• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Pagusas

Elden Member
Does anyone have an indication of time frame when Nvidia will be releasing Volta cards?

I think that depends entirely on how AMD does. If they do well I can imagine we'll see the first cards by January 18, if they do poorly then probably late spring 18. Either way I think it's safe to assume a 1080ti will last everyone at least 2 generations

Compsiox

Banned
I can't believe I only had to wait a day to not open my Armor lol. I seriously thought the Strix wouldn't be shipping until like late April.

Lost faith too quickly perhaps.

Definitely don't regret opening the Armor tho.

Pagusas

Elden Member
How much do you think you can get for it? I would like to sell mine as well. Also, what's the best place to sell it?

For others here. I ordered the evga ftw3, what's the major difference b/t that and the strix?

Evga support and a slight higher OC on the Strix. I expect both cards to perform identitcal.

Compsiox

Banned
I think that depends entirely on how AMD does. If they do well I can imagine we'll see the first cards by January 18, if they do poorly then probably late spring 18. Either way I think it's safe to assume a 1080ti will last everyone at least 2 generations

Agreed. I'm not moving up to 4K in the foreseeable future and the 1080ti is doing really well for 1440p.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I can't believe I only had to wait a day to not open my Armor lol. I seriously thought the Strix wouldn't be shipping until like late April.

Lost faith too quickly perhaps.

Definitely don't regret opening the Armor tho.

My Gaming X arives tomorrow, I'll admit I think the Strix looks better and am nervous about this card, kinda wish I had waited to grab the Strix, but oh well, I'm sure if I dislike the look of the card that much someone here will buy it off me for a slight loss, and I'll keep the FTW3

Soltype

Just got a confirmation for my ICX upgrade for my FTW and I plan to do a step up.Are they planning to release a icx base Ti?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
For those who are throwing money at hardware and want the best middleground of image quality, high settings, and performance, 1440p is absolutely the best choice. Any game with a lot of geometric and texture variety and density will pop at 1440p, particularly stuff like The Witcher 3 and other games with a lot of foliage. The DPI is also well suited to ~27inch monitors.

4K is the dream, but the card performance just isn't there yet unless you're happy to scale back settings.

Those new 4K HDR g-sync displays are supposed to be really expensive aren't they?

For those who are throwing money at hardware and want the best middleground of image quality, high settings, and performance, 1440p is absolutely the best choice. Any game with a lot of geometric and texture variety and density will pop at 1440p, particularly stuff like The Witcher 3 and other games with a lot of foliage. The DPI is also well suited to ~27inch monitors.

4K is the dream, but the card performance just isn't there yet unless you're happy to scale back settings.

My plan is to stay on the 1080p/144hz/g-sync train until 2020. Then, I will go full 4k, with hdr monitor, high frame rate, gysync, etc.

And this is why, even with a 4k display that I game on, I'm just going to wait until the round of cards to upgrade my 980Ti. I keep almost pulling the trigger on the 1080Ti, but I know I'm still not going to get the performance I want for the display I have. Waiting does hurt a little, though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well, this is annoying:

Mar 31, 2017 @ 12:27AM PT
Carson, CA, US DEPARTED FROM EXPORT FACILITY
Mar 27, 2017 @ 3:54 PM PT
Carson, CA, US DEPARTED FROM EXPORT FACILITY

I can only assume that my package was left behind and DHL didn't realise this until three-and-a-half days later. It's not Newegg's fault, but I'll definitely be arguing for a refund on the shipping fee.

tuna_love

Banned
Well, this is annoying:

I can only assume that my package was left behind and DHL didn't realise this until three-and-a-half days later. It's not Newegg's fault, but I'll definitely be arguing for a refund on the shipping fee.

how much cheaper was it compared to our prices?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
how much cheaper was it compared to our prices?

Around $185 cheaper, all told, or ~$227 if (well, when) Newegg refunds me the shipping fee. Not a terribly big difference, granted, but large enough to be worthwhile, especially considering EVGA's global warranty policy.

longdi

Banned
I expect the 1080Ti to last me 18 months at 1440p.

After which i think good HDMI2.1 PC monitors are available, then we all can move to 4K/HDR/60/full pixel bandwidth.

So far only Asus has announced a 4K HDR FALD monitor that isnt launching until end of year. We are some time behind for true 4K PC gaming. :D

I expect the 1080Ti to last me 18 months at 1440p.

After which i think good HDMI2.1 PC monitors are available, then we all can move to 4K/HDR/60/full pixel bandwidth.

So far only Asus has announced a 4K HDR FALD monitor that isnt launching until end of year. We are some time behind for true 4K PC gaming. :D

But can it run snake pass?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So I'm thinking over the next couple of weeks if I'm feeling my purchase trigger finger itch I'll bite on the ASUS Strix or MSI Gaming. Someone advise me otherwise to, I dunno, wait for another round of models that might clock even higher.

Those new 4K HDR g-sync displays are supposed to be really expensive aren't they?

Yeah, stupid expensive. I still want one.

sono

I have had my 1080 graphics card about 4 weeks from new before the ti was announced. basically if I had waited 2 months I could have had 30% more performance for the same price

EVGA FE with 2600k @ 3.8

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12173211

Couple of flashes of artifacts.

Can't wait to put this thing under water alongside a water-cooled, OC'ed 7700k.

Let us know when you do that.

Here is my 1080/7700k result

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12172551
My overall result is much better, but your graphics score is 28,879 against my 23,883

the 7700k is a beast, got mine from siliconlottery.com

Do you think 1440p @ 24" is worth it? Or go with 27"? I have an Acer x34 for my PC and an older fhd 24" benQ that I use with my consoles. I'd like to upgrade the latter to something that's 144hz+gsync for competitive shooters/mp (and connect it to my PC). My issue is: I can't find a 144hz+gynsc+IPS monitor @ 24" and I worry about how console games will look on a 1440p monitor that's larger than 24...can't make a decision on this one -__-

Alexious

Not really sure why you'd say that when the card goes close to and in some cases well beyond 60 FPS on practically all titles save for the unoptimized ones like Mafia III, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Watch Dogs 2 and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

That's without overclocking it much, otherwise performance can be even better. This is the first relatively affordable single GPU for 4K@60.

Managed to snag a MSI gaming X right now from newegg. Was contemplating the STRIX but it's sold out and my history with ASUS has been less than stellar in the past and I completely missed out on them going up for sale.

Renekton

Not really sure why you'd say that when the card goes close to and in some cases well beyond 60 FPS on practically all titles save for the unoptimized ones like Mafia III, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Watch Dogs 2 and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

That's without overclocking it much, otherwise performance can be even better. This is the first relatively affordable single GPU for 4K@60.
So anything that is demanding on GPU is auto-declared unoptimized?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Guys, I'm trying to pre-order the FTW3 from EVGA site but don't see any way to add to my cart or pre-order. Only option on the page is "Auto-Notify". It doesn't way "Sold out" or "out of stock" either. What's going on?

Wallach

Guys, I'm trying to pre-order the FTW3 from EVGA site but don't see any way to add to my cart or pre-order. Only option on the page is "Auto-Notify". It doesn't way "Sold out" or "out of stock" either. What's going on?

Auto-notify means it is out of stock, but you can sign up to have it auto-notify you via email when it becomes available again.

Dave_6

Auto-notify means it is out of stock, but you can sign up to have it auto-notify you via email when it becomes available again.

It doesn't really work either as I got the email a day later after they first went up for preorder.

By the time these are widely available, the next big thing will be about to release. It's amazing to me that something quite expensive sells out so insanely quick.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm not seeing it on their website, i only see ftw, sc and fe.

ICX is the name of their new cooling design. All the new cards use ICX cooling.

See "EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING, 11G-P4-6696-KR, 11GB GDDR5X, iCX Technology - 9 Thermal Sensors & RGB LED"

I believe your ITX upgrade excludes TI's

That doesn't help me on a 75" screen :p. This card is for 4k for me, nothing else. But I don't mind 4k/30 in the future. Also I don't mind cutting back on AA when at 4k.

masterkajo

amazon.de has the MSI 1080 ti Gaming X for about €750 which is about €50 cheaper than the cheapest so far. Most 1080 ti are costing €819+. Just FYI.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Nooooooo Fed Ex shipping exception :( "beyond our control delay".

Edit: Delivered and installed.

And now I'm heartbroken, Fuck MSI I never should have went against my gut. The worst coil wine I've ever heard on a card! :( :( :( And I dont think Newegg will let me return it for a refund, just a swap.

Top Bottom