• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This what I found.

"Australia statement notice
From 1 January 2012updated warranties apply to all ASUS products, consistent with the Australian Consumer Law. For the latest product warranty details please visit http://www.asus.com/support/Search/Warranty/ Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure."

The intended context there is all ASUS products purchased in Australia. You'd likely have to ship an imported GPU to a repair centre in the US and at your own cost.

EVGA is the only manufacturer that offers a global warranty policy, to the best of my knowledge. It's even transferable (i.e. tied to the owner rather than the purchaser).

I really wish Amazon would get some cards in. I would rather buy a card from them but I'll keep my EVGA preorder for now. Is there a place to know if a card is added to Amazon? Searching for specific PC components is terrible on Amazon's site.

So much for my EVGA 1080Ti FE. Spoke with EVGA over the past few days and will be RMA'ing the card.

I went to play it Friday, leaving things on stock for the time being. Started with Watch Dogs 2. Got everything cranked up at 3440x1440. After a few mins, a smell of smoke. Alt-tabbed to desktop to check Precision X. Temps were in high 70s and nothing seemed totally out of place. Still viewing desktop with game in background, fan began spinning up like it was trying to take off. Temperature started climbing steadily. At 84 I closed the game.

Same with Ghost Recon Wildlands. Meanwhile, other games (FH3, BF1, SW:BF) displayed artifacts consistently.

Using a Corsair TX750 PSU. I tried switching PCI-E cables and using the 6+2 PIN instead of 6-to-8 PIN converter. No change. I had a 1080 Hybrid running on this PSU recently with no issues.

Finally decided to plug in the PSU that's going into my new build (Corsair 750RMi). Same problem. Oh and horrible coil whine this entire time.

This card is going on water so I was thinking maybe it'll be fine once that happens but I'm not going to chance it. Having a card blow up while running a loop would be bad!

Pagusas

Elden Member
About to pull the trigger on an MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11GB.

So far I'm liking mine, the only thing I dislike is how ugly it is, but oh well.

One word of warning (that you probably already know), This card, unlike my past EVGA and Asus cards, seems to exhaust a lot of its heat right from the top instead of sides. I notice on full load she'll make my case temps jump 20-30 degrees as I had my case exhaust system setup for a different heat pattern. I'm making modifications now to get some fans blowing the heat out at the appropriate spots.

So keep an eye on your temps besides the gpu (it keeps it self very cool.. at the expense of everything else lol).

So far I'm liking mine, the only thing I dislike is how ugly it is, but oh well.

One word of warning (that you probably already know), This card, unlike my past EVGA and Asus cards, seems to exhaust a lot of its heat right from the top instead of sides. I notice on full load she'll make my case temps jump 20-30 degrees as I had my case exhaust system setup for a different heat pattern. I'm making modifications now to get some fans blowing the heat out at the appropriate spots.

So keep an eye on your temps besides the gpu (it keeps it self very cool.. at the expense of everything else lol).

When did you get one? How did you get one? Do we have a proper ship date.

Pagusas

Elden Member
When did you get one? How did you get one? Do we have a proper ship date.

Look at the previous page of this thread lol. I ordered it Friday the very moment New Egg put it up for sale (just got lucky I was on the page at the time). Got it Saturday at around noon.

It shipped like 15 minutes after I placed the order.

ZjOQbW5.jpg

IMG_3735.jpg

I know taste and all, but ugly? I would say it's among the better-looking cards compared to the competition.

Yes I find it ugly, I think the Strix and FTW3 look much better. That's just me though, I don't like red and black together much, nor do I like the cheap plastic "claws" it has for decor, or the ugly red leds that can't be changed to a different color (only the top leds can change color, which are blocked in my case anyway)

My Strix from Newegg is scheduled to deliver on Wednesday. I told myself I wouldn't take any time off before a vacation I'm going on the end of the month, but quickly put in for a half day for when the card arrives. So excited.

Wallach

My Strix from Newegg is scheduled to deliver on Wednesday. I told myself I wouldn't take any time off before a vacation I'm going on the end of the month, but quickly put in for a half day for when the card arrives. So excited.

Same here, though looking at the tracking I think it may actually get here tomorrow. I'm not that far from their warehouse.

Really glad I held out and didn't pre-order a FTW3.

Look at the previous page of this thread lol. I ordered it Friday the very moment New Egg put it up for sale (just got lucky I was on the page at the time). Got it Saturday at around noon.

It shipped like 15 minutes after I placed the order.

Very Strange. I've had one on order since 10 minuets after the first preorders anywhere (overclockers) went up.

Kevin

Any release dates yet for any of the custom cards besides the EVGA and the paper launch of the Strix? Has there been some kind of massive delay with these cards?

Chronos24

Hey guys!! Just got a Revolt 2 Pro off iBuypower with a 1080ti FE. What programs are you guys using to see clocks and temperature and all that?

