• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT gets Trump's 1995 tax documents, might have avoided taxes for two decades

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Llama

For whatever reason, there actually are people on the fence this election at this point. I don't understand it.

Nothing at this point is about convincing Trump or Hillary supporters of anything.

Is this the kind of thing that will get people on the fence to favor Hillary? I don't know. I kind of doubt it, but maybe some.

Meh, it's the same every election. I never understand it.

giga

Trump campaign response.

CtuiJ9uUAAABOWC.jpg:large

Ric Flair

Banned
Donald Trumps entire platform right now is built off shit talking Hilary Clinton, Muslims, and Mexicans, it's fucking incredible that such a platform can work in this country.

HTupolev

So we have tax laws that rob our country it's due to cushion the blow to rich men's failed business endeavors?

The fuck is that shit.
It's a completely normal thing that everyone does. Just as you get taxed for income, you can claim losses against your income.

If you're a US taxpayer, when you're filling out your taxes, this is what the "standard deduction" is: an assumed "typical" reduction from your taxable income that everyone is allowed to claim if they don't want to carefully itemize all losses.

But when people have had really big losses, they can itemize losses rather than claim the standard deduction and thus count the huge losses against income to get a bigger deduction. If the loss is so big that it totally eliminates your income tax, you're allowed to carry it forward and apply it to the next year, and so on.

It's not that big of a news in Trump standard.

I was hoping some serious October surprise, like Putin gave Trump a 500 million check.

wildfire

Banned
I disagree. It's certainly not nothing. Trumps supporters and the so called Independents are always getting on Hillary about her perception, how she comes across as shady and not likable

This certainly doesn't make Trump look good when he's trying to put out an entirely different image of himself out there that differs from reality.

If things like this are a strike against Hillary they should be a strike against Trump. Not to his supporters obviously, but to the people on the fence at this point for whatever reason.

It's nothing in that it's not a scandal or anything like that sure. Well it will end up being nothing I guess. Even though it shouldn't.

Huh?

If this deduction is legal this supports the image he has cultivated.

This is bad because he had the fall out of the bankruptcy fall on other people. It's obvious that 1 billion loss wasn't for Trump but his partners.

The legal rules shouldn't have allowed this to happen.

bionic77

What's the big deal. He is smart and just taking advantage of the tax system. It's not like he raped someone.

Wait he did what? She was how old?

Brakke

Banned
Is it fair to say he "avoided" taxes based on this. Isn't it "he paid the taxes he was required to" and that requirement just happened to be $0 for a while here?

Feels more like evidence of his business incompetence than evidence of some scheme or scandal.

MechaX

What's the big deal. He is smart and just taking advantage of the tax system. It's not like he raped someone.

Wait he did what? She was how old?

Here's hoping the Trump Campaign can stay at work for an additional 30 minutes and give an official response to that too.

jayhawker

I'd imagine a majority of the voting populace, if they could do so without consequence, would not pay taxes.

Correct.

"Any one may so arrange his affairs that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which will best pay the Treasury; there is not even a patriotic duty to increase one's taxes." - Learned Hand, Helvering v. Gregory, 69 F.2d 809, 810-11 (2d Cir. 1934).

This Trump defending is leaving a bad taste in my mouth, though. Trump is a jackass. Okay, I feel better.

LiK

Is it fair to say he "avoided" taxes based on this. Isn't it "he paid the taxes he was required to" and that requirement just happened to be $0 for a while here?

Feels more like evidence of his business incompetence than evidence of some scheme or scandal.

the real story is he's such a big loser when it comes to doing business. we should laugh any time he says he's a successful businessman.

Futureman

I'd imagine a majority of the voting populace, if they could do so without consequence, would not pay taxes.

I'm not saying it's not smart to take advantage of the rule once you are in that position... But to be in that position means you are a shitty businessman aka not smart.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

that's also acceptable

Brakke

Banned
the real story is he's such a big loser when it comes to doing business. we should laugh any time he says he's a successful businessman.

Yeah totally. Like... I'm not saying this is a good look for him, lol. Just thinking about the angle to take.

Ploid 3.0

So as president, he will excel at creating problems, get America to pay for it, profit from it, all while keeping all blame away from himself. Sounds like good president material.

bionic77

Here's hoping the Trump Campaign can stay at work for an additional 30 minutes and give an official response to that too.
To be fair to the Don, when he allegedly forcibly raped that child, along with that other guy, neither one was President of the United States.

