• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia overtakes Microsoft to become world's most valuable public company

MikeM

Gold Member
Me about to buy an AMD GPU:

I Dont Season 8 GIF by Friends
Its all about use cases my man

Sentenza

I bet they will make fake sentience that simulates it but isnt actually swelf aware
That's *another* ongoing philosophical debate for the last few decades: "if no one will be able to tell the difference, is there even one?".

If at some point you get machines that can behave interact, reason, argue and pursue personal goals exactly like people, how do you even decide if they are "actually self aware"?
And does it even matter in the end?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
That's *another* ongoing philosophical debate for the last few decades: "if no one will be able to tell the difference, is there even one?".

If at some point you get machines that can behave interact, reason, argue and pursue personal goals exactly like people, how do you even decide if they are "actually self aware"?
And does it even matter in the end?

I love this sort of shit.

Personally, I don't think AI will ever be like humans, unless they're trying to emotionally manipulate us.

The reason is because the way we behave is the result of millions of years from evolving tribal apes. This, combined with the complex chemicals in our brain make us human.

For example, anxiety is an evolutionarily product that can help us survive, but too much all the time leads to disorders such as social anxiety disorders for example. Left untreated, this could link to other disorders such as depression. Disorders that dictate how we behave and live. A machine would be free of all it. It wouldn't have stress, depression, love etc because it wouldn't share our biochemistry.

However, I believe any hypothetical self aware machine could perfectly understand human behaviour and how we react. If it can do that then it could very easily manipulate us to do whatever it wants to.

So for me, self aware AI does matter and something we should be considered about.

mrqs

I'm about to start to invest...are these companies you mentioned still good right now (as in the next 2 weeks) or is it too late to buy stock from Nvidia right now?

I hate how most info i get online seems like every article has its own different agenda and i have no idea on what to buy. Is there any place for me to get more info on buying stocks?
I'm not an investment expert or anything like that, just follow the AI space since 2015. But my understanding is that the growth of these 5 companies in the next 5-10 years will make it look like today's valuation was pocket change.

winjer

Gold Member

Pricing for Nvidia's Blackwell platform has emerged in dribs and drabs, from analyst estimates to CEO Jensen Huang's comments. Simply put, it's going to cost buyers dearly to deploy these performance-packed products. Morgan Stanley estimates that Nvidia will ship 60,000 to 70,000 B200 server cabinets in 2025, translating to at least $210 billion in annual revenue. Despite the high costs, the demand for these powerful AI servers remains intense.

Super League Money GIF by Anderson .Paak

Salz01

So why have the tech stocks been dropping so much. Is it a good time to buy? Or are they just stabilizing?

StereoVsn

I don't think GPU sales are that important to Nvidia stocks at this point.

I still believe that Nvidia's real price should be at 2T, but I wonder if 2.5T is their "real price" for now.
Yeah, gaming GPU sales are irrelevant for the most part. And I am not sure about 2T, feel that’s low, but could see then drop another $250-300 bil over the course of next 12 months.

Then again, I ain’t a financial analyst so what do I know, lol.

Haint

So why have the tech stocks been dropping so much. Is it a good time to buy? Or are they just stabilizing?

There was no real reason behind most of it, they started to tank couple weeks ago when the Fed's good inflation numbers suggested interest rates were gonna be lowered soon (which I'm unclear why that negatively affects tech stocks specifically), and then the Crowdstrike glitch further cratered them. A lot of the big investment and financial people are still predicating a Great Depression style collapse (as they have been for nearly 5 years, since the post Covid money printer and valuation boom) so any downturns are fueling a positive feedback loop of people selling off en masse.

Fabieter

Yeah, gaming GPU sales are irrelevant for the most part. And I am not sure about 2T, feel that’s low, but could see then drop another $250-300 bil over the course of next 12 months.

Then again, I ain’t a financial analyst so what do I know, lol.

The problem is the economic war going on all over the world. If Nvidia could do business like they wanted than it would still be a lot of room for improvements, but as it is it's hard to say.

Mortisfacio

anyone with a buttload of shares?

like 5k+?

Not me, but I wish. I've got 760 shares with an $.88 cost average. I was making a measley $14/hr when I bought these, so definitely the best investment I made with what little I could afford at the time. Been holding since early 2016.

Top Bottom