• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

see5harp said:
Dude the new map pack is awesome. There are plenty of people still playing it.

I'm sure there are, they just aren't on my friends list. Everyone has shifted to BLOPS, Fable 3, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, or Kinect games... and of course, Netflix.

FrankT

donny2112 said:
8.4m for PS2 in 2002. Wii beat that in 2008 and 2009.

In Japan, it's the Monster Hunter platform. Elsewhere, it's the "dead" platform.

He's wrong. Maybe he means that it's just four signficant retailers, though.

By the way, can you fix that mistaken "5-week" thing in the OP?

Edit:
If there's really only two more, it'd be Best Buy and Target. Pretty sure there are a lot of smaller companies that NPD tracks, too, though.

I want to give money to EviLore to let us search back to the forum's beginning, but in the meantime, here's a marketshare breakdown from 2005.

02 was the highest year correct? 6.8-7 as second highest no(talking about just the PS2 here)? Anyhow on NPD I thought it was more than four.

According to NPD, here's how they stcack up now:

Walmart 21%
Best Buy 13%
Gamestop 12%
Target 10%
Toys R Us 9%
EB 9%
Circuit City 4%

So Wal-Mart is gone and Toys R Us., CC as well now of course. That would leave 4, but Amazon as well and I thought it grabbed some chunk of smaller retailers too.

exwallst

Microsoft has a problem if Dance Central and Sports didn't sell 300K units in the first month. That means no eventual 1M+ U.S. seller from any of the launch titles (even forgetting Kinect lifecycle is ~4 years shorter than the average bear). Only Resistance has had a launch month that low and gone on to 1M units. There are probably less than 10% of all 1M+ U.S. sellers to have a launch that low this generation.
If the Kinect teardowns are to be believed, on the other hand, Microsoft is fine just selling the hardware. That would be a sea change for them and I'd bet on the speculation here that they air freighted a bunch, gave away margin on bundles, etc.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
plagiarize said:
oh and to jump on the 'get rid of kevin butler' bandwagon, talking about your competitors in your adverts without them responding in kind for any lengthy period of time just makes you look like an also ran.
Well, these kinds of ads could work if the audience knew what you are talking about to begin with.

The main problem with these ads (that I see) is that while it can energize your current fan base so much they will start multiple threads about it on GAF right away with a circle jerk on how he owned Microsoft and Kinect, they don't do much to sell your product to those people that have no vested interest in Sony vs. MS war.

This is not an election campaign when mobilizing your fans will get you more votes and wins you the election. Saying something your existing customers like to hear so they can feel good about their purchase will not translate to sales to those people that are not your customers.

goldenpp72

exwallst said:
Microsoft has a problem if Dance Central and Sports didn't sell 300K units in the first month. That means no eventual 1M+ U.S. seller from any of the launch titles (even forgetting Kinect lifecycle is ~4 years shorter than the average bear). Only Resistance has had a launch month that low and gone on to 1M units. There are probably less than 10% of all 1M+ U.S. sellers to have a launch that low this generation.
If the Kinect teardowns are to be believed, on the other hand, Microsoft is fine just selling the hardware. That would be a sea change for them and I'd bet on the speculation here that they air freighted a bunch, gave away margin on bundles, etc.

if either sold 300k the potential for them to do 500k or so in december alone isn't out of the question is it? How do sales usually trend for the 'family friendly' games?

mm04

goldenpp72 said:
if either sold 300k the potential for them to do 500k or so in december alone isn't out of the question is it? How do sales usually trend for the 'family friendly' games?

Plus, the comparison of launch window game sales with a console is apples and oranges. Remind me again what game came free with my launch PS3 again? Kinect comes bundled with a game. There is no need to buy a game with it to actually start using it and enjoying it.

FrankT

Isn't this incorrect as of this month;
In fact, the 3:2 ratio of Xbox 360 to PS3 sales for Black Ops closely resembles the ratio of installed bases for those platforms. As of November 2010 the Xbox 360 installed base in the U.S. stands at just over 22 million systems while the PlayStation 3's base is nearing 14 million.

