• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox hardware revenue down 42%, content and services up by 61% last quarter

G4oaSsi.jpeg

They were talking about the respective divisions/subsidiaries, not the console hardware.

You faceless nimrod 🤦‍♂️

solidus12

I watched it (now my youtube feed will be cursed with this
colt-eastwood-doesnt-know-any-insider-information-v0-w6fxlyz1y5hc1.jpeg
).

He talks about a universal Xbox dashboard that can be installed on any device that is supported (by windows and xbox kernel) and the two device approach. He brings together a lot of the current leaks/rumors about a handheld and a "console" that will support steam and other PC platforms. It sounds very interesting but also not neccessary if they are going to allow the dashboard to be installed on any other windows PC. It might help them attract console diehards but the price might put it out of reach. For me, price, convenience and wow factor are going to have to be huge for me to go with an Xbox hybrid over a traditional PC. The Wow factor is probably the biggest decider. 😜
Colt also said that Xbox is the market leader and that they are destroying PlayStation.

reinking

Gold Member
Colt also said that Xbox is the market leader and that they are destroying PlayStation.
I have gotten to where I ignore that delusional stuff. I can't keep up with the definition of what Xbox really is anymore.

Last edited:

Brucey

At this rate, MS won't sell 6 million Xbox Series console this calendar year of 2024.
The products they have in the pipeline (series x without disk drive) certainly don't seem to be hot sellers for this forthcoming holiday season.

We've seen the series x at $350 and the series s at $150. Price is not the problem. Just no demand. The Xbox series console owner is no longer the "first class consumer" Phil once talked about

Last edited:

nick776

So in addition to the $449 digital series x, they've gone totally banzai and going for $599 with a 2tb disk drive version:

PKbjQrs.jpeg
This is absolute insanity. Surely there cannot be anyone within MSFT who actually thinks this is a GOOD PRICE proposition. In the face of PS5 Pro, this must be a joke, RIGHT? Right?

Brucey

This is absolute insanity. Surely there cannot be anyone within MSFT who actually thinks this is a GOOD PRICE proposition. In the face of PS5 Pro, this must be a joke, RIGHT? Right?
Might as well milk the final drops of cream from the hardcore Xbox whales before the end.

nick776

Might as well milk the final drops of cream from the hardcore Xbox whales before the end.
Maybe it's all just a placeholder price for an unannounced (but planned) price cut ahead of the holiday shopping season--$299 for the 1TB S, $399 for the Digital X and $499 for the new 2TB X :). Wishful thinking, right?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So in addition to the $449 digital series x, they've gone totally banzai and going for $599 with a 2tb disk drive version:

PKbjQrs.jpeg

This CAN'T be real! Must be some form of A.I. manipulation.

Humdinger

Xbox becoming a software annuity, that sure makes me excited for their vision for gaming!

lol. I don't even know what that means. I'm only familiar with "annuity" in the financial world - a fund you buy typically to help with retirement, which pays you out a set amount until you croak. What is a "software annuity"?

Jaybe

lol. I don't even know what that means. I'm only familiar with "annuity" in the financial world - a fund you buy typically to help with retirement, which pays you out a set amount until you croak. What is a "software annuity"?
I’m guessing it’s some scheme to receive payment from consumers or partners on a yearly basis like how they likely have some of their business software setup for corporate clients. I would have thought it just meant subscriptions, but that’s mentioned separately by Amy Hood.

Humdinger

I’m guessing it’s some scheme to receive payment from consumers or partners on a yearly basis like how they likely have some of their business software setup for corporate clients. I would have thought it just meant subscriptions, but that’s mentioned separately by Amy Hood.

Yeah, I'm still having trouble understanding what an "annuity" would mean, in the context of Xbox, apart from yearly subscriptions to GP. As you say, Hood mentions those separately: "Software annuity and subscription service."

Or maybe it just appears to be a separate mention but is really just redundant speech, i.e., two phrases that mean the same thing. Maybe calling it a "software annuity" sounds cooler than just calling it a "subscription service," but both phrases are pointing to the same model (GP, basically).

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
I recall an Obama quote

"The buck stops at me".

Nobody cares if it was one of your predecessors setting a chain in motion 20 years ago if you're in the seat it's all on you.

Top Bottom