• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Thunder Monkey said:
They'd have to.

I doubt most of these developers could figure it out. The freaking Wiimote scared them and that's barely a change compared to Kinect.
Never underestimate Microsoft when it comes to developer platforms and tools. This is one thing they have historically done better than anybody else.

Rhindle

exwallst said:
1M is a good milestone because it is also nearly a top 100 list. It would be quite an accomplishment if either of those hit 1M in the US by the end of year and I would bet neither makes it ever. It is very hard to improve month on month sales and they would have to more than double. From the list, I can only think of Wii Fit, Music, Mario/Sonic Olympics, and some Call of Duty that have improved after a full holiday launch month. Dance Central should be especially worried because the overwhelming majority of its sales have to come from the US because its music stylings won't travel as well.
First off, December sales = 2x November sales, as a rule of thumb. Second, there are no additional Kinect titles releasing for several months. The current games should continue to sell at about the same tie rates through early 2011 at the very least.

DC and Kinect Sports will sell over a million copies without breaking a sweat. Your Shape and Kinectimals probably have a shot as well.

Pride

Rhindle said:
First off, December sales = 2x November sales, as a rule of thumb. Second, there are no additional Kinect titles releasing for several months. The current games should continue to sell at about the same tie rates through early 2011 at the very least.

DC and Kinect Sports will sell over a million copies without breaking a sweat. Your Shape and Kinectimals probably have a shot as well.

Brain Training a unique game for Kinect by the creator of Brain Age ships on 2/8, last I checked Brain Age was a pretty successful franchise.

GavinGT

Banned
exwallst said:
1M is a good milestone because it is also nearly a top 100 list. It would be quite an accomplishment if either of those hit 1M in the US by the end of year and I would bet neither makes it ever. It is very hard to improve month on month sales and they would have to more than double. From the list, I can only think of Wii Fit, Music, Mario/Sonic Olympics, and some Call of Duty that have improved after a full holiday launch month. Dance Central should be especially worried because the overwhelming majority of its sales have to come from the US because its music stylings won't travel as well.

There are going to be a lot of 360s flying off shelves in December (3 million?) and a lot of Kinects (2 million?) in the US alone. If these games maintain their attach rates, they each have the potential to sell 500,000 in December. Even if they don't reach the artificial milestone of 1 million by year's end, they'll continue to sell decently for the next few months and eventually hit 1 million easily.
But if you really think neither will hit 1 million ever, I've got money that says you're wrong.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Pride said:
Brain Training a unique game for Kinect by the creator of Brain Age ships on 2/8, last I checked Brain Age was a pretty successful franchise.
FirstInHell said:
This game is going to sell a ton. Microsoft should have pushed this game to be released at launch.
I was under the impression that the Brain Training games did well because they were on the DS and therefore portable. Didn't the Wii Brain Training bomb?

Jive Turkey said:
I was under the impression that the Brain Training games did well because they were on the DS and therefore portable. Didn't the Wii Brain Training bomb?
I don't know if bomb is the right word to use when talking about a game that cost $1.50 to produce and sold several hundred thousand units. But that's acting like it didn't have a pedigree to live up too.

In comparison to it's predecessors I think bomb would suffice.

Sipowicz said:
one thing i do hope is that sony gives the psp2 the support it deserves not the shitty support the psp1 got

it's clear that the PS3 is far from a huge sucess. it would benefit sony to put an equal, if not greater focus on the PSP2 and get teams like sucker punch and the warhawk people on the PSP2
I think PSP2 is going to have more of a struggle than they had with PSP. 3DS is going to be very stiff competition and Apple is making a huge move into the portable gaming space. It just seems even more competitive this go around.

Redbeard

Banned
jvm said:
Black Ops breakdown.

Xbox 360 = 4.9 million
PS3 = 3.1 million

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...For_Xbox_360_Sells_Nearly_5_Million_In_US.php

I wanted to write that this is the first game to sell 4.9 million in a single month of sales, but wasn't sure if it were true. Anyone?

60% 360, 40% PS3?

Wow, pretty surprised by the split for this game. Last year PS3 only did about 1.8 million for MW2 and had about a 30% split. This year it did 3.1 million. Nice little gain there for CoD on the PS3.

Redbeard said:
60% 360, 40% PS3?

Wow, pretty surprised by the split for this game. Last year PS3 only did about 1.8 million for MW2 and had about a 30% split. This year it did 3.1 million. Nice little gain there for CoD on the PS3.

People got tired of paying for Live.

maeh2k

Redbeard said:
60% 360, 40% PS3?

I'd imagine that for a lot of Xbox owners (such as myself) it was a choice between Halo and COD. I wanted just one multiplayer shooter and went with Halo. Last year ODST wasn't to the same extent competing with COD.

Hammer24

Banned
FirstInHell said:
Microsoft should have pushed this game to be released at launch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71ku2ZRT-90

Why blow everything out at launch, and then have nothing to follow up?
With Kinect people are giving the weaker launch games the benefit of the doubt, as Kinect is seen as revolutionary new technics. So MS needs a second wave of games, that make a rather polished impression, and sell on the "2nd generation Kinect game" claim.
If really polished, Brain Age could fulfill this.

IMO, MS needs three attack waves to make Kinect successfull:
1. Get launch games that show the potential of the new tech, and get people excited.
I´d say thats already a mission accomplished.
2. Get out a second wave of games, targeted at the casual crowd, that shows a only-possible-on-Kinect scenario. (In this regard I can´t see Brain Age)
3. Win over the hardcore crowd with a) some meaningfull hybrid implementation and b) some original game that uses it in a meaningfull way.
With what we´ve seen and heard thus far from Gears Kinect to Project Draco and Steel Batallion, I think there is a good chance they´ll succeed with point 3.
I have my doubts with point 2 now. Thats were people like Rare have to step up and shoulder the load.

donny2112

Jtyettis said:
So Wal-Mart is gone and Toys R Us., CC as well now of course. That would leave 4, but Amazon as well and I thought it grabbed some chunk of smaller retailers too.

EB = Electronic Boutique, so that's gone, too. Here's a fuller report from 2003.

Pride said:

You do realise that Nintendo make the Brain Age games and that Dr Kawashima's name has been used for clone games as well? Here's a hint, only one series bearing his name has been successful and it was made by that funny company that makes Mario and Zelda!

call-of-duty-history-breakdown.png

Interesting. So the majority of Black Op's gain over MW2 comes from sales of the PS3 version. Could it be that more new players bought PS3s over the last year who didn't already have a 360, while a larger percentage of new 360 owners already had a PS3?

(._.) said:
GT5 had such a weird release. No wonder NFS outsold it. Even if that is a multiplat game you would think GT5 would have crushed it with all its long time fans.
IMO, I did not expect GT5 to sell millions in NA (if I remember correctly, it took GT4 a bit to sell 2 million, and I expect lower sales from GT5...more like 1.5 million in the end).

I think if the game was released on its original release, we'd see around 500k-600k copies sold. The game was in many ads and would have been released before many games. Due to releasing late and people being unsure whether it would make it out this year, some people spent their money on something else and didn't have money left over for GT5 (or happy enough they bought a game). I remember with Uncharted: DF's, its initial sales seemed disappointing because many said they already bought Assassin's Creed or something else released sooner, so they skipped out on it.

supermackem said:
There still is for all cods released till 2012. Might have something to do with more people you know buying ps3s.:lol

PS3 was selling better last year off of the slim release. The jump in differential for MW2 vs other COD games is weird.

Do we have any Kinect numbers so far?

My two cents:

- Microsoft: Kinect is the Hot item to buy this year, akin to what Wii Fit was a couple of years ago. Coupled with the redesigned Xbox, it's making the Xbox the system with the most potential (sales-wise) this year. I've been convinced by Kinect's market potential a long time now, sadly, from a gaming perspective it's very far from convincing most of the gaming population (i think). In any case, congrats to Microsoft, they'll have a great winter.