This was from lasts months thread;

ICallItFutile said:
DS: 43,284,258
PSP: 17,781,860
360: 22,165,075
PS3: 13,722,196
Wii: 30,524,281

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24441875&postcount=889

Crossing streams somewhere here. I know he usually posts the LTD, but would have go back a bit to track it.

Edit: Accidentally posted in the October thread apologies for the bump.

Edit 2: That is a pretty nice jump for PS3 at 1.2m versus 700k for 360. Though not sure how much more the 360 could squeeze out in a month. Very respectable launch month near Halo like numbers really.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Jtyettis said:
Isn't this incorrect as of this month;
You're right! I left a row out of the spreadsheet. Fixing.
Edit: Accidentally posted in the October apologies for the bump.
Saw that in my subscriptions page and thought "I wonder if he got the wrong thread..." ;)

Edit: Hope that's right now. Thanks!

donny2112

jvm said:
I wanted to write that this is the first game to sell 4.9 million in a single month of sales, but wasn't sure if it were true. Anyone?

It's "true," though it didn't really sell 4.9m. That's the combination of three SKUs. It's incredibly likely that the highest of those three set the alltime record for sales of a single SKU in a month, though. Probably surpassed Modern Warfare 2's highest first month SKU for that record. :)

Edit:
New Super Mario Bros. Wii would be in there with 2.8m in Dec-2009. Super Smash Bros. Brawl too with 2.7m in Mar-2008. Halo Reach is probably the fifth game in there for Sep-2010, but not 100% sure of its SKU breakdown. I'd guess that it's third, just above NSMB Wii, though.

Edit2:
Jtyettis said:
I know he usually posts the LTD, but would have go back a bit to track it.

I have ...

NDS - 44.8m
WII - 31.9m
360 - 23.6m
PS3 - 14.3m

mujun

BruceLeeRoy said:
Shit I knew it was a bad sign. I'm going to start collecting duck tales stamps surely that hobby will never let me down.

I can't decide which is worse. An industry where BLOPS sells 8.4 million or one where Shadow of the Collossus does :lol

mm04 said:
Plus, the comparison of launch window game sales with a console is apples and oranges. Remind me again what game came free with my launch PS3 again? Kinect comes bundled with a game. There is no need to buy a game with it to actually start using it and enjoying it.

This did:

TalladegaNightsBluray.jpg

exwallst

If Microsoft copied Nintendo's profit model as well as its motion control, they're ok with poor software sales. Not if they were playing it closer to their regular "razors and blades" model. They certainly don't have the 1st party stable to make Nintendo money there so that leaves 3rd parties and hardware. No launch hit will hurt 3rd party recruiting (and 3rd parties were already nervous about making money with motion controls, thanks in no small part to Microsoft pointing it out nearly every NPD report). Kinect mileage may vary but Microsoft has been bragging about the biggest hardware launch. It is a problem for Microsoft if the biggest hardware launch can't put even one game on pace that constrained launches posted.

Chrange

Banned
exwallst said:
If Microsoft copied Nintendo's profit model as well as its motion control, they're ok with poor software sales. Not if they were playing it closer to their regular "razors and blades" model. They certainly don't have the 1st party stable to make Nintendo money there so that leaves 3rd parties and hardware. No launch hit will hurt 3rd party recruiting (and 3rd parties were already nervous about making money with motion controls, thanks in no small part to Microsoft pointing it out nearly every NPD report). Kinect mileage may vary but Microsoft has been bragging about the biggest hardware launch. It is a problem for Microsoft if the biggest hardware launch can't put even one game on pace that constrained launches posted.
What poor software sales? Apparently the Kinect attach rate is nearly 1, so people bought the unit and a game. That's pretty decent for a $150 peripheral (or $100 add to bundle) in its first month.

People honestly thought a kinect title would chart in a combined SKU format, or is GAF just not used to this new NPD yet?

Owzers

shwimpy said:
PS3 version had a pretty big increase from last year.