Mutant

Can someone tl;dr the differences between reference and non-reference for the Ti?

A little hard to do, but I'll try.

Manufacturers take the reference silicon and then what they change varies depending on the brand and class. 99.9% of the time they change the cooling solution to their own technology because Nvidia's reference cooling is hot garbage, sometimes they add additional temp sensors, sometimes they change the PCB, sometimes they do a "factory overclock" where they overclock the GPU to a guaranteed level, sometimes they have neat exclusive technologies.

But there's not really an easy and simple answer other than you got to shop a bit and research the specific card you want to buy. I have a golden rule though: Don't buy a reference gpu unless you are planning on buying a separate cooling solution for it.

From experience I can say that if you're inexperienced with buying computer stuff and installing your own equipment, go for a EVGA card because those guys will fucking bend over backwards for you. Their cooling solutions before the ICX were pretty mediocre, but their customer service is the high watermark. I had a computer eat three EVGA gpus over several months and they kept replacing them, they sent me a replacement PSU once before I could even ship it to them. Also it looks like they're putting safety fuses in their high-end gpus now, WHY ISN'T EVERYBODY DOING THAT?

Asus is the inverse on customer service. I got a bad motherboard from them and it took forever to replace and their tone the whole time was one of distrust.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Thanks for the feedback guys. Haven't bitten on the MSI yet, but my options have expanded. Looking at PCCG's pre-orders, my options are:

- MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11GB
- MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Sea Hawk X 11GB
- Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB
- ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB

The first three have pre-order ETA for the next week. Even if I pre-order I'm not guaranteed, but I can wait for another shipment (or transfer my order). The ASUS ROG is sold out with no ETA for the next shipment, but it's still an option.

From my experience aftermarket cards are much of a muchness, tiny variances in factory OC clocks, mainly distinguished by the custom cooling. I'd like to OC my card a bit further like I do with my 1080, but that'll depend on silicon lottery.

I've never owned a Sea Hawk, so water cooled GPUs are new to me. The prospects of running cool and thus potentially hitting the peak OC more readily is appealing, but it's a ~$150+ markup, and going by benchmarks of 1080 Sea Hawks there's no real guarantee of an OC bonus. It's really just expensive cooling, so value is subjective.

Any tips? At this point I'm kinda leaning towards the Gigabyte AORUS for unexplainable reasons.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm having like close to 20 things delivered tomorrow to Friday. Poor FedEX guy, he's going to be so sick.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Haven't bitten on the MSI yet, but my options have expanded. Looking at PCCG's pre-orders, my options are:

The first three have pre-order ETA for the next week. Even if I pre-order I'm not guaranteed, but I can wait for another shipment (or transfer my order). The ASUS ROG is sold out with no ETA for the next shipment, but it's still an option.

From my experience aftermarket cards are much of a muchness, tiny variances in factory OC clocks, mainly distinguished by the custom cooling. I'd like to OC my card a bit further like I do with my 1080, but that'll depend on silicon lottery.

I've never owned a Sea Hawk, so water cooled GPUs are new to me. The prospects of running cool and thus potentially hitting the peak OC more readily is appealing, but it's a ~$150+ markup, and going by benchmarks of 1080 Sea Hawks there's no real guarantee of an OC bonus. It's really just expensive cooling, so value is subjective.

Any tips? At this point I'm kinda leaning towards the Gigabyte AORUS for unexplainable reasons.

No love for EVGA? Or have we soured on them with their last few indiscretions?

Pagusas

Elden Member

Of those I'd go with the Strix.

desu

Yes I find it ugly, I think the Strix and FTW3 look much better. That's just me though, I don't like red and black together much, nor do I like the cheap plastic "claws" it has for decor, or the ugly red leds that can't be changed to a different color (only the top leds can change color, which are blocked in my case anyway)

Even fits with the rest of the colors of your components. Aynway which case is that? I am looking for a decent low profile case like yours.

JCH!

GUYS! I was finally able to preorder the STRIX here in Spain! YAY!

I have a question though, what is the difference between the OC and the GAMING versions? Is the difference just the factory overclock? I have currently both preodered but the OC version is 40€ more so if that's the only difference then I'll just get the GAMING one and manually overclock.

paskowitz

FYI it seems the majority of these cards are running hot. So far I've read reports about MSI G11 and even the Gigabyte Xtreme having issues. If you experience this I would highly advise changing the thermal paste on your GPU too something high quality like Noctua NT-H1 or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaught. Also check the thermal pads and maybe add a drop of TIM to then as well.

Sometimes you just get a cards with a crap TIM application. I dropped the temps of my 980 Ti Classy by around 5-6c by doing this.

Arkanius

MSI armor cooler is basically the 980 ti cooler, which was insufficient in my opinion.

The MSI Gaming X has a new cooler, which is 2.5 slots. Should be much much better.

Top Bottom