• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Hellix

Anyone using the FE in a SFF case? How are the temps and noise? I am thinking up stepping up from my 1080 FTW2 to see if the blower style would improve temps, but I am not sure...

Wallach

Anyone using the FE in a SFF case? How are the temps and noise? I am thinking up stepping up from my 1080 FTW2 to see if the blower style would improve temps, but I am not sure...

Even in an open case, the FE is going to throttle boost and sit at 83c under load.

Weevilone

I'm not sure I'm reading correctly. Are you going to step up to a Ti, or the normal 1080? What temps are you trying to improve, the GPU or other case temps?

My SFF case is horrible with an aftermarket card. It works great with FE, but with the other styles the power supply fan and other case fans spin like it's going into orbit without a blower-style cooler on the GPU.

This is one of the reasons I prefer FE cards in my main rig, so I can hand them down to my 2 SFF cases later.

AtlAntA

amazon.de has the MSI 1080 ti Gaming X for about €750 which is about €50 cheaper than the cheapest so far. Most 1080 ti are costing €819+. Just FYI.

I only see an out of stock card for 836 euros.

Edit nvm I selected the netherlands as delivery country and it automatically calculated the taxes (btw) or something like that.

So set up my 1080 Ti, had to plug in the DVI adapter that came with the card to plug into my BenQ monitor but now it wont let me select 1440p. It has resolution levels up to 1080p only and no higher (except bizarrely, 2715 x 1527 which looks blurry)

Before upgrading the card, I had Titan X Maxwell which was fine at 1440p

Anyone have any ideas what to do?

So the 1080 Ti runs games at 1080p well.

Ugh, so I used to have Titan X maxwell connected to a 1440p benq monitor with DVI .

Now I installed my new 1080 Ti, it doesnt come with a built in DVI port any more (uses space to increase airflow) - but it does come with a DVI adapter. So I used that, and the BenQ refuses to run above 1080p now. OK so I try to use HDMI - works on my 1080p television, but same cable doesnt work with my benq it says no signal found. I bought it ages ago so its too late to return it or anything.

So I basically got a 1080 Ti and have downgraded from 1440p to 1080p.

Its hard going back to programming on a 1080p screen.

1080 - mandated

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
So the 1080 Ti runs games at 1080p well.

Ugh, so I used to have Titan X maxwell connected to a 1440p benq monitor with DVI .

Now I installed my new 1080 Ti, it doesnt come with a built in DVI port any more (uses space to increase airflow) - but it does come with a DVI adapter. So I used that, and the BenQ refuses to run above 1080p now. OK so I try to use HDMI - works on my 1080p television, but same cable doesnt work with my benq it says no signal found. I bought it ages ago so its too late to return it or anything.

So I basically got a 1080 Ti and have downgraded from 1440p to 1080p.

Its hard going back to programming on a 1080p screen.

1080 - mandated
only the founders edition of the 1080 ti doesnt have a DVI port, most third party cards if not all have the DVI port

Nooooooo Fed Ex shipping exception :( "beyond our control delay".

Edit: Delivered and installed.

And now I'm heartbroken, Fuck MSI I never should have went against my gut. The worst coil wine I've ever heard on a card! :( :( :( And I dont think Newegg will let me return it for a refund, just a swap.

The 1080s seemed to have that problem too. Kind of making me weary of getting another one and getting coil whine again. Might just wait for a STRIX restock and take my chances.

Could also be a PSU issue. I've changed PSU in builds and have had coil whine go away.

Compsiox

Banned
Nooooooo Fed Ex shipping exception :( "beyond our control delay".

Edit: Delivered and installed.

And now I'm heartbroken, Fuck MSI I never should have went against my gut. The worst coil wine I've ever heard on a card! :( :( :( And I dont think Newegg will let me return it for a refund, just a swap.

I'm sorry that sucks.

Kevin

Any word yet on when the Zotac lineup or Inno3D lineup will become available. I find it strange that we are in April now and still no release date for most of the custom cards that have been on sale in other countries nearly a month back now.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm sorry that sucks.

going to call Newegg and work it out. Worst comes to worst I'll keep my evga preorder and sell this one.

The 1080s seemed to have that problem too. Kind of making me weary of getting another one and getting coil whine again. Might just wait for a STRIX restock and take my chances.

Could also be a PSU issue. I've changed PSU in builds and have had coil whine go away.

This psu has run another gpu without issue for the last few months, I don't believe it to be an issue. It seem the issue only happens during benching, so I'm guessing it's the typical high frame rate whine

I'll continue testing and see what comes.

going to call Newegg and work it out. Worst comes to worst I'll keep my evga preorder and sell this one.

This psu has run another gpu without issue for the last few months, I don't believe it to be an issue. It seem the issue only happens during benching, so I'm guessing it's the typical high frame rate whine

I'll continue testing and see what comes.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a FTW3 on preorder and MSI on the way. Might try my hand at getting a STRIX as well just in case. Good thing is I can put the cards with whine in computers at work.

Ive been checking newegg on my phone every other hour for an Asus restock lol. I don't trust their auto notify.

So I have two 780ti's and I was thinking of giving one away to a friend and keeping the other one in my case as a physix card for shits and giggles until another friend told me it would cause problems and a loss in performance. Is he right? If so I'll just figure out what to do with the other card.

Kevin

Ive been checking newegg on my phone every other hour for an Asus restock lol. I don't trust their auto notify.

So I have two 780ti's and I was thinking of giving one away to a friend and keeping the other one in my case as a physix card for shits and giggles until another friend told me it would cause problems and a loss in performance. Is he right? If so I'll just figure out what to do with the other card.

Yeah same here. Strange that no other site got any cards. Figured Amazon would have got at least a batch.

Same. There were some restocks about 5 hours or so ago supposedly. Gone within minutes.

Just sell it or keep it as a backup, using a separate card as a PhysX card isn't worth it anymore.

Hellix

I'm not sure I'm reading correctly. Are you going to step up to a Ti, or the normal 1080? What temps are you trying to improve, the GPU or other case temps?

My SFF case is horrible with an aftermarket card. It works great with FE, but with the other styles the power supply fan and other case fans spin like it's going into orbit without a blower-style cooler on the GPU.

This is one of the reasons I prefer FE cards in my main rig, so I can hand them down to my 2 SFF cases later.

The GPU temp. 1080 -> 1080 Ti

Even in an open case, the FE is going to throttle boost and sit at 83c under load.

That's what I am experiencing now with the 1080 FTW2 under 100% load. Cranking the fans at 100% can get loud but I imagine the FE would be louder.

masterkajo

I only see an out of stock card for 836 euros.

Edit nvm I selected the netherlands as delivery country and it automatically calculated the taxes (btw) or something like that.

Apparentely, the Card costs more now. Must have been a small price Mostar.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Well good news, I've issolated the coil whine to ONLY benchmarks hitting 300fps+

Anything bellow that and she opperates silently. Anyone have any clue why this is?

Beyond that, next question. In MSI Afterburner the Powerlimit % is limited to a max of 117%. Is that a hard limiit? Whats the best way to feed this card all the power it wants? I got a ton of temp overhead (15 minutes of full load in OC mode and she's at 72c, she can take a lot more).

Currently in OC mode without touching anything, boost clock hits 1806. I have no doubt she can do 2000 steady, I just need some help with configuring Afterburner to do it.

Pagusas

Elden Member
New Egg has the EVGA FE, but I kinda want a custom version....

Seriously wait for a custom. The thermal difference alone is HUGE. If a 2 fan MSI Gaming X is hitting a max temp of 72c in a mini ITX case at 117% power, imagine what the 3 fan FTW3 and Strix would do (probably about the same given they are all the same class of card, but still!!). The FE's can't even keep there baseclock from hiring 83c

Well good news, I've issolated the coil whine to ONLY benchmarks hitting 300fps+

Anything bellow that and she opperates silently. Anyone have any clue why this is?