- Nintendo: I'm not sure how much money they've spent on marketing this year but it's baffling how much systems they're still pushing for Christmas. 1.2 million Wii's in a single month, when you have nothing noteworthy out and your competitors have launched peripherals that're targeting straight at you - it's pretty cool. Nintendo must be really happy about the sales, though I'm sure they hoped that Donkey Kong was a huge success akin to NSMB, which so far is not. Oh and a watchful eye on Mickey, it should be a successful title but it doesn't seem so. BTW the DS software is going nowhere but the mass market completely ignores the situation

- Sony: Not much to say here. IMO the company is doing nothing wrong. Move is awesome, GT5 is awesome, and i believe 500k it's not a bad number, just when compared to the other 2. Sony's main problem is image, the company still seems tired and dragging behind. I don't think they stand any chance of recovering this generation, still i loved my PS3 (till it got burnt).

Haunted

Opus Angelorum said:
Which is remarkable, considering how cool the Playstation brand was just 10 years ago.
A decade is a long fucking time in the technology business. And the entertainment industry.

Haunted said:
A decade is a long fucking time in the technology business. And the entertainment industry.

It is, but is it a case of other companies taking that position (Apple) or Sony throwing it away with arrogance and bullishness?

Opus Angelorum said:
It is, but is it a case of other companies taking that position (Apple) or Sony throwing it away with arrogance and bullishness?

All I know is that they need to change the name next time around. "PS4" sounds so tiresome.

Haunted

Opus Angelorum said:
Oh yeah, Sony totally fucked it up, that's not debatable.

szaromir

Banned
teruterubozu said:
All I know is that they need to change the name next time around. "PS4" sounds so tiresome.
It does, however the name 'Nintendo' is a gaming brand in itself, Sony and Microsoft are not, so they have to stick to PS and Xbox brands respectively. Actually if Kinect is successful long term, then MS might have 2 gaming brands, but you catch the drift. Dropping Playstation name would be too risky.

Microsoft had a MW2 360 hardware bundle last year which probably made up the difference.
NPD doesn't count bundled copies.

The fall of the Playstation is karma for Sony killing the Dreamcast with false promises and lies. They don't even know why they launched the PS3 at $600, fate just made them.

RedStep

Thunder Monkey said:
Well you see the boards room was being painted and they just kind of sit around breathing deep.

What I wanna know is why they were using spray paint for their boardroom. You'd think they could afford better than Krylon. I guess Krazy Ken took the paint budget to teach them discipline as well.

Dabanton

butter_stick said:
The fall of the Playstation is karma for Sony killing the Dreamcast with false promises and lies. They don't even know why they launched the PS3 at $600, fate just made them.

That launch price will burn into their soul for the rest of this generation.

They could have completely crushed MS if they launched at a decent price, the mindshare they had would have seen to that and MS would have had no chance with all the third party franchises that Sony had. And which through negligence and arrogance they have now lost.

Looking at next year in terms of software for PS3 from a gamers POV it looks strong from a sales POV i don't see much that is is going to move major units, i only see Uncharted 3 and that's what late oct/nov? the rest are imo mid to no hopers. If your potential exclusive big seller is that late in the year then only a price cut will suffice but will Sony want to do that too early?

maeh2k said:
I'd imagine that for a lot of Xbox owners (such as myself) it was a choice between Halo and COD. I wanted just one multiplayer shooter and went with Halo. Last year ODST wasn't to the same extent competing with COD.
That and Sony didn't have any exclusives towards the end of the year to compete with Blops. 2010 was pretty front loaded for Sony.

DarkPanda said:
Fixed for ya.

Considering the extreme loyalty Sony had built with developers (particularly third party) during the early Playstation 2 years, Microsoft had to do something pretty drastic.

And you know, it worked.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jive Turkey said:

The Wii game is Big Brain Academy, which is an entirely separate franchise.

Top Bottom