• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how US tech firms would deal with this.
They'd pour their money into opposing it, you can bet that.

If this were a normal president I'd add the caveat of "depending on what Trump decides to do," but given what he's done already, I feel almost completely assured that whatever he does for cybersecurity will end up opposed by Silicon Valley.

Yup. With businesses getting involved I really don't see how members of the GOP just stand by.
The best thing those businesses can probably do at this point is make public statements (like Amazon, Uber, Starbucks or whatever) and then get on the line with the GOP leadership and start making some threats.

I said it yesterday, but it's weird to live in a world where I'm actively rooting for the Koch brothers to take Trump down.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I wonder how US tech firms would deal with this.

Considering the level of knowledge of Trump and the interference of Bannon, I fear the worst. In terms of regulations and ways in which the implementation will be a huge fuck up for a lot of companies.

Tovarisc

LL0XzWY.png

https://twitter.com/MarkWarner/status/826205195151560704

Should start soon.

oh booooooy

EO on The Cyber

Direct the appropriate department to report every 100 days on taking the cyber battle to ISIS instead of telling them what we're going to do before doing it by email. We're going to wipe them off the cyber like we're doing on the ground.

Setup a national database of media companies that post fake news, we're going to make the companies responsible for their activist reporters that are using cyber to make america less safe. If they can't fight fake news, we're going to run them, or shut them down.

Build a wonderful cyber wall, it'll be so better than the one China has.

Make me really sad looking at my Facebook feed. 80% of it is for this and think its amazing what Trump is doing. Literally the majority of people I know LOVE it.

Sad, sad, stuff.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Make me really sad looking at my Facebook feed. 80% of it is for this and think its amazing what Trump is doing. Literally the majority of people I know LOVE it.

Sad, sad, stuff.

That's incredibly depressing to hear, that there are so many actually supporting this.

Disgusting. Using that attack as a springboard... This defies belief.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Sad, sad, stuff.

Contemporary progressives are learning a hard lesson; the country has traditionally opposed just treatment of minorities and immigrants every step of the way. "Most people" are usually at the time on the side of the status quo or actively buy in to propaganda convincing them to hold prejudiced or flat out untruthful beliefs.

With social media, we can now more directly see what it looks like.

That's incredibly depressing to hear, that there are so many actually supporting this.

Contemporary progressives are learning a hard lesson; the country has traditionally opposed just treatment of minorities and immigrants every step of the way. "Most people" are usually at the time on the side of the status quo or actively buy in to propaganda convincing them to hold prejudiced or flat out untruthful beliefs.

I'm seeing some depressing stuff. My own aunt just put up a post saying and I quote "Now allowing in Syrian refugees and closing our borders isn't "MEAN" or "HEARTLESS". I lock the doors to MY HOUSE every night. I don't lock them because I hate the people outside my house I lock them because I love the people inside my house." And it has tons of likes and hearts.

I mean what the fuck. And my feed is FILLED with this stuff. Tons of it. Its hard to even believe

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

Sad, sad, stuff.

My mother, a wonderful lady, and amazing person who has always been there for me supports Trump, and you can't talk her out of it. It's heartbreaking. We really are two different countries at this point, it sucks.

Is there a precedent to not do this? Sounds unusual at least given partisanship.

Sad, sad, stuff.
That's interesting. I live in the Midwest and have friends in pretty conservative/libertarian circles. I think on Facebook I've really only seen three or four friends really defending it. Those 3-4 are certainly being very vocal and annoying, but that's about it. Like I said already, if the order had been written differently and made more allowances and exemptions, I think support would have been broader. That my circle of Facebook is so down on it speaks volumes to me.

trembli0s

It's a little stunning that people are so unaware of the massive historical swings back and forth in history on immigration policies in the US. We banned Chinese from entering and essentially closed our doors for long stretches of time.

That's interesting. I live in the Midwest and have friends in pretty conservative/libertarian circles. I think on Facebook I've really only seen three or four friends really defending it. Those 3-4 are certainly being very vocal and annoying, but that's about it. Like I said already, if the order had been written differently and made more allowances and exemptions, I think support would have been broader. That my circle of Facebook is so down on it speaks volumes to me.

I'm in the Midwest and its pretty much the opposite. In fact this is one of the more united things I've seen from them on Trump.

But hey, every area is different.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm seeing some depressing stuff. My own aunt just put up a post saying and I quote "Now allowing in Syrian refugees and closing our borders isn't "MEAN" or "HEARTLESS". I lock the doors to MY HOUSE every night. I don't lock them because I hate the people outside my house I lock them because I love the people inside my house." And it has tons of likes and hearts.

I mean what the fuck. And my feed is FILLED with this stuff. Tons of it. Its hard to even believe

This sounds like the typical case of people who don't really think through their ideas. Closing the border to immigrants isn't like locking your house at night. It's putting a gate around your community and saying certain people you don't like can't live there.

It is also pretty literally un-american, in terms of the supposed ideals america represents. But plenty of people don't see it that way, including many who believe they are patriotic. It is sadly also not uncommon for people to enjoy the vaguely defined pride of national identity without wanting to think of any responsibilities that come along with supporting a nation's creed.

This, aside from the lack of understanding that people coming into the country are already "secure". Already vetted. Trump's Xtreme Vetting is of course, empty propaganda - a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Garlador

... So, in other words, he'll likely fire her.

He hasn't "thought twice" about most of his plans. I doubt he's even "thought once" about most of them.

Poor analogy from your aunt.

See, this nation isn't just HER nation. This is like if she locked the doors to her house, but she was also living with her husband who just invited guests over and then refused to let them in, even though her husband had vetted them, vouched for them, and knew they were in need.

The "house" in this case doesn't just belong to her. Neither does America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom