• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

MikeE21286 said:
Reason would stand that the gap in percentage differences would stay the same (if not increase) due to no relevant December software being released.

However , perhaps the effect (if any) of MW2 on 360 hardware sales can be seen if the gap declines.
Well, I'm including some of the run-up marketing for the big January release, Mass Effect 2, to increase X360's platform appeal and for that to increase the sales by a little. Also, lower-priced console SKUs do really well in the last minute Xmas purchasing period.

Mod Abuse
Dragona Akehi said:
Alright here comes the one and only warning you're all going to get:

Anyone else who makes the claim that the 360 outsold the PS3 because of "the mass bannings" after this post is going to get a six month ban.

It's fucking ridiculous: it's the same stupid argument that PS2 sold because people kept rebuying them because they broke. So knock it off.
/Mod Abuse

LCfiner

Nfinit said:
Why?

DA:O will be sold on more platforms and was released during the Holidays.

sorry, I should have said the 360 SKU of Dragon Age vs. 360 of ME2. not the 360+ps3+PC combined of Dragon Age (but maybe….)

here’s what Mass Effect did as a new IP in 2007. 473K. (launched same month as COD4: MW). that’s higher than DA this past month in the holiday season

I think now that it’s established itself, it’ll potentially sell around 600K in Jan without having to deal with the MW juggernaut.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Adam Blade said:
And I'm done. I'm just messing with you, gofreak. I know that you were referring to BF with your predictions.
Hang on, how did my "What is this thread actually about now?" quote get in there?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Valkyr Junkie said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else find December NPDs the most interesting as far as software? I guess that's due to the fact that there seldom are new AAA titles in the month, so it's interesting to see which ones pop back into the top 10.

It would also be a great indicator of hardware numbers, if it weren't for the fact that we of course get the HW numbers at the same time.

MechDX

Master Z said:
How do you know this? May I also have this knowledge? I'd love to know the game line-ups for next holiday season, especially exclusives. And what about Nintendo? Will the new Zelda release next year?!

HALO: Reach. Does MS need much more?

Somnid

Sanjay said:
WOW so that would make Mario Kart Wii the best selling game of this decade for consoles.

It's still behind Wii Fit, and Wii Play if you count that, and Wii Sports if you count that.

-PXG-

NPD threads always remind me how much I wish I could go back in time and invest in some of these companies.

DMeisterJ said:
Yeah, PS3 isn't low or anything, as it really only barely underperformed the GAF and analysts average, it's just that 360 is fucking HIGH! And that over performed.

Looking at 360's numbers from last November can you really say that they are "fucking HIGH" or that the system "over performed"?

Dragona Akehi said:
Alright here comes the one and only warning you're all going to get:

Anyone else who makes the claim that the 360 outsold the PS3 because of "the mass bannings" after this post is going to get a six month ban.

It's fucking ridiculous: it's the same stupid argument that PS2 sold because people kept rebuying them because they broke. So knock it off.

An aside: those MW2... that has to be at least 25% of the overall 360 userbase, no?

OMG, I've never wanted to hug anymore more in my life :) Thank you.

COD4 was on the top ten for 6 months after launch. With so many having already bought it, do you guys think MW2 will actually stick around nearly as long?

FrankT

Adam Blade said:

Originally Posted by WrikaWrek:
Poor MS, they must be feeling like shit.

Originally Posted by Tiduz:
this day is off to bad start for jtyettis

:p

zoavxz.gif

Glorious, drinks on me, and that includes you Mr. Pachter.

user_nat

Nfinit said:
I can't help but imagine the market for DA:O and Mass Effect are largely the same.
The first Mass Effect did 400k in November and December 07.

People think Mario Kart Wii makes another top 10 return next month? Or does NSMB Wii replace it as "the game you buy when you buy a Wii"?

Rand al Thor 19

I think people should have realized that the 360 beat out the PS3 when Microsoft didn't release a positive PR piece before NPDs today, as they have done for every month they lost to Sony in the past.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
pieatorium said:
Music game downturn might have a role in the overall software downturn? Considering the huge numbers for MW2 and NSMB not having a few hundred thousand expensive plastic guitar sales would make up some of the difference in $.
That would make sense if they were tracking revenue instead of unit sales. People are much more price conscious these days.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Adam Blade said:
Jonsoncao said:
no, dude, you missed the trend totally
I myself am an xbot, but clearly neither MW2 nor L4D2 is a system-seller
my rational guess would be PS3 obviously outsold red ring box during BF by a significant margin but not enough to brag a 2-1 ratio in their PR like M$ did with 3 to 1 last year

so I would say red ring box did sth like near 250k, and 120k of the previous week, for Nov NPD, anything between 450k to 550k is a rational guess for red ring box. As for PS3, anything below 700k is impossible.

And I'm done. I'm just messing with you, gofreak. I know that you were referring to BF with your predictions.
:D being pleasantly surprised is not bad, is it? :D

so either 360 sales sucked and I would get high pts in hardware prediction thread
or
decent 360 Nov sales would make my day :lol

EDIT: wait, cant u tell anything from my avatar? u dunno where it is from, do u?

bozeman

LMFAO at the reading comprehension levels of some of you. Reggie saying NSMBWii will outsell one SKU of MW2 through the end of January (which we'll have to wait until those numbers are released in FEBRUARY to find out if he's right) gets turned into "LULZ, Reggie said Mario would outsell 360 MW2 in November...epic pwned!!!"

I just KNOW there's a few of you holding off on buying NSMBWii until February because you want to see Reggie eat his words. C'mon...one of you fess up!

GhaleonEB

I just woke up from an unintentionally epic nap - no sleep for me tonight - so I hope I can be forgiven for a quick initial response:

PlayStation 3 710.4K
Xbox 360 819.5K

....wat :lol

EVERYONE called this one wrong. Wow.

I know it's just anecdotal, but every time I go into a Best Buy I ALWAYS see people buying PS3s these days, and hardly ever 360s. Shocked at these numbers. Maybe people buy their 360s more at Gamestops, which I never go to anymore.

stupei

Master Z said:
How do you know this? May I also have this knowledge? I'd love to know the game line-ups for next holiday season, especially exclusives. And what about Nintendo? Will the new Zelda release next year?!

Joke post?

Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake, Halo Reach, Splinter Cell Conviction, and Fable 3 are all announced for next year.

Tiktaalik

Damn MW2 insane. Everyone at that company has got to be driving a Ferrari to work at this point.

Fantastic sales for NSMB Wii exceeded my expectations. Nice to know that a 2D game can still make waves.

Return of Mario Kart Wii was unexpected. That game is a monster that never dies. :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
OldJadedGamer said:
Looking at 360's numbers from last November can you really say that they are "fucking HIGH" or that the system "over performed"?

Relative to what a lot people thought after BF it did.

A lot of people did crazy lowball it, though.

However, the common assumption that 360 must be down yoy based on the BF PR response did actually turn out to be technically true for the month overall aswell. Even if not by the margin a lot of people guessed.

olimpia84

My thoughts:

*Those MW2 numbers are simply insane!

*As far as the 360>PS3...all I can say is wow, I didn't expect that to happen at all. This is definitely a low blow for Sony :(

*The massive banning worked out for MS just in time for the release of MW2 increasing console sales. Good job MS.

*Nintendo enjoying the usual amazing sales. The Wii and DS can't be stopped. :lol :lol @ Mario Kart Wii.

*Reggie will end up being right. I really can't see the PS3 version of MW2 selling another million for each of the next two NPD months. NSMB Wii on the other hand will keep selling very well.

operon

GhaleonEB said:
I just woke up from an unintentionally epic nap - no sleep for me tonight - so I hope I can be forgiven for a quick initial response:

PlayStation 3 710.4K
Xbox 360 819.5K

Not everyone, there were a few of us who called it

Jonsoncao

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

PlayStation 3 710.4K
Xbox 360 819.5K

:D A pleasant surprise for me also :D

I had given up the hope that 360 would do good in Nov already a long time ago ever since saw those nice PS3 bundles on BF

olimpia84 said:
My thoughts:

*As far as the 360>PS3...all I can say is wow, I didn't expect that to happen at all. This is definitely a low blow for Sony :(

*The massive banning worked out for MS just in time for the release of MW2 increasing console sales. Good job MS.

*Nintendo enjoying the usual amazing sales. The Wii and DS can't be stopped. :lol :lol @ Mario Kart Wii.

*Reggie will end up being right. I really can't see the PS3 version of MW2 selling another million for each of the next two NPD months. NSMB Wii on the other hand will keep selling very well.

oops :lol

ZeoVGM

Banned
igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
The only reason more 360's were sold is because Bill Gates purchased like 200,000 to skew the sales figures.

It's pretty telling of your post history that I'm curious as to whether or not this is a joke post.

igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
LOL@people who think Supernatural is a good show, some of the dumbest shit I have seen in my life.

Oh, you're a joke character. My bad.

Master Z

MechDX said:
HALO: Reach. Does MS need much more?

HALO....Reach? Is that the triumphant return of Master Chief or is just a bunch of nobodies like that ODST thing? :p

But for real I wasn't asking you, but the wise, all-knowing VALIS if he may bestow upon me his complete knowledge of future video game releases and their impact on the industry. lol

user_nat

stupei said:
Joke post?

Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake, Halo Reach, Splinter Cell Conviction, and Fable 3 are all announced for next year.
Ummmmmmm

Crackdown 2?

Subitai

Dragona Akehi said:
PS: We can read your edits.
It might be helpful to put the warning in the 1st post if it isn't yet. A lot of people who can't check the thread out now just go to the first page and then give their opinion.

If you don't I'm sure there will be more people backing unintentionally into a ban like this:
olimpia84 said:
My thoughts:

operon

olimpia84 said:
My thoughts:

Umm you new to the thread.

olimpia84 said:
My thoughts:

Bye

ZZMitch

olimpia84 said:
My thoughts:

NOOOOOO NOOO NOOO NO

Top Bottom