• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

Do you want a list of shuttered studios where "let's just overlook they made x y years ago" was a valid statement?
If "But what have you done for me lately?" isn't the motto of the AAA games publisher, it should be.

The Order really was not a product of poor quality, but rather, poor design choices.
The gameplay mechanics themselves are well done. The cinematography is well done. The graphics, voice acting, world design, etc. are all quite good.

It's the pacing and level design that leave so much to be desired.

It's quite clear that RAD has talent. But they were sorely misguided in making something some sort of creation designed for "experience" rather than being a game.

RAD will bounce back. It's pretty clear they have talent. They just need to focus on their priorities.

But otherwise, your hostility and readiness to continue to debate about the Order in an NPD thread is a bit troubling. Obsessive much?

Mikey Jr.

I'm willing to give rad another chance with order 2. Sequels are usually much better than the first.

But if they fuck up even that, then fuck 'em. Go back to psp games.

GKFinns

I came in this thread hoping to see some discussion about NPD numbers.

I ended up with a seesaw back and forth argument about the merits or lack their of for The Order for the *fourth* month in a row.

Sigh. Guys. I'm about to blow your minds. I enjoyed The Order. But it wasn't a life changing experience. Personally? I hope a sequel gets made because I feel the potential is there. Will it happen? Who knows! And that's about as invested in the topic as I care to be.

Why can't anyone let this go? Is it because it's a Sony exclusive title and this is a prime candidate to have a stealth console war? Why didn't Sunset Overdrive get this level of scrutiny? I basically feel that is the X1's equivalent. I enjoyed it, but it was nothing remarkable.

gtj1092

I would say that Sunset Overdrive's appeal/genre is far more niche than The Order's. This is on top of the PS4 having the bigger userbase -- especially after the Holiday season (in comparison to the Xbox One in November).

I also don't know about far fewer commercials. While I don't remember seeing many commercials just for The Order, there were many commercials that showed the game off alongside the rest of the PS4's first half of 2015 lineup.

So you agree SO did have more commericals dedicated to it then? And you don't think MS was hoping that SO would increase the user base of X1 with the huge marketing campaign and special bundles?

I would say they both had about the same level of expectations in total sales but I think MS was relying on SO more than Sony was relying on the order.

If you are going to use userbase size to determine sales expectations then every game should then be expected to sell most on PC.

Endo Punk

Creating a new IP should absolutely be encouraged but when you don't have the sales or the critical success it's a money sink to continue the IP. Look at VC, ICO, SoTC and Sunset Overdrive. All IP's that are awesome despite not getting the sales they deserve. The Order is not that despite how hard -and I am sorry I have to say this- fanboys push for it by touting potential, dumb Uncharted comparisons or relationship with Sony.

I have mad respect for RAD for what they accomplished on PSP but I also live on planet earth, in reality. They failed in the worst way imaginable. I hope they do continue working with Sony but they have no right asking for AAA treatment again.

Vroadstar

I would say that Sunset Overdrive's appeal/genre is far more niche than The Order's. This is on top of the PS4 having the bigger userbase -- especially after the Holiday season (in comparison to the Xbox One in November).

I also don't know about far fewer commercials. While I don't remember seeing many commercials just for The Order, there were many commercials that showed the game off alongside the rest of the PS4's first half of 2015 lineup.

Sunset Overdrive appeal/genre considered a niche vs The Order? I believe you are really reaching with your argument here because for all intents and purpose SO appeal/genre is not niche. It's better to just admit it sold poorly than The Order.

Javin98

Banned
It's honestly annoying. Every time it gets mentioned people either talk about how they are glad it failed or how bad it is. People just have to move on
Yep, if people dislike a game, they should just move on and not complain about it endlessly.

Yep! Really hope that they will eat crow someday. :D Have hopes in RAD. They can make it up. :D
I have not played The Order, but I played GOW Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta, which were great games, so I still have faith in RaD.