Nothing like what crooked Hillary and Bill have done.

rjinaz

Huh?

If this deduction is legal this supports the image he has cultivated.

This is bad because he had the fall out of the bankruptcy fall on other people. It's obvious that 1 billion loss wasn't for Trump but his partners.

The legal rules shouldn't have allowed this to happen.

You're right. What was I thinking. Trump supporters will admire him for this. Building such a large debt that he didn't have to pay taxes for two decades. Like welfare. Maybe we should drug test Trump? Haha now I'm going crazy.

n64coder

But when people have had really big losses, they can itemize losses rather than claim the standard deduction and thus count the huge losses against income to get a bigger deduction. If the loss is so big that it totally eliminates your income tax, you're allowed to carry it forward and apply it to the next year, and so on.

I took advantage of this myself about a decade ago. I had a large capital gain loss that I could carry forward to offset any gains until the loss was used up. I could also apply the loss against ordinary income but was limited to $3K per year.

It's not really a great thing to have because I rather not have the loss. It's better to have income and pay taxes on it.

VariantX

that's also acceptable
Yep. Trump don't give a shit about not paying taxes, it's the fact the story chips away at his image as a savvy entrepreneur and a winner. Its his brand. He cant project that image with stories like this floating about.

I hate everything Donald Trump stands for and want him to go down in a fiery inferno.

This is nothing. It might be a PR problem, but there will be no legal consequences for this, nor should there be.

I hate everything Donald Trump stands for and want him to go down in a fiery inferno.

This is nothing. It might be a PR problem, but there will be no legal consequences for this, nor should there be.

He's running for President, a "PR problem" is not nothing. Focus groups hated his line about being smart for avoiding taxes in the debate and Trump has been desperately trying to suppress this information because it is damaging.

No one cares about legal consequences.

During the debate, the things the focus groups reacted to the most negatively were when he made the case that he didn't pay taxes.

People hate paying taxes. What people hate even more is when rich people don't pay taxes. A person working a job, making $30,000 a year pays their taxes, and now here's this rich asshole who hasn't paid taxes for 20 years? That shit leaves a mark on the electorate.

You could literally say the same for Clinton's e-mails and yet the damage that did politically was tremendous.

JABEE

Trump campaign response.

Who was President in 1995?

Old Trumpy got one over on the Clintons and people are hating on him?

What's the big deal?

Trump is a scumbag. Fuck these leeches on society and the politicians who enable them.

Yoda

Avoiding taxes isn't an issue (for Trump at least), however the loss blows a giant hole in the "competent businessman" argument he's been making. Had it been a more recent year it'd be more potent.

RaidenZR

Maybe someone better than me can photoshop Trump's mug into this, but this gif seems appropriate after seeing how much money was cited.

lT6sfRh.jpg

Edit: just saw the campaign's response. What a fucking joke. Only took them a sentence or two to end the hand-waving and start the finger-pointing at Clinton.

JABEE

I really hope "not paying your taxes" is a real issue in this election,

A lot of wealthy donors out there aren't going to be happy.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

People keep saying this, but isn't the counterpoint that if you can lose a billion dollars and still be in business 20 years later, you might be sort of good at business?

I don't think losing a lot of money at once necessarily means you're a bad businessperson. I'm not saying this proves Trump is good at business by any means, but one colossal loss doesn't disprove it. His successes and failures over time would be a much better indicator of his skill, IMO.

gaugebozo

Trump campaign response.

They really have to learn to stop combining their narratives. Saying the "alleged" document was "obtained illegally" doesn't help your case.

"I never had sex with her, and you shouldn't have come home at that time anyway!"

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

During the debate, the things the focus groups reacted to the most negatively were when he made the case that he didn't pay taxes.

People hate paying taxes. What people hate even more is when rich people don't pay taxes. A person working a job, making $30,000 a year pays their taxes, and now here's this rich asshole who hasn't paid taxes for 20 years? That shit leaves a mark on the electorate.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Avoiding taxes isn't an issue (for Trump at least), however the loss blows a giant hole in the "competent businessman" argument he's been making. Had it been a more recent year it'd be more potent.
I think avoiding taxes is the issue IMO. Unless you are speaking about him losing support from his zombies. His opponent showed her taxes and not only that, paid her fair share - if I'm not mistaking. People who can see through his lies, know he isn't a smart businessman. A lot of his followers know as well.

Edit: Also this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom