• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Circana] May 2024: 1# Ghost of Tsushima, 2# Paper Mairo TYD, 3# Helldivers 2, #8 Shadow of Erdtree; PS5 #1, 2#NSW , 3# XSX

GHG

Clearly it’s not a big deal when established at launch

Yep, I said as much when it was being introduced for Helldivers 2. Either do it at launch or not at all, set the stage appropriately and as long as there isn't a performance penalty (and/or issues launching the game) because of the launcher/overlay then people will just buy it regardless.

Personally I'd still much rather there were no 3rd party launchers on top of steam and won't be double dipping on GoT until it's dirt cheap because of it.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Where's Skull and Bones?
I thought the engagement was through the roof?
I'm assuming it's tracked here on the MAUs and simply didn't chart.

Last edited:

nial

Personally I'd still much rather there were no 3rd party launchers on top of steam and won't be double dipping on GoT until it's dirt cheap because of it.
Unless I'm wrong, wasn't GOT the last one to not require it for SP, at all? I thought it started with God of War Ragnarok and Until Dawn in the fall.

Hellblade ranked 37th on the software chart

Game Stop GIF

Woopah

Very happy for GoT and TTYD. I'm predicting a massive % decline for Switch given that last year was TOTK.

In theory, if Nintendo shared digital, maybe SPM would be first. I bought it digital (started but haven't gotten back to it).
Almost certainly true given GoT wad only slightly ahead.
Why do these charts not include mobile?
Is iOS/Andriod not considered “platforms”
Mobile market is seperate from the console market. Even if you included it, I doubt many mobile games make this chart.

Shakka43

Stellar Blade absolutely will not hit 5-6 million, let alone hit DMCV numbers lol

I think comparing to Bayonetta or the other platform exclusive action games gives a better idea for how it will do. I expect 2-4 million all said and done, which is a good result for a brand new $70 plaform exclusive new IP in a niche genre from a developer who has before this not made console AAA games.
Once the game releases on PC and drops in price I'm sure it will. There is a lot of $10 sales in those DMC5 numbers.

What an embarrassment
Life Fail GIF by MOODMAN

Look forward to seeing Hellblade II appearing on PlayStation within...6 months? 9? Scrape up some sales and then pull a Hi-Fi and shut them down.

I know it comes across as cynical, but I really wouldn't put it past Microsoft at this point considering what all they've been doing to just "repeat history" so to speak.

Game. Pass. Does. Not. Work.

It is unsustainable and is killing games, developers and people's livelihoods.

There is definitely a possibility that if it hits 4 million, it could hit 5, 6, or 7, of course.

I do not think it will happen though, hence my statement

Your statement was that it absolutely won't happen. That implies a level of certainty you're not qualified to have. Hence my question.

Ozriel

M$FT
Look forward to seeing Hellblade II appearing on PlayStation within...6 months? 9? Scrape up some sales and then pull a Hi-Fi and shut them down.

I know it comes across as cynical, but I really wouldn't put it past Microsoft at this point considering what all they've been doing to just "repeat history" so to speak.

Game. Pass. Does. Not. Work.

It is unsustainable and is killing games, developers and people's livelihoods.

Yes, GamePass is the reason behind most of the critique Hellblade 2 received

Confused Britney Spears GIF

Sakura

doubt it, Physical dominates the Switch. The amount of memory a system comes by default is what consumers leave it as by an overwhelming majority. probably get a 128gb sd card that ultimately probably ends up for updates.
Pretty sure digital sales are 50% of software sales on the switch according to Nintendo's financial reports.

As someone that beat Hellblade 1 and 2 this year, 37th is way too many sales. Game for masochists. Just when you think the walking can’t get any slower you start crawling, climbing or walking in water.

Interfectum

doubt it, Physical dominates the Switch. The amount of memory a system comes by default is what consumers leave it as by an overwhelming majority. probably get a 128gb sd card that ultimately probably ends up for updates.
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

If they counted digital SPM numbers would be double what they are.

How long before we get to hear Phil’s “I have to run a business” speech about Ninja Theory? I’m guessing we hear it after the PS5 port happens.

Mr Moose

Except he tweeted about it when asked.

You guys are obsessed with that mid ass game lol
Yeah, but did he talk shit about it? NO!

I'm joking. That shit wasn't on the list so wasn't worth mentioning until asked.
Would be interesting to see how it did compared to the first one.
More Hellblade 2 info:

The picture doesn't look any better when looking at only Xbox platform data.

The copium. Not like a 4 year old single player game is number 1 or anything.

Last edited:
Pretty sure digital sales are 50% of software sales on the switch according to Nintendo's financial reports.

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

If they counted digital SPM numbers would be double what they are.
Sony reports around 75% of digital sales but their games don’t sell near that amount, digitally speaking.

Most of their single player games don’t reach a 50% digital share let along Nintendo games.

Digitally speaking, sales between platforms are like this:

PC > Xbox > PS > Nintendo.

Mr Moose

Sony reports around 75% of digital sales but their games don’t sell near that amount, digitally speaking.

Most of their single player games don’t reach a 50% digital share let along Nintendo games.

Digitally speaking, sales between platforms are like this:

PC > Xbox > PS > Nintendo.
And the carts are flavoured. There's no way it's 50/50.

LakeOf9

Two things

1. As of this year, more than half of all games sold on the Switch are digital
  2. A 128GB card on the Switch could hold anywhere from 6-20 of the average Switch game. Switch game file sizes are VERY small. Only some third party games are bigger than 20GB or so

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
More Hellblade 2 info:

The picture doesn't look any better when looking at only Xbox platform data.

It's insane the level of MS's incompetence.

these Xbox influencers where saying it was going to be open world/compete with GoW/to reach ND levels of quality....🤦🏻‍♂️

They essentially wasted five years on something that neither sold well, increased GP's subscriptions or engagement, nor garnered any prestige for your brand.... like a flop in every metric possible.

Mr Moose

Hellblade 2 should had been a day one PS5 release, the genre and gameplay style aligns more with PlayStation players than Xbox's. I'm not saying it would had been a mega hit but I'm certain it would had done a lot better.
I don't know about that, it's just a bad/boring game. I would hope after the first one being a timed exclusive to PlayStation they'd know not to buy that cack. Would be interesting to see though.

Mr Hyde

Ninja Theorys run at Microsoft hasn't been all that great. First Bleeding Edge which was a major flop and got laughed out of the room. Then Hellblade 2, which wasn't mocked as much but still a major flop. NT seems to not flourish under MS leadership like many would have thought.

Top Bottom