• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
One thing I'd like to know is when will 3rd Parties stop blaming Nintendo for their poor success? They should blame themselves. Most of the 3rd Party games on Wii suck and the ones that are good get no marketing. Note to Wii 3rd Parties: Make good games and actually have a marketing budget!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Odysseus said:
when you're losing the battle, redefine it

For 2007, Sony Computer Entertainment's PLAYSTATION 3 was the #1 choice among consumers looking for a video game console that also features a true, next generation movie watching experience out of the box. For 2008, Sony Computer Entertainment expects this trend to continue.

Fredescu said:
Fair enough. The "console war" is definitely over. I do hope for a strong second place showing by someone though.

Oh, comeon. The Wii hasn't "won" anything yet and if you judge a console by its software, its probably the worst console in the running.

jman2050

jaaz said:
Um, if you include the $250 Wii in the war, of course it won. Who would argue otherwise?

And if you exclude the DS, 360, Wii, PS2, and PSP, the PS3 is dominating the charts! Who would argue otherwise?

Speevy said:
You're going to have to be a bit more specific.

The PS2 is selling amazingly well considering the year. If this were 2003, I'd say the PS2 numbers were less than stellar, though.
The 360 isn't the PS2 though.

And coming off of the Xbox this is pretty good and consistent performance.

Anyone still rallying around the idea that there will be a "PS2" again this generation is dreaming. Sure you'll see one steadily outpace the others, and another with absurdly high game sales regardless of userbase.

But that seems to be more of a sectioning of the PS2's userbase to MS and Nintendo. Nintendo seems to have gained either a new "mass market" or eating into Sony's "mass market" while keeping their Core segment. MS seems to be grabbing a section of Sony's Core gamer group, and keeping their own with little in between.

Sony right now I've got little clue to whom they're selling. I'd say it's a wash between their Core segment, and given the low software sales maybe some AV lovers.

The American market is changing, but nowhere near as drastically as the market in Japan, all that seems to be happening in America is a shift in fortunes, not the total protonic reversal that's happening in Japan today.

Fredescu

jaaz said:
Um, if you include the $250 Wii in the war, of course it won. Who would argue otherwise?
Since it's a console, you kinda would include it. Whether it caters to your tastes or not is entirely irrelevant. If its victory leads to a $250 Xbox 720 and PS4, all the better.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
IronicallyTwisted said:
Oh, comeon. The Wii hasn't "won" anything yet and if you judge a console by its software, its probably the worst console in the running.

You're fucking kidding me right?

WinFonda

BenjaminBirdie said:
They're the top software platform. Enormous difference. If I thought it was about publishing, why would I have explicitly stated "Even if they published zero titles"?
Because you seem to think Microsoft is the main benefactor of games like GTA4, and Resident Evil 5, and all the other titles listed in their press release when in reality it's the publishers (i.e. Take-Two and Capcom.)

And does anyone really believe RE5 is an '08 title?

Fredescu

IronicallyTwisted said:
Sure it has. It's software is equal last with the PS3 as far as core games though, I agree. Even including handhelds in the mix.

jaaz

jman2050 said:
And if you exclude the DS, 360, Wii, PS2, and PSP, the PS3 is dominating the charts! Who would argue otherwise?

Apparently you. :lol

To suggest that the price of the Wii, DS, and PSP has nothing to do with the difference in sales between those systems and the 360 or PS3 is quite an amusing argument!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
IronicallyTwisted said:
The PS3's 08 lineup shits all over the Wii's, and the PS3 is still maintaining much more quality support from third parties than the Wii is.
We have no idea what half the lineup is for the Wii, I'd wait and see who has the better lineup.

Norml

Speevy said:
You're going to have to be a bit more specific.

The PS2 is selling amazingly well considering the year. If this were 2003, I'd say the PS2 numbers were less than stellar, though.

I meant do you know what its Dec 2006 numbers were, just curious.

goldenpp72

yeah, and that figure doesn't include canada which actually sold a good amount of halo 3. Halo 3 is probably nearish 7 million sold to consumers now.

Still a bit before it beats halo 2 though.

Fredescu said:
Sure it has. It's software is equal last with the PS3 as far as core games though, I agree. Even including handhelds in the mix.
It's not possible for it to be equal.

