• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

Jigorath

Banned
I'm just stunned at that. Either PS4 owners are cooling on remasters, or Wii U owners are that hungry for sidescrollers.

Both.

Not a lot of WiiU games coming out so Yoshi gets more attention.

On the flipside enough PS4 games are coming out so people don't feel the need to rebuy games they played last generation.

Good that Xbox pulled it out in the Halo month. But hardware sales overall look like people are clearly waiting for Black Friday this year after last year's ridiculousness.

BriGuy

Underwhelming hardware sales, but I imagine a lot of people are holding out for better deals as Christmas approaches. If you could hold off for just a few more weeks, you'd get one or two more free games and possibly a free controller or gift card for your patience. I guess we'll know soon enough.

Bruno MB

I just hope that niche games like Dragon Quest Heroes or Tales of Zestiria fared better because unlike big releases they won't have a second chance since the vast majority of their sales are during the first weeks (or even days).

Any hints CosmicQueso?

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I expected a bigger holidays for PS4 compared to XB1 in 2014... i changed my predictions.
Yeah, i believe PS4 is not gonna sell THAT much.

For the holidays sales in November and December, i believe we will see:

XB1 2014 > PS4 2015 > XB1 2015 > PS4 2014

VinFTW

Please see posts later, from someone who likes pies.

Then come back to me with any kind of rationale on how it still is.

For 5 days on the market it tops some pretty popular franchises, not to mention, like someone said, "black friday sales and Nov will drive up numbers". I don't see how it doing ~1mill is bad for the X1 this day and age. But hey, Halo is dad guys!

Damn, that is some drop off.

November 6TH vs. October 27TH

Yeah, SOME drop off.

MCC was a remaster collection and it charted #3 last year. It's funny how those who said Halo 5 selling in the UK it couldn't have been digital for the reason now say digital is the reason for other games charting so low.

MCC charted at #10 last year, but it did so in the most competitive month of the year (November). DA:Inquisition didn't even chart that month, and EA has said they're very happy with its sales.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The big months are November and December. Here is NPD numbers for last year

October 2014 NPD

PS4: 297k
XBO: 168k
3DS: 138k
360: 71k
Wii U: 69k

Well it doesnt look ...that.... bad considering.

Two predictors had XB1 around that (1 at 300K and another at 310K). Both has PS4 winning, though. Think most everyone's pretty shocked at the low numbers this month.

Yea...that might be whats more shocking. I expected higher numbers for XBO.

It looks like October is a bad month for a price cut since people might just wait a few weeks for a bigger deal anyway.

they most likely did the price drop in October to try and take some of the hype away from Halo month. since they had great games releasing, just niche, they knew they needed to generate some level of hype another way.

seemed like it was unnecessary. 300k month is pretty standard stuff.

lol what? no they're not ...

305k for XB1 all things considered is low, I mean it isn't super low, it should be in the realm of 400k - 450k to be a good healthy boost.

Its a considerable boost YoY. Ive always said this, but consoles tend to trend upward for the first 4-5 years thanks to bigger library, social aspects, and price going down etc

What we saw was a solid growth YoY for consoles in general and a considerable growth for Xbox One.

Either expectations were unrealistic, or people didnt do their homework.

gatti-man

How is a PS3 remaster bundle placing in the top 10 a bad thing? Millions played and probably own the games, they came out somewhat recently, the extra incentive was a Beta, what am I missing here...

Also - Blops, Fallout & Battlefront are all hitting this month, there will be plenty of Black Friday sales/bundles. Even the dumbest consumer has the smarts to wait it out a few extra weeks. Relax people! November will be insane

Oh and the Shia gifs. Need more Shia gifs.
Ps4 is going to blast off into orbit in November. Seriously. Battlefront is going to pull in a crazy amount of casuals. Anyone I know that games is buying a ps4 for battlefront in November.

Halo 3 month - 527.8K X360
Halo 4 month - 1260K X360
Halo 5 month - 305k XBO
Not sure this is a fair comparison.

Halo 4 came out in November (which is a much bigger month for HW sales), and Halo 3 came out in September which has five weeks of sales compared to four in October.

Not saying Halo hasn't declined, just that the comparison here does not show a fair picture.

Koobion

There wasn't much in terms of huge software releases in my opinion, besides Halo. Halo didn't have to combat anything big, but that shouldn't take away from its image of success.

Congratulations to 343! :)

I think people are being way too dramatic over this, geez. November and December are the big months in terms of releases and big sales numbers. They're going to be the months to gauge.

I just hope that niche games like Dragon Quest Heroes or Tales of Zestiria fared better because unlike big releases they won't have a second chance since the vast majority of their sales are during the first weeks (or even days).

Any hints CosmicQueso?

fortunately those two games are on steam and will probably have more longevity that way =D

i fear for disgaea 5 though

There aren't bad, but are really low if you think PS4 got a pice drop + Uncharted + Syndacate and XB1 got Halo 5.

The $50 price cut did not seem to matter only to keep things the same .
Even more so with Nov and Dec coming up .
If Sony sells less consoles than last year Nov then we have a serious problem .

SwolBro

Banned
XBone/PS4 are a bit underpowered and underwhelming this gen. I expect some serious price drops next year from both parties. That only makes sense right? We'd be approaching our 4th holiday season with this gen.

GnawtyDog

Banned
There aren't bad, but are really low if you think PS4 got a pice drop + Uncharted + Syndacate and XB1 got Halo 5.

Relative to what's going on software wise, it's low. PS4 numbers relative to a price drop for the market leader of all people - disappointing through the roof.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
For 5 days on the market it tops some pretty popular franchises, not to mention, like someone said, "black friday sales and Nov will drive up numbers".

November 6TH vs. October 27TH

Yeah, SOME drop off.
Ok but he has the actual numbers so he can tell you that everything is disappointing. Why do people obsess about chart position?

AdanVC

Go Yoshi! Beating Uncharted and even Rock Band! Wasn't expecting that at all so congrats to Nintendo on that regard. Also MGSV not on top ten anymore? Last month didn't even was on #1..... bomba?

GeeDuhb

I guarantee the Black Friday sales leaks played a role. No real deals this month. And yes, explosive Nov/Dev sales will be the new norm.

It's not even leaks...with the way retailers have been discounting/bundling/including freebies the past 3 years during Nov/Dec as a whole, (not even just Black Friday) this should not at all come as a shock. People know the discounts are coming. I think because of this, we are in for huge numbers the next 2 months.

Kayant

If PS4 < last month, then I think the numbers are probably wrong, and NPD are desperately looking in to it. I'd be surprised at Xbox only being 304K as well.

Otherwise, no idea what's going on, as the sales on amazon etc have been strong all month. Doesn't make sense.

Don't put too much weight in amazon. They are only like 5% or 6% of NPD tracking. Can't find the post atm.

Dat Elite controller revenue.

FDC1

XBone/PS4 are a bit underpowered and underwhelming this gen. I expect some serious price drops next year from both parties. That only makes sense right? We'd be approaching our 4 holiday season with this gen.

Why is everyone adding one extra year to this consoles? It will be their 3rd christmas.

Top Bottom