• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

Vita's numbers are horrible, in particular if you look them with respect to November sales. And software? My God, now I understand why no one is developing on that thing. Persona 4, supposedly "the best game ever", is below 100k, Jesus.

AHA-Lambda

Just up, not reading through 37 pages :-/

So... Any indication on Pachter's assumptions bout Halo 4 and Black Ops 2? What about Far Cry 3?

Those 360 numbers are ridiculous. Microsoft has the U.S market in their back pocket... they are dominant. Sony and Nintendo can barely make a dent it seems. Next generation will be no effort needed on the part of Microsoft; they just need to release the 720 with a Call of Duty and they win North America. Game, set and match. Good luck, Sony.

The assumed PS3 numbers are very, very disappointing. Sony trying to milk out as much money from the current price of the console as they can. They missed a big opportunity, I think. I wonder if they are going to wait for The Last of Us to drop the price. They completely bungled the entire holiday season and had no real big game to sell and tried to focus on the casual aspect, that no one cared for. No support the Vita and barely anything for the PS3. What are they doing?

Vita likely didn't even pass 200k, if that. Just fading away...

Those Wii-U numbers are terrible. I really wonder how long Nintendo can keep telling everyone that everything is alright, because it isn't... however, those 3DS numbers are really good.

Vita's numbers are horrible, in particular if you look them with respect to November sales. And software? My God, now I understand why no one is developing on that thing. Persona 4, supposedly "the best game ever", is below 100k, Jesus.

Kinda hard to judge software if Sony isnt going to give us digital sales. I dont know a single Vita owner that buys retail versions. It's cheaper to buy digital, and also more immediate without the fear of losing it all ala Nintendo.

Just up, not reading through 37 pages :-/

So... Any indication on Pachter's assumptions bout Halo 4 and Black Ops 2? What about Far Cry 3?

What were they? Halo 4 is outpacing all other Halos at this point. Pachter's statement that Wii U would do 750k in December was obviously wayyyyyyyyyyyy off, so not sure how seriously we should take anything he said about those games.

Striek

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Those 360 numbers are ridiculous. Microsoft has the U.S market in their back pocket... Sony and Nintendo can barely make a dent. Next generation will be no effort needed on the part of Microsoft. They just need to release the 720 with a Call of Duty and they win North America. Game, set and match. Good luck, Sony.

Lol im sure sony thought the same thing before the ps3 launch, cept replace cod with gta. You never know how these things will play out.

Kinda hard to judge software if Sony isnt going to give us digital sales. I dont know a single Vita owner that buys retail versions. It's cheaper to buy digital, and also more immediate without the fear of losing it all ala Nintendo.

Even if digital sales double the numbers we have (and I'm really doubtful this is true), games are selling like shit. Next year, the top selling game couldn't even reach the 200k mark, given the announcements we have. The situation is terrible, hardware-wise and software-wise.

Lol im sure sony thought the same thing before the ps3 launch, cept replace cod with gta. You never know how these things will play out.

True, you're right. But I think with the advent of Call of Duty really taking off as the multiplayer game of choice and the association the game kind of has with Xbox Live thanks to Microsoft going balls to the wall with marketing it with Activision and the deals they've made, it changes the dynamic a bit.

Yeah, anything can happen. I just think Microsoft has a very, very strong position going into the next gen.

offshore

I think we know that MS aren't going to let COD out of their grasp. Hell, given Sony's complete marketing and promotion incompetence, Acti probably don't even want Sony anywhere near marketing rights for COD.

Miles X

The difference with MS is, if they feel it's slipping away they have the funds (and have proven they have the ferocity) to claw it back however best they can.

Unlike Sony who had to idly stand by and watch it crumble.

liger05

3DS & Vita software has to be reduced in price. Nintendo have to be looking at the 3DS software sales and realise something has to give. Drop $10 of the release prices already

Zen

Banned
I said it because it uses the piece of garbage MNR engine. If you can't hit and maintain 60 FPS in a current gen console Kart game, don't make it. MNR was bad, so reskinning it with LBP was going to fool people? LBPK is as good as any MK? Oy. No. Not even subjectively.

Frame drops don't magically make it a bad game and the engine seems massively improved over MNR. Honestly, I'm not sure what to do with the rest of your post since it's completely bonkers (lols at the subjective comment, that makes no sense). LBPK is just as good as any recent Mario game, and the track creation just makes it even better.

I'd also question if you've even played karting, judging by the tone of your post.

AHA-Lambda

What were they? Halo 4 is outpacing all other Halos at this point. Pachter's statement that Wii U would do 750k in December was obviously wayyyyyyyyyyyy off, so not sure how seriously we should take anything he said about those games.

He said CoD had declined again yoy and that Halo 4 had apparently "not met lofty expectations" from MS.

Only one Wii U third party game above 100K total LTD is flat out atrocious. Wow.
Well, the 3rd party games were largely just ports that ran better on other platforms where there are larger online communities, so there wasn't much reason to buy them unless you don't own a PS3 or 360.

Striek

He said CoD had declined again yoy and that Halo 4 had apparently "not met lofty expectations" from MS.

Halo 4 has had some sick price promotions that Halo 3 never had, and launched in November, to be fair. I don't think Halo 3 was widely available for $40 1-2 months from launch.

Even if digital sales double the numbers we have (and I'm really doubtful this is true), games are selling like shit. Next year, the top selling game couldn't even reach the 200k mark, given the announcements we have. The situation is terrible, hardware-wise and software-wise.

I have no idea. What's the attach rate for Vita based on retail alone? Are game sales bad overall or simply bad because Vita sales are also abysmal?

Frame drops don't magically make it a bad game and the engine seems massively improved over MNR. Honestly, I'm not sure what to do with the rest of your post since it's completely bonkers (lols at the subjective comment, that makes no sense). LBPK is just as good as any recent Mario game, and the track creation just makes it even better.

I'd also question if you've even played karting, judging by the tone of your post.

Yes, I've played it and I think it's awful. My comment about "subjective" was a joke. Obviously if you feel that way, you feel that way. And yes, to me, framerate problems in a Kart game make it a bad game. I can't think of a MK game released in the past 10 years that have suffered framerate problems.

I was expecting 500,000, at the max 600,000 for Wii U in December, so that was disappointing to hear.

I don't think the hardware price is the issue, it just needs games! NSMBU, Nintendo Land and Zombie U were fine launch titles, but it needs a supporting cast afterward to keep the momentum. Nintendo acted like they were going to learn their lesson from the 3DS, but where's Lego City Undercover? Rayman Legends? Wonderful 101? Pikmin 3? (I mention these because they interest me the most) These were all claimed to be launch window right? How can you not have anything of note for January? Heck, even December?

SmokyDave

Man, those 3DS 3rd party sales. Angry Birds on top of the pile didn't surprise me though.

Vita software sales are dire too but look better when you take into account the disparity in hardware sales between the handhelds.

It's astonishing to see how quickly people came to accept that smartphones / tablets were slapping handhelds around.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I was expecting 500,000, at the max 600,000 for Wii U in December, so that was disappointing to hear.

I don't think the hardware price is the issue, it just needs games! NSMBU, Nintendo Land and Zombie U were fine launch titles, but it needs a supporting cast afterward to keep the momentum. Nintendo acted like they were going to learn their lesson from the 3DS, but where's Lego City Undercover? Rayman Legends? Wonderful 101? Pikmin 3? (I mention these because they interest me the most) These were all claimed to be launch window right? How can you not have anything of note for January? Heck, even December?

December is when the game buying for new titles slows down, and Janurary is the worstr month for new game releases.

I have no idea. What's the attach rate for Vita based on retail alone? Are game sales bad overall or simply bad because Vita sales are also abysmal?.

Vita software sales range based on CS post.
Max=3.617 milion(+whatever games he didn't list)
Min=2.120 million

Average should get us close to the number, so about 2.868 million. Attach rate would be about 2.3

And this apparently includes bundles so the official NPD sold attach rate would be less.

Man, those 3DS 3rd party sales. Angry Birds on top of the pile didn't surprise me though.

Vita software sales are dire too but look better when you take into account the disparity in hardware sales between the handhelds.

It's astonishing to see how quickly people came to accept that smartphones / tablets were slapping handhelds around.

At least, third parties sell more than nicely on Japan on 3DS, so they still have a territory where they perform well.

Eternia

So with this from the November NPD:
vita: ac3 bundle + cod bundle = 180k

And this from December NPD:
PSP < 50K < ... < 200K < PSV < 250K < ... < 600k < PS3 < 650K

Sorry, the correct percentage should be: cod+ac3+madden13 ~ 85% PSV

Vita NPD software for CoD and AC3:
Vita SW LTD
Include bundle, and I have no idea which one is 1st party so I post all.

cod
u:ga
ac3

CoD + AC3 = 517K-617K total sold with 350K-392.5K (minus Madden) bundled

That's a lot of bundled software...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The poster you responded to said it sold less than the PS3 in December 2006.

eh ok you're right. but still.

alright, the thread reaction went "OMG bomba" > "hahaha bomba" > "is it worse than the PS3 and 360?" > "in December, yes, but for Nov + Dec, no, it actually did better" > everyone stopped talking about it

Claymores

Banned
So WII U is doing ok in the US, EU is the only place Nintendo really needs to be concerned about.

I can't really see how Sony can keep this up with the Vita with little to no third party support it's just going to die a slow drawn out death.

Zombiiiiiiiiiii is the only 3rd party Wii U game > 100k (LTD)
And super super wonder wonder book still < 40k (LTD)

OK, see you next month.

WOW!! This is by far the biggest news in this entire thread.
I can't imagine 3rd parties seeing these numbers and bringing games to the Wii U now.
BLOPS 2 being under 100k is especially troubling in regards to future support.

SmokyDave

At least, third parties sell more than nicely on Japan on 3DS, so they still have a territory where they perform well.
Doesn't help if you live in the west and prefer western style games though. In fact, given the device is region-locked, it doesn't really help if you live in the west and prefer Japanese style games.

Watching it happen in real-time does make for an interesting narrative changer.
I feel entitled to say "I called it!".

eh ok you're right. but still.

alright, the thread reaction went "OMG bomba" > "hahaha bomba" > "is it worse than the PS3 and 360?" > "in December, yes, but for Nov + Dec, no, it actually did better" > everyone stopped talking about it

Can't compare it to any console that was supply constrained. Doesn't make sense. If you go simply by Nintendo's own estimates for what it will do before April 2013, you can see why these numbers are bad. Unless you're betting on the Wii U to sell better in non-holiday months, which I'm going to say isn't going to happen given that release list of theirs.

Doesn't help if you live in the west and prefer western style games though. In fact, given the device is region-locked, it doesn't really help if you live in the west and prefer Japanese style games.

I feel entitled to say "I called it!".

Actually it does. It's the difference between hoping for an existing game to be localized vs the game not existing at all.

Top Bottom