Creating a new IP should absolutely be encouraged but when you don't have the sales or the critical success it's a money sink to continue the IP. Look at VC, ICO, SoTC and Sunset Overdrive. All IP's that are awesome despite not getting the sales they deserve. The Order is not that despite how hard -and I am sorry I have to say this- fanboys push for it by touting potential, dumb Uncharted comparisons or relationship with Sony.

I have mad respect for RAD for what they accomplished on PSP but I also live on planet earth, in reality. They failed in the worst way imaginable. I hope they do continue working with Sony but they have no right asking for AAA treatment again.

I agree. And beyond anything really, in a sales thread, it's been shown that the game failed to generate substantial sales.

I mean, once upon a time I thought Order would outsell Bloodborne but look at where we are right now.

Bgamer90

Banned
The appeal of SSO may be more niche, but genre? It's an open-world shooter with coop MP. In terms of being a popular genre, it's up there, imo.

It's just everything else about the game that isn't that appealing to the mainstream, unlike say. DARK AND GRITTY ZOMBIE OPEN-WORLD DYING LIGHT.

I more so meant style instead of genre (and I should have used that term in my post).

Sunset Overdrive appeal/genre considered a niche vs The Order? I believe you are really reaching with your argument here because for all intents and purpose SO appeal/genre is not niche. It's better to just admit it sold poorly than The Order.

I would say that a game with the high quality graphics and action of The Order is far more appealing to mainstream than a game that looks like it came out during the Dreamcast era. I also don't understand your "admit" point -- my post was never about that. It was simply about how I could see The Order having higher expectations than Sunset Overdrive and nothing more.

Rembrandt

Banned
I would assume that The Order being a new IP that didn't release during the busy Holiday season would cause bigger expectations.

and the order reviewed way worse than SO, so idk how SO failed worse in all accounts.

I ended up with a seesaw back and forth argument about the merits or lack their of for The Order for the *fourth* month in a row.

Sigh. Guys. I'm about to blow your minds. I enjoyed The Order. But it wasn't a life changing experience. Personally? I hope a sequel gets made because I feel the potential is there. Will it happen? Who knows! And that's about as invested in the topic as I care to be.

Why can't anyone let this go? Is it because it's a Sony exclusive title and this is a prime candidate to have a stealth console war? Why didn't Sunset Overdrive get this level of scrutiny? I basically feel that is the X1's equivalent. I enjoyed it, but it was nothing remarkable.

Did you miss the countless "Is Titanfall a failure?" threads we've had? People were saying since its first reveal and every reveal after that there was a good chance The Order would end up mediocre, but it was defended to hell and back by several posters here, so I'm not surprised to see people call it what it is.

These examples are awkward, because not all devs create IPs with the intention of franchising them/creating sequels. Fumito Ueda clearly never intended to make sequels to Ico/SotC in the first place anyway.

Even more so in consideration of how Japan Studio was run back in the day, where there was basically freedom to do whatever the hell they wanted as a studio.

I think they are up to the task of AAA gaming.
They just need to refocus their ambitions. Cinematography and QTE's should just be a very low priority.

6 hours of gameplay is not okay just because you wanted to avoid reusing assets.

I hope their technology will resemble the Gears of War series on UE3.
The first game was quite narrow and limited in scope.
As the series progressed, the game was able to open up and do far more and fell far less limited.

That does not mean that RAD should be doing The Order 2, but I think their next project could be far less limited and less short if they choose to be willing to reduce some visual fidelity and reuse some assets.

But otherwise, your hostility and readiness to continue to debate about the Order in an NPD thread is a bit troubling. Obsessive much?

I'm directly responding to Posters quoting me and their ad hominems.
I still couldn't give a shit if a sequel gets greenlit or not.
I think it won't, and that it has shown no merit for one.

Vroadstar

Well I think most people who enjoyed the game including me, am glad that your opinion doesn't count which game Sony need to greenlit or not. Time to move on now....

