• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

Chobel

Ah I never heard of that site before, are we sure that is sold units? Could it be pirated copies as well considering you can add any game to steam? Just curious. 2 million is mighty impressive if true.

A little description about what Steamspy does, from here http://steamspy.com/about
Steam Spy is Steam stats service based on Web API provided by Valve and cool idea of Kyle Orland from Ars Technica. Steam Spy automatically gathers data from Steam user profiles, analyzes it and presents in simple, yet beautiful, manner.

Dark Souls 1 was a very, very popular game and very widely spread on word of mouth.

I would be impressed if BB ever manages to get even close to it without a few good years of baking and bundling. I would think the Souls games would be more front loaded, as well, due to their core target nature and Dark Souls was something of a break out phenomenon that swept through a lot of people, a fact that BB can't recreate as the novelty is no longer there.

What makes you think BB is not a popular game and doesn't have very strong word of mouth? on one platform BB has sold faster then Dark Souls..disagree. BB also got more mainstream advertising then all souls combined. It wont take years for BB to get 1 more million, it got 1 million in 12 days.....

yeah, PC sales also generally have a longer tail then console sales

I suppose Bloodborne could outsell the other two when considering console only though

Vena

What makes you think BB is not a popular game and doesn't have very strong word of mouth? on one platform BB has sold faster then Dark Souls..disagree. BB also got more mainstream advertising then all souls combined. It wont take years for BB to get 1 more million, it got 1 million in 12 days.....

I didn't say it wasn't popular or has no strong word of mouth. I am saying that the original Dark Souls had that AND had a novelty to it that no longer really applies (just as it didn't apply to DS2, and one could say that is why it is trailing behind its predecessor). Gamers know what a Souls game is, that air of mystery and discussion "what are they talking about, I want to see that game" is not really there any more.

I didn't say it wasn't popular or has no strong word of mouth. I am saying that the original Dark Souls had that AND had a novelty to it that no longer really applies. Gamers know what a Souls game is, that air of mystery and discussion "what are they talking about, I want to see that game" is not really there any more.

I don't think I agree with that at all. Franchises grow all the time despite not having the "Freshness" of it being new. If what you said was true sequels and franchises would never grow.

If you are going to make a game that only has a single player component and is shorter than your average COD game, you need to hit a home run on game play and story. The Order failed on both fronts.

Not to be a dick, but statements like this out you as never having played the game. The 5 hours thing was a meme pre launch. Every reviewer of the game states their hours ranging from 6 and a half to 8 hours. If you are going to offer "constructive criticism" on something you haven't played, that's fine, but try to use more accurate information than "shit I heard about from Gaf and decided to not do any further research."

Vena

I don't think I agree with that at all. Franchises grow all the time despite not having the "Freshness" of it being new. If what you said was true sequels would never grow.

Sequels do not by some rule of law neccessarily grow nor do they grow indefinitely. Franchises also do not usually grow by moving to lower install bases.

Souls grew from Demons to Dark by expanding its user base. Dark Souls had strong word of mouth, easy access to it through Steam (especially sales around the time that PtD launched just as the game was becoming something of a viral success) and a wide availability on consoles, and was a new experience for a lot of the modern gaming culture. Dark Souls 2 was a sequel on a similar install base but that novelty was gone. BB is a "sequel" on a smaller base with even less novelty at this point. (See: Honest Trailers: Bloodborne)

And as I said, there are some crippling design decisions that I believe will kill the ability for BB to enjoy the longevity of a playerbase that Dark Souls 1 and 2 had and still have. The PvP and Fashion Souls may not be a big part at a glance but they are the parts of the game that kept people playing for a long, long time. Both of those have been heavily changed or outright effectively gutted in BB.

Sequels do not by some rule of law neccessarily grow nor do they grow indefinitely. Franchises also do not usually grow by moving to lower install bases.

Souls grew from Demons to Dark by expanding its user base. Dark Souls had strong word of mouth, easy access to it through Steam and a wide availability on consoles, and was a new experience for a lot of the modern gaming culture. Dark Souls 2 was a sequel on a similar install base but that novelty was gone. BB is a "sequel" on a smaller base with even less novelty at this point.