I'm going to pretend it's for free online play...but who knows. The "map pack timed exclusive" doesn't seem to have a huge effect in 360's favor though.

(._.)

Banned
GT5 had such a weird release. No wonder NFS outsold it. Even if that is a multiplat game you would think GT5 would have crushed it with all its long time fans.

GavinGT

Banned
quickwhips said:
Everyone is waiting for Halo 4 Seriously I think that is when we see Call of Duty take a back seat. Until an official Sequel that everyone can get with MC. Great sales for Xbox and Wii. I don't understand what happened to PS3. But I think a price drop will fix it.

I sort of doubt Halo 4 is going to do Call of Duty like numbers. Call of Duty simply resonates with Americans more than space aliens. Having recently played through Reach, this fucking sickens me. However, if there's one thing Black Ops has shown, it's that name of the studio making the games they buy is not a factor.

fernoca

Re: Black Ops.
I think it should be noted that as of a few months ago, it was the Xbox 360 version of Modern Warfare 2 the one that still was in the Top 10 (before NPD changed their ways); even after last year's 4+ million debut month. So who knows what "crazy legs" Black Ops on 360 may have.

Rhindle

exwallst said:
I think you meant to post this in the PS3 Move thread, where it is actually applicable.

DC and Kinect Sports sold at an attach ratio of 20-25% in a single month, which is terrific by any definition. If selling a million copies is your success benchmark, both games will hit that mark, if not in December then in early 2011.

Pride

Redbeard said:
They're already outselling the competition world wide (360 at least)

Why would they drop the price just because they're not outselling the competition in one territory?
When Sony drops the price, it's usually a universal move for all regions. Wouldn't make much sense to just drop the price in the US because its sales in that region are lagging behind, particularly when there's nothing unhealthy about their world wide sales.

According to the link below the Xbox 360 is outselling PS3 in the UK
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-16-kinect-doubles-uk-xbox-sales

apana

So what will be Sony Killer App for 2011? I agree about what others have said about price tho, 300 is too big a psychological barrier. 250 feels just right.

Pride

Chrange said:
Sold...shipped...it's all the same, right?

Let's just see about that...

Sony has reported selling in 1.25m units of Gran Turismo 5 in the US. We know they only sold thru ~400k in November. For fun, let's say they sold another 250k since 11/27, that would mean they still have a 600k unit delta between what they sold in and what actually sold to customers. Almost 50%.

PS. I think you were being sarcastic so this thread was really meant for the others who are pinning to savior by sell in

Vizion28

Banned
Nintendo should have preemptively attacked Microsoft by releasing their very own motion tech cam. It didn't even have to be as high tech as Kinect. And they could have bundled it with Wii Dance - an easy 10 + million sales right there.

Seriously, sometimes Nintendo needs to hit below the belt like Sony and Microsoft does.

ShockingAlberto said:
Sony had to have known they conceded this holiday.

GT5 alone wasn't going to cut it. You need more than one piece of software to entice a frenzy.
They were counting on Move me thinks. I don't think that panned out as well as they had hoped.

fernoca

Pride said:

Sony has reported selling in 1.25m units of Gran Turismo 5 in the US. We know they only sold thru ~400k in November. For fun, let's say they sold another 250k since 11/27, that would mean they still have a 600k unit delta between what they sold in and what actually sold to customers. Almost 50%.

PS. I think you were being sarcastic so this thread was really meant for the others who are pinning to savior by sell in
Keep in mind that to the shipped number, they added Latin America too; which NPD doesn't cover.

Zoe

Pride said:

The holiday season isn't really the best time to try to analyze shipment numbers. Retailers are going to be ordering more shipments earlier than usual in order to stay stocked throughout the whole month.

Pride

fernoca said:
Keep in mind that to the shipped number, they added Latin America too; which NPD doesn't cover.

Fair point, they actually said North America which would include Canada as well. If both of those = 20% of the US (I think this is close but didnt do too much research) then 480k sold through launch to 11/27, then an additional 300k (unlikely but why not?) sold through since then we have 780k sold vs 1.25m shipped or 63% of sell in is actually sold through.