Bgamer90

Banned
So you agree SO did have more commericals dedicated to it then?

Yes, considering I've seen them. Never said otherwise.

And you don't think MS was hoping that SO would increase the user base of X1 with the huge marketing campaign and special bundles?

Definitely not nearly as much as the Holiday multiplats and Halo MCC. If anything, I would even say that they probably underestimated how well the special Sunset Overdrive bundle would do considering it became hard to find.

If you are going to use userbase size to determine sales expectations then every game should then be expected to sell most on PC.

We are talking about new exclusive IPs on consoles that still don't have large libraries of games. I don't think that PC is a good comparison.

At some point I guess it will be possible to rationally discuss the sales, budget and expectations for The Order but apparently we're still not at that point.

Intentional or not this post implies that the people who are destroying the order every chance they get are being rational, while the other "side" is not.

You, personally, may be rational about it, but as soon as the conversation starts the rationality goes out the window, and it does so from both sides.

Intentional or not this post implies that the people who are destroying the order every chance they get are being rational, while the other "side" is not.

True, but this is a sales topic about sales, so people arguing the case for a potential sequel on anything other than its sales and Sonys expectations thereof are - de facto - not arguing from a point of rationality.

Felessan

Are we talking about the same game? And The Order story is good in which universe? It's the most dated/cliched story executed in the most awful way possible. And the zombie things in UC were a 100x more terrifying to confront than the misplaced werewolves in the Order.
Zombies was so out of place in that story that a lot of people from my anecdotal experience complained about this particular part. It's not about being terrifying, it's just doesn't match well with the rest of the game.
And setting in Order is really great - Victorian England with vampires and werewolves, round table, knights and graal. Very European story.

U1 was a sleeper hit but it was a hit most assuredly. Sony even commented on its success in Europe compared the hush treatment regarding The Order. The game already dropped like a rock in UK and NA which bring in the most sales.
You are contradicting yourself.
First you speak of Europe with regard to Uncharted and then you focus on US/UK when speaking of Order. Uncharted bombed heavily in US, so either first part of your statement is wrong (that is Uncharted is successful due to Europe only) or second one (that is US/UK is the only part in the world that are relevant).
Even in UK, even though performance wasn't stellar, it wasn't terrible, game managed to stay 3 weeks in top5.

Not sure if you remember playing Uncharted 1. The AI was pretty sophisticated at higher difficulties. The flanking and enemy team work was very impressive.
AI is pretty sophisticated in Order too on higher difficulties. On the second to last encounter (just before you QTE you "friend") - it's rather difficult on hard and enemies tries to flank you all the time. But if you call AI "bad" if there is a lot of "safe" places from which you can kill all coming enemies with easy - UC1 was no exception from this.
The problems with combat in Order - that there just too few instances of it, and some of them designed poorly that there just no room for enemies to actually show you their skill as you are positioned too well (or can get into a very good position quickly) that prevents enemies from ability to flank you or show any reasonable "tactics" besides being a cannon fodder for you (and enemies in games are supposed to die from main character, so they will advance towards you even if you are in perfect position to slaughter them).

Linear concepts should never be used as throwing stone. UC1 was well paced an had a variety of paths to get from point A to B.
It's a comparison of complaints. UC1 have almost the same issues as Order do.
It too was repetitive, linear fixed design "arena with enemies -> jumping -> cutscene -> next arena", rather short, no replay value etc. It was new experience though and there were no real other games in the same genre to compare against, which helped a lot to overlook UC1 problems.

Vroadstar

I more so meant style instead of genre (and I should have used that term in my post).

I would say that a game with the high quality graphics and action of The Order is far more appealing to mainstream than a game that looks like it came out during the Dreamcast era. I also don't understand your "admit" point -- my post was never about that. It was simply about how I could see The Order having higher expectations than Sunset Overdrive and nothing more.