And as I said, there are some crippling design decisions that I believe will kill the ability for BB to enjoy the longevity of a playerbase that Dark Souls 1 and 2 had and still have. The PvP and Fashion Souls may not be a big part at a glance but they are the parts of the game that kept people playing for a long, long time. Both of those have been heavily changed or outright effectively gutted in BB.

Totally disagree....i bet most people buy these games for the sp campaign, only the hardcore play PVP in this. I never said sequels grow by some rule...I just said by your definition they would never grow because it does noo have the fresnhness/newness...which I disagree with totally. Awareness of BB abd souls game is still increasing, with the heavy advertising by Sony i think BB has the best chance to expand the user base.

There is nothing gutted about PVP in BB..... BB will easily sell on par if not more the dark souls on console.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The Order IP could easily be considered dead now by Sony. I say get RAD on Bloodborne 2 for the tech side and they could even reuse a lot of the assets they made.

Bloodborne sequel : No

Rad X From Software : No.

Those ideas are terrible.

The Order IP could easily be considered dead now by Sony. I say get RAD on Bloodborne 2 for the tech side and they could even reuse a lot of the assets they made.

Sony need to recognize when to stop making new IP for the sake of it if they don't put in the effort it deserves, cuz TO could've been something great if the vision and resources were there. FWIW I liked the game.

WTF.

No. I would prefer to continuing to let Miyazaki handle Bloodborne than see it handed off to someone who has no f-ing relation to it.

Elios83

Sony need to recognize when to stop making new IP for the sake of it if they don't put in the effort it deserves, cuz TO could've been something great if the vision and resources were there. FWIW I liked the game.

It's clear that most of the budget behind The Order went into creating an engine for future titles. The game was basically a showcase for the engine, personally I enjoyed it, it was pretty good for what it is (an interactive movie) but it's undeniable that it could have been much more and a much better game if only they copied Uncharted/Gears design properly.
Right now the biggest obstacle against a sequel are not the sales which eventually with bundles and digital copies will be decent enough but the tarnished name and brand reputation caused by the exaggerated negative press, which means that even if they can improve the game considerably they will still have to fight against a stigma of bad quality which will be difficult to get rid of.
So there are three possibilities....:
1)They risk, they try to make a great game this time focusing on gameplay, hoping that quality will win gamers (as it should). A sequel will be easier to make because the universe, characters and other aspects are already done. This was the original plan afterall.
2)Sony still wants to work with RAD but they decide that The Order was a failure and can't be saved, they use the engine to make a new game in the same genre but with different story/universe,etc
3)The relationship between RAD and Sony ends like it ended with Ninja Theory after Heavenly Sword. RAD goes multiplaform and makes a new IP.

We'll see what happens.

klee123

I'm hoping the negative reception and sales of Order 1886 and the sends a message to SCE that the general gaming audience does not want pretty looking single player 6 hour interactive movie with barely any replay value. Sorry for those who do want it, but the sales speaks volumes.

I think the sales and critical success of Bloodborne should make it obvious.

I'm hoping the negative reception and sales of Order 1886 and the sends a message to SCE that the general gaming audience does not want pretty looking single player 6 hour interactive movie with barely any replay value. Sorry for those who do want it, but the sales speaks volumes.

Then again, the Western branches of SCE to me at times is run by a bunch of suits who had no idea of what video gaming is and green lights anything as long as it looks cutting edge and cinematic.
How so? Other then the order I cannot remember another like it.

klee123

How so? Other then the order I cannot remember another like it.

Well, I actually edited out that last bit at the last minute, but ah.

I guess my issue with it stems back to the PS3 era where quite a few of the titles they published were basically pretty games with sub standard gameplay.

Games like Heavenly Sword, Killzone, Beyond, Lair etc.

That said, I guess the comment I edited out was a bit unfair since they do produce great games from time to time.

The resources were clearly there (5 years of development, external help from Santa Monica). The issues with The Order are related to the decisions that RAD made with the design of the game, and that's definitely not something that throwing more money or more marketing at the game would have fixed.