Mindlog

Vizion28 said:
Nintendo should have preemptively attacked Microsoft by releasing their very own motion tech cam. It didn't even have to be as high tech as Kinect. And they could have bundled it with Wii Dance - an easy 10 + million sales right there.

Seriously, sometimes Nintendo needs to hit below the belt like Sony and Microsoft does.

Isn't that the reason motion plus was announced ~hours ahead of Microsoft's 'Newton' reveal?

There was some entertaining speculation going about.

Nice Call of Duty chart. Man, I can't believe how many units the game's sold. Is this year's sku the version that finally peaks, or can this behemoth continue to grow? Just insane.

Cipherr

I just cant get over this, its so so good. I predicted both the Kinect and the Move would do fuck all, and would fizzle by their 18th month. Now maybe Im calling it a bit early but this start for Kinect is serving the fucking crow up so hard, they had their best month ever on the back of Kinect. I NEVER saw that shit coming. They did it :lol :lol the sunsabitches actually did it!

I've always seen potential, but out of everything motion related Kinect has the biggest chance of being a flash in the pan. Launching any new platform needs a steady stream of software to keep interest. But this is a drastically different idea in general. And developers have had more then enough challenge just acclimating themselves to Wii level controls.

Kinect takes that minor problem and completely kicks the shit out of it by taking away anything tactile at all!

If Kinect is the controller of the next Xbox... developers will have no fucking clue what to do.:lol

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Thunder Monkey said:
I've always seen potential, but out of everything motion related Kinect has the biggest chance of being a flash in the pan. Launching any new platform needs a steady stream of software to keep interest. But this is a drastically different idea in general. And developers have had more then enough challenge just acclimating themselves to Wii level controls.

Kinect takes that minor problem and completely kicks the shit out of it by taking away anything tactile at all!

If Kinect is the controller of the next Xbox... developers will have no fucking clue what to do.:lol
(opt-in) Hybrid games FTW.

exwallst

Rhindle said:
I think you meant to post this in the PS3 Move thread, where it is actually applicable.

DC and Kinect Sports sold at an attach ratio of 20-25% in a single month, which is terrific by any definition. If selling a million copies is your success benchmark, both games will hit that mark, if not in December then in early 2011.

1M is a good milestone because it is also nearly a top 100 list. It would be quite an accomplishment if either of those hit 1M in the US by the end of year and I would bet neither makes it ever. It is very hard to improve month on month sales and they would have to more than double. From the list, I can only think of Wii Fit, Music, Mario/Sonic Olympics, and some Call of Duty that have improved after a full holiday launch month. Dance Central should be especially worried because the overwhelming majority of its sales have to come from the US because its music stylings won't travel as well.

apana

Thunder Monkey said:
They'd have to.

I doubt most of these developers could figure it out. The freaking Wiimote scared them and that's barely a change compared to Kinect.

They will probably ship some sort of motion controller like the wii mote along with Kinect. Regular controller will be dead.

apana said:
They will probably ship some sort of motion controller like the wii mote along with Kinect. Regular controller will be dead.
As long as you hold plastic with buttons the controller will always live. It's taken a fuckton of different shapes since I started gaming. From a joystick with a button to the Wiimote, but it will never die... that is until stereoscopic 3D TV's become common place. Then a Kinect like interface makes sense.

edit: Until then something like Kinect is you standing in front of a television. Kinect with stereoscopic 3D is almost like jumping straight to a simplified holodeck.

exwallst said:
1M is a good milestone because it is also nearly a top 100 list. It would be quite an accomplishment if either of those hit 1M in the US by the end of year and I would bet neither makes it ever. It is very hard to improve month on month sales and they would have to more than double. From the list, I can only think of Wii Fit, Music, Mario/Sonic Olympics, and some Call of Duty that have improved after a full holiday launch month. Dance Central should be especially worried because the overwhelming majority of its sales have to come from the US because its music stylings won't travel as well.

So you think the millions of Kinects that will sell in December are going to be bought with no games?

Top Bottom