High quality graphics I definitely agree with you, but action? seems to me SSO is more action oriented than the order, heck wasn't that most of the negativity about the game? There is less gameplay? and graphics, I'm sure you are aware how colorful SSO is, definitely screams more mainstream to me.

Also, the "point" is, you are talking about expectations, which obviously, expectations about sales number. No matter how we twist it or go around it, in the end it's about how well one sold vs the other because one got higher expectations or less expectations.

The point still stands, if you release something near the holidays you "expect" it to sell more not less, which unfortunately for a great game like SSO really sucks, but that's what it is and The Order still sold more when you compare both.

Kill3r7

These examples are awkward, because not all devs create IPs with the intention of franchising them/creating sequels. Fumito Ueda clearly never intended to make sequels to Ico/SotC in the first place anyway.

Even more so in consideration of how Japan Studio was run back in the day, where there was basically freedom to do whatever the hell they wanted as a studio.

I think it's fair to say that in today's market there is less room for experimentation and innovation. There are real consequences to failure. Most major publishers try to minimize risk and try to bet on as sure a thing as possible. The idea of just throwing a ton of money at many new IPs in hopes of hitting a home run has been abandoned for the most part.

Massa

I think open world action games have significantly more appeal than "6" hour single player games at the moment.

Either way I hope to see more of both, and given the lack of lay off news so far I think the chances are pretty good.

Rembrandt

Banned
I think open world action games have significantly more appeal than "6" hour single player games at the moment.

Either way I hope to see more of both, and given the lack of lay off news so far I think the chances are pretty good.

not really unless you're ignoring all the things about SO that makes it significantly different from the usual output of games. the order appeals a lot more to where the market is at right now.

EGM1966

The problem isn't new IPs. The problem is when they are done just for the sake of doing new IPs.
It doesn't always make sense to make a new IP, but it did for The Order. Wouldn't make sense to make a sequel before the next generation though (where people might have forgot some points and/or might be more prone to accept possible improvements).

It also makes no sense to compare it to Uncharted 1 though.

Don't know what you mean by the bolded. Note I'd certainly not compare it to Uncharted, I've made clear in various threads I find it lacking). Nor would I expect Sony to be keen to fund a sequel.

Eolz

Don't know what you mean by the bolded. Note I'd certainly not compare it to Uncharted, I've made clear in various threads I find it lacking). Nor would I expect Sony to be keen to fund a sequel.

What I meant by that (sorry if it was unclear) is basically the opposite of how Nintendo works and why they're criticized. They make gameplay prototypes, and see if it fits one of their IPs and/or if they can create new characters. Like Kirby Epic Yarn not being a Kirby game at first, or Splatoon that could have become a Mario game if the team really couldn't come up with good original characters.

On the other hand, some publishers (Sony is one of them in some cases) doesn't really try to build over existing IPs and pushes new IPs at every generation, sometimes at the expense of older existing ones. Some pubs/devs (not necessarily Sony, and not talking about the Order there) create new IPs just to create new IPs. To say "hey, look at our new IP!", when it's not necessarily the case in terms of gameplay or themes, but useful for some reasons (marketing, demographics, etc).

Basically said that it'd sometimes be better to think about more than just the universe/name/theme to sell a game, even if it's exciting on paper. Consumers and critics will play the game (or a VN, or something else), and it should be as advertised. They won't play a trailer or a factsheet.

Both methods aren't the best btw, not saying that everyone should do like Nintendo

What I meant by that (sorry if it was unclear) is basically the opposite of how Nintendo works and why they're criticized. They make gameplay prototypes, and see if it fits one of their IPs and/or if they can create new characters. Like Kirby Epic Yarn not being a Kirby game at first, or Splatoon that could have become a Mario game if the team really couldn't come up with good original characters.

That's not entirely accurate on how Nintendo work - most of their games start out using Mario et al because they have those assets already available and they are incredibly conservative regarding production budgets.

It's less a case of them determined to shoehorn Mario into everything and more just how they have their eye on the financial bottom line at all times during development.

Elandyll

Banned

You and a few others in this thread are pushing the hyperbole to another level really.

For the month of Feb, the MCV Uk charts have the individual SKU of The Order at #2 behind Majora's Mask.
In most WW markets during the week of launch TO 1886 placed at #1 or #2.

So yes, it certainly was a disappointment I imagine for both Sony and RAD overall... But a "hyper bomba", or a "failure in the worst possible way"? Probably not even close to true.

I would also like to point out that an IP is forever, and will only ever be in wait of a competent development to be part of a good or even great game.

The Order has that potential I think, and only needs a good direction imo. Now that the engine exists, it will be up to Sony to decide what they want to do with the IP, if anything.
My point is that it isn't the IP itself that failed, it was a confused and misguided (it sounds) direction. The only reason it would/ should be shelved imo would be if Sony felt that the very name of The Order 1886 has now been tainted and is nigh unrecoverable (like a "Lair", or "Haze". HS is in a slightly different position with a niche fan base imo).

Percy

Banned

I don't know if this is referring to me or not, but I never directed any ad hominems your way, I merely said you came off as worked up, which didn't seem too unreasonable an observation after you responded to me asking how you were so sure about The Order's development costs being more than a list of some other games' budgets combined by acting as though I was accusing you of leading a hate campaign or some nonsense.

Apologies if you took it that way though.

LOL my thoughts exactly... Dunno why people are so captured by it. Would love to see a sequel, but if not they'd Ok to.

EGM1966

On the other hand, some publishers (Sony is one of them in some cases) doesn't really try to build over existing IPs and pushes new IPs at every generation, sometimes at the expense of older existing ones. Some pubs/devs (not necessarily Sony, and not talking about the Order there) create new IPs just to create new IPs. To say "hey, look at our new IP!", when it's not necessarily the case in terms of gameplay or themes, but useful for some reasons (marketing, demographics, etc).

Basically said that it'd sometimes be better to think about more than just the universe/name/theme to sell a game, even if it's exciting on paper. Consumers and critics will play the game (or a VN, or something else), and it should be as advertised. They won't play a trailer or a factsheet.

Both methods aren't the best btw, not saying that everyone should do like Nintendo
Ah got it. I think that's a case of "horses for courses" for me. In some instances I can see a concept or approach would need a brand new IP - I guess The Order is perhaps a good example in that Sony didn't have an existing IP that the concept would fit neatly. In others I can see that a gameplay concept might then be determined to fit and existing IP sensibly - Uncharted Karting (just kidding on that one).

As you say there's no right/wrong I think it's about what works best for the concept and the market conditions - for examples sometimes a purely new IP with new designs and characters can immediately seem fresher than new gameplay with a familiar character and IP.

But yeah got you now.

I'd agree that churning out new IPs like mad probably wouldn't make sense in principle in the same way milking existing IPs to death without introducing new IPs doesn't make sense either.

Umm...The Order is short, incredibly narrow, has a fantastic setting and promising lore, has a cliched story with some terrible dialogue, has fantastic graphics and sound, has great voice acting and I found the shooting sections to be great fun.

I don't think it's either the worst game or the best game ever. I can't understand why it would be hated or loved, to be honest.
If it was multi platform, I feel it wouldn't generate half of the furor here. People act as if it's an affront to gaming, yet will let themselves be micro transactioned to death by other games with anti-consumer gimmicks.

Uncharted bombed heavily in US, so either first part of your statement is wrong (that is Uncharted is successful due to Europe only) or second one (that is US/UK is the only part in the world that are relevant).

No, it did not. The first wave of Sonys output last time had more hits than misses--Resistance, Ratchet, Uncharted, GT5P all pushed a few million copies apiece. Hell, even HS sold a million.

The order is not close to any of these.

If you saying that Uncharted sold badly, you are wrong.
If consider a million copies a failure, then Bloodbourne has failed. The comparison is horseshit.

Eolz

That's not entirely accurate on how Nintendo work - most of their games start out using Mario et al because they have those assets already available and they are incredibly conservative regarding production budgets.

It's less a case of them determined to shoehorn Mario into everything and more just how they have their eye on the financial bottom line at all times during development.

Not exactly, for prototypes, like most development studios, they don't use existing characters (Splatoon used cubes for example). After that, there's other reasons obviously.
Never said they are "determined to shoehorn Mario into everything too", always thought that was a pretty poor accusation from people who didn't understand how much sense it made for Nintendo, given how most of their new IPs sell. They aren't stupid and know that some of their new IPs would fail without better characters.
When they aren't "shoehorning" him into games, it just shows how proud they are of new products, and also that they know that it could damage brands in other cases. They didn't manage to keep so many of their brands recognizable as good/important by having bad strategies on this point.

Ah got it. I think that's a case of "horses for courses" for me. In some instances I can see a concept or approach would need a brand new IP - I guess The Order is perhaps a good example in that Sony didn't have an existing IP that the concept would fit neatly. In others I can see that a gameplay concept might then be determined to fit and existing IP sensibly - Uncharted Karting (just kidding on that one).

As you say there's no right/wrong I think it's about what works best for the concept and the market conditions - for examples sometimes a purely new IP with new designs and characters can immediately seem fresher than new gameplay with a familiar character and IP.

But yeah got you now.

I'd agree that churning out new IPs like mad probably wouldn't make sense in principle in the same way milking existing IPs to death without introducing new IPs doesn't make sense either.

Yep, you've turned it way better than I did :p
(and again just in case, I'm not placing The Order in this category)

allan-bh

Uncharted was launched in november 2007 and in january 2009 was at 534k sold in US according to NPD.

Not "bombed heavily", but not so good either.

Uncharted was launched in november 2007 and in january 2009 was at sold 534k in US according to NPD.

2 years and only 534k in NPD?
Wow to think Bloodborne did half that in 2 weeks.
The Order is half that too but it took them a month

vpance

Enjoyed reading the TO discussions as always :)

I want to see RAD's skills be put to use again, with the same level of polish to the presentation, in a big game with a proper amount of gameplay framework. A TO2 would the safest bet since they could just iterate on assets and the engine. But I kinda feel that's a waste of their time now that the well is poisoned. They'd just be stuck in that never ending cycle of mediocrity that KZ is in.

The whole 100 man team thing slaving away for several years on a project with high initial ambitions doesn't seem conducive to achieving good results efficiently, which is why I think a team up is good for RAD.

Uncharted was launched in november 2007 and in january 2009 was at 534k sold in US according to NPD.

That's pretty darn shit, the game grew in NA but not hugely so with UC3 only doing about 600k or so first month. For a franchise that started pushing 4-5 million per game it shows that with the PS3 was pushing its first party sales mainly in EU. Only God of War sold better in NA compared to NA, everything else was a case of EU taking charge. Will be fun to see if that changes at all this generation, even now we've had posters break down console sales for PS4 so far and believe it's made most of its sales in EU so perhaps no change at all. :p

Eolz

I think some posters here don't remember the install base size of the PS3 in the US for its first two years...

Fdkn

I love when people compare LTDs of 8 years old games like Heavenly Sword that ended on 5-10$/€ bargain bins for years (sealed copies) with the performance of a 2months old game that hasn't dropped lower than ~40 yet if I'm not mistaken. The shipment will sell sooner or later, the game will get bundled, discounted digitally, etc and in a few years we'll hear that the order sold 1.5 million or something like that, like with HS, or even more.

What's important for Sony is the return they get in short-mid term and the untapped hypothetical potential and that's what will make them decide to greenlit a sequel or not.

Top Bottom