Unless Zelda and Mario have become "nongames" since I started posting.

It's not even possible for it to be equal just looking at 3rd parties. Does the PS3 even have one 3rd party million seller?

tanod

when is my burrito
Just a quick FYI for all other Sales-Agers:

Resistance (world-wide) is at "over 2 million copies sold through"

It was on the Insomniac podcast that came out today.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
voltron said:
So do we have an explanation for this? Oh I just realised the 8.1 million number is world wide right?

EarthAS17.jpg

There r other citizans in the earth

Jammy

Banned
* Nintendo accounted for 52 percent of all video game hardware systems sold in 2007 – more than all other manufacturers combined.* Since their respective launches, Nintendo has sold more than 17.6 million Nintendo DS systems and nearly 7.4 million Wii systems in the United States alone.
* Wii Play™, a collection of nine fun mini-games, finished 2007 with 4.1 million units sold.
* Super Mario Galaxy™ sold through more than 2.5 million copies since it launched on Nov. 12.

* The two games in the Brain Age® series each sold about 1 million copies in 2007.
* Half of the top 30 best-selling games of 2007 were made for Nintendo systems, including Pokemon® Pearl, Pokemon® Diamond, Mario Party® DS, Guitar Hero III™: Legends of Rock and Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games™.
* Nintendo continues to dominate the hand-held market: Of the top 30 best-selling portable games sold in 2007, 25 were made for Nintendo DS and another two were made for Game Boy® Advance.* Sales of Nintendo DS systems grew 60 percent over those from 2006.
* In 2007, the video game industry grew by 43 percent over 2006. Nintendo is responsible for 60 percent of that growth.

* Nintendo continues to dominate the hand-held market: Of the top 30 best-selling portable games sold in 2007, 25 were made for Nintendo DS and another two were made for Game Boy® Advance.

HOLY FUCKING CRAP!

Fredescu

Thunder Monkey said:
It's not possible for it to be equal.

Unless Zelda and Mario have become "nongames" since I started posting.

It's not even possible for it to be equal just looking at 3rd parties. Does the PS3 even have one 3rd party million seller?
In this case I was talking about quality not sales, since I thought that was what I was responding to. If he meant software sales, then :lol

well, so maybe sonycowboy can't post the entire list, but just to give us an idea, compared to the numbers from that banned site, in a scale of 0 to 10, how close are they? (10 being the closest). just out of curiosity...

and did nba 2k reached a million? combining ps3 ps2 and 360. they got to top that to stay alive (LTD's)

Fredescu said:
In this case I was talking about quality not sales, since I thought that was what I was responding to. If he meant software sales, then :lol
Well even in quality it's a wash since Mario Galaxy = 4 games in quality anyway.:D

Fredescu said:

Obviously I meant quality. And I still maintain PS3 07 > Wii 07, PS3 08 > Wii 08.

Thunder Monkey said:
Well even in quality it's a wash since Mario Galaxy = 4 games in quality anyway.:D

I'd take Rock Band alone over Galaxy. ;-P

jaaz said:
I was referring to the console war between the 360 and the PS3, since the price differential of the Wii makes it an unfair comparison in any event.

The eternal cry of the loser: "It's not fair!"

How close in price do they have to be? The PS2 was $100 more than the Gamecube for a good chunk of last gen.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Any numbers for Persona 3? Both for the month and LTD...that game was pretty much sold out for the latter half of December it seemed...

IronicallyTwisted said:
Obviously I meant quality. And I still maintain PS3 07 > Wii 07, PS3 08 > Wii 08.
Well, that's an argument of taste there man.

That has no baring on the market at large if Sony can't get some significant numbers out there. If their lineup for 08 doesn't change their fortunes I'd doubt anything can.

IronicallyTwisted said:
I'd take Rock Band alone over Galaxy. ;-P
I hope you realize... this means war.

/Daffy Duck

360 MASS EFFECT - ~875K
360 ROCK BAND - ~775K

One of these things is not like the other. One of these things is ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY FUCKING DOLLARS.