Lemondish

I think RAD stumbled on this because of ambition. Before this they made several fantastic games that leveraged some serious tech genius on the PSP, but those successes had a few things in common that didn't exist with 1886. First, they were using someone else's property (every single one of their games). Second, they slowly gained experience by first building off someone else's art assets (Daxter). Finally, they fine tuned those lessons in someone else's mythology (GoW), and by that point were comfortable enough with the platform to spend some time experimenting with gameplay.

With The Order, they were creating a new IP (something they've never done), on a new platform (they never before worked on), all in a new space (console AAA). That type of ambition is impressive, but it's obvious they had difficulty executing all those goals. It's no wonder then that their strongest abilities ended up being the redeeming quality - their ability to eek out tremendous power.

I think RAD stumbled on this because of ambition. Before this they made several fantastic games that leveraged some serious tech genius on the PSP, but those successes had a few things in common that didn't exist with 1886. First, they were using someone else's property (every single one of their games). Second, they slowly gained experience by first building off someone else's art assets (Daxter). Finally, they fine tuned those lessons in someone else's mythology (GoW), and by that point were comfortable enough with the platform to spend some time experimenting with gameplay.

With The Order, they were creating a new IP (something they've never done), on a new platform (they never before worked on), all in a new space (console AAA). That type of ambition is impressive, but it's obvious they had difficulty executing all those goals. It's no wonder then that their strongest abilities ended up being the redeeming quality - their ability to eek out tremendous power.

They built an amazing looking 'experience' instead of a video game, and Sony willingly paid for it. This kind of failure isn't a product of an over ambitious developer, but a complete misunderstanding of what the market could stomach and poor direction and a symptom of this industry's obsession with visuals over anything else.

How's Bloodborne's performance compared to the other Souls games?

Gohan,_all_depictions,_2014.jpg

So what you're saying is that it's all down hill from here?

This is high-grade premium posting right here.

Wynnebeck

Banned

Not an apples to apples comparison. BB is a game in the Souls series. People knew what to expect. The Order is a graphical powerhouse mired by suspect gameplay choices and lambasted by the media. The biggest complaints I heard from customers who bought the game was that it was 'too short' and 'boring'. The world that RAD has built is rich in lore and can be greatly expanded upon. With as much effort that went into 1886, I can't imagine Sony killing off the IP when it has so much potential, especially if 1887 had an Uncharted 2 like reawakening.

ascii42

Well, I actually edited out that last bit at the last minute, but ah.

I guess my issue with it stems back to the PS3 era where quite of the titles they published were basically pretty games with sub standard gameplay.

Games like Heavenly Sword, Killzone, Beyond, Lair etc.

That said, I guess the comment I edited out was a bit unfair since they do produce great games from time to time.

Killzone 2 at least had a fantastic multiplayer to go along with the single player.

CLEEK

Souls grew from Demons to Dark by expanding its user base. Dark Souls had strong word of mouth, easy access to it through Steam (especially sales around the time that PtD launched just as the game was becoming something of a viral success) and a wide availability on consoles, and was a new experience for a lot of the modern gaming culture. Dark Souls 2 was a sequel on a similar install base but that novelty was gone. BB is a "sequel" on a smaller base with even less novelty at this point. (See: Honest Trailers: Bloodborne)

Dedicated PvP players make up such a tiny, minuscule fraction of Souls players. And catering to these player at the expense of regular single players doesn't do the game series any good. Having a single percentage of players sticking around months after release to do the Fashion Souls PvP is all well and good, but it doesn't correlate to additional sales.

Bloodborne's streamlining of the Souls experience will no doubt alienate some players, but if you read all the BB threads here and elsewhere, the majority appreciate the changes. Small design choices have made a Bloodborne a tangibly different experience from Souls. Better in some ways, lesser in others, but overall, a very fresh, immaculately made game that is a joy to play.

I would also chime in and say I think the reason why DaK1 and DaK2 were so well received on PC was due to the dearth of Japanese games that get PC ports. If you're primarily or exclusively a PC gamer, Japanese action games would be a rare treat.

RexNovis

Banned
I think RAD stumbled on this because of ambition.

