at any rate. I do know he had a deal that had guaranteed yearly raises included in the deal. TNA wanted that out of the deal, and that's where there negotiations went bad in the first place.

Thing with WWE is, the real earnings are in the merchandise sales (includes DVD appearances and what not), so I'd imagine the base pay might be less in WWE than it is in TNA.

But I have no real knowledge on what AJ's guaranteed, but I'd imagine it's quite a bit more than the average midcarder in WWE gets.

Kaladin

Here's the CMLL talent announced for the joint NJPW/CMLL FANTASTICAMANIA 2014 shows next January in Japan;

Technicos; Mistico, La Sombra, Rush, Mascara Dorada, Titan, Maximo, Stuka Jr, Rey Cometa & Fuego

Rudos; Ultimo Guerrero, Volador Jr, Mephisto, Rey Escorpion, Vangelis, Okumura & Niebla Roja

Also, added to the Power Struggle iPPV this Sunday;

BYcwCbMCEAEPjqQ.jpg

What's Bo Dallas doing in New Japan wearing a mask? o.0

Recall

Being diehard into ROH from 2002 until 2009 had its benefits in that I bought every show during that period on DVD (even VHS back in the day) . Now I'm going back and re-watching them and reviewing them too. Surprised how much of 2008 I had forgotten, but 2003 and 2006 still are my favourite years.

Tempted to get back into the modern version even if it is a shell of its former self, anyone have any insight on this, any shows or matches worth looking at?

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

WCW Monday Nitro 8/9/99

Show starts with a recap of all the stupid shit from last week. The only things promoted for this week are Rad Bork performing and Randy Savage to reveal the driver of the Hummer. Tony is back this week. Sting has relinquished his control of WCW and given it back to WCW. Dusty Rhodes has been named head of the Championship committee and a new president will be named soon.

Norman Smiley/TAFKATAFKAPI/Lash LeRoux vs The Deadpool

I wish Deadpool did commentary for WCW. ICP wrestling and getting screen time over actual wrestlers is offensive. Prince sucks, Lash is okay, Norman is way out of place in this garbage. Fat Clown and Vamp do a second rope Hart Attack. DDT from Skinny Clown. Fat Clown makes the mistake of headbutting a guy from an island in the Pacific. Although before that, I don't ever remember Prince using that trope. Norman finally gets tagged in slams everyone, which makes Brain mark the fuck out. We don't get to see the big wiggle because TNT won't show it anymore. It's some Elvis hip shit. Fat Clown pinned Lash with a moonsault.

iQoKw2E07KgiX.gif

Nitro Girls dance.

TO THE BACK. The Revolution talk to Dusty Rhodes and want to know if there are changes on the way. Dusty says changes are on the way, but it is up to them to take advantage. David Flair walks by and Benoit puts him in the Iron Crossface. Dusty books them in a match later tonight for the title.

Public Enemy vs Curt Hennig/Barry Windham

The Rednecks have a new song, Good Old Boys. It's definitely not as catchy. Barry is back to wearing trunks, though still with a t-shirt. Grunge somehow gained 50 pounds in his few weeks in the WWF. Barry was put through a table. One of the other Rednecks hit Grunge with a cow bell which the camera totally missed and Hennig made the cover for the win.

i1QQydD4VtqZT.gif

Little Jeanie vs Mona

I wonder what the point of doing all these women's matches is when WCW had no plans to revive the division or title. It was all just for Madusa vs Mona and that's it. Mona won quickly with a wacky pin. Brandi Alexander ran out to attack her and was instead knocked on her ass. A tit may have popped out.

TO THE BACK. Weird thing of following Hogan to Gorilla position. He was attacked by Sid, Nash, and Rick Steiner while doing his awful squats. The worst form I've ever seen. Goldberg and Sting ran out to make the save. Hulk decides to put his career on the line against Nash at the PPV. He offers a challenge for a six man tag. Sting wants Nash to put his career on the line at the PPV if the faces win tonight. Goldberg claims Rick doesn't have anything to put on the line (TV Championship BURIED), except for his ass. Nash agrees to all challenges. Hulk also claimed that Sting and Goldberg were his best friends. WHAT?!?!

A Thunder commercial that was made up 100% of things in the first month and a half of the show.

Chris Benoit vs David Flair WCW US Championship

Nick Patrick sends Charles Robinson away, which means David is probably about to get murdered. Benoit's first victim. David repeatedly tried to bail, only to be forced back in the ring by Dean and Saturn. He does a great job of looking scared as fuck, probably because he knows Benoit is going to knock the shit out of him for real. Benoit actually kind of took it easy on him. There were only 2 chops. They were hard, but he didn't knock the shit out of David like you'd expect. The Triad tried to interfere, but were cut off by Dean and Saturn. Diving headbutt for the win. New champion! DDP did make it to the ring to get a few shots in on Benoit with his belt before getting sent off by the rest of the Revolution. Benoit challenged DDP to a no DQ title match at Road Wild, where he will TWO TIME TWO TIME TWO TIME kick Page's ass.

iQ1hihd3suJE6.gif

Nitro Girls awkwardly dance.

TO THE MEAN GENE. Randy Savage and Gorgeous George come to the ring. Savage said he'd reveal the driver of the Hummer tonight. I'm sure he won't. Even though Gene said George was with him Savage, she wasn't. She's not coming back until Rodman is gone. More dirt dusting. Dennis Rodman WILL DIE. He says absolutely nothing about the driver of the Hummer. Gene mentioned it, Tony mentioned it. Savage didn't even acknowledge it, even though he made a point to say he would reveal the driver, who is also George's security guard, on this Nitro. Instead, he cut a shorter version of his promo from Thunder.

Rey Mysterio Jr./Eddie Guerrero vs Dave Taylor/Chris Adams

Is Chris Adams replacing Finlay? Regal isn't out there. I know he wasn't back to the WWF yet, but I don't know where he's at. Rey continues to hold the Cruiserweight Championship, despite facing only heavyweights now. Eddie and Rey won in a quick match with a super rana/frog splash combo. The lucha Power Plex. Vamp and ICP tried to attack after the match, but were fought off when Kidman also ran in.

TO THE MEAN GENE. The West Texas Rednecks are the guests. Tony claims the Perfect "has always" taken exception to music that wasn't his being played on the show. By "always", I guess he meant 2 months. Gene clearly isn't sure who Chad Brock is. But his name was heavily booed when mentioned by Gene. Hennig said he was going to kick Chad Flop's ass, which got a pop.

Kidman vs Disco Inferno

I wish Disco was doing something. He was the guy who started the young guys vs old guys angle, which really just turned into The Revolution vs Ric Flair, and now that Flair is gone, it's just a stable with their main point of forming not existing anymore. At the start, Randy Savage was also involved. Actually, Disco calling Savage out is what started the angle. It quickly just became Flair, with the real main eventers not being involved at all. Then Sting randomly decides to save Dean and take the angle over even in kayfabe, and now it's over. So the old guys vs young guys angle which had the purpose of getting the 4 guys into the main events, was ended in one match by a guy who has been a main eventer for nearly 10 years. YOU CAN'T POWERBOMB KIDMAN. Vamp caused a DQ. He hit a super Nail in the Coffin. ICP and Raven also joined in on the beat down. Disco tried to help Kidman and was beaten down himself. Eddie and Rey made the save. Disco offered a handshake to Rey. Rey jumped up to hug him and Disco stormed off. Weird.

i8Pi4SOWFnfNG.gif

Buff Bagwell vs Scott Norton

Norton doesn't even get nWo music. VICIOUS AND DELICIOUS EXLPOOOOOOODDDEEE!!! Hopefully the nWo is finally dead for a bit. Cat came out to dance on the stage a bit. Sonny hit Buff with a briefcase. Buff kicked out. Norton saw Cat and couldn't help but to knock him on his ass. Buff hit the Blockbuster on Sonny and the match was thrown out. I'm not sure who was disqualified, since Norton attacked Cat and Buff attacked Sonny, but neither guy interfering actually did anything in front of the ref to cause a DQ.

CHAD BROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He didn't even get an intro. In fact, they just came back from commercial and his band had already started. Jobber entrance for a musical act. This song is stupid. The fans are booing him when he tried to get them pumped up. He also spent the whole time just staring into the camera. Curt Hennig came out as the song was finished and they got into a confrontation. The Revolution came out to back Rad Bork up and there was a stare down. It sucked, I dislike country a lot, but it was still better than that awful Megadeath performance.

KISS will be here on the 23rd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! More musical performances on wrestling shows, which no one ever, ever likes.

Nitro Girls dance.

Kanyon vs Booker T.

YO MAMA jokes. Triad...the worst. And I'm sure it was 100% DDP, because that seems like the kind of shit he'd find hilarious. Stevie looks like a mark ass NERD with his glasses on. The Triad were sent away, but Stevie got to stay. Book dominated Kanyon until there was a ref bump, which meant DDP and Bam Bam came back out. Kanyon won after a title belt to the head and a Flatliner. BANG!

TO THE MEAN GENE. Dennis Rodman is the guest. He comes out to Voodoo Child. Rodman is such a try hard. He again says Macho Asshole and is going to make sure George knows she's his bitch. Is that like, rape? Savage hit the ring and Rodman ran away. Security and police hold Savage back. So, who is the heel here? Rodman kidnapped Macho's girl and is apparently banging her while she's being held captive, he runs away from Savage repeatedly and only attacks from behind, but the announcers act like Savage is the heel. I don't see how.

Kevin Nash/Sid/Rick Steiner vs Hollywood Hogan/Sting/Goldberg

Hogan randomly comes back out in the red and yellow and to American Made. Tony acts like it is the biggest thing EVER. So, not only is Hulk back to being the top babyface world champion in 1999, now he's back to the red and yellow and is a super face. Was there really that much nostalgia for red and yellow after 3 years? The nostalgia wave when he came back to the WWF made sense. Sure doesn't make sense in WCW to me. However, the crowd was hot for it. They've been hot for everything because Idaho was pretty starved for wrestling. Hogan dominates all 3 heels with ease. Goldberg does the same thing. So does Sting. Ref bump. A pretty shitty one, since Sting just threw Nash right into the ref. Should have been a DQ. This allowed Rick to hit Sting with a chair. Goldberg speared him. Sid hit Goldberg with a chair. Hogan then hit Sid and Nash with the chair. Sting put Nash in the Deathlock. A new ref hit the ring and didn't' care that Hulk was still in the ring with a chair. Nash apparently was knocked out by a chair shot to the back. The faces win and Nash will now put his career on the line at Road Wild.

ibp7KlCJtqPCIJ.gif

ibpGyilsAgTXos.gif

DQ Count: 2 out of 9 matches.

Even with probably the hottest crowd WCW had all year, the show still sucked. ICP shouldn't be wrestling and beating actual wrestlers. There shouldn't be musical performances. Only two things were promoted for this show: Chad Brock and Randy Savage revealing the driver of the Hummer. Savage didn't mentioned the Hummer even once in his promo.

DiscoJon

Banned
Strobo, what time zone are you in? I've got a pretty messed up sleep schedule, so these recaps you do are a welcome to my insomnia.

DiscoJon

Banned
It's the sleepiest "major" city imaginable.

No shit. I did feel oddly safe walking back to my hotel after closing out Basey's (a bar by the stadium) at 4 in the morning. I was pretty hammered though.

The Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument is pretty cool, my hotel was right by it on that circle.

I will say this: if you like to go bar hopping, Indy has a ton of options.

Kaladin

Being diehard into ROH from 2002 until 2009 had its benefits in that I bought every show during that period on DVD (even VHS back in the day) . Now I'm going back and re-watching them and reviewing them too. Surprised how much of 2008 I had forgotten, but 2003 and 2006 still are my favourite years.

Tempted to get back into the modern version even if it is a shell of its former self, anyone have any insight on this, any shows or matches worth looking at?

Agreed, those were Gabe Sapolsky's most creative years IMO. I still enjoy everything up to his release though. It felt like every show meant something.....every show had some hook to get you to spend $20 or at least get it on a sale.

So, I guess Miz saw the gif, because he turned heel at the Belfast house show last night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd1SxBjpwy4#t=1m30s

I can't tell if Miz is a worse as a face or worse as a heel, wish he'd just drop the really shit already.

On the positive end of things Ohno/Harper was pretty great on NXT, Ohno's striking is the best in the company by far. I doubt it will happen but I hope he gets called up soon to team with Punk/Bryan given his feud with Luke and the fact they brought up that he's gone against all the current indy guys on commentary.

strobogo

Banned
Changing the back tire was a bitch. Fucking chain. Also, I've never changed bike tires until this week since I fucking hated riding bikes as a kid. I didn't learn how to ride until I was 7 or 8 and spent 5-11 with running my own wrestling figure promotion, and then 11-today with video games and shitty wrasslin.

jred2k

Nothing makes me feel like less of a man than having to try like 3 or 4 wrenches before I get the correct one because I have no idea how bolt sizing works.

Fuck wrenches and fractions of inches.

Aiii

So not worth it
Changing the back tire was a bitch. Fucking chain. Also, I've never changed bike tires until this week since I fucking hated riding bikes as a kid. I didn't learn how to ride until I was 7 or 8 and spent 5-11 with running my own wrestling figure promotion, and then 11-today with video games and shitty wrasslin.

Poor Strob.

Don't ever live in The Netherlands:
bikes1.jpg

strobogo

Banned
It really is the worst. Someone says "Go get a 3/8ths or quarter half third socket pliers" and I'm like:

izjlz5Bkz4YDN.gif

ibhCaQputcQGSN.gif

Poor Strob.

Don't ever live in The Netherlands:

I'm just new to trying to fix shit. I'm not the kind of guy you call when you need fixing done, but this bike is kind of old and janky, so I've needed to do work on it and it is frustrating when you have no idea how to do anything involved.

bjork

Honestly though, is it?

Fuck, man. true but harsh, pipe bomb.

So supposedly, WWE did make A.J. Styles an offer after his TNA contract expired in August. Styles immediately turned it down because WWE offered only 1/5 of the money he was making in TNA.

I like to think they weren't really interested in AJ as much as just being able to hire TNA's current champion to make TNA look even more amateur.

I was kind of surprised that AJ Styles got an offer at all but I thought he would at least get a fair one. It seems so weird that I grew up watching this guy. I was 15 and I think he was still managed by Mortimer Plumtree (though this was in October so maybe this was after) and he was a face and then he got his first TNA Title run in the summer of 03 and began to be managed by Russo.

Striker

Vince is too busy paying guys like Big Show and the Great Khali in seven figure salaries.

AJ would be a solid performer in the WWE in the midcard/upper midcard if he had joined. A lot better to see than the likes of Kofi, Axel, Miz, etc.

The lower salaries in WWE are like 60k-80k, no?

So AJ makes around 300k-400k in TNA?

Not bad.

My guess would be that he doesn't just make money from TNA, but does local independents. I know that indy names like Punk, Hero, and especially Bryan took a massive cut when they first went into developmental.

I also figure that they must be offering even cheaper developmental contracts given what a huge pool they have at the performance centre to draw from.

I was kind of surprised that AJ Styles got an offer at all but I thought he would at least get a fair one. It seems so weird that I grew up watching this guy. I was 15 and I think he was still managed by Mortimer Plumtree (though this was in October so maybe this was after) and he was a face and then he got his first TNA Title run in the summer of 03 and began to be managed by Russo.

*Plumtree trips Amazing Red, then turns and points at something imaginary in the air/crowd*

DAMN YOU PLUMTREE

Literally one of my favorite bits ever. I'll still do that shit to people to this day

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yea he studdered too much but the content was good .

Also Next week is mayhem 99.!

Jeezus, I can't wait. I sure do enjoy Review-A-Wai, it's been my go-to every week for a couple years now. I could do without all the personal shit in the beginning, but it's just a matter of finding where the show ACTUALLY starts. Once it gets going it's smooth sailing. Nobody gives a fuck about these stupid personal stories.

Top Bottom