That's normal. Coil whine is most notable when you're running benchmarks with massively uncapped framerates. If it's not really evident during normal gameplay with normal framerates, then everything is fine and you don't need to worry about it. In general, coil whine exists because it's impossible to control for every possible hardware combination and some just seem to trigger it and others don't. Some people will try to replace the power supply until they find one which doesn't make the card whine, I personally don't think it's worth the trouble.

Pagusas

Elden Member
That's normal. Coil whine is most notable when you're running benchmarks with massively uncapped framerates. If it's not really evident during normal gameplay with normal framerates, then everything is fine and you don't need to worry about it. In general, coil whine exists because it's impossible to control for every possible hardware combination and some just seem to trigger it and others don't. Some people will try to replace the power supply until they find one which doesn't make the card whine, I personally don't think it's worth the trouble.

Thank you, yeah I just read a few articles that basically said nearly all GPU's will whine in some form when pushing 300-500fps as it's just an insane thing for them to do. I'm sorry I over reacted, next time I should probably throw harder benchmarks at a brand new card right out of the box :p

I forgive you for now MSI. Mainly because this card is overclocking like a beast now that I figure out afterburner. 2100 and holding! About to try pushing it to 2150, temps are sitting at 75c and she's pretty quiet (60% fan to hold this!)

On a side note, how ridiculous is it that I have the most powerful card in existance at the moment and the first thing I do to it is overclocking it -_- I have an addiction

longdi

Banned
Found this!

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B06XRWYXJY/ Germany?

E: Just tried to put the ASIN on the US site and no go. If I remember correctly ASIN is the Amazon equivalent of a SKU for them.

I think Asus is running a promo and they are giving DoW3 free for buying their stuff now!

Even including import tax that's still over $200 cheaper than buying locally in Australia. How is Asus' warranty for international purchases?

Asus dont have international warranty though.
Only EVGA afaik

Pagusas

Elden Member
How has mobile pascal been working out for Nvida? Any heating or power issues?

Very very very well. The wife has a 1060 in her MSI GS63 and the thing is super light and thin and powerful. As another said it's the damn i7 that keeps making the thing super hot.

I feel like the 1060 is the sweet spot for laptop power/size

How has mobile pascal been working out for Nvida? Any heating or power issues?

Everything up to 1070 is great - 1080 also can work great if laptop has adequate cooling but I've seen some models where it's only slightly above 1070 due to overheating.

1080ti I'd expect to only work in big and heavy desktop replacements

Found this!

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B06XRWYXJY/ Germany?

E: Just tried to put the ASIN on the US site and no go. If I remember correctly ASIN is the Amazon equivalent of a SKU for them.

Even including import tax that's still over $200 cheaper than buying locally in Australia. How is Asus' warranty for international purchases?
This what I found.

"Australia statement notice
From 1 January 2012updated warranties apply to all ASUS products, consistent with the Australian Consumer Law. For the latest product warranty details please visit http://www.asus.com/support/Search/Warranty/ Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure."

I think Asus is running a promo and they are giving DoW3 free for buying their stuff now!
Yup! Thanks for the heads up, found this!

https://asus-promotion.eu/dow3/

This what I found.

"Australia statement notice
From 1 January 2012updated warranties apply to all ASUS products, consistent with the Australian Consumer Law. For the latest product warranty details please visit http://www.asus.com/support/Search/Warranty/ Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure."

Yup! Thanks for the heads up, found this!

https://asus-promotion.eu/dow3/
Thanks. It looks they would be forced to cover any of their products regardless of where it was purchased from. There is an Asus service centre about a 5 minute drive from my house too.

Kevin

Man I really wish I could get one of those Asus Strix cards before my brother arrives in 10 days. Probably won't happen though. As soon as they come in stock, they are gone within seconds.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
About to pull the trigger on an MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11GB.

Top Bottom