• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT gets Trump's 1995 tax documents, might have avoided taxes for two decades

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Can't wait to see him and his supporters keep banging the "Hillary for prison" drum while this fucking idiot has committed tax fraud for two decades.

It's not fraud. He would've been audited and charged if so. The IRS doesn't play.

He has great accountants that know the loopholes--another advantage of being rich.

blahness

Is anything he did in this illegal? If not, who should we really be angry at? It would just show that he runs his businesses like most larger companies, operating on a loss on paper to escape taxes. It's fucked, but for the most part it is allowed and fucks everyone else by shrinking the tax pool.

Don't believe the liberal NY Times's lies.
Donald Trump pays his taxes. He pays the greatest taxes the best taxes. Why isn't the liberal media investigating Hillary's server which has deleted emails for the past 20 years?

The article has some advanced language and my English is struggling a bit with it.

From my understanding, his loss makes up for 20 years of taxes, so legally he has to pay nothing.

How is that bad under your law? Is e exploiting something? Someone please help me here
He is in no legal trouble, but it shows that he fucked up big time in 1995 with such a big loss and no good businessman loses almost a billion dollars and still thinks they are good at business

joebruin

The good thing about this is that the reason he could avoid paying taxes is because he failed so bad. So there's no good answer for him here...

yup. pick your poison donald. either you are the worst businessman and a fake billionaire or you are a criminal and should be locked up.

Literally everything this guy does or says should be enough to stop his campaign dead in his tracks, yet here we are. I doubt this will do much in the end.

Yeeeep. So I really don't understand why people keep saying this is big. Nothing is going to happen. Maybe a lame zinger from Hillary in the next debate.

Breads

Banned
So we have tax laws that rob our country it's due to cushion the blow to rich men's failed business endeavors?

The fuck is that shit.

Ekai

Well, now we know. America my country, I am so proud of you. A wealthy man like trump doesn't have to pay taxes for 18 years while people that are starving do. Smells like freedom.

Capitalism (in it's current form) is slavery to the upperclass confirmed.

Oh who am I kidding, we all knew that.

Saganator

If he's supposedly made billions since that loss like he claims, shouldn't he have caught up and need to pay taxes by now?

That's a pretty shitty loop hole. I bet a bunch of rich fuckers are gonna be pissed at Trump for the masses learning about this loop hole.

cackhyena

This just shows he's a piece of shit fat cat operating on loss like all the other companies that get away with it. Legal, but shitty. He'll make America run on loss too. It'll be the best loss, tho.

rjinaz

Legally allowed?

At first glance this seems the email thing... something only opponents will care about.

Well there is the fact that he refuses to release his taxes, so if this was true, he's obviously hiding it not wanting his supporters that hail him as a business genius to know. Not illegal but not presidential. But then again what else is new.

But really, who is the NYT's source that would have access to his returns? A former accountant? Attorney? Seems insane but Trump has no small list of enemies.

Its quite literally an inside job:

CtucSUkXgAAv_XO.jpg

joebruin

donald is just going to try and spin it and say that he took advantage of the rules and that the loopholes were the fault of career politicians like Hillary and only by electing Trump can America hope to fix the corrupt system. We should actually thank Trump because he brought to light that these loopholes exist.

MechaX

Says nothing about the legality of it so it won't be an issue

I dunno. Legality aside, I would like to see Trump spin the fact that he sunk his businesses nearly $1 billion in the red to the point where the government was essentially "... yeah, fuck, we aren't getting a dime out of him for like 20 years because of this fuck up."

megalowho

They're definitely going to run with the "he's so good at cheating taxes, that's why he's the one that can fix them" defense.

Zach

Because the documents sent to The Times did not include any pages from Mr. Trump’s 1995 federal tax return, it is impossible to determine how much he may have donated to charity that year. The state documents do show, though, that Mr. Trump declined the opportunity to contribute to the New Jersey Vietnam Veterans’ Memorial Fund, the New Jersey Wildlife Conservation Fund or the Children’s Trust Fund. He also declined to contribute $1 toward public financing of New Jersey’s elections for governor.
Haha... The Failing New York Times is going hard in the paint.

So we have tax laws that rob our country it's due to cushion the blow to rich men's failed business endeavors?

The fuck is that shit.

The wealthy look after themselves by supporting and sometimes participating in the making of tax laws.

The argument I've heard that tries to appeal to the common man's bewilderment at letting a wealthy individual count their losses against future taxable income in such a way is "foster investment and entrepreneurial endeavors" as that will clearly help the economy more than the wealthy individual paying their fair share of the taxes.

MechaX

They're definitely going to run with the "he's so good at cheating taxes, that's why he's the one that can fix them" defense.

"He knows the loop holes, that's how he knows exactly what to fix!"

.... Wait a minute, didn't he essentially say that when he bragged about his bankruptcies?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
As much as I cannot stand Trump, this is nothing. It is legal.

First of all, this is a pretty big deal considering taxes are one of the biggest issues Trump has been dealing with.

Secondly, if they can get 1995, whoever send this may have access to other years and is mailing them in staggered releases.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
His tax returns probably are like the holy grail for investigative journalists right now. I know we basically know what they say but anyone that can get them has such a great story.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
As much as I cannot stand Trump, this is nothing. It is legal.

It's legal, but it's not nothing.

Half of his campaign has been about how awesome a businessman he is, and that's one of the main reasons people are voting for him (other than being racists).

Pikelet

Seriously guys? Who the hell cares? It is not going to change much. Why does everyone act like these tax docs are going to turn the tide of the election?

His tax records were already a topic of debate and so this could not have been timed more perfectly. It catches him in yet another well-publicised lie. Not to mention the fact that the story further chips away at his "Great-businessman" myth.

Trump's chances of winning have already nosedived post-debate, and so something like this must really sting.

It's good news, and I think it's a fairly big deal.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
A flaw in the tax software program he used at the time prevented him from being able to print a nine-figure loss on Mr. Trump’s New York return, he said. So, for example, the loss of “-915,729,293” on Line 18 of the return printed out as “5,729,293.” As a result, Mr. Mitnick recalled, he had to use his typewriter to manually add the “-91,” thus explaining why the first two digits appeared to be in a different font and were slightly misaligned from the following seven digits.

I just love the notion of Trump's losses being so bigly that the tax software can't handle all the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom