• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

April's numbers should be fairly similar.

Not much occurred this month to change things dramatically.

I wonder if GTAV will reclaim the top spot with the PC release?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That's quite impressive. Bloodborne is going to become a huge franchise for Sony and From Software..

First month was impressive but let's see what the next couple months bring. I'm still not sure this is a game that will carry good sales over a few months.

Also, LOL at The Order numbers. Glad to see the market making a statement.

First month was impressive but let's see what the next couple months bring. I'm still not sure this is a game that will carry good sales over a few months.

The figure it has reached thus far is already strong enough to call it a success.

Yes and no. It is a deeply flawed product, most assuredly, but not one that deserved the universal trashing it got. It became an unfortunate symbolic receptacle for the grievances that media outlets and critics have been ruminating about modern game design philosophy. Again, I am not saying that it was worthy of accolades at arrival, far from it. It is just that it was ganged up on in a way I have rarely seen... as if the reviewer wanted to make a firm statement through it. The technical prowess that was delivered by the developer aggravated the problem in lieu of mitigating it. Had The Order been less shiny and gorgeous, it would have received less spanking I think.

They made one of the best GOW games.... On the PSP. In doing so they had excellent new additions to the combat and lore. All that with a relatively small studio

Pretty impressive
They don't seem to have anyone who has the right gameplay sense where one can sit down with a controller and playtest the order for 5 minutes and can tell you it's dogshit. That's the kind of designer they lack. Usually it's the game director who has a great sense of how the game should play like but Dana Jan is nowhere near that.

It's a HUGE deal, you can tell going from one director to another for the same franchise and there's an obvious drop in gameplay quality. Not sure how RAD can fix that, they don't have experience in what makes a tps work, at all.

Kalnos

Banned
Yes and no. It is a deeply flawed product, most assuredly, but not one that deserved the universal trashing it got. It became an unfortunate symbolic receptacle for the grievances that media outlets and critics have been ruminating about modern game design philosophy. Again, I am not saying that it deserved any accolades at arrival, far from it. It is just that it was ganged up on in a way I have rarely seen... as if to make a firm statement.

Or it was 'ganged up' on because it was shit

They don't seem to have anyone who has the right gameplay sense where one can sit down with a controller and playtest the order for 5 minutes and can tell you it's dogshit. That's the kind of designer they lack. Usually it's the game director who has a great sense of how the game should play like but Dana Jan is nowhere near that.

It's a HUGE deal, you can tell going from one director to another for the same franchise and there's an obvious drop in gameplay quality. Not sure how RAD can fix that, they don't have experience in what makes a tps work, at all.

I disagree. The insta-kill stealth sections were a massive oversight, but there was nothing wrong with the way in which the weapons operated at all. Mechanically, it was a rock solid third-person shooter - they just forgot to build interesting encounters around the actual gunplay.

I thought the gunplay was solid and Galahad was a strong, likeable main character, but everything else was weak. The multiple lycan battles were horrendous and the QTE stealth sections were frustrating.

The ending got me excited for a much improved sequel however, so hopefully they get their chance. I mean, if Sony abandoned every new IP after one failure then they'd be a God of War/Gran Turismo factory.
I don't really understand why the gunplay would be considered "solid" when the controls doesn't even work well, touchpad for shoulder switch? Really? You can't even keep cover around objects, dodge roll only works sometimes, stealth only works sometimes, context sensitive stuff was at best inconsistent.

The layouts of the levels were just bad, enemies funnel in, there's no place to run and regroup, no place to break line of sight in order to flank properly. Yes the bullet damage felt visceral but that's about it.

Why not? Great reviews, word of mouth, already strong fanbase from the souls series....sales charts show it has not drooped a lot at least in the UK., It will have legs and it also had more marketing then all souls games combined. Pretty obvious to me it will have legs.

It's actually 389K.

Woops, typed it too quick and got my numbers mixed up. My bad.
LLShC.gif

The Order 1886 seemed like a launch game that launched 16 months too late.

Sucks for RAD since its a thing they have wanted to get off the ground for years and years but... yeah. $60 for a 5 hour game aint gonna cut it no matter how pretty it looks. Would have been skeezy even as a launch game but at least it would have the "its just a launch game" excuse to fall back on.

If I was Sony I wouldnt have funded it.

truth411

Sucks for RAD since its a thing they have wanted to get off the ground for years and years but... yeah. $60 for a 5 hour game aint gonna cut it no matter how pretty it looks. Would have been skeezy even as a launch game but at least it would have the "its just a launch game" excuse to fall back on.

It wasn't that short.

Elandyll

Banned
Or it was 'ganged up' on because it was shit

To be fair, aside from a few screenshots that people were drooling on, the game has been shat on from pretty much day 1 as soon as the first videos showing QTE elements were out, or the aspect ratio was revealed (it's not 1080p! Where are my p's ??), or the absence of any form of multiplayer.

Looking at the way The Order was treated by both the average forum users and the media was kinda like watching the "Chronicle of a pre-ordained failure".

The short campaign and lack of replayability or (reportedly) lackluster gameplay mechanics were just the icing on top it seemed.

Now that's not to exhonerate RAD totally from any responsability in the way the game was received. Not at all. All the pre emptive warnings were there:

"Carreful, it looks QTE heavy in that first demo, and we don't see any actual gameplay for most of it."
"No Multiplayer will hurt perception of replayability, co op at least would be nice"
"Campaign should be at least a dozen hour on "normal" for value perception"
"There better be some kind alternate endings and some closure with the story with a kick ass conclusion that makes you want more"
"Cover based TPS will be compared to its predecessor, from Gears to Last of Us and even Uncharted)"

I like the setting and to be honest I am waiting for a decent price to try the game, but I also do hope that it sold enough to warrant a (better helmed) sequel imo.

EatMyFace

Banned

If I was Sony I wouldnt have funded it.
RAD will probably make the next one multiplatform since I can't see Sony funding or partnering up for the next one.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The figure it has reached thus far is already strong enough to call it a success.

Nowhere did I say it wasn't a success. The quote I responded to said it would be a "huge franchise." I'm not sold on that yet.

Why not? Great reviews, word of mouth, already strong fanbase from the souls series....sales charts show it has not drooped a lot at least in the UK., It will have legs and it also had more marketing then all souls games combined. Pretty obvious to me it will have legs.

Because I'm not sure it's a game that isn't frontloaded. Lots of hardcore gamers tend to day one those types of games and they fall off quickly. I'm not saying it will be that way, I am just not sure it won't. Next two months will give us a better idea.

Nowhere did I say it wasn't a success. The quote I responded to said it would be a "huge franchise." I'm not sold on that yet.

Because I'm not sure it's a game that isn't frontloaded. Lots of hardcore gamers tend to day one those types of games and they fall off quickly. I'm not saying it will be that way, I am just not sure it won't. Next two months will give us a better idea.

I'm curious what makes you think Bloodborne is front-loaded given that the past Souls series haven't been. My impression was that Souls games aren't really that front-loaded but usually sell more over time, looking at Demons, Dark 1 and 2.

Edit: I'm not talking Nintendo legs of course.

If you are going to make a game that only has a single player component and is shorter than your average COD game, you need to hit a home run on game play and story. The Order failed on both fronts.

Plinko

I'm curious what makes you think Bloodborne is front-loaded given that the past Souls series haven't been. My impression was that Souls games aren't really that front-loaded but usually sell more over time.

Do they? I am not familiar with the numbers for the Souls series other than opening month.

Do they? I am not familiar with the numbers for the Souls series other than opening month.

I don't have the exact numbers with me (I tried a quick google but to no avail, so people are free to correct me) but both Dark Souls 1 and 2 roughly charted in the #5 or #6 position in their opening months with less sales then Bloodborne did.

And the last update on both games was that they had sold at least over 2 million.

Given that BB had a better opening then both games, it's probably a safe assumption that it'll be the best selling Souls title. Barring probably Dark Souls 2 because I'm not sure how the PC + console numbers stack up.

Plus even if RAD owned it, word of mouth around the IP is toxic and it sold like trash. Who would pick that up?

It ain't getting a sequel from anyone

Yea, I'm not sure how exactly a sequel would even manage to convince anyone that it's worth buying. Far too much negative baggage associated with the IP.

Better to drop it and move on.

The setting is fantastic though and with a sequel focused on gameplay would be amazing

Yea sure, but the sales are poor and the game was critically panned. The IP has negative baggage associated with it. RAD would be more successful in selling to prospective buyers a new IP rather then a sequel I think.

Souls had legs, no reason bb wont. Its already not falling off quickly

I don't have the exact numbers with me (I tried a quick google but to no avail, so people are free to correct me) but both Dark Souls 1 and 2 roughly charted in the #5 or #6 position in their opening months with less sales then Bloodborne did.

And the last update on both games was that they had sold at least over 2 million.

Given that BB had a better opening then both games, it's probably a safe assumption that it'll be the best selling Souls title. Barring probably Dark Souls 2 because I'm not sure how the PC + console numbers stack up.

It's possible, but I think Dark 1&2 will have higher LTDs. Dark 1 sold nearly 2 million on Steam alone so it's most likely around 3-4 million on all platforms and Dark 2 will probably be around the same when it's all said and done(it's sold over 1 million on steam so far and consoles shipped 1.3 million in 25 days + the PS4/XB1 versions just released).

The lack of a Steam release will probably prevent it from being the best selling Souls game.

It's possible, but I think Dark 1&2 will have higher LTDs. Dark 1 sold nearly 2 million on Steam alone so it's probably 3-4 million on all platforms and Dark 2 will probably be around the same when it's all said and done(it's sold over 1 million on steam so far and consoles shipped 1.3 million in 25 days + the PS4/XB1 versions just released).

The lack of a Steam release will probably prevent it from being the best selling Souls game.

Woah, I never knew that Dark Souls 1 did over 2 million on Steam alone. I thought DS2 was the highest selling DS title on Steam.

It's possible, but I think Dark 1&2 will have higher LTDs. Dark 1 sold nearly 2 million on Steam alone so it's probably around 3-4 million on all platforms and Dark 2 will probably be around the same when it's all said and done(it's sold over 1 million on steam so far and consoles shipped 1.3 million in 25 days + the PS4/XB1 versions just released).

2 mill on steam alone? Proof?

Kill3r7

It still kinda surprised me that watch dogs sold 10+ million. It has to be like the quietest 10 million sold ever, on GAF at least.

Guess WD2 will be announced soon

The public was starved for games at the beginning of last year. Its success had a lot to do with folks looking to play new AAA games on their brand new consoles.

vpance

The Order IP could easily be considered dead now by Sony. I say get RAD on Bloodborne 2 for the tech side and they could even reuse a lot of the assets they made.

Sony need to recognize when to stop making new IP for the sake of it if they don't put in the effort it deserves, cuz TO could've been something great if the vision and resources were there. FWIW I liked the game.

Kyoufu

The public was starved for games at the begging of last year. It's success has a lot to do with people looking for any new AAA games to play on their brand new consoles.

I'm sure that was a part of it, but WD hype was high ever since its reveal. It was destined to sell gangbusters no matter when it released.

Vena

Ah I never heard of that site before, are we sure that is sold units? Could it be pirated copies as well considering you can add any game to steam? Just curious. 2 million is mighty impressive if true.

Dark Souls 1 was a very, very popular game and very widely spread on word of mouth.

I would be impressed if BB ever manages to get even close to it without a few good years of baking and bundling. I would think the Souls games would be more front loaded, as well, due to their core target nature and Dark Souls was something of a break out phenomenon that swept through a lot of people, a fact that BB can't recreate as the novelty is no longer there. Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 (better now that they fixed Soul Memory, sort of) also had/have a long-term PvP lifespans which keeps people playing and keeps the title on people's minds for a while, that I don't see panning out in BB due to design changes and how they "penalize" invaders.

Basically, at the end of the day, the original breakout hit of Dark Souls had a lot of things going for it giving it strong sales that don't much apply anymore to Dark Souls 2 or Bloodborne, and I don't see them ever pushing quite the same numbers for various reasons.

Top Bottom