This is quite apt. I spoke to these guys about their goals for the game and what they were trying to do in the early stages of development. If the game had incorporated more of the things I had heard from them at those early stages we would've had something truly special on our hands. I was certainly convinced going in that the game would be incredible because what I had heard directly form the devs was enough to convince me that they had big plans. The impression I got after completing the game is that it was salvaged from their original intent. As a result it often felt disorienting, haphazardly thrown together or just genuinely confused from a gameplay standpoint. What we got was a small snippet of what was actually intended for the game.

To me, The Order is the textbook example of poor project management. What we got was a shadow of their original intent presumably because their resources weren't properly managed. It truly is a shame because, like I said before, having heard the idea these guys had and what they wanted to do I was truly excited.

Seeing so many call for the IP to be abandoned or for the studio to shut down just breaks my heart. They are a very talented, passionate group of people whose inexperience with AAA development led to what is likely an unfinished product. Even still as unfinished as it might have been it was technically solid in a period where gaming has been defined by glitchy, buggy products and as such I believe it should at least be commended for that despite its other shortcomings. I sincerely hope gamers and Sony give them a chance to learn form those mistakes and see what they are able to make of it off the back of that development experience. At the very least, their engine/tech is incredible and it deserves to be given the chance to shine. But hey that's just my opinion on the matter.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
You havent witnessed DB in a while i take it. Mystic Form was taken away from him, now he inexplicably only goes Super Saiyan

Well technically he went Mystic in the new Battle of Gods movie to fight Beerus (for like 5 seconds). It's just that he can also turn Super Saiyan if need be (like to make Goku a Super Saiyan God or w/e).

Welfare

Well technically he went Mystic in the new Battle of Gods movie to fight Beerus (for like 5 seconds). It's just that he can also turn Super Saiyan if need be (like to make Goku a Super Saiyan God or w/e).

He lost it in Revival of F. Only SSJ for the guy.

1mill WW if you include digital, maybe. NPD wise the game is likely still under 250k.

I would assume Digital for DriveClub would be the worst, with all the physical deals all the stores have had dropping the new retail DriveClubs for $20/$30 and Digital still being $60/$50 w/PS+

This is quite apt. I spoke to these guys about their goals for the game and what they were trying to do in the early stages of development. If the game had incorporated more of the things I had heard from them at those early stages we would've had something truly special on our hands. I was certainly convinced going in that the game would be incredible because what I had heard directly form the devs was enough to convince me that they had big plans. The impression I got after completing the game is that it was salvaged from their original intent. As a result it often felt disorienting, haphazardly thrown together or just genuinely confused from a gameplay standpoint. What we got was a small snippet of what was actually intended for the game.

To me, The Order is the textbook example of poor project management. What we got was a shadow of their original intent presumably because their resources weren't properly managed. It truly is a shame because, like I said before, having heard the idea these guys had and what they wanted to do I was truly excited.

Seeing so many call for the IP to be abandoned or for the studio to shut down just breaks my heart. They are a very talented, passionate group of people whose inexperience with AAA development led to what is likely an unfinished product. Even still as unfinished as it might have been it was technically solid in a period where gaming has been defined by glitchy, buggy products and as such I believe it should at least be commended for that despite its other shortcomings. I sincerely hope gamers and Sony give them a chance to learn form those mistakes and see what they are able to make of it off the back of that development experience. At the very least, their engine/tech is incredible and it deserves to be given the chance to shine. But hey that's just my opinion on the matter.

That's what I've gathered too, still plan on picking it up when I can and try it out for myself. First with filter as they intended and then none or different ones as I get the collectibles.

Elfstruck

Dark Souls 1 was a very, very popular game and very widely spread on word of mouth.

I would be impressed if BB ever manages to get even close to it without a few good years of baking and bundling. I would think the Souls games would be more front loaded, as well, due to their core target nature and Dark Souls was something of a break out phenomenon that swept through a lot of people, a fact that BB can't recreate as the novelty is no longer there. Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 (better now that they fixed Soul Memory, sort of) also had/have a long-term PvP lifespans which keeps people playing and keeps the title on people's minds for a while, that I don't see panning out in BB due to design changes and how they "penalize" invaders.

Basically, at the end of the day, the original breakout hit of Dark Souls had a lot of things going for it giving it strong sales that don't much apply anymore to Dark Souls 2 or Bloodborne, and I don't see them ever pushing quite the same numbers for various reasons.

You might get a tag just like Chobel ;)

Yeah, I plan on picking it up after I'm done with Bloodborne. I think gamers like good games, so despite what media says, if The Order 2 is amazing, it will sell well. Sony has greenlit more questionable games, and I think they can give R*D another crack. At the very least, they should break even. Really interested in what they were trying to do, and if releasing it basically unfinished to make some money back was the smarter decision. I mean, when can a possible sequel even happen 2017 at the earliest?

A further delay might have been more appropriate.

Jessmo111

Banned
Im sorry but, Im a diehard Nintendo fan, and Im getting tired being starved to death for games.
To be clear, Im not a Kirby, animal crossing, type fan.
Im A zelda, Metroid Fire emblem, Monster hunter, Bayonetta, Re type. I love the Wiiu but its way oversaturated with cute platform games.
All the have to do is give me a Metroid, and Mh4 and id be satisfied. Its like they dont want my money.
/wrists.

Mory Dunz

Im sorry but, Im a diehard Nintendo fan, and Im getting tired being starved to death for games.
To be clear, Im not a Kirby, animal crossing, type fan.
Im A zelda, Metroid Fire emblem, Monster hunter, Bayonetta, Re type. I love the Wiiu but its way oversaturated with cute platform games.
All the have to do is give me a Metroid, and Mh4 and id be satisfied. Its like they dont want my money.
/wrists.

Half of these didn't even really start on Nintendo consoles lol

EDIT:
what I mean. When I read diehard Nintendo fan, I expected the next words to be like....Mario, Smash, Kart, DK, Kirby, Metroid, Fox, etc so it was funny.

Biker19

Banned

I hope so.

Bloodborne sequel : No

Rad X From Software : No.

Those ideas are terrible.
I agree, why so many people want RAD and order to die I don't get it? just coz they took risk on something new in big scale and failed so they should die without a second chance. Can't they fix in sequel because we can see that is possible as they were talented studio with previous games and this is their first try in big scale as New IP? I'm sure they didn't have time needed on first game to make the game they want overall and it's little rushed so it lacked content for $60 in today's Standard because of multi player domination.

I completely agree. After watching all the developer interviews I can see they had big plans but they could not achieve in first game either due to poor management or did not have enough time so they rushed. Now they realised what is wrong and their engine with game works is set, so they just need to make they planned in 2 years which is possible if they given second chance. I'm sure this is a franchise which Sony wants to become(will take another chance as they always support for innovation and support developers with risks) and should have agreed at first place for 3 games like they do with 2 nd party developers.

I hope so.
You have edited your post from interactive games should die, why? It's really sad to see people want some genre to die just coz they don't like it and does not have mass appeal to sell in millions. There are people who love them even though they are small in numbers, so it's like crushing some people games.

stryke

You have edited your post from interactive games should die, why? It's really sad to see people want some genre to die just coz they don't like it and does not have mass appeal to sell in millions. There are people who love them even though they are small in numbers, so it's like crushing some people games.

I'm sure every product has its audience.

But if maintaining that product is unsustainable for your business, in most cases it doesn't deserve to exist.

I agree, why so many people want RAD and order to die I don't get it? just coz they took risk on something new in big scale and failed so they should die without a second chance. Can't they fix in sequel because we can see that is possible as they were talented studio with previous games and this is their first try in big scale as New IP? I'm sure they didn't have time needed on first game to make the game they want overall and it's little rushed so it lacked content for $60 in today's Standard because of multi player domination.

I don't particularly mind RAD working on The Order and taking the risk associated with making a new IP and whatnot.

I do take issue with anyone suggesting that RAD should work on Bloodborne's sequel simply because there is (quite literally) a world of difference between RAD's team and Miyazaki's team at From Software.

The Order is a legit ultrabomb and rightfully so. I hope Sony cries and cannot sleep about every single fucking dollar they spent marketing that garbage of a game. All those money could have and should have been spent elsewhere on better games that are also platform exclusive.

What is it with Sony funding bombs like Playstation Battle Royale and The Order?!? Don't they have proper quality / IP management?

And RAD should stick to indie/ handheld games. It is their niche IMO.

Top Bottom