Christ. EA/Harmonix are rolling in the Rock Band money, with Wii and PS2 thrown in the mix theyre going to be close to $300 million in revenue before the end of the quarter. I've played the game and its fun and all but wow. Totally blew away my expectations, and it doesn't look like it's slowing down.

Thunder Monkey said:
Well, that's an argument of taste there man.

That has no baring on the market at large if Sony can't get some significant numbers out there. If their lineup for 08 doesn't change their fortunes I'd doubt anything can.

Taste indeed, but on a forum full of hardcore gamers its a safer horse to bet on.

My point is its dubious to name the Wii the "winner" considering its frontloaded strategy and meek games library. If anything it appears to be another gamecube, with Nintendo pushing all the top games and third party support running in the other direction.

The fact that its outselling the other consoles doesn't mean much to me as a gamer, and the fact that the 360 has superior software sales will mean a hell of alot to developers.

jaaz

Leondexter said:
The eternal cry of the loser: "It's not fair!"

How close in price do they have to be? The PS2 was $100 more than the Gamecube for a good chunk of last gen.

Depends on consumer trends I suppose. But I suspect most consumers would not consider $150 to $350 (when you look at the prices since launch) to be chump change.

Mar

Snah said:
No matter what happens, Sony wins due to the money they will look to make from Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray profits/sales dwarf videogame sales. So, even if Sony is 'doomed' to 2nd place, honestly, who cares? Sonycowboy posted the figures in the thread in the OT forum. They are massive.

If Sony is a solid 2nd place, how is that a failure when the platform will churn out amazing titles?

Last I checked, I'm still getting Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, Devil May Cry 4, Gran Theft Auto 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance 2, Gran Turismo 5, God of War 3, Team ICO titles, and Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy versus XIII.

As a gamer, do you think I care that they're not outselling the competition, even though they're currently priced the highest? Given these sales figures, PS3 obviously isn't doomed. It's not dreamcasted or Saturn'd. It's a viable platform globally.

For Sony as a company, do you think they care? They just won the next-gen media battle, and will take in billions in profit over the next 10 years because of it. Videogames these days, with their ridiculous budgets, are a losing proposition for the most part. Sony went for the cash, and because of it, we'll see more PS3 development. So, as a gamer, I don't think I'll honestly mind that they may be doomed to 2nd place so long as I get the games that I want.

I really hope you get paid by Sony, otherwise you're certifiably insane.

I'm just going to go ahead here and let you be the first person I've ever put on ignore, on any forum.

IronicallyTwisted said:
Taste indeed, but on a forum full of hardcore gamers its a safer horse to bet on.

My point is its dubious to name the Wii the "winner" considering its frontloaded strategy meek games library. If anything it appears to be another gamecube, with Nintendo pushing all the top games and third party support running in the other direction.
We'll have to see how things play out, but I don't see either point being relevant until 2009 at the earliest.

Developers will either jump on the bandwagon, or lose buckets of potential profit with their sloppy endeavors. Right now to count on the Ps3 to do anymore then GCN numbers is foolhardy. The safest bet right now for 3rd parties is 360 and Wii development. If that means a larger number of exclusive software between the two then so be it.

The PS3 is only a factor because of the ease in PS3 and 360 portage, and the PS2. Without those two factors (one largely overstated) the PS3 wouldn't have had the support it did.

The Wii will get support, or developers will leave money on the table.

Robert R1

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
Uncharted is doing quite well. 325K and still sell decently each month plus it's selling well in Europe. I think it may actually become a million seller before it's all said and done. Excellent. Good developers should make good money from good games.

When it doubt "it's doing well in Europe!" Numbers?

The numbers buying the PS3 strictly as a blu-ray player have to be staggering. We'll never know the numbers for sure. The Software sales seem to show it though.
This must scare the piss out of developers contemplating a PS3 exclusive. "Do we have 5 million PS3 gamers? 3 million? 2 million!?!?!" =O

Flakster99

Windu said:
We have no idea what half the lineup is for the Wii, I'd wait and see who has the better lineup.

Quite true, however, this isn't a Sony problem.

Also one could also say that a healthy amount of said PS3 software was in the planning/design stages long before anyone knew how the PS3 would turn out. In turn, waiting for a healthy user-base before unleashing said software.

We can spin this baby all night long, every which way. :D

Top Bottom